Menu

November Frugalistas 2020

mommyoffive

Speaking of maxing out benefits, Youngest just maxed out her lifetime orthodontia benefit and had a palate expander put in.  She definitely needs two phase braces because her permanent teeth are impacted, but we hadn't planned on having two in braces at once.  If we had proceeded as planned this spring, we would've had three in braces....but we delayed starting older dd's treatment due to covid.  Younger son should be finishing up braces in the next month or two. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Speaking of maxing out benefits, Youngest just maxed out her lifetime orthodontia benefit and had a palate expander put in.  She definitely needs two phase braces because her permanent teeth are impacted, but we hadn't planned on having two in braces at once.  If we had proceeded as planned this spring, we would've had three in braces....but we delayed starting older dd's treatment due to covid.  Younger son should be finishing up braces in the next month or two. 

I am going to join you in having a few in braces at one time.  We delayed oldest because of covid.   Hopefully we can do it come spring or summer if covid can get under control. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Apparently today is a high spend day.  I found a bike for my 3 year old used on facebook marketplace.  Great condition for $20. It will be his big  individual christmas gift.  Now only ds7 to find that big individual gift.  He's my hardest kid to shop for so I've got my work cut out for me.

You are finding all the deals.   Awesome.   It will feel so good to have it done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Hi, can I post too? This week we are having a no spend week except for gas as we had an unexpected car repair bill happen in the same week as a plumbing problem that also caused a couple of meals of take out and we had just paid off our credit card. The good news was that dh was able to fix the problem himself, it just took him a few days as he has been down in his back and could only work on it after work, so yay for that!  No spend week shouldn't be a problem for us since we are still stocked up on food because of corona.

The weather has also been record breaking warm and dry here in our area, so we are still hanging out all our laundry.  A friend gave us some blackberry sprouts that she didn't want and I had a $5 of $25 coupon for the dollar store that I used to buy the boys new underwear and refill a few things we used up from our medicine box. Oh! and I also caught Old Navy's $5 pajama pants sale so everyone will get a new pair for Christmas. I try to catch it every year, but missed it last year. 

I really appreciate this thread and look forward to reading it to see what creative things you ladies are doing, thanks!

Yay, welcome.   Glad you are joining us.  You got lots of good deals.  That is so nice to have a handy husband.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

You are finding all the deals.   Awesome.   It will feel so good to have it done. 

I try really hard to finish my Christmas shopping before Advent starts so I can enjoy that season fully.  I'm pretty sure I'll be entirely done before then aside from climbing stuff but that is dh's task mainly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

@saraha anyone is welcome!  glad your dh was able to fix the plumbing problem himself. We're having a few household issues that I'm hoping we can fix ourselves.  The plumbing stuff (leaking sink, gurgling toilet, and running toilet) I'm almost positive we can.  The furnace issue, not so confident about that but we do have one last idea of what we need to do for it before we call so there is still a little hope. 

Good luck with your no spend week.  I was contemplating doing one this week but with finding deals on much anticipated gifts I had to spend

Thanks! I don't know how handy he is, but he is really good at learning from youtube videos!

• Like 2

True Story, I don't know what we would do without youtube! One of our biggest youtube savings was when the springs? in our 1999 van went out. He did some digging around on some kind of Astro Van message board, watched a youtube video and installed some kind of brackets that fixed the problem and cost about $69! I love youtube and this forum, all of the info sharing is so helpful

Edited by saraha
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Soror, if it's close, you can have the root canal done, and have them put in a temp filling under 2020 insurance, and then have them do the crown under 2021 insurance. I had to do a two-year split this past winter because I had maxed out my dental benefits.

We had already planned to split the root canal and crown, the endodontist actually recommended waiting 30-60 days anyway and he is scheduled Dec 7. I'm sorry you had a lot of dental bills too, it stinks.

38 minutes ago, saraha said:

Thanks! I don't know how handy he is, but he is really good at learning from youtube videos!

You can learn anything from YouTube I swear, it is such a help!

• Like 2

My brother, who is broke, wanted an exercise machine. He had a $25 Walmart gift card that he was going to "sell" me so he could buy one off of Craigslist. DH went for a walk in the neighborhood today and found the same one on the sidewalk. So he got it for free. Yay even if it isn't my win.

