Menu

Dog sitter cost?

Loowit

We are going to be out of town for a bit over a week.  Originally the kids were all going to be home, but plans changed and now the boys will also be gone.  So that leaves DD home and she will be working and going to school during the day.  Our dog can't be left home by himself for that long.  He will almost be 2 years old at the time.  He is a high energy worker dog (Alaskan Malamute/Australian Shepherd) and needs people around him.  He is used to me and the boys being here all day, and is very much a people dog.  On top of that when we leave him he needs to be in his kennel.  He gets bored and will chew up the furniture if left alone.

Last time we were all gone for the day my sister came and let him out regularly.  She played with him and he had a lot of fun. This time we are thinking of hiring my nephew, who is 17 and good with dogs.  We would ask him to be here during the day from about 8 or 9 am until around 6 pm.  We would provide food and entertainment (streaming video mostly).  Mainly he would need to let dog play outside, which dog is happy if we just sit on the patio while he plays, though there would be some running and playing and walks.  So for all of that for 5 days, how much would you offer to pay?  I was thinking around $150-$200, but I have no idea if that is too low.  We live in a moderate cost of living area.

Rover.com charges around $25 - $50/day in our city (with $25 - $35 being most typical).  That's for a 24-hour period, but the pet-sitter isn't driving back and forth anywhere every day.  So, I tend to think your price range is probably fine.  I'd err on the higher side though for a relative.  Also, does he have far to travel there and back each day?  I guess that would factor into it too. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Rover.com charges around $25 - $50/day in our city (with $25 - $35 being most typical).  That's for a 24-hour period, but the pet-sitter isn't driving back and forth anywhere every day.  So, I tend to think your price range is probably fine.  I'd err on the higher side though for a relative.  Also, does he have far to travel there and back each day?  I guess that would factor into it too. 

He lives about 2 miles from us, so not far at all.

• Like 1