Menu

November Frugalistas 2020

mommyoffive

4 hours ago, Soror said:

Ladies, 

I'm tickled pink. Dh gets paid Monday and his check is going to be $400 more than I had thought (hard to keep up with OT). He has $700 in OT. That pays for our regular bills and medical bills for next month. 

His second check we'll need just a bit to cover the rest of Christmas gifts for MIL, neice, and nephew and that's it (barring something coming up).

That gives us all we need to the maintenance needed for dh's truck plus a chunk more.

Now, we still don't know what we'll have for college expenses so it might all be eaten up for that but I'm sighing a big sigh.

Dh is backing off the OT until after college finishes and then will hit it again during his 1 month college break that will cover any other college expenses we have and lay down some extra for sinking funds that need shoring up for a head start for the New Year.

I'm continuing on with my extra days as my check funds the vaca fund and Christmas funds and I'll have taxes to pay in Jan, eating up most of my check. I am going to take off on Christmas but otherwise I think I'll be working every day in December too. I'm going to try going back to a lighter (6 day a week/ no nights) in January but then we'll be hitting it hard in evenings through CNY to get in some more extra.

Cross the fingers for no more unexpected giant expenses, goodness knows we've had our share already.

Great news.  I am glad it worked out for you.  Hoping that the college bills don't turn out to be big.  

• Like 1

Ugh - got my bill from my CT scan I had a couple of weeks ago. It went against my deductible. On the bright side, my deductible has been met and my upcoming x-ray won't be crazy expensive. I'll also call them on Monday to see about a price deduction; we usually qualify for one due to income.

Because of this expense and having oldest home from college (travel expenses & she has not one long sleeve shirt (where did they all go??)), I decided one gift per kid for Christmas. 

Groceries will be fairly cheap this week. My freezer is super packed, so I'll be relying on that over the next few weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

Ugh - got my bill from my CT scan I had a couple of weeks ago. It went against my deductible. On the bright side, my deductible has been met and my upcoming x-ray won't be crazy expensive. I'll also call them on Monday to see about a price deduction; we usually qualify for one due to income.

Because of this expense and having oldest home from college (travel expenses & she has not one long sleeve shirt (where did they all go??)), I decided one gift per kid for Christmas. 

Groceries will be fairly cheap this week. My freezer is super packed, so I'll be relying on that over the next few weeks.

I'm sorry 😞 Fingers crossed you get some knocked off. OUr medical expenses now are only at 10% since we met our deductible in July (if only dental was in that). Medical expenses--STINK!!! I'm so sick of them. You do what you can afford for Christmas, it is ok. My kids are getting much more than they would have just from watching things on sale and gift cards and such, it is what it is. Ya, for that packed freezer. 

• Like 2

I've been working on the budget.

Paid the kids Dec allowance since I had cash from buying things for different people.

Ds finally picked out his amp, lucky for him it was 20% off as he has to pay the difference between our budget and the price. I've still got little snacks for 2 kids to even out the stockings but then I think that is it for them and then I need gift cards for a few people.

I have $6 left in Nov groceries and $45 in gas. I will not be getting gas but dh might need it on Monday when he goes to work so we'll see. I also have $134 left in medical, dental bills I thought would come due in Nov but I've not got yet (evidently our dentist still makes claims by mail and it takes longer). So, all those will roll into December. 

I went over maintenance with dh to see what we needed. Lightbulb for the house, cabin air filters for the car, and vitamins.

I went ahead and shopped at Walgreens for vitamins and stocked up some extra as they had a good sale and I got free shipping and will have a good supply of D3, magnesium, and iron (considering if I should get more iron). Dh, dd1 and I all are taking d3 and iron. Dh gives a double unit of blood whenever he's eligible and we need it due to periods. I just found out dd1 - d3 levels were low so she got put on it. I'll put her on until spring when she can get it outside. I always cut back then too. Dh takes it year round as he works inside and doesn't get as much outside time.

I found a gift card at Wal-Mart for $3+, it was a Christmas gift last year. I am going to treat myself to a kombucha. I've not bought one since September when we went to lock-down 🙂

Dh has been working on his maintenance list for his truck. He needs to rebuild the front end and plans to do it on his winter break from college. It is going to be around $800-$900. That will be coming out of the second check of the month.

• Like 4

Later today I am picking up these beautiful tea cups and saucers from a woman for $5.  A few years ago the kids and I would have tea time every day and sit around the table reading random stories, poems, etc.  When we moved I got rid of our the teacups we had because a few of them had chipped and I didn't love the pattern.  The kids have recently asked to start doing tea time again and I thought it'd be fun to have separate cups for it again.  They will be excited to open those up on Christmas.  After that purchase I'm 90% positive I am done christmas shopping.

