Menu

November Frugalistas 2020

mommyoffive

16 hours ago, Soror said:

Very good news- I heard back from the endodontist and the insurance covers 80% there and it is going to be $343, so much less than I expected. They said the crown should be done next year and we'll have some on our HSA then, that will be covered 50%. 

That is great news. 

• Like 2

I think I am done stocking up for now so that should help with grocery budget. That has always been my biggest budget breaker, no matter how high I set the amount. We are coming under the budget for everything else this year....let's hope the next two months bring no surprises.

Our medical insurance and property taxes are going up significantly for next year, so I need to start putting money away for that.

I am not sure what we are doing with presents this year. I keep trying to decrease amount of stuff we buy, but bc we are not going anywhere, I can't do memberships and outings and trips.  Arghhh

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Nice. My kids are working on lists, I need them to get in gear so I can see if I can find good deals anywhere.

I asked my kids for lists already.   One kid asked for  a phone.   Nope .  One kid wanted a super expensive drum kit even though they don't drum at all.  Nope.  Knowing them I want to get them things they will use not just junk that they use for a few days.  That is the hard part.  My youngest only wanted a necklace.   She said she already has enough toys.

• Like 3

groceries were delivered and only one things wasn't available!! My biggest issue with Walmart delivery right now is that sometimes tons of stuff will be out of stock when the picker is picking.  So much so that I have to make a grocery trip to a different store.  But these are all items that I NEVER have an issue finding and it makes me think the picker is being lazy.  I don't like paying for a service that isn't actually making things easier

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SereneHome said:

I think I am done stocking up for now so that should help with grocery budget. That has always been my biggest budget breaker, no matter how high I set the amount. We are coming under the budget for everything else this year....let's hope the next two months bring no surprises.

Our medical insurance and property taxes are going up significantly for next year, so I need to start putting money away for that.

I am not sure what we are doing with presents this year. I keep trying to decrease amount of stuff we buy, but bc we are not going anywhere, I can't do memberships and outings and trips.  Arghhh

I have been stocking up too.  With everyone freaking out about different things, I don't want to be caught empty handed.   But it does hurt the monthly budget. 

I know I don't want more stuff either.   We normally do a international trip and outings, with limited things.  But this year it isn't going to work out.  And the trip we gave them last year for Christmas to Tokyo, got canceled.   I don't want to disappoint them again.   Ssf o stuff it is.  Sorry just really down about covid today.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Sorry, property taxes always tick me off and med. insurance is a mess in this country. I'm with you hoping for no suprises.

17 hours ago, hjffkj said:

groceries were delivered and only one things wasn't available!! My biggest issue with Walmart delivery right now is that sometimes tons of stuff will be out of stock when the picker is picking.  So much so that I have to make a grocery trip to a different store.  But these are all items that I NEVER have an issue finding and it makes me think the picker is being lazy.  I don't like paying for a service that isn't actually making things easier

I think it depends on when they have stuff out and stocked. I seem to have the best luck if get things early. Last Sunday I did an early order and got everything with no subs and dh didn't have to wait to get a parking spot, half were empty.

• Like 1

My kids are working on lists, supposed to finished by this weekend.

I'm continuing to be diligent with food waste but threw out 2 things yesterday- 1/3 bunch of grapes- the girls froze some months ago but never ate them all (I did get them for 99c a lb so not a huge loss) and 3 hamburger buns- I had put the partial package in the frig after not using it, got it out last night to find that evidently it was bad when I put it in there.

I used some old frozen pieces of gf bread for some breadcrumbs for our Thursday meal and did a lentil soup for my lunch with some homemade veggie broth.

Going to pick up deer from my parents today, ya!!! I'll be making deer jerky asap, the kids are dying for it.

Nearly to a $5 giftcard on Crowdtap, that will go towards Christmas.

Got in a $98 Menard's rebate, I think I might use that for stocking stuffers.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Soror said:

I think it depends on when they have stuff out and stocked. I seem to have the best luck if get things early. Last Sunday I did an early order and got everything with no subs and dh didn't have to wait to get a parking spot, half were empty.

yeah, I just feel sometimes there are things missing from my order that are never out of stock. Like last week they were out of bacon. I simply can't believe that they couldn't have substituted that item.

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

yeah, I just feel sometimes there are things missing from my order that are never out of stock. Like last week they were out of bacon. I simply can't believe that they couldn't have substituted that item.

I agree, seems like here it is the same, they are much less likely to substitute then they were before, even when you click substitutes allowed. I think the shoppers are busy and just find it easier to say there aren't any, it is very frustrating.

First- the bad for today- got a $172 bill for Scouts- dues and registration- ugh. Ds has hardly been involved with Covid and honestly he would be still in at all if he had already finished his Eagle earlier- which was also put off by COVID. UGH. UGH.

