Menu

November Frugalistas 2020

mommyoffive

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I deserve no congrats.  I woke up this morning to my 7 year old telling me we didn't own enough towels.  Turns are bath downstairs showers have now flooded OVER and the basement is filled with sewer water. Time to call in a professional.

Oh no! I am so sorry!

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I deserve no congrats.  I woke up this morning to my 7 year old telling me we didn't own enough towels.  Turns are bath downstairs showers have now flooded OVER and the basement is filled with sewer water. Time to call in a professional.

Oh no.  I hope it doesn't cause much damage or inconvenience.   Yeah that sounds like you need a professional.   I hope they can come soon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh no.  I hope it doesn't cause much damage or inconvenience.   Yeah that sounds like you need a professional.   I hope they can come soon.

still waiting for one to confirm when they can make it out here.  Ugh!  Non plumbing damage is minimal.  The basement is just a storage area nothing got damaged.  And our floors upstairs are hardwood so a good cleaning and drying our and they should be fine.  The only thing that has to be thrown out is a huge rug in my parents room.  But it came with the house so we're not out any money.

Fingers crossed that the plumbing issue is not an expensive fix

• Like 4

On 11/10/2020 at 8:41 AM, Soror said:

I ordered some Christmas presents for the girls, I shopped around and found one item $20 cheaper.  So, I have the 'big items' for them done. I still need books for each and I want to do a small useful thing- I know I want to do a watch for dd3, a wallet for ds, and a clock for dd1 but I can't figure out dd2 yet. I'll also buy a family game, probably wait until they are on sale and maybe a puzzle for Christmas break, Menards had some puzzles but I didn't see any games I liked. Then there are stockings but that should be covered by my rebate from Menard's we spent so much on home improvement this summer! 

I also ordered some through Rakuten so I should get $40 back @mommyoffive How long does that take to go through? I'm hoping to get it in time to put it towards other kids Christmas. 

I am not sure how long it takes.  I think it is pretty quick to have cashback added to your account, so I would think it is pretty quick with a referral.   Not sure if that is payed out the same as cashback.   I hope you get it soon.   Thanks for using my referral. 

• Like 1

I used the Buy 3 for the price of 2 this morning on Amazon. Got a book for school and a book and game for Christmas. 

Still chugging along with the budget. I did have to buy some period panties for DD that wasn't budgeted, but I moved some stuff around and got them with a $10 off coupon code. I figure this will help out in the future in less disposable feminine product purchases.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I used the Buy 3 for the price of 2 this morning on Amazon. Got a book for school and a book and game for Christmas. 

Still chugging along with the budget. I did have to buy some period panties for DD that wasn't budgeted, but I moved some stuff around and got them with a $10 off coupon code. I figure this will help out in the future in less disposable feminine product purchases.

What brand of period panties do you guys use?

• Like 1

Just now, mommyoffive said:

What brand of period panties do you guys use?

Oldest uses Ruby Love. She's about 5'1" and on the skinny side - about 100 pounds. Middle uses Thinx and Bambody. She's about 5'2" and about 120 pounds. They can wear the same clothing size, but the panties fit them differently. Middle needs way more "butt coverage" than Ruby Love provides. I'd say Bambody has the best "butt coverage", then Thinx briefs, then Ruby Love. 

Youngest is only 4'9" and 70 pounds. I ordered the Thinx B'tween box of 3 for her since she's so tiny. 

• Like 2

Today I made copycat Chick Fil A sandwiches for lunch. 4 oz piece of chicken breast is 48 cents. (1.89/lb) Each bun is 11 cents (everything from aldi). Cost to brine and batter is super minimal. So it doesn't taste (((exactly))) like Chick Fil A, but it was close enough. I added the Great Value knock off Chick Fil A sauce, and it was so good! The teenagers were happy!

We pass by the Chick every week on the way back from co-op and it's always so tempting. 

Oh, I noticed Publix is carrying actual Chick Fil A brand sauces now. 