Dh does still have to get gifts for his dad and his husband and he has to finish the kids' main gift but I don't have to deal with any of that so I can happily enjoy the calm of Advent now and December will be as close to a no spend month as I can possibly get

• Like 3

I thought you guys would appreciate this funny. My middle DD wants to be a doctor and she loves to dissect/study anatomy/etc. So for her Christmas present we decided to get her a suture kit. I found "skin" on sale last month, just ordered the thread and went to order the scissor/tweezer pack from ebay. There was one that was 6-something normally, on sale for $5.89, but had a best offer option. So I put in a best offer, the seller countered at $5.80, a whopping 9 cents off. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I thought you guys would appreciate this funny. My middle DD wants to be a doctor and she loves to dissect/study anatomy/etc. So for her Christmas present we decided to get her a suture kit. I found "skin" on sale last month, just ordered the thread and went to order the scissor/tweezer pack from ebay. There was one that was 6-something normally, on sale for $5.89, but had a best offer option. So I put in a best offer, the seller countered at $5.80, a whopping 9 cents off. LOL.

Ha!  Smoking deal. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, historically accurate said:

LOL, every cent helps!

On 11/28/2020 at 9:15 AM, hjffkj said:

Later today I am picking up these beautiful tea cups and saucers from a woman for $5.  A few years ago the kids and I would have tea time every day and sit around the table reading random stories, poems, etc.  When we moved I got rid of our the teacups we had because a few of them had chipped and I didn't love the pattern.  The kids have recently asked to start doing tea time again and I thought it'd be fun to have separate cups for it again.  They will be excited to open those up on Christmas.  After that purchase I'm 90% positive I am done christmas shopping.

Dh does still have to get gifts for his dad and his husband and he has to finish the kids' main gift but I don't have to deal with any of that so I can happily enjoy the calm of Advent now and December will be as close to a no spend month as I can possibly get

My kids have always loved tea time too. We've just used our regular coffee cups that we use for hot tea but some day maybe I'll get a nice antique set.

Grocery list and menu made.

Dh got called into work yesterday twice, so he had to go ahead and get gas. We're still ahead $20 there. I went ahead and got some things at Big Lots instead of waiting as they had a sale on some chocolate for dh's and I stocking (I still had to get his favorite and I'm sure he hadn't got any for me) and coconut oil for the pantry. I had a $5 off $15 coupon too. So, I used the rest of grocery and pulled 12 from what I'd budgeted for next month.

I just realized that after I get paid (sometime before the 10th), I'll have 10.6%  saved for our big family vaca, woot! Each month it is 5.3%, that is exciting!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Soror said:

LOL, every cent helps!

My kids have always loved tea time too. We've just used our regular coffee cups that we use for hot tea but some day maybe I'll get a nice antique set.

Grocery list and menu made.

Dh got called into work yesterday twice, so he had to go ahead and get gas. We're still ahead $20 there. I went ahead and got some things at Big Lots instead of waiting as they had a sale on some chocolate for dh's and I stocking (I still had to get his favorite and I'm sure he hadn't got any for me) and coconut oil for the pantry. I had a $5 off $15 coupon too. So, I used the rest of grocery and pulled 12 from what I'd budgeted for next month.

I just realized that after I get paid (sometime before the 10th), I'll have 10.6%  saved for our big family vaca, woot! Each month it is 5.3%, that is exciting!

Where are you guys going on vacation? 

• Like 1

Roomba came and I'm so in love all over again.  The biggest plus, they redesigned the two parts that broke on mine previously basically in a way that would make it impossible for them to break again in the same way.  So happy about that.  We named it Rosie.  The baby is horrified of it but the dogs don't care at all. I've spent so much time today picking things off the floor on the first floor and Rosie is just following behind me cleaning.  I'm happy with the purchase.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Fun!  When are you guys planning on going? 

May'ish' 2022, before ds' Senior year, as we expect we won't likely have an opportunity for another big vaca with everyone after that. 

16 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Roomba came and I'm so in love all over again.  The biggest plus, they redesigned the two parts that broke on mine previously basically in a way that would make it impossible for them to break again in the same way.  So happy about that.  We named it Rosie.  The baby is horrified of it but the dogs don't care at all. I've spent so much time today picking things off the floor on the first floor and Rosie is just following behind me cleaning.  I'm happy with the purchase.