The good. I got meat today from Mom, 8 or so big packs of deer cut into chunks and then she also gave me 5- 1.5# packs of ground beef as they have more than they will use and have more coming. YA!

Also, I got a $109 rebate from a medical bill, not sure what from, you know we've had upteen million medical bills lately. So, that will help cover that, would be nice if it could help cover my mounting dental bills but no such luck I guess!

EArned a $5 Amazon gift card from Crowdtap.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

I had to order flea meds today, and I thought I would share my frugal tip with y'all. I order generics from Little City Dogs. I have found that using the generic Program along with the generic Capstar as needed works very well for us. We have 3 dogs and 4 cats, so paying for it at the vet is cost prohibitive. I've been buying Little City Dogs' products for close to 10 years. Now they even offer generic Ivermectin for HW prevention. 

• Like 1

I plan on going back and reading people's posts but am a bit too busy at the moment right now, so a quick update and then later tonight I'll respond to pictures.

So, a few weeks ago I decided to go through all of our legos to pull out the pieces we have that can be used for an expensive set dd wants for christmas.  I started the process not just because it was expensive but because it was hard to find.  I should finish the process tonight and it is looking like the $120 set will only cost $40 in pieces to fill in what we already have.  It was a fun process but I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't sorting during the normal time dh and I watch tv or a movie at night.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I plan on going back and reading people's posts but am a bit too busy at the moment right now, so a quick update and then later tonight I'll respond to pictures.

So, a few weeks ago I decided to go through all of our legos to pull out the pieces we have that can be used for an expensive set dd wants for christmas.  I started the process not just because it was expensive but because it was hard to find.  I should finish the process tonight and it is looking like the $120 set will only cost $40 in pieces to fill in what we already have.  It was a fun process but I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't sorting during the normal time dh and I watch tv or a movie at night.

How did you do this?  Did you find out what pieces are in the other set?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

I had to order flea meds today, and I thought I would share my frugal tip with y'all. I order generics from Little City Dogs. I have found that using the generic Program along with the generic Capstar as needed works very well for us. We have 3 dogs and 4 cats, so paying for it at the vet is cost prohibitive. I've been buying Little City Dogs' products for close to 10 years. Now they even offer generic Ivermectin for HW prevention. 

Did you have to get a perscription from your vet to order?

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How did you do this?  Did you find out what pieces are in the other set?

Yes,  you can look up the instructions for any lego set both current and retired.  The list of pieces is in the back of the instruction manuals. We have tens of thousands of loose legos.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Yes,  you can look up the instructions for any lego set both current and retired.  The list of pieces is in the back of the instruction manuals. We have tens of thousands of loose legos.  

Just a general goggle search or is there a good site? My kids would probably  love doing that.  We have so many Legos too.  How do you store yours?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, popmom said:

Thanks for the tip, I hope I remember that when I need it!

18 hours ago, hjffkj said:

My girls aren't super into Lego but that is great info just in case. I'm sure that was a lot of work.

• Like 2

Today's frugal activities: 

- taught this am and will teach this pm

-dh is doing OT today

-lots of baking- made homemade granola working on using nuts and seeds I bought more of than I use and bulk gf oats I bought this month; working on homemade gf bread, still to do- make chicken stock from the leftover backbone from baked chicken on Wednesday (will go in freezer) and yogurt

Kids are finishing Christmas lists so I can start hunting down things, although if they just want money it doesn't really matter, we'll see.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Just a general goggle search or is there a good site? My kids would probably  love doing that.  We have so many Legos too.  How do you store yours?

The lego site has all the instructions to every set including retired

Storage wise: we have this ikea piece with bins filled to the brim. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/trofast-frame-light-white-stained-pine-pine-60308695/

This unit filled to the brim. https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-29309001-Drawer-Drawers-Casters/dp/B00KL7VWVS/ref=sr_1_52?dchild=1&keywords=rubbermaid+drawer+storage&qid=1604774433&sr=8-52

This unit filled to the brim

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-28308002-Drawer-Drawers-Casters/dp/B001RCUNOI/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=sterilite+drawer+storage&qid=1604774509&sr=8-10

and one  29 qt heft storage bin almost fillled completely.  

I would like a better system but for now this will do.  The bins were free with the house so I just used what we had when we moved here. Eventually I will get a system that is a little more uniform in appearance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

My girls aren't super into Lego but that is great info just in case. I'm sure that was a lot of work.

It took a long time but I just went one bin at a time while watching movies and shows.  I have a photographic memory so only needed to look at the image of the pieces needed ones to know the type.  Then it was a matter of knowing the number needed.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Sooooo, today, Nov 8th and I am already over my food budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, didn't buy turkey yet or anything else for Thanksgiving....

