Menu

People are wrong on the internet and I need to just step away

sassenach

I had to log off of FB after I read someone's post about how Bill Gates is only developing vaccines so he can implant micro-chips into us all. I didn't even bother clicking to see why he would want to micro-chip us, just closed the tab quickly. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2

And that's why I share lots of pictures of kittens and random Youtube videos and whatnot. I also scroll past the more egregious cr*p. I want to stay on FB, because friends and family, but I'm just not going to engage and get sucked in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I saw a comment on a local news article that said something like: "They've taken God out of our schools and public monuments and now they're coming for Easter."

God help us. 

SMH. 

I thought Christians generally believed God is omnipresent. How can anybody remove an omnipresent being from anywhere?

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Junie said:

I was just talking to my dh about maybe *finally* setting up a facebook account, to help me keep in touch while everyone is quarantined.

You all are making me reconsider...

Strongly do not recommend setting up facebook. The only reason I kept one going for as long as I did was to connect with local homeschool groups.  Since my local group is now ground-zero for wacky conspiracy theories about 5G and Bill Gates wanting to enslave us all, I don't have a compelling reason to keep it up anymore. 

• Like 4

Fortunately, I haven't seen crazy posts.  Except for one idiot who thought we in the USA were gettimg too medications for our disease.  Uhh no.  Not a single person was getting lots of meds for that disease.  Whether in US or anywhere else.  He just didn't seem to get it that we in US and Australia are getting a biologic for the disease to stop progression of our type of arthritis. 

But most of my friends are posting things like encouraging messages, funny videos, photos of what they are doing during this shutdown like helping others, etc, etc, etc.  

• Like 1

Truth.

I said in another thread I left a very beloved group.  I joined them on a forum like this in October 2001 and left a few weeks ago.  I'd like to think I'll rejoin when this is over, but I honestly don't know.  And I have to admit it makes me both angry and really sad. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I was just talking to my dh about maybe *finally* setting up a facebook account, to help me keep in touch while everyone is quarantined.

You all are making me reconsider...

Well the trick is who you friend.  Or if you have people you feel you MUST friend.....sometimes you need to 'unfollow' them.  

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Well the trick is who you friend.  Or if you have people you feel you MUST friend.....sometimes you need to 'unfollow' them.  

Our church has a private facebook page (separate from the public page) for people to share prayer requests, updates, etc.  I don't know if the page is opinionated or not.  Or if it is monitored/by whom.  This page is the main reason I'm considering.

I already know that I would not be able to friend my sister, and probably not my brother.  My ds19 has friended both of them on his facebook (he kind of needed it for college, as that's how some of the groups he's in communicate).  He told me one time: You would be surprised by some of the things your brother and sister post.  He told me a few things that he remembered and I told him that I was not surprised at all.  There's a reason that he doesn't know his aunt and uncle very well...

I think I just solved my dilemma:  I can just ask ds19 to join the church page and then let me know of anything that I would really want to know (prayer requests, news from good friends, etc.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

Our church has a private facebook page (separate from the public page) for people to share prayer requests, updates, etc.  I don't know if the page is opinionated or not.  Or if it is monitored/by whom.  This page is the main reason I'm considering.

I already know that I would not be able to friend my sister, and probably not my brother.  My ds19 has friended both of them on his facebook (he kind of needed it for college, as that's how some of the groups he's in communicate).  He told me one time: You would be surprised by some of the things your brother and sister post.  He told me a few things that he remembered and I told him that I was not surprised at all.  There's a reason that he doesn't know his aunt and uncle very well...

I think I just solved my dilemma:  I can just ask ds19 to join the church page and then let me know of anything that I would really want to know (prayer requests, news from good friends, etc.)

Again, just don't follow them.  That is what I did with my brother.  But then one day I went to his page and saw stuff that I couldn't un see and I unfriended him completely.  And I told him I had to unfriend him and why.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I guess I've been lucky and haven't had those experiences...  I was just telling my dd today how encouraging it is to see the good rise to the surface in most people during these times.   Even the FB posts I read have been pretty encouraging, with people being more forgiving toward the "other side."