I broke down and we had Little Caesar's last night as I had a horrible headache. I'm still fighting it today. Ugh. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Apparently today is a high spend day.  I found a bike for my 3 year old used on facebook marketplace.  Great condition for $20. It will be his big  individual christmas gift.  Now only ds7 to find that big individual gift.  He's my hardest kid to shop for so I've got my work cut out for me.

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

My oldest will be 12 in Dec. He is getting harder and harder to shop for. But this year he made it easy by wanting a one year playstation network membership which is usually $60/yr.  Just got it to under $30!

Nice finds! I am having my kids finish their lists so I can start the look out, it makes it easier when you have some time to look for things.

2 hours ago, saraha said:

Hi, can I post too? This week we are having a no spend week except for gas as we had an unexpected car repair bill happen in the same week as a plumbing problem that also caused a couple of meals of take out and we had just paid off our credit card. The good news was that dh was able to fix the problem himself, it just took him a few days as he has been down in his back and could only work on it after work, so yay for that!  No spend week shouldn't be a problem for us since we are still stocked up on food because of corona.

The weather has also been record breaking warm and dry here in our area, so we are still hanging out all our laundry.  A friend gave us some blackberry sprouts that she didn't want and I had a $5 of $25 coupon for the dollar store that I used to buy the boys new underwear and refill a few things we used up from our medicine box. Oh! and I also caught Old Navy's $5 pajama pants sale so everyone will get a new pair for Christmas. I try to catch it every year, but missed it last year. 

I really appreciate this thread and look forward to reading it to see what creative things you ladies are doing, thanks!

Welcome! We aren't officially no spend but pretty darn close to it, probably for the rest of the year it will be little more than the necessities with umpteen bills coming in. We're still giving the younger 3 kids a small allowance and dh has some spending money for work. I took no money last month but am going to take a little this month. No eating out, but that is pretty typical for us. Entertainment is streaming tv.  I did buy frozen pizzas (from Aldi's) last week, which was a step up from only homemade pizzas the month before. I love the $5 off $25 at DG, I'm hoping to hit that next Saturday I have a list of personal care and cleaning products we need.

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Walmart is 75% off Halloween.   You can even get candy at that price online.

Target has buy 2 get one free Disney movies.

Mercy, I'm just now clearing out the Halloween candy, I surely don't want more!!! My mom and mil gave the kids WAY too much!!!

• Like 3

I got my $5 Red Cross gift card, that will go towards books for the kids for Christmas. I generally buy these used unless it is a fair amount cheaper new. I'm still waiting for my Crowdtap $5 giftcard and dh should be getting his $5 Red Cross gift card too since he donated the same day. REally hoping to at least fund Christmas books with gift cards, maybe our Christmas game too (I always buy a family game for the day before Christmas).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soror said:

I got my $5 Red Cross gift card, that will go towards books for the kids for Christmas. I generally buy these used unless it is a fair amount cheaper new. I'm still waiting for my Crowdtap $5 giftcard and dh should be getting his $5 Red Cross gift card too since he donated the same day. REally hoping to at least fund Christmas books with gift cards, maybe our Christmas game too (I always buy a family game for the day before Christmas).

Did you sign up for any of the others?  I recommend 20/20 for high money surveys.  I got an email about a $355 survey yesterday. 

And product report card.  Big and little surveys and lots of them everyday.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Did you sign up for any of the others?  I recommend 20/20 for high money surveys.  I got an email about a $355 survey yesterday. 

And product report card.  Big and little surveys and lots of them everyday.

I did sign up for 20/20, I got my first survey offer today. $125 for a 90 min webcam focus group BUT when I took the survey to see if I qualified it said I didn't. Fingers crossed something else comes up, that would be a big boost for Christmas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I did sign up for 20/20, I got my first survey offer today. $125 for a 90 min webcam focus group BUT when I took the survey to see if I qualified it said I didn't. Fingers crossed something else comes up, that would be a big boost for Christmas.

I hope you get one.  

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay, so happy.   Health, life, vision, and dental insurance are all the same price as last year.  I thought with covid health insurance would skyrocket.