Unexpected happenings or too ambitious of a goal?

I did not get my yogurt made, I really need more milk or dh will be none too happy if I use all his.

I did make gf bread, gf granola, chicken stock, and white beans.

I froze half of the bread and beans. I stripped the bones before making stock and used that with the stock and beans for chicken chili.

• Like 3

I placed another online order for pickup tomorrow, fingers crossed that they have the stuff we need. The first store location I tried to order from had a lot of out of stock products, so I switched locations. If this location doesn’t work out I am going to have to switch store chains. I really love where we normally shop, but they don’t offer online ordering.

I have broccoli and carrot soup going for dinner, and bread in the oven. 

I really wish life could just be normal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Unexpected happenings or too ambitious of a goal?

I did not get my yogurt made, I really need more milk or dh will be none too happy if I use all his.

I did make gf bread, gf granola, chicken stock, and white beans.

I froze half of the bread and beans. I stripped the bones before making stock and used that with the stock and beans for chicken chili.

I think I got too much junky stuff that evidently adds up quickly!!

I need to start going shopping with a list and prices!

When you make chicken stock - how large of a pot are you using? Do you strain it all before using it for other dishes?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SereneHome said:

I think I got too much junky stuff that evidently adds up quickly!!

I need to start going shopping with a list and prices!

When you make chicken stock - how large of a pot are you using? Do you strain it all before using it for other dishes?

I know it adds up quickly. 

I use Out of Milk for my shopping list. I put prices in there when I buy things, if I don't have it in there I look it up in the WalMart grocery app, I usually shop at Aldi's, which is nearly always cheaper but WalMart gives me a ballpark to know if I'm on track.

I make it now in my Instant Pot, I end up with nearly a gallon when done. Yes, I do strain it and then skim off the fat. I give the dog the soft bones and any tiny bits of skin and meat I missed.

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I placed another online order for pickup tomorrow, fingers crossed that they have the stuff we need. The first store location I tried to order from had a lot of out of stock products, so I switched locations. If this location doesn’t work out I am going to have to switch store chains. I really love where we normally shop, but they don’t offer online ordering.

I have broccoli and carrot soup going for dinner, and bread in the oven. 

I really wish life could just be normal. 

I know, I hate online grocery shopping. I know many think it is great but I can't stand it. I shop at Aldi's in person, that is my personal splurge. I make a list so I'm quick, stay away from others, and wear a mask.

• Like 2

Today I'm working on my menu and grocery list. Next Sunday is dd3's bday so she is going to be picking out a special bday meal and other kids have nights they help cook so I need to confer with them. 

I'm making french toast this am to use up some end pieces of bread that people always want to leave in there, I got a couple in a grilled cheese sandwich the other day for one of the kids. I'm been on leftover watch very closely to keep food waste done.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

New menu made and grocery list mostly done, although I'm sure I'll think of some things I've missed or might catch some mark downs when in the store(when I'm lucky!).

Food waste: 1 cup of ice cream- I noticed the kids weren't eating it so I checked and it is badly freezer burnt

2 bananas today will be made into muffins or bread today, they aren't bad but starting to really brown

Monday: Indian butter Chicken w/ Sweet Pot and Cauliflower (was supposed to be today but moving because I have deer to cook)

Tuesday: Tempeh and Chicken Fried Rice w/ Broccoli and Frozen veg mix

Wednesday: BBQ Chicken legs, asparagus, and roasted potatoes

Thursday: Beef, Black Bean, Sweet potato and spinach enchiladas

Friday: homemade stromboli (regular and gf) w/ homemade italian turkey sausage put in freezer from last time I made stromboli

Saturday: Chili w/ hotdogs

Sunday: dd3's bday meal; Chicken nuggets, mac and cheese; caulilflower

• Like 1

@SereneHome that sucks about the food budget.  hope you can stretch it as much as possible so you aren't incredibly over at the end of the month.

@Soror I love that you always mention you are making a meal plan and grocery list because it reminds me to get it done. Thanks!

@prairiewindmomma hope your order has all of the items in stock.  I'm struggling to figure out what to do about the inevitable missing items from my online orders.  I pay for delivery for the convenience of not having to go shopping.  But that doesn't really work our when a good portion of my items don't show up at my door. It is frustrating.  The curbside pick up was more reliable so I may transition back to that. we'll see. I'll certainly have to go into the store for thanksgiving foods.

@popmom thanks for the flea treatment info.  I will have to look into that soon. 

@historically accurate glad to hear your staying on budget

• Like 2

So, dh and I decided we are no longer getting the kids a second computer for Christmas. we're going to do a rock climbing wall, rope ladder, and monkey bars instead for them in the living room.The change isn't money related at all but that just cut our Christmas budget drastically.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

So, dh and I decided we are no longer getting the kids a second computer for Christmas. we're going to do a rock climbing wall, rope ladder, and monkey bars instead for them in the living room.The change isn't money related at all but that just cut our Christmas budget drastically.