I still get frustrated at how much my groceries end up costing each week, but I have to remember that we hardly ever eat out anymore. I think that's why my grocery spending is up. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, popmom said:

Today I made copycat Chick Fil A sandwiches for lunch. 4 oz piece of chicken breast is 48 cents. (1.89/lb) Each bun is 11 cents (everything from aldi). Cost to brine and batter is super minimal. So it doesn't taste (((exactly))) like Chick Fil A, but it was close enough. I added the Great Value knock off Chick Fil A sauce, and it was so good! The teenagers were happy!

We pass by the Chick every week on the way back from co-op and it's always so tempting. 

I still get frustrated at how much my groceries end up costing each week, but I have to remember that we hardly ever eat out anymore. I think that's why my grocery spending is up. 

That grocery bill gets me, and then I realize that we are eating 21+ meals (my DH can eat 6 times a day LOL) at home most weeks. That's a lot of food used added with wanting to keep a good stockpile. 

On a similar note, the copycat Steak n Shake garlic burger (here) is good, and I buy "Fast Food Fries" in a bag from Walmart. Blend up a vanilla milkshake. Nice distraction meal when the lockdown is just too much for the teens. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, popmom said:

So fun to recreate the fast food you crave.  Did you guys not used to eat every meal at home?  If you have added cost does it  just take the place of the eating out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

That grocery bill gets me, and then I realize that we are eating 21+ meals (my DH can eat 6 times a day LOL) at home most weeks. That's a lot of food used added with wanting to keep a good stockpile. 

On a similar note, the copycat Steak n Shake garlic burger (here) is good, and I buy "Fast Food Fries" in a bag from Walmart. Blend up a vanilla milkshake. Nice distraction meal when the lockdown is just too much for the teens. 

What is hard for me now is the added cost of keeping a big stockpile.   Maybe we don't need to and we won't see any other shortages, but I think this experience will always make me want a full stockpile of everything.  

We hardly ever eat out, usually just birthdays or doing rehearsals of shows when we were at ballet 7 days a week and wanted a day off from packing food.   We haven't eaten out this whole time with covid.   Just not in my comfort zone.  So other than stockpile our bill is the same.  I just spent a bunch stockpiling dog food,  cereal,  snacks, and tea.  

I wish I was comfortable picking up the school free breakfast and lunch.   But in the summer it wasn't really safe and our cases are so high now.  That would save us a bit.

22 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

So fun to recreate the fast food you crave.  Did you guys not used to eat every meal at home?  If you have added cost does it  just take the place of the eating out.

DH and I would go to a restaurant once a week on a date--not a sit-down-and-tip kind of restaurant, but it still added up. We cut that back to once a month. (2 of our faves have outdoor seating). I used to get pizza or Chinese delivered once a week, too. Not anymore. Biggest weakness is drive through while out running errands. I've cut that out entirely. We've never really been big on dining out--mostly because I'm a foodie and a decent cook. I'm usually leave the restaurant thinking...I could have done better at home.  Also, it was just not financially feasible when all the kids were living at home. 

ETA: I do think there have been price increases. I can remember just a few years ago when all of my kids lived at home no less--my budget (cash envelopes) was $125 a week. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What is hard for me now is the added cost of keeping a big stockpile.   Maybe we don't need to and we won't see any other shortages, but I think this experience will always make me want a full stockpile of everything.  

We hardly ever eat out, usually just birthdays or doing rehearsals of shows when we were at ballet 7 days a week and wanted a day off from packing food.   We haven't eaten out this whole time with covid.   Just not in my comfort zone.  So other than stockpile our bill is the same.  I just spent a bunch stockpiling dog food,  cereal,  snacks, and tea.  

I wish I was comfortable picking up the school free breakfast and lunch.   But in the summer it wasn't really safe and our cases are so high now.  That would save us a bit.

I'm stockpiling, too. I wait for sales and try to pair with coupons when I can. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

DH and I would go to a restaurant once a week on a date--not a sit-down-and-tip kind of restaurant, but it still added up. We cut that back to once a month. (2 of our faves have outdoor seating). I used to get pizza or Chinese delivered once a week, too. Not anymore. Biggest weakness is drive through while out running errands. I've cut that out entirely. We've never really been big on dining out--mostly because I'm a foodie and a decent cook. I'm usually leave the restaurant thinking...I could have done better at home.  Also, it was just not financially feasible when all the kids were living at home. 

