Menu

Just for fun: I wish we could just do THIS for homeschooling...

PeterPan

And I'll start. I wish we could just watch musicals. Cats turned out to be WAY better than I thought, and ds was kinda into it! Who knows what progress and important learning could occur if we just watched musicals instead of doing grammar and all this other work. :biggrin:

What about you? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Travel.

What version of Cats?

Oh what a good point! So tell me why that wasn't my first thought? LOL Maybe he's not the right age/stage. I'll have to ponder that. It definitely would be awesome. We've gotten just a taste with our winter treks for sun. 

We saw the one the Andrew Lloyd Webber youtube page put up for free. It was astonishing.

2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

For many kids, especially kids with ASD?  Watching things with complex language, absorbing it as a whole, and then gradually pulling it apart can be a great way to learn.  Plus musicals are such a great area of interest, because you can tie in social skills, and team work, and music, and dance (exercise!), and it's an area of interest that can last for a lifetime.  My elderly mom still goes to the theater with her lady friends!  

Well it hadn't occurred to me I wasn't crazy, mercy, lol. 

2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I think my dream homeschool would consist of snuggling up together with read alouds, building legos, and playing outside in the sunshine.  

That's a good vision! I hope you get it!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Uhhh... I’m weird and don’t have visions of a less academic homeschool. I like academics! Even more egregiously, I don’t love read-alouds...

I will be weird with you. 😁

My kids would like to sign up for video-games-only homeschooling, though. 😄 Well, one of them might go for board games instead.

• Like 1

As far as musicals — Hello, Dolly was new on Disney Plus recently, and “Put on Your Sunday Clothes” is a hit here.  We are on the second time through on YouTube during a break.  

Annie (3 versions!) has also been popular.  

My older son was on stage crew for the musical Legally Blonde but it had to be cancelled.  

Edit:  my kids haven’t been to into them, but the Descendants movies on Disney Plus are a popular/new movie-with-songs.  I think they’re pretty good.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, egao_gakari said:

Basically what the homeschool Instagrammers make their everyday lives look like 😛 

LOLOL

7 hours ago, square_25 said:

I kind of wish we could just stay home for homeschooling and take fewer classes. I’ve embraced our chiller pandemic schedule, but DD7 normally loves classes and I don’t know if it’d be good for her socially. 

Is there something you want to *do* by staying home?

7 hours ago, Slache said:

I was very torn between travel and reading, but she said one.

I imagine you could read while traveling. I usually sleep or eat, but many people read on vacation. Come to think of it, I seldom pleasure read anymore. All my reading is research or work on projects, nonfiction. I've tried to do something about it, but apparently my plan wasn't good enough to get me to do it. 

7 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

You could read on the plane.

And in the sun, and on the beach. :biggrin:

7 hours ago, purpleowl said:

My kids would like to sign up for video-games-only homeschooling, though.

This would be ds' dream, lol. He's currently plowing through Link's Awakening, and actually it's surprisingly valuable for him. He gets frustrated and has to take a deep breath and deal with it and try other ways. That frustration tolerance seems good to me. But I think there are limits, lol.

6 hours ago, Lecka said:

Hello, Dolly

Ok, *I* like Hello Dolly but I don't know if he would, lol. But it's a good point. 

6 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Stage crew!  See @PeterPan, there's your math and science and vocational education, he can also work front of the house and sell tickets.  We'll call that Economics.   Make sure some of the musicals are historical and you're done! 

Yes, that's actually what I was thinking. 

6 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I have decided that in my fantasy home school I'll just do one thing, but I'll choose different things for each kid.  DS9 and I will just cook.  We will measure and read recipes.  We can look up recipes from around the world and claim that as geography, discussing why recipes flopped will be chemistry.  Arguing about whether we can just make dessert for every meal will count as both nutrition and public speaking.  Then when we're done cooking, we'll eat what we made and write a review!  

DS10 and I will snuggle up together and read.  I need to keep thinking about my oldest.  

I love this. I like that it's custom to where they are, respecting their needs/bents.

5 hours ago, Little Green Leaves said:

I wish that we could just have conversations. Fun, interesting conversations like "what makes that painting look gloomy" or "who does that character remind you of." 

And I wish that while we chatted there were machines whirring away in the background, straightening up the house and washing the dishes.