Our health insurance went up, but not a huge increase, so I'm good with it. Everything else stayed the same. DH's employer also added Hospital Indemnity, and since we haven't had a year in the past 3 where DD hasn't been hospitalized, we went for it. It's $700 out of DH's check spread over the year, and they'll pay us $1000 if one of us is admitted to the hospital and then $100 per day in the hospital. I think it's a pretty fair bet.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Our health insurance went up, but not a huge increase, so I'm good with it. Everything else stayed the same. DH's employer also added Hospital Indemnity, and since we haven't had a year in the past 3 where DD hasn't been hospitalized, we went for it. It's $700 out of DH's check spread over the year, and they'll pay us $1000 if one of us is admitted to the hospital and then $100 per day in the hospital. I think it's a pretty fair bet.

Neat benefit.   I haven't ever heard of it before.   It sounds like it will be good for your family.   When you say they pay you, is it that they give you that cash and then the hospital bill is then covered like normal?  Or is the money they are paying you instead of insurance?

25 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Neat benefit.   I haven't ever heard of it before.   It sounds like it will be good for your family.   When you say they pay you, is it that they give you that cash and then the hospital bill is then covered like normal?  Or is the money they are paying you instead of insurance?

Cash to us, hospital bills covered under health insurance (as normal covered with deductibles, etc). The policy is essentially what Aflac does, but I don't know what company this is through (other than DH's employer).

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Cash to us, hospital bills covered under health insurance (as normal covered with deductibles, etc). The policy is essentially what Aflac does, but I don't know what company this is through (other than DH's employer).

Thanks for explaining it.  Got it now. 

• Like 1

Does anyone need a $40 referral to Rakuten?  Let me know if you want one.

Oh my gosh this black Friday sale from Walmart sucks.  We bought some stuff online to pick up in store.  They can't figure out how to let it out of their inventory so dh can leave with it.  We have already payed.   And we bought 2 and they only have one in their system for us.  Ahhhhhh.  What a hassle. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh my gosh this black Friday sale from Walmart sucks.  We bought some stuff online to pick up in store.  They can't figure out how to let it out of their inventory so dh can leave with it.  We have already payed.   And we bought 2 and they only have one in their system for us.  Ahhhhhh.  What a hassle. 

that is annoying!

38 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I will take the referral, please. 

So sorry for the WM mess, how frustrating. 

8 hours ago, hjffkj said:

well we got the gross toilet water ti drain from the shower and toilet.  And we got it to stop backing up into the shower but no luck getting it to stop clogging on every flush

We've not had it back into the tub but clogs before. Snaking is needed sometimes and also they have heavy duty declogger you can pour in the toilet too.

• Like 1

@SororGood luck on dental work!!

@hjffkjSorry about the toilet. We had a clogged kitchen sink right at the beginning of Covid. It was horrible. I hope yours is fixed quickly and CHEAPLY!!!

We need a new water pump and tank. And our fridge is not working This is our 3rd fridge in under 10 yrs!!! Yes, it's under warranty but I am worried that they won't be able to fix it and we will need a new one and new ones are not available right now. We shall see.

2020 has NOT been a frugal year at all, but I am no complaining. I know it could have been a lot worse. I feel very very blessed in our lives.

Oh!! Here is a frugal thing - my kids have been wanting a basketball hoop for a long time and we just found one on freecycle, so yay!!

• Like 5

We are thinking our puppy has ringworm.   We will hopefully be taking her to the vet today.  

I started cleaning last night just in case.  I used the wet back or steam cleaner to do it.  After doing the whole tank I find out that it didn't suck any of the water back into the holding tank.  Sigh.  So it is soaked and I don't know why it is doing that. 

Dh finally got the Walmart situation worked out. But it took forever.   A great manager was there.  Because they didn't have the 2nd item in stock,  she gave him a much more expensive one.  Bigger and better brand too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

@hjffkjSorry about the toilet. We had a clogged kitchen sink right at the beginning of Covid. It was horrible. I hope yours is fixed quickly and CHEAPLY!!!

We need a new water pump and tank. And our fridge is not working This is our 3rd fridge in under 10 yrs!!! Yes, it's under warranty but I am worried that they won't be able to fix it and we will need a new one and new ones are not available right now. We shall see.

2020 has NOT been a frugal year at all, but I am no complaining. I know it could have been a lot worse. I feel very very blessed in our lives.