Yeah, my dh is a good cook, so most of the things he can make as good as or better.   And it kills me when we spend $60 or more for all 7 of us for a lunch.  Yuck.  Our grocery budget for the week is 150 or 200.  So to spend a third or fourth of the budget just really bothers me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah, my dh is a good cook, so most of the things he can make as good as or better.   And it kills me when we spend $60 or more for all 7 of us for a lunch.  Yuck.  Our grocery budget for the week is 150 or 200.  So to spend a third or fourth of the budget just really bothers me.

Same! It's just not worth it. I'm at your budget but for only 4 people. I'm still stockpiling for my kids who aren't living at home though. I send them home with stuff when they visit--which is rare due to COVID. One is in grad school and one is living in a high cost of living area on a graphic design salary lol. So if I can get laundry detergent or dogfood for cheap, I'll get them some, too.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Glad it got fixed today and it wasn't that expensive. 

My sweet mom, who lives with us but is currently in Alabama at her second home,  sent me $200 via Paypal.  She specifically said it wasn't for the plumbing but so I wouldn't have to worry about making any food the next few days while we clean up.  She says if she were there she'd be handling food for us so there is no reason she shouldn't be able to do it from far away.

• Like 7

the best part to come out of all these plumbing issues.  My aunt, who usually watches the kids for me on weds so I can get some things done, cleaned my house instead since the kids were at my brother's house for the day.  So, even though I've been cleaning poo water in the basement for hours I at least came upstairs to a spotless house!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

Same! It's just not worth it. I'm at your budget but for only 4 people. I'm still stockpiling for my kids who aren't living at home though. I send them home with stuff when they visit--which is rare due to COVID.

Aww that is sweet that you send things with them.  My family used to do that for us too.

Yeah it is funny this was our budget when it was just dh and I.  We didn't make anything and bought everything premade.   Now we have the same budget fo 7 people (6 who eat like adults) and 2 dogs.  And it includes all our household supplies too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

the best part to come out of all these plumbing issues.  My aunt, who usually watches the kids for me on weds so I can get some things done, cleaned my house instead since the kids were at my brother's house for the day.  So, even though I've been cleaning poo water in the basement for hours I at least came upstairs to a spotless house!

Awww.  That was so sweet of your mom and aunt.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Roots and grease in the main line.  It is unclogged for now.  We'll have a camera inspection done if it clogs again.  Just $140 down the drain today

So glad you aren't dealing with a broken line or other super expensive issues.  Did they tell you about putting copper down your pipes to deal with the roots?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

So glad you aren't dealing with a broken line or other super expensive issues.  Did they tell you about putting copper down your pipes to deal with the roots?

they did not.  but i will look into that. thank you!

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 1

Copper sulfate crystals....they don't get absorbed too deeply by the tree, so it will kill the roots in the pipes, but not kill the tree.  After we had our sewer line break about 15 years ago due to tree roots, the plumbing service told us to use the stuff monthly. We were on city sewer...had to replace part of the line going into the house, but didn't have to replace the whole thing as this treatment worked for where the line hadn't broken. https://www.amazon.com/Sanco-Industries-Root-Destroyer-Pentahydrate/dp/B007BVO00M?th=1

They also sell it at hardware stores.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Aww that is sweet that you send things with them.  My family used to do that for us too.

Yeah it is funny this was our budget when it was just dh and I.  We didn't make anything and bought everything premade.   Now we have the same budget fo 7 people (6 who eat like adults) and 2 dogs.  And it includes all our household supplies too.

