Menu

What do I make with these CSA ingredients?

Noreen Claire

Are those ground cherries or gooseberries?  The goose berries have a tropical taste and can make a good dessert.  The ground cherries are more tomato like taste and great in stews. 
Is that cilantro or parsley? 

Otherwise, I would say you have the start of a good salsa. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

if those are husk cherries, we just take off the paper and eat them. Roast up the peppers in the oven w/ onions, tomatoes, garlic and some olive oil, salt and pepper and then whizz it up with the cilantro and some lime juice for some yummy salsa! 

Edited by AmandaVT
  • Like 1

The little basket of peppers look a little like Bishop's Crown to me.  Only mildly spicy if that's what it is.  They make fantastic little appetizers!  Cut the top off and hollow them out of the seeds and placenta and drop a cube of cheese in it. You can sprinkle with seasoning if you like, but then roast them on the grill or in the oven until the cheese is melty.

And I found this recipe for Ground Cherry salsa that looks good!  http://thedigin.com/2015/09/ground-cherry-salsa-award-winning/

In general I agree with the others though.  Char those peppers and blend them with that cilantro and some seasoning (onion and garlic if you have it) and enjoy a delicious roasted pepper salsa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

I think the green stuff is cilantro, the red things are peppers, the husked things are tomatillos, maybe?

If they're the size of a grape tomato, they're probably husk/ground cherries. If they're bigger, like big cherry tomatoes or smaller plum tomatoes, they're probably tomatillos. 

• Like 2

With seeing other ideas — I think I would try to make a sheet pan roast with everything but the cilantro, and with chicken.  Season with the cilantro and serve over rice.

I have some leftover shredded pork right now, and also think this could go good roasted and then served with the pork, rice, and seasoned with cilantro.

I hate to deal with a food processor.  I totally agree about making salsa, but I do not like to deal with a food processor, so I probably would not do that.  

Edit:  if you did a sheet pan roast, you could probably roast everything together, but reserve a lot of the veggies to make salsa on another night, or add to something else.  If you have them on hand and roasted, they can probably be added to a soup or meat dish or salad later in the week.  Or they might be tasty as cold leftovers.  

Oh, leftover roasted veggies from this I think would go great in a wrap.

I would look for either a Southwestern recipe for seasoning ideas, or a recipe with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  

We like chopped cilantro with everything but be aware, to some people it has an off taste.  If you don’t know if everyone likes cilantro I would hold off on putting it on the whole meal.  

I also would probably definitely go with Southwestern flavors if using the cilantro, but if I didn’t want to do that, I think the other ingredients would be fine with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  I don’t think I would do that and then add the cilantro.  

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/sheet-pan-balsamic-chicken-veggies/

I made this recently and it was a great wrap filling leftover.  It could use everything but the cilantro.  Or you could roast one pan with this kind of dressing and one pan with more Southwestern seasoning, and have the Southwestern the first night with cilantro, and the second pan as leftovers.  

If that is all the cilantro, it’s not a huge amount, and I don’t think there is enough cilantro to go with the amounts of the other things, I think that’s enough cilantro to go with about half of the other stuff, or even a quarter of the other stuff. 

Edited by Lecka

Thanks everyone!

I will freely admit to being raised in a house where the only seasonings were salt, pepper, and celery salt. Onions and garlic weren't ever an option. I didn't start learning to cook until my early/mid-thirties. I'm also one of those people who find cilantro tastes and smells like soap. Ugh.

I roasted everything (minus cilantro) with some onion and garlic, blitzed it in the blender with tomatoes,  lime, salt, and the cilantro, and have put it aside for Thursday night's grilled chicken dinner. My husband will love it. My SIL said my house smelled like tacos, so that is a good sign!

• Like 5