Menu

Good Place for a Girls' Weekend Trip

scbusf

My mom lives in FL, I live in VA. She turns 70 this summer and I'd like to take her on a long weekend trip. It would be me, my 2 girls - ages 10 and 12, and my mom. I'm not opposed to us flying somewhere, but I'm not a huge fan of flying, so I'm thinking of staying on the East Coast somewhere.

Give me some ideas of good places we could go. It needs to not involve a ton of walking and it needs to have things my girls would enjoy. 

Any ideas?

52 minutes ago, scbusf said:

Give me some ideas of good places we could go. It needs to not involve a ton of walking and it needs to have things my girls would enjoy. 

What are they likely to enjoy? Your mom? 

My girls were 9 & 11 when my mom was 70. Random things they all enjoyed: 

• Disney World; wrong part of the country, but maybe a theme park of some kind for a day that has not only rides but shows and other attractions. 
  • Museums, with a big plus for outdoor sculpture gardens
  • Botanical gardens 
  • Card games
  • Plays and musical performances 
  • Movies
  • Eating out 
  • Swimming and hanging out by the hotel pool 
  • Picnics
  • Zoo, aquarium 
  • Coloring books (extra fun if you get find one related to your destination)
  • Scrabble

For a long weekend, you don't necessarily need a destination with tons to do. Eating out, swimming, and other low-key activities will round out a few specific plans nicely. 

Savannah and Tybee Island?  Savannah is so interesting.  We enjoy walking along the Historic Distict.

And Tybee has dolphin watching boats, the original Crab Shack, Sugar Shack, and The Sand Bar (a bar where it is fun to watch people.)

Fort Pulaski is interesting. on Tybee.  And we enjoy the Lighthouse.

https://visittybee.com/list/must-do-tybee-island-activities-first-time-visitors

• Like 2

Just a weekend? We just got back from Greenville, SC. Really outstanding downtown area, great river walk, variety of restaurants, fun shopping, and the theater is on the Main Street. I don't think it would be great for more that a weekend, but a Friday night, full day Saturday, and 1/2 day Sunday would be lovely and so relaxed. 

j

• Like 1