Oh!! Here is a frugal thing - my kids have been wanting a basketball hoop for a long time and we just found one on freecycle, so yay!!

Oh my gosh I am so sorry about your fridge.   That is so horrible to have that many issues with them in such a small time.   Do you have a back up fridge for now?  What a headache especially now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hjffkj said:

well we got the gross toilet water ti drain from the shower and toilet.  And we got it to stop backing up into the shower but no luck getting it to stop clogging on every flush

This might help, or you might have already know this so ignore it, but outside your house somewhere, or it might be under the house ack, there should be an access where you can unscrew a lid that is attached to the main sewer line and feed a snake into it from that direction. That is one of the things we had to do this weekend for our plumbing issues.

https://www.bayareaplumbinginc.com/how-to-locate-sewer-cleanout/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

45 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We are thinking our puppy has ringworm.   We will hopefully be taking her to the vet today.  

I started cleaning last night just in case.  I used the wet back or steam cleaner to do it.  After doing the whole tank I find out that it didn't suck any of the water back into the holding tank.  Sigh.  So it is soaked and I don't know why it is doing that. 

Dh finally got the Walmart situation worked out. But it took forever.   A great manager was there.  Because they didn't have the 2nd item in stock,  she gave him a much more expensive one.  Bigger and better brand too.

Ugh, that when it rains it pours feeling. Im sorry

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Alls well that ends well they say but it is still a big pain.

47 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Geez, 3 fridges in 10 yrs!!!!

I ordered some Christmas presents for the girls, I shopped around and found one item $20 cheaper.  So, I have the 'big items' for them done. I still need books for each and I want to do a small useful thing- I know I want to do a watch for dd3, a wallet for ds, and a clock for dd1 but I can't figure out dd2 yet. I'll also buy a family game, probably wait until they are on sale and maybe a puzzle for Christmas break, Menards had some puzzles but I didn't see any games I liked. Then there are stockings but that should be covered by my rebate from Menard's we spent so much on home improvement this summer! 

I also ordered some through Rakuten so I should get $40 back @mommyoffive How long does that take to go through? I'm hoping to get it in time to put it towards other kids Christmas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saraha said:

This might help, or you might have already know this so ignore it, but outside your house somewhere, or it might be under the house ack, there should be an access where you can unscrew a lid that is attached to the main sewer line and feed a snake into it from that direction. That is one of the things we had to do this weekend for our plumbing issues.

https://www.bayareaplumbinginc.com/how-to-locate-sewer-cleanout/

thank you! we will certainly do that if snake the toilet doesn't work

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay.  Was it the first time it happened at that house?  I hope it doesn't happen again.

yes, first time.  I didn't actually see what was clogging the toilet.  whatever it was didn't get coiled up in the snake but just became dislodged I guess.  My kids aren't known to put things in the toilet but who knows.

• Like 2

Finished grocery shopping for the week and stayed mostly on budget. I did go $9 over for sodas for dh, he drinks them at work and they are much cheaper to buy at the grocery store. Why he never does is beyond me. He always says he doesn't drink much or is going to drink water but continues buying them out of the vending machine. I won't buy sodas for the house unless it is a special occasion but it is stupid to pay more for them when he is drinking them anyway.

I'm chipping away at Christmas and stocking stuffers. I really have a good chunk of things for the younger 2 my older 2 have to be figuring out what they want and they keep putting me off. I told dd1 I want a stocking list tonight and I got part of a stocking list out of ds yesterday.

I've now redeemed 2 $5 gift cards from Crowdtap and am waiting on them, once they come in I can buy some books for Christmas. I already have $10 from the 2 for giving blood for dh and I.

Ordered the $5- 96 count Ticonderago pencils this am, my stash is getting low and they are my favorite. I didn't buy any school supplies this year but just made do with what we had.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Soror said:

Congrats, good job handy woman!

I deserve no congrats.  I woke up this morning to my 7 year old telling me we didn't own enough towels.  Turns are bath downstairs showers have now flooded OVER and the basement is filled with sewer water. Time to call in a professional.

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I deserve no congrats.  I woke up this morning to my 7 year old telling me we didn't own enough towels.  Turns are bath downstairs showers have now flooded OVER and the basement is filled with sewer water. Time to call in a professional.

UGH, sounds like a bigger problem 😞 Sorry