Ya! Hopefully it lasts a very long time.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Soror said:

May'ish' 2022, before ds' Senior year, as we expect we won't likely have an opportunity for another big vaca with everyone after that. 

Ya! Hopefully it lasts a very long time.

Hopefully by then travel will be doable again.   Planning it that far off is probably a great thing. 

I would love to be planning a trip for this summer, but I just don't want to have it get cancelled.  We had our Tokyo trip cancelled in March.  We will have to get the kids all new passports because they expire in summer.  So I am not ready to do that until things are much better.  I want to go a on a trip badly, but I can't even think about it right now.  Just makes me sad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Hopefully by then travel will be doable again.   Planning it that far off is probably a great thing. 

I would love to be planning a trip for this summer, but I just don't want to have it get cancelled.  We had our Tokyo trip cancelled in March.  We will have to get the kids all new passports because they expire in summer.  So I am not ready to do that until things are much better.  I want to go a on a trip badly, but I can't even think about it right now.  Just makes me sad. 

Ya, I hear you. we had a little beach vaca planned for this summer that we had to cancel. I'm feeling fairly optimistic by 2022 point travel will be possible, I'd not dream of attempting it this coming spring, besides the fact that will take me awhile to save up for it.

• Like 2

I got my Wal-Mart pickup order. They finally had everything, I had 2 orders last week and both times they were out of several things. I finally got my kale and bagels for dh!

For anyone who uses dishwasher tabs (have to here with my hardwater and older dishwasher otherwise things aren't nearly clean eough) Wal-Mart's dishwasher pacs are great. I got some a couple of months ago and have been pleased. They have them in the 100 pack for $10, which is cheaper than anywhere around here and I love getting them in bulk.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Soror said:

I got my Wal-Mart pickup order. They finally had everything, I had 2 orders last week and both times they were out of several things. I finally got my kale and bagels for dh!

For anyone who uses dishwasher tabs (have to here with my hardwater and older dishwasher otherwise things aren't nearly clean eough) Wal-Mart's dishwasher pacs are great. I got some a couple of months ago and have been pleased. They have them in the 100 pack for $10, which is cheaper than anywhere around here and I love getting them in bulk.

I can second that their dishwasher pacs are great

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 5:12 PM, hjffkj said:

there are people who haven't purchased amazon gift cards? wish i could take advantage of that

Me! I've never bought one! Not sure how I missed this, but I'm about to check to see if it's expired.

ETA it worked! Nice!

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

We are planning a beach vacation for May. We have a ton of Marriott points saved up, so we might use them because there's no penalty for cancellations. If we go the rental route, I have found companies and owners that have good cancellation policies if it's due to the pandemic.

We've never taken a family vacay that involved flying. Always road trips. It helps that we live in driving distance to the gulf coast and Atlantic beaches in the SE. We always go in the off season--May for south Florida or Sept/Oct for the panhandle beaches. After we pay our house off, we will be able to save up to fly out west to see some National Parks. We wanted to do it this May, but I don't want to fly just yet. 

We have decided to sell the condo that our 2 oldest lived in while they were getting their undergrad. That was a good investment for us. We did a cash out refi on our primary home in 2016 to pay cash for the condo. It has appreciated more than we anticipated. If we sell, we should be able to pay off our house. That will be a huge burden lifted. Then we can throw all that money to paying off dh truck and the debt we acquired having 2 then 3 kids in college at the same time (one is still working on her undergrad). It was the year they were all 3 in that killed us because we paid for the freshman to live in a dorm. Dorms are ridiculously expensive.

• Like 2

Will have a grocery pick up for Tuesday.  

Doing a big dance and clothes for 2 of the girls. 

We ordered a few of the Lego Colosseum.  One for the family and some to save.  Dh also picked up the ship in a bottle.  

I will probably be doing some more cyber Monday ordering.  

Oh and have to pay for some dance classes.  

Credit card bills to pay.  We pay them in full every month.  

Waiting to get our tax bill from the city.   Have to see if Escrow will cover it all.   

Have to call the bank and keep working on getting the refi done.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Will have a grocery pick up for Tuesday.  

Doing a big dance and clothes for 2 of the girls. 

We ordered a few of the Lego Colosseum.  One for the family and some to save.  Dh also picked up the ship in a bottle.  

I will probably be doing some more cyber Monday ordering.  

Oh and have to pay for some dance classes.  

Credit card bills to pay.  We pay them in full every month.  

Waiting to get our tax bill from the city.   Have to see if Escrow will cover it all.   

Have to call the bank and keep working on getting the refi done.  

Lots of finance stuff this week, hope it all goes smoothly.

