Menu

People are wrong on the internet and I need to just step away

sassenach

2 hours ago, Fifiruth said:

No, we’re not. That is an unusual trademark of the new coronavirus. 

That's 100% untrue. MOST diseases are contagious before you show symptoms. That's how they spread! Covid-19 has a longer incubation period than most of these illnesses, but if you google strep throat, flu, fifth disease, measles, chickenpox, AIDS - all of them are contagious before you think you're sick.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Fifiruth said:

Pay attention. Walking around wearing a mask everywhere and always is a Chinese thing, not an American one. To announce that Americans will now adopt this custom after the pandemic is over, is arrogant and not his place. 

This is the absolutely most bizarre thing I've read all month. Your thought process makes no sense whatsoever. I can hardly see what you're talking about, and I definitely don't understand why you care. "It's Chinese, not American" is stupid. "It's arrogant to announce that people will change" is stupid. This entire thought process is stupid and weirdly xenophobic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kand said:

Ah. I think you may have just given me some insight into why mask wearing in particular is such a hot button issue for a sizable minority of people. 

Or maybe they live in Florida where it is so hot and humid to wear a mask. After menopause, I need the least stuff worn possible 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’ve unfriended one and will probably unfriend a few more.  😔

This virus has shined a spotlight on a few people.  

Anyone unfriended their parents?? I’m ready to! 🙄🙄🙄

I've unfriended a few. I feel ok about it, actually.  The friendships had run their course and had turned into a lot of "work" to maintain them. There were a few things that were said over text and zoom that left me feeling weird, and I thought "You know, I don't feel like doing this anymore. This is way more effort than I feel like expending". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I've unfriended a few. I feel ok about it, actually.  The friendships had run their course and had turned into a lot of "work" to maintain them. There were a few things that were said over text and zoom that left me feeling weird, and I thought "You know, I don't feel like doing this anymore. This is way more effort than I feel like expending". 

I really would love a whole thread on just this subject and have been mulling that thought around with one of my snoozed friends for a while. I have never been any good at declaring the death of a relationship. I value the happy memories and the things we have in common. But the things we don’t have in common....I have been thinking, “It’s just so much work to be your friend.” 

On 4/12/2020 at 2:52 PM, elroisees said:

I've had to unfollow a number of people recently.  I've even had to "unfriend" a few.  In real life, I would not attend a second social event with someone who said the uglier things I've seen.  They made me cry this week, and I suddenly realized that I'm in control of some of this exposure, and have to take responsibility for what I permit to affect my life and emotions.

Dd1 married a man from MS.  As of a few years ago, both of them have virtually distanced themselves from many relatives mostly because of deep racism that has  been revealed.  Now several years ago, she knew that most of the rural relatives of her MIL were either racists and she wanted to be as little around that as possible.  Last year, her inlaws and they went to a antique store where the owner decided to show them his "special" collection of KKK stuff-  it was an antique store and people do collect historical stuff and she was uncomfortable but didn't leave yet-  she was having a hard time deciding how to act like a Christian versus show she disliked this.  Then he took them to his even more 'special' collection because according to the owner, they were the 'right' kind of people.  Neither she nor her husband had said anything yet.  He proceeds to show them a room full of old very racist advertisements.  One with black caricatures too.  At this she pipes up that AA people don't look like that, and this is racist stuff and leaves the whole store to wait outside.  Her husband follows her outside too.  Her MIL comes out a short while later and says she doesn't like this either but was trying to get her husband out.  

Now the kicker, is that her FIL knows that dd really hates anyone saying the N word and has decided to keep using it around her whenever she is around him,  She can't totally ignore him on social media so she texted him a lick to this.

10 hours ago, Fifiruth said:

Creepy. All so convenient, though, isn’t it?

I did find it creepy. I remember wondering at the time how many people even thought about it. If I had had to stand in front of a camera or something when checking in or going through security, I might not have found it so strange.

13 hours ago, Fifiruth said:

Touché! I will give you that technicality. I will note that “may be able” is commonly known as speculation. 

According to this 2017 article from UC-Berkeley, colds can be transmitted 1 day before symptoms as well. https://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-community/contagious-disease/article/how-long-cold-contagious

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’ve unfriended one and will probably unfriend a few more.  😔

This virus has shined a spotlight on a few people.  

Gosh, I've seen a few of my local friends in a new light. I got on last night for a group I'm involved in, and my feed had exploded. BTW, my state is being pretty reasonable and measured about things IMHO.  

But someone had picked up EVERY possible protest post in my state including how this was the beginning of a police state. Another was calling for all of their friends to go to one at the state capital these week when we are still in some level of lock down. 

And then there were the snarky "we're better than you" religious posts.

It's really something to watch.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Fifiruth said:

I certainly will wear a mask in a store, although most of the employees don’t! 

Our governor said something weird about wearing a mask in public. He said that doing so was going to be the new culture in our state, even after this pandemic is over.  What’s up with that? It’s Colorado, not Beijing . 

We will have worn masks for a couple of years be the time we get through this, so it’s hard to know what will feel normal. It would be great if it became standard when a person felt sick. 

Before this whole thing, my biggest future medical concern was the post-antibiotic era that we’re headed toward. Maybe we will stave that off a little by slowing down infections of all types. Maybe. (There’s a ton of other factors with that too, so maybe not.)

On 4/20/2020 at 6:12 AM, Quill said:

I really would love a whole thread on just this subject and have been mulling that thought around with one of my snoozed friends for a while. I have never been any good at declaring the death of a relationship. I value the happy memories and the things we have in common. But the things we don’t have in common....I have been thinking, “It’s just so much work to be your friend.” 

Start one!  I'll weigh in! I have loads of opinions on the matter, lol. I have done so much purging of the relationship and emotional baggage closet lately. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:40 PM, Fifiruth said:

That’s the rudest, most insulting thing I’ve read all month. Are you trying to reach your gaslighting quota?

1. You don't know what the word "gaslight" means, do you? It doesn't mean "saying something mean".

2. Anybody who thinks that "this is part of that culture, not this culture" is a good reason not to do something that can save lives is setting themselves up to be insulted.

2a. Anybody who thinks "this will be part of our culture in the future" is an arrogant statement or "not his place to say"  is, well, see above. (And isn't it not YOUR place to say that it WILL NOT be part of our culture in the future? Isn't THAT arrogant?)

3. You can be a bigot even if you've lived in another place or travelled a lot. The one has nothing to do with the other. I'm not saying you are a bigot - only you know what you feel and believe in your heart - but I stand by my statement that pinning your American identity on this topic of mask-wearing is bizarre. And if you keep going "That's not part of OUR culture, that's part of THEIR culture" then people are going to draw their own conclusions about why you think it is bad or wrong or "arrogant" for Americans to suggest this may become a lasting and widespread part of our culture.

3a. Not sure where to fit this in, but incidentally, did this governor say that this is something he thinks WILL happen, something he thinks SHOULD happen, or something he thinks MUST happen? And do you understand the difference between those three statements?

Edited by Tanaqui