Wow--I'm impressed! That is amazing. Teach me your ways. lol

I was thinking about this more, and it hit me... 4 years ago we had one dog. In the past 4 years we have added 2 dogs and 4 cats. I mean, duh! That's definitely affected the grocery budget. 🤦‍♀️

11 minutes ago, popmom said:

I was thinking about this more, and it hit me... 4 years ago we had one dog. In the past 4 years we have added 2 dogs and 4 cats. I mean, duh! That's definitely affected the grocery budget. 🤦‍♀️

I think my biggest tip is shop at aldi.  It really does help.    Even if is only 50 bucks less a week.  I am not one to homemake things like granola or bread.   We buy snack food.  We only drink milk,  tea, and water.   The kids prefer to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch most days.  Shop sales and stock up on them.  Buy the in season produce.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I think my biggest tip is shop at aldi.  It really does help.    Even if is only 50 bucks less a week.  I am not one to homemake things like granola or bread.   We buy snack food.  We only drink milk,  tea, and water.   The kids prefer to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch most days.  Shop sales and stock up on them.  Buy the in season produce.

I already shop at Aldi. 😂😭 I'm in a weird season, and I just need to give myself some grace here, I guess. I get frustrated about how much I spend on food, but I need find other areas to cut back. 

Don't quote. I may delete later. My 2 kids at home are not neurotypical. They are picky eaters. And both are recovering from an eating disorder. The pandemic has us almost back to square one with one and the other is struggling. We are back to eating on a strict schedule and meal plan. I cook/prepare all 3 meals and even plate them. Even the 2-3 snacks. And no trigger foods/junk foods for now. 

It will get better. 🙂 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Did they show you how it’s done so you can do it yourself next time?

no, but we already knew how to snake the drain.  since we had to deal with the main line we didn't feel like dealing with it today since it has been raining nonstop heavily all day. And we couldn't find the outside access to it.  So, they did it in the basement.  So, much grossness to clean up

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Pop mom—$200/person/month for 90ish meals and 60 snacks is incredibly frugal.

We eat very frugally, from scratch, and spend well beyond the amounts mentioned. Everyone is in different circumstances, some comparisons just aren’t helpful for every circumstance. 

Hugs!

you are right. this makes me feel better. I clearly need to look at other areas in the budget to cut costs. In the past I've always felt like food was the one area of the budget I had some control over. or I'd tell myself--I can do better here. but I think this is as good as it gets for now. 🙂

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, popmom said:

Same! It's just not worth it. I'm at your budget but for only 4 people. I'm still stockpiling for my kids who aren't living at home though. I send them home with stuff when they visit--which is rare due to COVID. One is in grad school and one is living in a high cost of living area on a graphic design salary lol. So if I can get laundry detergent or dogfood for cheap, I'll get them some, too.

10 hours ago, popmom said:

10 hours ago, popmom said:

I already shop at Aldi. 😂😭 I'm in a weird season, and I just need to give myself some grace here, I guess. I get frustrated about how much I spend on food, but I need find other areas to cut back. 

Don't quote. I may delete later. My 2 kids at home are not neurotypical. They are picky eaters. And both are recovering from an eating disorder. The pandemic has us almost back to square one with one and the other is struggling. We are back to eating on a strict schedule and meal plan. I cook/prepare all 3 meals and even plate them. Even the 2-3 snacks. And no trigger foods/junk foods for now. 

It will get better. 🙂 

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Pompom I think grace to everyone right now is the right thing.   The other thing I didn't say was that we don't have food allergies or special diets.  That will probably drive up the cost.  Just sending some hugs.  2020 is hard.

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Pop mom—$200/person/month for 90ish meals and 60 snacks is incredibly frugal.

We eat very frugally, from scratch, and spend well beyond the amounts mentioned. Everyone is in different circumstances, some comparisons just aren’t helpful for every circumstance. 

Hugs!

Yes, it is different for everyone.

Some areas food costs more.

Some kids/adults eat more/less.

Some have different diets. My gf oats bought in bulk are about 10c per ounce, I can get regular oats for half that at WM without even buying in bulk. GF bread is $5.50 at Aldi's, their regular bread is less than a $1. I ate Paleo for a decade and it was significantly more expensive with no grains to help stretch things. 

Our food costs for last month were $450 and honestly I could have spent less because there were snacks in there. I'd not want to if I didn't have too. Cost isn't the only consideration, being able to make some favorites is nice (like making homemade gyros). Having more fruits and veggies are good for us but not the cheapest way to fill up. Beans are really cheap but my family only wants to eat so much. We have to each look and see what areas we can cut personally with our needs and where we live.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

Tried to do a survey but didn't get accepted, the only ones I'm getting are like 50c for 20 minutes and that isn't worth it.