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Gold Toe Women's Fur Lined Rain Boots

Boscovs.com has Gold Toe Women's Fur Lined Rain Boots (various) for $9.99 - 10% w/ promo code OURGIFT2U1 = $8.99. Shipping is free.

Boscov's Assortment Result | Boscov's

I tried to get this as I could use some rain boots but the price has went up. It showed 9.99 but then 24.99 when you put it in the cart. I guess the sale is over.

Menu: 

Monday- Meatloaf (using crumbs from my last 2 loaves of gf bread) green bean, mashed pot

Tuesday: cilantro lime chicken and rice w/ chipolte pintos

Wed: chicken yakisoba w/ cabbage and carrots

Thurs: venison stir fry w/ rice

friday: homemade italian sausage stromboli

Sat: turkey white bean chili

Sun; chicken shwarma w/ sweet pot and cauli

I'm working on a credit card payment too. We always paid ours off every month but YNAB has you do it a little differently, marking your transactions when they occur, not a month later when you pay. I'm not doing it exactly their way as I don't have my CC linked but making 2 payments a month and then splitting the transaction so it is not just one big lump sum but shows all the categories the payment is for, that way I keep an accurate estimate of what we are spending in each area, especially with places like Wal-Mart and Amazon which could be for many different things. Doing it twice a month it is less to keep up with each time. I also like paying for it the month it is charged so I don't have to worry about things carrying over into next month. 

• Like 2

Kohl's is having a good Cyber Monday sale. 

Earn $15 Kohl's cash for every $50 spent.    Redeemable December 1-9

Take an extra 20% off with code   YOUGET20

Plus take $10 off of $50  with code    JACKPOT

I am not sure if both of those can be stacked.

I think this is better than the black Friday sale.  

Don't forget Cash back sites like Rakuten

• Like 2

Does anyone need some dance or active wear?   Danskin is having a great sale, a 50% off code

Up to 50% off Selected Styles for a limited time. Code:CM2020 required at checkout. Offer cannot be applied to previous purchases or used in combination with any other offer. Prices subject to change without notice. Valid through 12/1/2020 11:59 PM EST.

It works on the sale on too.

Really great deals!

Women's and Girls Sale | Danskin

Don't forget about cash back sites.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

UGH, I cannot get things to reconcile. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I've kept meticulous records but I'm showing ahead $100+ on my cc. Looking through it seems that Kohl's charged me around $44 less for my order than they were supposed to. I have 2 charges but they still don't add up to the full amount. It has all shipped so I don't know why the rest wouldn't have been charged with the last charge. When I made my last CC payment everything was squared and even. It has been horribly complicated buying so much Christmas for my MIL and some for my mom and then various things for the kids from their allowance and bday money.

8 minutes ago, Soror said:

UGH, I cannot get things to reconcile. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I've kept meticulous records but I'm showing ahead $100+ on my cc. Looking through it seems that Kohl's charged me around $44 less for my order than they were supposed to. I have 2 charges but they still don't add up to the full amount. It has all shipped so I don't know why the rest wouldn't have been charged with the last charge. When I made my last CC payment everything was squared and even. It has been horribly complicated buying so much Christmas for my MIL and some for my mom and then various things for the kids from their allowance and bday money.

Ugh.  I hope you get everything in your order.  Either you got lucky or for some reason the charge hasn't hit yet.  I notice that happens sometimes on our credit card that the charge goes through later even if we made them the same day. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh.  I hope you get everything in your order.  Either you got lucky or for some reason the charge hasn't hit yet.  I notice that happens sometimes on our credit card that the charge goes through later even if we made them the same day. 

When I saw that the charge was not for the full amount I went back to double check, it shows everything shipped that I ordered. I hate it when they split the charges. The rest of it should have been charged when it finished shipping, it makes no sense. I guess I sit and wait now. Maybe the rest of my imbalance is other charges that haven't went through, I guess I need to double check those now too.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

When I saw that the charge was not for the full amount I went back to double check, it shows everything shipped that I ordered. I hate it when they split the charges. The rest of it should have been charged when it finished shipping, it makes no sense. I guess I sit and wait now. Maybe the rest of my imbalance is other charges that haven't went through, I guess I need to double check those now too.

eta: doublechecked and I don't see any charges that haven't went through

Edited by Soror

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Does anyone need some dance or active wear?   Danskin is having a great sale, a 50% off code

Up to 50% off Selected Styles for a limited time. Code:CM2020 required at checkout. Offer cannot be applied to previous purchases or used in combination with any other offer. Prices subject to change without notice. Valid through 12/1/2020 11:59 PM EST.