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I guess I've been lucky and haven't had those experiences...  I was just telling my dd today how encouraging it is to see the good rise to the surface in most people during these times.   Even the FB posts I read have been pretty encouraging, with people being more forgiving toward the "other side."

My FB is amazing.  I have such a supportive community.  A few 'outliers' in people like my brother and a couple of distant relatives.  Keep your circle tight people.  

More and more I see the wisdom in 'birds of a feather flock together.'

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My FB is amazing.  I have such a supportive community.  A few 'outliers' in people like my brother and a couple of distant relatives.  Keep your circle tight people.  

I think if you can find this that is great. I do have one group that is more of a post about needs or events (which now don't exist) type group that I did learn stuff from and allowed me to help others but most of my wise friends stay off facebook leaving me with crazy people. I'm thinking I need to copy pictures and say goodbye.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Yes, but at a carefully measured six-foot distance from one another.

• Haha 7

Layer #2...reasonable articles to discuss posted (merits of one country's approach over another's, for instance). I add my perspective. Suddenly, the person is espousing a million things NOT in the article she posted, and ALL of the dire things this person is concerned about WILL come to pass if we keep the country locked down...you know, microchips from Bill Gates. A former pastor's wife this time. 

I really don't like the false advertising. If you're into conspiracy theories, don't hide it by posting NOTHING about your conspiracy theory and posting an article that says NOTHING about your conspiracy theory but launch into it later while your other friends wink and nod from the sidelines.

That's a lot like lying. 

I can sometimes tell when someone means more, and then I can kind of steer the conversation to get them to reveal their position more honestly (usually without creating strife), but it really bothers me when it's basically a bait and switch. 

• Like 2

I have one friend on FB that just popped out of her 30-day snooze (people don’t necessarily know if you snooze them; I love her but OMg, her posts...) and I saw her posts for a day and a half and then popped her right back on snooze. Same with a few others. Still friends on there, but givemeabreak with the nonsense. 

A few weeks ago, I was arguing with a “friend” from high school about our leader’s handling of this crisis, when another dear high school friend PM’d me and essentially said, “you’re too intelligent to be dragged down into that nonsense.” We chatted privately for a couple of minutes and then I dropped the argument and snoozed the couple of “friends” causing me strife. 

For the most part, my FB feed is awesome and I keep it tight and mute or unfollow the trouble-makers. I seriously wondered if I am going to lose one of my friends by the time this settles down. That’s why I must use my snooze. Like, “if you really think this is what’s going on, it’s going to be hard to be friends.” I take comfort in noticing that crazy posts have very few “likes” or like-minded comments. 

• Like 3

I was a very late joiner of FB, only having set up an account this past fall. I only did it because of a specific group I wanted to join. I contemplated an account using a pseudonym, but felt too weird about that, so used my real name. And of course once family and friends knew I was on I had to friend some of them. I very intentionally have kept my friends very (very) limited, though. I feel no compunction to accept the friend request of someone I knew in high school and haven't seen or talked to in forty years. My former dentist asked me to friend her (she was moving to start her own practice in another city). Nope. I had no interest in that relationship beyond professional. So I've been very selective and have a grand total of 34 friends. Even so I've had to unfollow some of them. I do occasionally go to their pages when I feel up to dealing with the crazy. I can only take it sometimes, but overall I feel it's worth it to know what kind of stupid things people I have to interact with believe. And as I scroll my mantra is "It's not my job to fix stupid."

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StellaM said:

Yeah, 'cos no-one can meditate on Jesus' death and resurrection at home. 

I'm only culturally Catholic and I've thought about it more than once over the past couple of days!

First thing I thought about here when I woke up (Easter Sunday). If I want to, I can go into a quiet spot any time today, or any other day, and think about the resurrection of Christ.