Finally got my yogurt made and it is wonderfully firm, ya!

I'll have yogurt with my homemade granola today and blueberries. Yum.

Today I'm going to make some homemade gf bread for dd2. I make gf bread for me but haven't found one she really cares for but Aldi's was out of gf bread so we are going to try yet another recipe.

Thanks to @historically accurate mentioning games are in the 3 for 2 deal I have a game picked out for the family and books for dd2 and dd3, hopefully the sale continues until I get my Crowdtap GC, then my cost will only be $3.50 for all 3.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

Bread is rising, fingers crossed it is good. So many I've tried are rated well but turn out rather meh.

Used leftover egg yolks from the bread recipe and mixed in with whole eggs for scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I made a batch of veggie fried rice for my lunches after the family wiped out the meal I made. 

Tonight we'll be black bean, beef, and sweet potato enchiladas. I'm just using 1/2 lb of beef from my 1 lb package, the rest of it will be saved for chili.

Finished off some prunes just passed their best by date yesterday for a snack. No food waste lately, trying to stay ahead of it!

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Tried to do a survey but didn't get accepted, the only ones I'm getting are like 50c for 20 minutes and that isn't worth it.

Finally got my yogurt made and it is wonderfully firm, ya!

I'll have yogurt with my homemade granola today and blueberries. Yum.

Today I'm going to make some homemade gf bread for dd2. I make gf bread for me but haven't found one she really cares for but Aldi's was out of gf bread so we are going to try yet another recipe.

Thanks to @historically accurate mentioning games are in the 3 for 2 deal I have a game picked out for the family and books for dd2 and dd3, hopefully the sale continues until I get my Crowdtap GC, then my cost will only be $3.50 for all 3.

Great deal on the games and books.  Are you signed up for product report card?  Is that where you are getting the low ones?  They have high ones regularly.   I got a link for a 175 dollar one yesterday.   I hope you get one soon.  Although the low ones stink, lots of times they qualify you for a higher one by taking that one.

Oh I was thinking with Rakuten, if you have that $40 referral in your account you should refer your husband (and other friends and family).  They spend 40 and get 40.  And then you get 40 for referring them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Great deal on the games and books.  Are you signed up for product report card?  Is that where you are getting the low ones?  They have high ones regularly.   I got a link for a 175 dollar one yesterday.   I hope you get one soon.  Although the low ones stink, lots of times they qualify you for a higher one by taking that one.

Oh I was thinking with Rakuten, if you have that $40 referral in your account you should refer your husband (and other friends and family).  They spend 40 and get 40.  And then you get 40 for referring them.

Yes, product report card. I got one for $175 but I didn't pass the prescreening survey. I wish you knew what might qualify you for more because I don't want to spend 20 min for 50c on the regular! I will have to see if my mom is interested I can't think of anyone else offhand. I'll see if dh will, I need to make him an email account for things like that, he don't like a lot of spam.

29 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Walmart called and wanted us to pick up another item from that issue this week.  We only bought 2 tvs  that we already have.  Crazy. 

Bought another deal from Walmart's black Friday deal.  It was about 250 off.  A good deal on a new laptop for me.  Merry Christmas to me.

Nice to get a good deal on something you are shopping for anyway!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Would someone please help?  How do you go directly to the 3 for 2 deals on Amazon?

This may work. I happened to search for an item (edit CLEP Psychology guide) that fell under the deal and it has a "Shop Items" link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/A2SAUF9WH7QY9M?ref_=pdaatf_psp_A2SAUF9WH7QY9M

Edited by historically accurate

I only do one survey site. They didn't need my demographic at the time, so I tried my dh, and they took him. I think less males do the survey sites. I may or may not do the surveys for him, since I can just text him and ask if there is a question I am unsure how he would feel about it. 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, saraha said:

I only do one survey site. They didn't need my demographic at the time, so I tried my dh, and they took him. I think less males do the survey sites. I may or may not do the surveys for him, since I can just text him and ask if there is a question I am unsure how he would feel about it. 😉

Exactly my experience too.  Which site do you do?