Menu

Dr Hive, is this the flu or a reaction to the vaccine?

Noreen Claire

I had my annual physical yesterday morning. It had been rescheduled a couple of times, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I only got my flu shot yesterday.

By the afternoon, I noticed that my arm was very sore, unlike vaccines in the past. By the time bedtime rolled around, I was feeling cold. I shivered all night and developed a headache. DH got me another blanket and 800mg of ibuprofen over an hour ago. My temperature is currently 99.6°F by mouth. My arm feels better and I'm not shivering anymore but my headache is still there.

DH just left to setup his classroom for a substitute for the day, and should be back before the kids get up. 

Do you think I managed to pick up the flu at the doctor's office, or do you think it's a reaction to the vaccine? I've never had a bad vaccine experience before, but I know my kids are always warm and cranky the day of/after getting their shots. I had the flu four years ago, and was down and out for 10 days over Thanksgiving. It was awful, but I don't remember if it came on this fast.

What say you?

My unprofessional guess is that it's a reaction to the vaccine.  I never get them and neither do my sons, but my daughter and husband will sometimes get reactions like that.  When I did get the flu, it came on very suddenly - like I started with a mild headache and a few hours later I was in bed and couldn't get up.  Hope it was just a reaction and you feel better soon. 

• Like 2

I think it’s possible that you could have picked up just about anything there!  
If it makes you feel any better, I only recently got mine, too.  I’m not normally a flu shot person, but lots of recent reading changed my mind. I didn’t personally feel any side effects from it except the crummy feeling of being lectured by the nurse for waiting until February.

• Like 1

It sounds like a textbook reaction to the vaccine to me. From the CDC:

Some people report having mild reactions to flu vaccination. The most common side effects from flu shots are soreness, redness, tenderness or swelling where the shot was given. Low-grade fever, headache and muscle aches also may occur. If these reactions occur, they usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days.

• Like 2

Reaction. The flu has an incubation period, there is very little chance you could have been exposed at the doctor's office and been sick with it only hours later. The arm soreness is normal for sure - I get that every year. The mild fever is something my son gets - in fact he's ill for 3 days each time so has decided to stop getting it - but he's a healthy 20 yr old and that's up to him. 

• Like 4

I vote for a reaction to the vaccine.  The arm thing almost certainly is.  

If you had picked up the flu at the doctor's office, it is extremely unlikely that you would be exhibiting symptoms the same day.  It is possible that you have the flu (or some other bug) that you picked up earlier in the week though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, EKS said:

If you had picked up the flu at the doctor's office, it is extremely unlikely that you would be exhibiting symptoms the same day.  It is possible that you have the flu (or some other bug) that you picked up earlier in the week though.

This is what happened to me years ago when I last had the flu.  I had brought my kids in to the pediatrician's office for their flu shots and came home with a headache and then full blown flu symptoms within hours.  I'm sure I didn't get it from the doctor's office, but it was quite a coincidence!  

• Like 1