See, people are BAD. Or STUPID. I don't know what's worse.

My MIL rang me (I haven't spoken to her for 18 months, long story) to tell me how sad she is she had to watch Mass on the television.  Seriously, praise television and the wonders of our 21st century!!! What is wrong with her???!!!

Why are people like this? I'm glad I'm not in the Blitz or somesuch with any of them. 

This right here is what my dh and I do not understand at all.  And dh and I were discussing this a few days ago----it is as if you can tell who is a actual believer and who is there for the socialness and trappings.    

Overall, about the BAD or STUPID, sometimes it is a combination.  We have, in the US< had some heavy handiness,  that is nuts and often combos of  both the BAD and STUPID.  In a Mississippi town in the Delta last week, the mayor sent the police to give 500 dollar tickets to people having a drive in worship service.  Just yesterday, a federal court reversed a similar attempt for Easter drive in Service in Louisville, KY- as the judge said, there is no difference why you can park at your grocery store, go through McDonald's drive through but not go to drive in service.  Then the story of the police who removed a basketball hoop from a family's front yard because the 12 year old girl was  shooting basketballs into it but she was all alone and how is that helping Covid19 not spread.

On a better note- ESPN is obviously suffering financially with all sports on hold.  They had asked their highly paid anchors and commentators to chip in part of their salaries to protect the wages of the lower ranked and paid people.  All but one of them did.  The last guy wrote a letter about how oh poor him, etc.  He was making over 300K and he was let go from the organization.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

This right here is what my dh and I do not understand at all.  And dh and I were discussing this a few days ago----it is as if you can tell who is a actual believer and who is there for the socialness and trappings.    

Overall, about the BAD or STUPID, sometimes it is a combination.  We have, in the US< had some heavy handiness,  that is nuts and often combos of  both the BAD and STUPID.  In a Mississippi town in the Delta last week, the mayor sent the police to give 500 dollar tickets to people having a drive in worship service.  Just yesterday, a federal court reversed a similar attempt for Easter drive in Service in Louisville, KY- as the judge said, there is no difference why you can park at your grocery store, go through McDonald's drive through but not go to drive in service.  Then the story of the police who removed a basketball hoop from a family's front yard because the 12 year old girl was  shooting basketballs into it but she was all alone and how is that helping Covid19 not spread.

On a better note- ESPN is obviously suffering financially with all sports on hold.  They had asked their highly paid anchors and commentators to chip in part of their salaries to protect the wages of the lower ranked and paid people.  All but one of them did.  The last guy wrote a letter about how oh poor him, etc.  He was making over 300K and he was let go from the organization.  

All the bolded - when stuff like this happens (add in banning gardening in Michigan), it only makes the conspiracy theorists seem like they have a point. Sometimes, I’m sorry we do have such strong state’s rights bc some populations are unfortunately steered wrong by their stoopid governors. But then I’m glad that my governor does have strong state’s rights because he doesn’t have to agree with or defer to You Know Who. 

I do sometimes feel like, “wow, lucky for me; I live where there is a competent governor.” 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I can only take it sometimes, but overall I feel it's worth it to know what kind of stupid things people I have to interact with believe. And as I scroll my mantra is "It's not my job to fix stupid."

Bingo. I just get blindsided sometimes by who I thought was normal. It's like they are sleeper agents or something, lol!

I take note of who likes their posts--I know not everyone agrees with them, but I know that some not only agree but understand even partially hidden references to weirder things that are going right by other people. 

Sometimes I also make comments that aren't particularly argumentative, but are things that force them to say something outright instead of implying it with a wink and nod so that mutual friends who don't know them very well yet have a heads-up of what they're dealing with. That might make me not very nice, but I despise the two-faced wink, wink, nod, nod version of whackadoodle. 

Straight whackadoodle is rarely blocked unless it's like a 24-hour conspiracy channel, lol! Then I tend to modify my settings. 