Oh how cool.  They will get so much out of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh how cool.  They will get so much out of that.

yeah, we're pretty excited about it.  We've discussed it throughout the year as a christmas gift idea.  But then the need for a computer became real apparent so we switch to that.  Then last night they broke the second headset this year by not taking good care of it so we decided they aren't ready for the responsibility of a second computer and all the things associated with it. We're happy with the decision and they had no idea another computer was a possibility so they don't know they're losing it.  They did acknowledge that they need to take better care of electronics before they can start having their own electronics.

• Like 3

The store had almost all of my items...but the quality of the produce is not good. I think, moving forward, we will place an online order with the store for dry goods and then we will send Dh in for a very quick trip for produce twice a month (along with whatever is missing from the online order) at our preferred store.  It should reduce his shopping time by at least half. I think we may also have him go shopping at odd hours so his exposure is less. (Covid cases are up 59% week for week, so we are being cautious.) I am shifting our menu to accommodate longer-storing foods like frozen broccoli>fresh, apples > fresh berries and grapes, etc.

• Like 4

Called Dental Insurance and the max benefit is per person, not per family. My information was not clear and we've never come close to hitting it before so it had me worried. Now, ds' filling from last week hasn't went through so I need to wait to see how much they bill for that, he has another one coming up, hopefully all of it will be in under the $1500 or we might wait on one of the fillings if we can (now if it is bad obviously we can't that is why he has to have a root canal COVID shut down our old dentist after he lost a filing and getting in a new place took forever. My and the younger 2 girls cleanings have shown paid in full too, usually they are but the girls and I tried a new dentist for ours and they did all this extra I wasn't sure if it would be. That is a relief!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hjffkj said:

yeah, we're pretty excited about it.  We've discussed it throughout the year as a christmas gift idea.  But then the need for a computer became real apparent so we switch to that.  Then last night they broke the second headset this year by not taking good care of it so we decided they aren't ready for the responsibility of a second computer and all the things associated with it. We're happy with the decision and they had no idea another computer was a possibility so they don't know they're losing it.  They did acknowledge that they need to take better care of electronics before they can start having their own electronics.

So cool.  You should post pictures when you get done.  I think all of your kids will use it vs just the older ones with the computer.  Plus they have lots of teen years to want computers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Called Dental Insurance and the max benefit is per person, not per family. My information was not clear and we've never come close to hitting it before so it had me worried. Now, ds' filling from last week hasn't went through so I need to wait to see how much they bill for that, he has another one coming up, hopefully all of it will be in under the $1500 or we might wait on one of the fillings if we can (now if it is bad obviously we can't that is why he has to have a root canal COVID shut down our old dentist after he lost a filing and getting in a new place took forever. My and the younger 2 girls cleanings have shown paid in full too, usually they are but the girls and I tried a new dentist for ours and they did all this extra I wasn't sure if it would be. That is a relief!

Yay, glad it all worked out. 

• Like 1

Hi, can I post too? This week we are having a no spend week except for gas as we had an unexpected car repair bill happen in the same week as a plumbing problem that also caused a couple of meals of take out and we had just paid off our credit card. The good news was that dh was able to fix the problem himself, it just took him a few days as he has been down in his back and could only work on it after work, so yay for that!  No spend week shouldn't be a problem for us since we are still stocked up on food because of corona.

The weather has also been record breaking warm and dry here in our area, so we are still hanging out all our laundry.  A friend gave us some blackberry sprouts that she didn't want and I had a $5 of $25 coupon for the dollar store that I used to buy the boys new underwear and refill a few things we used up from our medicine box. Oh! and I also caught Old Navy's $5 pajama pants sale so everyone will get a new pair for Christmas. I try to catch it every year, but missed it last year. 

I really appreciate this thread and look forward to reading it to see what creative things you ladies are doing, thanks!

• Like 4

@saraha anyone is welcome!  glad your dh was able to fix the plumbing problem himself. We're having a few household issues that I'm hoping we can fix ourselves.  The plumbing stuff (leaking sink, gurgling toilet, and running toilet) I'm almost positive we can.  The furnace issue, not so confident about that but we do have one last idea of what we need to do for it before we call so there is still a little hope. 

Good luck with your no spend week.  I was contemplating doing one this week but with finding deals on much anticipated gifts I had to spend

• Like 3

Apparently today is a high spend day.  I found a bike for my 3 year old used on facebook marketplace.  Great condition for $20. It will be his big  individual christmas gift.  Now only ds7 to find that big individual gift.  He's my hardest kid to shop for so I've got my work cut out for me.

• Like 4