Menu

Has anyone ever actually gotten the free trial with Reading Eggs?

Janeway

I am asking because I thought I would try again. I have never actually gotten the free trial. I have attempted to create accounts over the last few years, but never have gotten the free trial. Right now, they have another promo of 30 days free. I decided to try again. I used an entirely new email. I signed up. It says it sent me an activation email. I never received it, again. I can see from my history this is my third time over the last few years. It is not an issue of having already received it. Every time, it eventually offers me to pay for a subscription, but I have never received a free trial, ever, at all, not once. I am starting to wonder how many people are unable to get the free trial and think it is a glitch so they pay for it anyway. I am wondering also if anyone has ever received the free trial.

Back in the day, people used to pile the activation codes all on top of each other and use it free for literally years. And then nearly a decade ago, they cracked down on that, so some of what you may be experiencing might be related to that. We used it briefly back in the day but it was so long ago. They're definitely legit... maybe you can contact them?

9 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Back in the day, people used to pile the activation codes all on top of each other and use it free for literally years. And then nearly a decade ago, they cracked down on that, so some of what you may be experiencing might be related to that. We used it briefly back in the day but it was so long ago. They're definitely legit... maybe you can contact them?

I have contacted them several times and never get answers. And the few people I know who have used the program and tell me it is great, also tell me they never got the free trial (or they had it long ago, but not in the last year or two) but paid for it anyway. So now I wonder if they have taken to advertising the free trial to get people to come to the website and then never actually give it. 

Edited by Janeway

Bah. I'm guessing it's a glitch and that they're a bureaucracy so you don't hear from them. People definitely have gotten the trial... though it's possible that their clampdown on all the free use went too far and they are getting more from promising something they aren't delivering.

Just now, Farrar said:

Bah. I'm guessing it's a glitch and that they're a bureaucracy so you don't hear from them. People definitely have gotten the trial... though it's possible that their clampdown on all the free use went too far and they are getting more from promising something they aren't delivering.

I can see in my email history where I emailed them January 2019 and again summer 2019 because it was not sending me the "activation code" to try. I still get their emails to sell me stuff but not any activation code. Ironically, I was just about to order some of their workbooks when I remembered that so I stopped myself and went back and tried to make another account and never received anything. So, we have never had a free trial at all, ever. And I am now not going to order the workbooks because of it. Ironically, if there were no free promo, I would have just paid for the workbooks based on the samples. But then I remembered how the whole reason I was on their page was because I tried to sign up for the free promo and never got it. It is the principal of the matter. Sort of like bait and switch. They bring you in with promises of a free product. Most places that do this are hoping you stay to buy stuff. But instead, perhaps because they felt taken advantage of by others in the past, they now take advantage of new shoppers by promising the product and then not coming through but still offering to sell other stuff. 

I CAN NOT STAND them!  I used them once and it took me FOOOOOREEEVER to cancel it and by the time I got someone, they already charged me so I had to waste tons of time again and they wouldn't give me my money back. I did a charge back on my cc bc I hated the whole thing so much!

• Sad 1

We've used Reading Eggs on and off as a supplement. They gave me an extra free trial once on our account because when we tested out the trial the first time, ds wasn't ready for it so we didn't subscribe but I couldn't get it to give me another trial. All it took was one 20 minute phone call to get a second trial when he was a little older to see if he was ready for it and we subscribed for a while that time. I think we are actually on the free 30 days for coronavirus right now. Like I said it is a supplement and ds uses it in his free time so I think we still have the free month but I'm not sure.