• Like 3

I've had to unfollow a number of people recently.  I've even had to "unfriend" a few.  In real life, I would not attend a second social event with someone who said the uglier things I've seen.  They made me cry this week, and I suddenly realized that I'm in control of some of this exposure, and have to take responsibility for what I permit to affect my life and emotions.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Yes, it's painful. When the at-home stuff started, I got fired up and replied to several people when I should have held back. One was ranting about college stuff I know about as a professor, and another was pushing the "call the formula company for a free case if you can't buy any" for the twelfth time. 

Now I update a group I manage, scan my feed, and stay off the rest of the day. When I scanned this morning, there was all kinds of conspiracy and fake science stuff amid "look how pretty my Easter table is." OK, I liked the pretty Easter tables. I'm not into it, but good for them. 

• Like 1

It's hit a new low. People on my FB feed who claim to be Christian and pro-life are bragging about how they are going out in public and to the grocery store without a mask. Others with the same beliefs are replying wishing they could be brave enough to post about going out without a mask as well, but they are afraid of the criticism.

I can't snooze this because, honestly, if any of these people are teaching my kids Sunday School, or transmitting their values to my kids at co-op, I need to know. 

[I am a Christian and pro-life.]

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

I've been blocking randos in groups and left a couple of groups that weren't even politics-driven in the least, because commenters were just out of hand. 

But then my oldest childhood friend posted a video of Michigan's protest, without commenting. I reviewed some of her recent posts and it was clear she thought the protesters were heroes. Fortunately other people (not considering that she was celebrating them) commented about how they disagreed with the protesters, but not quite so nicely. I was glad I didn't say anything myself. I think my friend has created a nice bubble for herself in FB and expected everyone to love her video.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler
  • Like 1

I can see where people have concerns though.  We never know what lens they see life.

When I read about the governors of NY and CA recommending people rat out their friends and neighbors and others who are violating social distancing- it again made me think of the autobiography The Red Scarf Girl by Ji-Li Jiang and growing up during the Cultural Revolution in China. That was a common ploy, done for the good of the country of course.  There’s actually been quite a bit that makes me think of that book, and how quickly people lost their freedoms, belongings, and more.  If anyone hasn’t read it, I highly recommend it!!  It was part of my kids literature class in 7th grade.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Fifiruth said:

I have watched every press conference by the federal task force and my state governor. I read/watch six or seven news sources both domestically and internationally every day. I can say with absolute conviction and certainty that the vast majority of news outlets are distorting what is being said, and some have outright lied. A lot of information is withheld, too. They lie by omission. 

The online interviews of medical personnel in Asia, Europe, Canada, and the U.S. are the most informative and thoughtful. I also enjoy investigative reporters/reports.

I hope that those of you who “can’t stand” everything being said are challenging yourself to read and watch sources outside of your bubble. Otherwise, you’re just as much of a dumb sheep as those you distain. 

Yes, I know, some of what’s said is out there. Then again, who’s to say that they are the ones being naive and gullible?

I agree that this is good to do, but I think I speak for many when I say it takes a lot of time and stamina to do so. It’s actually one of the things I like about this site, because there are people with different opinions, who sometimes make a very good case for something I did not initially agree with. 

But again, the main issue seems to be the amount of time and mental attention it consumes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kand said:

😥 That makes me so sad. I’ve read a number of stories today from grocery store workers who are scared going to work everyday, because they have to have contact with such a high number of people, and so many don’t care about protecting them. They didn’t sign up to be in a dangerous job, and now that’s where they find themselves, and they don’t want to be heroes, they just wan to be safe. For people to brag about putting others at risk on purpose makes me so sad.

I don’t understand why the mask thing is such a line in the sand for so many people. The arguments about it on my local Nextdoor are crazy. Why are people so unwilling to do a small thing like that?

I don’t get it either. I was wearing masks weeks ago. I was wearing masks in my own home when my kid was quarantined from returning from France. 

In my vain little way, it was actually one of the reasons I wanted to learn how to make good masks - because I wanted to have a couple of cute ones that fit well and don’t bother me much. 