Ok, this I think you should do. Get a Roomba and DW and then discuss stuff. Even my ds will do that. It's just very *brief*. LOL Mostly I do the work (reading aloud, driving the picture study, whatever) and he's along for the ride. But I like to think that's being Vygotsky inspired (zones of proximal learning) and that it's rubbing off and getting him to a higher level. In some ways it works, because you're taking someone who isn't ready to pursue the art or culture on their own and saying you'd enjoy it if you did it along with me. :smile:

3 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

Watch movies and great discussion. That sounds amazing.  hmm maybe a high school elective in film and worldview might be worth considering . . . 

Definitely! We watched the entire Star Trek original tv series together when dd was in high school. We would watch an episode and then pause to discuss whatever economic, political, moral, etc. theories were being explored in the episode. She remembers it fondly and it's really the bulk of what she got from me because I was so busy dealing with ds the rest of the time.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Little Green Leaves said:

And I wish that while we chatted there were machines whirring away in the background, straightening up the house and washing the dishes.

Yes!  My biggest frustration with myself is my constant distraction with housework.  So, "I wish we could just do THIS for homeschooling...": stay focused.  Both me with my housework and DS8 with his staring out the window.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, this I think you should do. Get a Roomba and DW and then discuss stuff. Even my ds will do that. It's just very *brief*. LOL Mostly I do the work (reading aloud, driving the picture study, whatever) and he's along for the ride. But I like to think that's being Vygotsky inspired (zones of proximal learning) and that it's rubbing off and getting him to a higher level. In some ways it works, because you're taking someone who isn't ready to pursue the art or culture on their own and saying you'd enjoy it if you did it along with me. :smile:

Yes -- we've been having more of these kinds of discussions and it's so much fun! The highlights of my morning were two little chats about paintings and books. I've never heard of Vygotsky but now I'll have to look him up.

More than a dishwasher or a roomba, I want some kind of device that can pick up all the STUFF that we all leave around the house. Like that contraption at the end of the Cat in the Hat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Little Green Leaves said:

Vygotsky but now I'll have to look him up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_proximal_development  A little jump start for you. There are whole books on it where you can see it in action, but you'll get the jist. It's kind of startling after you think about it, when you realize how we accepted a testing mindset and how easy it would be to shift to mentoring.

• Thanks 1

More travel. I am able to get a lot of educational trips in a year (excepting these last few months of course), but if I could have endless money we would do much more. And go to all the museums, and all the concerts. 

And if I had endless money I would have all the books. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 5:51 PM, CuriousMomof3 said:

I will add that I think that if I was homeschooling under other circumstances, where the long term plan was homeschooling, and I wasn't juggling work and medical stuff, this might actually be my approach, at least through about 6th grade.  I think a year or two of weaving everything into cooking would be fantastic for my youngest, and there are certainly worse things you could do than just read books together.  

It's not for us this year, but I think it really could be a workable approach.

I have always wanted to do this. Just sit together and read every book in the house, without any expectation of output or a lesson plan. I don't think we'd every abandon formal academics entirely, because kiddo is really excited about math and botany right now, and would be disappointed if we discontinued those topics. But I think I'm going to do it this year! Life is already upside down from the pandemic and I don't see that changing any time soon. There are certainly worse things to do than spend 6-12 months reading. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slache said:

We're watching Cats.

Do you stream it or you own it? Preferred version? I'm half scared to try to watch it again, uncertain of whether I'd like it as I catalogue the cats or just jump. I'm also very concerned that it MADE SENSE when people said it was supposed to be weird, lol. But you did have to kind of watch it backwards to make some of it come together.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Do you stream it or you own it? Preferred version? I'm half scared to try to watch it again, uncertain of whether I'd like it as I catalogue the cats or just jump. I'm also very concerned that it MADE SENSE when people said it was supposed to be weird, lol. But you did have to kind of watch it backwards to make some of it come together.

Stream. Prefer old version.

The last 2 minutes is exactly why we don't have a cat.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

Stream. Prefer old version.

The last 2 minutes is exactly why we don't have a cat.

Now I have to go rewind and figure out what happened. I like cats and have a bunch of them. They have to be outside because dh has allergies. But yeah, I'm sort of a cat lady, like the pigeon lady only cats.