It works on the sale on too.

Really great deals!

Women's and Girls Sale | Danskin

Don't forget about cash back sites.  

Thanks! Just ordered a new leotard for $6!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

eta: doublechecked and I don't see any charges that haven't went through

Ugh, annoying especially when you are budgeting carefully.  

• Like 1

WooHoo! For the first time in two years, Amazon has *finally* brought back their infamous book deal for Cyber Monday! YAY!

For a limited time, you can get $5 off a $20 printed book purchase on Amazon when you add three books from this sale to your cart. The discount comes off automatically at checkout and there are over 300 items to choose from, including many popular titles!

This is a RARE offer and is a perfect time to grab some of your favorite books or a few to give as gifts! The offer also includes some movies, music, toys, and games. You can click on “books” on the left sidebar to see just the book titles.

This offer is valid on print books only, shipped and sold by Amazon. It excludes eBooks and Audiobooks, Book Rentals, and Amazon Gift Cards.

from moneysavingmom

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

darn, I just ordered new tights for the girls last week.  I do have to buy a new leotard for dd5 because she had a huge growth spurt the week after I bought her current one but her dance school doesn't use danskin leotards as their uniform.

All 5 of my kids dance.  Trust me you can never have enough tights.  🙂     I had just gotten some new ones for 3 of the girls too.  But I still bought more for when those ones wear out.  

• Like 1

Walgreens is offering free shipping on any order today! Plus, you can score an extra 30% off regular priced items when you use the promo code CYBER30 at checkout.

Calling all parcel and package delivery drivers! Stop by your local Krispy Kreme today, November 30th and show your employee ID or wear your uniform to score a FREE Dozen Original Glazed Doughnuts!

No purchase necessary.

Valid today only, November 30, 2020.

From moneysavingmom

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

I just used my Kohl's cash for Cyber Monday sales, with all the coupons I just had to pay for shipping- $8.95. I've not had a cent of personal money since September and am finally taking a bit of fun money myself this month and that was a good use of it with already having $45 kohl's cash, a $10 coupon and 20% off.

I got- 2 tshirts , cardigan, pair of leggings and jeans AND a pair of boots.

Nice wardrobe basics I can mix and match.

I'm super excited. My $150 from MIL really stretched there. 

I did not get the kids socks, that can come out of the clothing budget not my budget!

• Like 4

ugh! My Walmart grocery delivery was cancelled again!! I tried to chat with them to get my Walmart+ membership refunded to me again because they aren't providing the service they agreed to but they are having technical difficulties and asked me to contact them later today.  Next step was to post directly on their facebook page about the complaint.  That usually gets a response pretty quickly

• Sad 3

50 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

ugh! My Walmart grocery delivery was cancelled again!! I tried to chat with them to get my Walmart+ membership refunded to me again because they aren't providing the service they agreed to but they are having technical difficulties and asked me to contact them later today.  Next step was to post directly on their facebook page about the complaint.  That usually gets a response pretty quickly

UGH.  That really stinks.  I hope you get the whole membership refunded.  I wonder if just doing a pickup order if you would do better?   I know having it delivered is was easier.  But the pick up would probably be second best. 

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I just used my Kohl's cash for Cyber Monday sales, with all the coupons I just had to pay for shipping- $8.95. I've not had a cent of personal money since September and am finally taking a bit of fun money myself this month and that was a good use of it with already having $45 kohl's cash, a $10 coupon and 20% off.

I got- 2 tshirts , cardigan, pair of leggings and jeans AND a pair of boots.

Nice wardrobe basics I can mix and match.

I'm super excited. My $150 from MIL really stretched there. 

I did not get the kids socks, that can come out of the clothing budget not my budget!

Score.  So glad you were able to do that.  I can't remember what you got in the first order, but the second one is for $8.95.   I am glad you were able to get all that stuff for yourself.   I really think getting it all on BF at Kohls is really such an incredible deal.  Mental note.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Score.  So glad you were able to do that.  I can't remember what you got in the first order, but the second one is for $8.95.   I am glad you were able to get all that stuff for yourself.   I really think getting it all on BF at Kohls is really such an incredible deal.  Mental note.  

Yes, it was! I got a long sleeve shirt, cuisanart food processor, slippers, kitchen towel 4 or 5 pack, and king size comforter with my $150. I paid $26 myself for king size sheets and a king size fuzzy blanket for dh for Christmas.

eta: my $8.95 for today's Kohl's order already went through but nothing more from my previous order that was undercharged $44. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1