Menu

Do young adult women wear leg warmers?

Kassia

I'm always looking for gift ideas for my sons' girlfriends.  A friend of mine recommended some nice warm leg warmers for me because I'm always freezing and I was wondering if they would make good gifts for the girlfriends.  They are in their 20s and also always cold.

13 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am imagining something that Jane Fonda would wear. Perhaps I am imagining the wrong thing?  

Nope, just more modern!  https://www.amazon.com/Lucky-staryuan-Women-Warmer-style/dp/B01N0HJ5TZ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=leg+warmers&qid=1600559515&sr=8-5

Looks like this is not a gift idea for the girls!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Ah, now I get you. 

I have seen the boot sock things inside tall boots. They are cute. I've not seen them without the tall boots (which is what I envisioned from the OP). Those you posted are cute!

I wonder if there are two different looks going here. Dance kids have a particular style - they like to combine dance looks and warm up clothes with street wear. That’s where I see the leg warmers.

But I’m in a mildish climate. I could imagine that in really cold areas, people might wear them sticking out of taller winter boots. Winter fashion can definitely be regional. I just don’t know.

• Thanks 1

They had a very brief comeback here about 7 or 8 years ago. Like others suggest, they were used with boots for a bit of color flare, but I haven't seen them here in 5 or more years.

We are in the PNW, so if we aren't seeing it here, I can't imagine they are really in style anymore (West Coast is usually behind East Coast for styles). I have a 21 yo daughter and a 13 yo, so I am still in the thick of teenage styles. 

Leg warmers aren't very comfortable with boots (too hot), so I am sure that helped to seal their demise. LOL

Edited by Tap
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I wonder if there are two different looks going here. Dance kids have a particular style - they like to combine dance looks and warm up clothes with street wear. That’s where I see the leg warmers.

But I’m in a mildish climate. I could imagine that in really cold areas, people might wear them sticking out of taller winter boots. Winter fashion can definitely be regional. I just don’t know.

I live in a place that gets cold and don't see leg warmers except on dancers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tap said:

For gifts with a similar theme, I would look at getting them a couple pair of super cozy socks (Smartwool is a great brand), a cashmere scarf (or other fine soft wool), or a cute wool hat (snow board brands often make great ones). 

Based on the replies, I am definitely not going with leg warmers!  

I've bought many warm items in the past - electric throws, warm scarves, warm socks, fleece-lined leggings, etc.  I'm running out of ideas!  I give them gift cards for their birthdays, so I hate to do that at Christmas, too.  But I don't want to give them things that make them silently groan either (looks like the leg warmers would cause that!).

Thanks so much for the help everyone!  🙂

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 9:53 PM, mommyoffive said:

Those are not leg warmers.   Those are boot toppers or butt cuffs. 

It’s been so long since they were in fashion, I couldn’t even remember what they were called. My oldest dd has a couple pairs, but fortunately, they ran their course very quickly here. My 12yo wouldn’t have any idea what they are. 

We live in MN, and leg warmers are not a thing on any teen girls. They do love hats, fleece blankets, coffee, hit chocolate. So many blankets! The blankets aren’t just because, though, they are usually gifts from friends or boyfriends. 

• Like 1