I think so much of it is the “don’t tell me what to do!” rebellion. Just like seatbelt laws or helmet laws. It never made sense to me to get bent out of shape because the government no longer asks but rather tells you to protect your brains while you speed along on a crotch rocket. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fifiruth said:

I certainly will wear a mask in a store, although most of the employees don’t! 

Our governor said something weird about wearing a mask in public. He said that doing so was going to be the new culture in our state, even after this pandemic is over.  What’s up with that? It’s Colorado, not Beijing . 

Perhaps because mask wearing is something many of the Asian countries have been doing right for a number of years? Ya know, one of the things that would be really good for the U.S. to admit that we could take a lesson from? Just think how many cases of influenza could potentially be prevented.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fifiruth said:

I certainly will wear a mask in a store, although most of the employees don’t! 

Our governor said something weird about wearing a mask in public. He said that doing so was going to be the new culture in our state, even after this pandemic is over.  What’s up with that? It’s Colorado, not Beijing .

So what? Does that mean that you should spread illness willy-nilly?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Perhaps because mask wearing is something many of the Asian countries have been doing right for a number of years? Ya know, one of the things that would be really good for the U.S. to admit that we could take a lesson from? Just think how many cases of influenza could potentially be prevented.

Wearing masks, along with no more shaking hands, are two things I hope will normalize for the population as a whole. I’m sure there are lots of people who will never wear a mask except by EO (though some won’t even then), but I hope to see it become the same as, say, some people wear hats but others don’t. Some wear scarves, some don’t. Some wear jewelry, some don’t. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’ve unfriended one and will probably unfriend a few more.  😔

This virus has shined a spotlight on a few people.  

Anyone unfriended their parents?? I’m ready to! 🙄🙄🙄

I had to snooze someone I consider a close friend; I snoozed her over a month ago because of the “it’s just the flu” stuff. When she came off snooze, I left it but after two or three nutty posts, she’s back on snooze. I swear if I read many more posts from her I seriously don’t know how we will continue to be friends in the future. 

Thankfully, my dad never FBs and my mom almost never comments or posts, though she does read. She always knows about pictures I have put up recently, so she clearly does look. I do know an older man, friend’s father, who I otherwise really admire. But he’s deep in crazy-town with his posts and so he’s staying snoozed as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fifiruth said:

Well, you can always hope, but I wouldn’t hold your breath. 

Well, I might be old enough to just do what I want and not care if others think it’s weird. 😄😷

If I have a mask, I won’t need to hold my breath, lol...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well, I might be old enough to just do what I want and not care if others think it’s weird. 😄😷

If I have a mask, I won’t need to hold my breath, lol...

Sorry I’m quoting myself, but I want add: 

I appreciate the *opportunity* that has arisen to get rid of hand-shaking and to normalize donning a mask. After this situation has calmed down, at least nobody will be baffled if you don’t shake hands or if you wear a mask. I’m sure plenty of people will roll their eyes like, >>>ugh! Germaphobe! But a year ago, I think those two things would be at least more confusing, possibly offensive, but now they will probably/possibly be considerably less. 

• Like 7

Today on FB, I’d posted some articles about people begin tested for Covid and a friend replied with something along the lines of wondering what “they” were doing with the DNA in the tests that have been collected.  I pointed out that “they” have been collecting our blood and urine for decades and if “they” wanted our DNA, “they’ve” had access to it for a loooong time. 

It’s like people are skittish and looking for threats EveryWhere. This is normally a pretty sensible person, so I was a little surprised at the worry she expressed about someone collecting our DNA.  Like...where did that come from?

I think it’s a fear reaction.  People are scared and trying to figure out where the threat is coming from.  We know it’s the virus, but you can’t see that, so they’re looking for a threat they can see.  Not consciously, but it’s like it’s some sort of unconscious survival thing going on right now—look around for the threat—where is the threat!.  The conspiracy theories are getting crazier and crazier as people try to pinpoint where the threat is coming from (the president! the governor! Bill Gates! 5G!!)

