Menu

Tell me about your favorite holiday books

Despite the fact that she's past the picture-book age, dd has two favorites that get read during the holidays over and over: Snowmen at Night and the 12 Dogs of Christmas. Snowmen at Night is charming and adorable. I love the story and the illustrations.

If a terrible accident were to happen, and the 12 Dogs of Christmas were to, say, be run over by the snowplow or used as firewood, I wouldn't so much as blink.:glare:

-Robin

Just have to take this opportunity to mention "Raphael, The Herald Angel" by David Appel and Merle Hudson!:)

We stumbled onto this book years ago at our public library. Looked and looked for it to purchase but it has been out of print for awhile. Searched the internet to no avail. Finally, friends of ours who own a bookstore

found a seller online :001_huh: who had a copy for something like $2.50 or maybe less:confused: We take time to read it every year.

If you can scare up a copy at your library, it is worth it! It will have you laughing, tearing up, thinking . . .

Yes, that is a nice one.

A beautiful picture book that we stumbled on years ago is "The Little Boy's Christmas Gift" by John Speirs. It is gorgeously & lavishly illustrated.

We also enjoy "The Christmas Cobwebs" by Odds Bodkin. This year, I'd like to add Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory" to our collection. I love that story.

I love The Polar Express.

One that someone recommended here, that I think is so beautiful, is Santa's Favorite Story. It's Santa telling the story of Jesus' birth and it's wonderful.

We have piles of Christmas books. Gloria, the Christmas Angel by Scott Anthony Asalone is a favorite of mine. The Greatest Gift by Melody Carlson is lovely. The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell makes me cry every time. And, we love The Christmas Humbugs by Colleen Monroe. She also wrote A Wish To Be A Christmas Tree, which we also have and is nice.

The Parable of the Pine Tree by Liz Curtis Higgs is a nice story too. Very touching and meaningful for the Christmas season. She has 4 parables, one for each season, and they are all wonderful.