Menu

Darn Facebook ads (I'm shopping too much!)

alisoncooks

So far in quarantine, I've bought mostly necessities. However this week, Facebook ad have targeted all my weak spots!

Paula's Choice -- % off plus free shipping?! No brainer! Time to restock my regulars.

I've also been suckered into some new things: Poo-pouri (don't judge me! It was basically BOGO!) and Flat Iron Pepper Co. (planning ahead - these are for DH's Father's Day gift - he's a heat freak).

I almost bought some magical pony tail holder that is (supposedly) the Best Thing Ever...but I practiced some restraint. 

Anyone else need to put down the phone and walk away? What have you bought?

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Haha 2

I bought headscarves/wraps from Natural Life. I've seen their ads for months, such cute stuff, and I thought my daughter would appreciate that she can also use them as a face/mask covering. She received them today and loves them.

I also have considered the Calamity Ware dishes ads and finally bought a pack of bandanas this week in case our governor begins requiring masks.

Today I saw a SAK Hobo bag for $90 off. I hemmed and hawed quite a bit over it, dh was encouraging me to buy it, but I decided I didn't like any of the colors for a summer purse and finally walked away!

Please update on the Flat Iron Pepper. It looks fantastic!

• Like 1

I ordered masks that a friend linked to from a local business.  

I ordered more comfy home clothes from LL Bean and Athleta due to ads on FB that must be tied to my actual shopping habits.  

I ordered a guided meditation and journal thing from a FB ad.  That was likely a wasteful impulse.  

I ordered $6 shirts that have 2020 on the outside of a dumpster that is on fire.  I order from $6 shirts pretty regularly.  These were clearly a need, lol.  

I preordered new running shoes from Merrell off a FB ad.  I desperately need new ones.  

Outschool has gotten me on FB too for classes for the kids.  

I PASSED on yoga pillows, a PT cushion, several gifty things, those metal things to press buttons and open doors with and so many underwear ads.  So that’s something.  I guess. 

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

Facebook is having a hard time pinning me down. I guess I don't shop enough online. 

They started with ads for period panties. No thanks!

Then I got ads from a "pro-body hair" razor company, with pictures that were TMI. Very much no thanks!

Some more ads for alternative feminine hygiene products. Nope.

I clicked "this is too personal" when asked why I didn't want to see the ads anymore.

After that, they started showing me ads for hijab outfits. 

???

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’ve been getting a spate of ads that very much don’t match my beliefs.  For example, an organization that wanted me to sponsor Muslims to receive Bibles.  On the first day of Ramadan.  Um, would that organization like to receive the holy books of other faiths on the first day of Lent?  Just not my style, even if I were still a practicing Catholic.  Another ad for a snarky political t-shirt attacking my Governor, whom I enthusiastically support.  The algorithm is messed up.  I’m guess I’m glad I confuse them.   🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Facebook is having a hard time pinning me down. I guess I don't shop enough online. 

They started with ads for period panties. No thanks!

Then I got ads from a "pro-body hair" razor company, with pictures that were TMI. Very much no thanks!

Some more ads for alternative feminine hygiene products. Nope.

I clicked "this is too personal" when asked why I didn't want to see the ads anymore.

After that, they started showing me ads for hijab outfits. 

???

I get a lot of ads for super modest swimsuits, which is on target because I wear them due to being prone to severe sun burning.  One of the sites is run by Orthodox Jews and another seems geared to Muslim women.  One seems to be aimed at middle aged pale women who burn easily.  Ding ding ding ding ding.  But I have clicked on all and made a purchase or two in the past.  Mostly I get that stuff from Lands End because it’s cheaper.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I usually scroll past them. The only things I ordered recently, which I probably would have ordered anyway are a year of Curiosity Stream, a trial of CBS All Access (dh wants to watch Picard), and Misfits Market produce. The latter is a company that delivers produce that is either not pretty enough for the grocery store or there was too much and it needs to go somewhere. I used a friend's code so she could get a discount on her next order.

• Like 1

Not FB-related. I've purchased art (mostly colored pencils) & tinkering (super glue, hot glue sticks, small diameter metal rods, balloons, etc) supplies for two of my kids. Um, sandals and shoes for those whose current footwear is falling apart or doesn't for anymore. Oh, and a mic for the computer for my kid who has a YouTube channel. So, that was a splurge but it was bought on eBay for a discount.

And I've supported a couple of Kickstarters that I probably will never actually use. But, I feel good about supporting them.

I need to post some homeschool stuff on Ebay while everyone is still home & looking fir new curriculum & supplies!

• Like 1