—-

Masks:  people are feeling uneasy that there might be too much government control.  It seems like the mask has become a physical symbol of that control. If they wear the mask, they are announcing to the world that they are submitting to tyranny.  So rather than wear the mask, they’ll convince themselves that it’s useless or is worse to wear them than to not.  I’ve heard a few people say, “The masks are so uncomfortable that I end up fiddling with them so much that it’s more dangerous for me to wear them than not.”  Ok, maybe. Or maybe it’s just an excuse.

Snoozing:  I snooze a number of FB friends.  The snooze lasts for 30 days and I usually end up snoozing them every 32 days.  One friend that I commonly snooze got through last week.  She commented something that I took as a personal attack (it was on my post) and I got aggressive back at her.  I rarely get drawn in to that, but oh, they were fighting words.  And actually, when I got aggressive back, all I did was turn her words around on her “Well, I think YOU are the one listening to the wrong media!” Back and forth.  She’d say something and I’d tell her back her exact words, but directed at her.  She got pretty mad at me and unfriended me and then wrote a post on her wall about stupid idiots. (Me. I was the “stupid idiot.”). Sigh. And after that, I realized I had to be better with snoozing people on day 30.5 and not day 32 so that I wouldn’t be tempted to engage.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Garga said:

Today on FB, I’d posted some articles about people begin tested for Covid and a friend replied with something along the lines of wondering what “they” were doing with the DNA in the tests that have been collected.  I pointed out that “they” have been collecting our blood and urine for decades and if “they” wanted our DNA, “they’ve” had access to it for a loooong time. 

I saw that. It was so odd. A while later, I was thinking, any of us who have given birth in a hospital, or had a tumor removed have had “them” take physical relics containing our DNA. Placenta. Umbilical cord. “Neoplasm” (a tumor). Hell, I instructed them to investigate my genetics and to characterize my tumor so I could get the most accurate diagnosis! 

If someone is doing Sci-Fi things with excised tumors and afterbirth, well then...knock yourself out I guess. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Fifiruth said:

Yes, we have been getting blood tests done for certain things, but there has never been a time when many people in the government have been pushing hard for total blood/saliva sampling from all Americans,  and even worldwide. That is unprecedented.

We already know what the tech giants and the government have done with simple genealogy DNA samples. Can you imagine what could been done with DNA samples from every person matched to Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc. databases, with photos and all email and social media postings to match? With Google, Apple, Microsoft tracking everyone? Face recognition in many communities already?

”Widespread testing, ....contact tracing”. It’s like a mantra. It “has to happen” or we won’t be released. 

It’s not that it’s deliberately being proposed for nefarious reasons by the epidemiologists; but, once all of that data is collected the level of potential surveillance and control in the wrong hands is nearly total. 

Where is the ACLU? They are totally silent.

But, Fifiruth, isn’t that already true for everyone who participates in normal modern society? Even Target knows if I should get coupons for tampons or Depends. Even my ninety-billion posts on here, if they are web-crawled, would create a data profile five inches thick. 

I don’t know, maybe *I’m* the sucker, but I have never been able to get too worked up about these things. I still remember when some homeschoolers I knew had not applied for a SS# for their kids because they were afraid of something-something-something with the government tracking you from birth. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Fifiruth said:

We already know what the tech giants and the government have done with simple genealogy DNA samples. Can you imagine what could been done with DNA samples from every person matched to Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc. databases, with photos and all email and social media postings to match? With Google, Apple, Microsoft tracking everyone? Face recognition in many communities already?

One of the airports I passed through recently (well, a little longer than recently now that we've been quarantined for 6 weeks), had face recognition to board the plane. I didn't even have to scan my boarding pass. I fly quite often and that was the first I'd seen that. I remember vaguely wondering where the "recognition" came from....social media? the ID I used to get through security? Not sure.