Menu

This might seem obvious but, if you go barefoot all day, can you have smooth/soft feet?

PeterPan

13 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Oh no! Did you pre-soak and leave on for 2 hours? I recently used a cheaper version that has salicylic acid in it, IIRC. It’s very liquidy but works well. There is probably a benefit to tougher foot skin. 🙂

Ahh, didn't realize that was in the fine print! The St Ives apricot scrub recommended by the Dr. Dray has that too. We begin to come full circle here...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

that's a brand name of nicotinamide ribose.  I've had that rec'd by dudelings ND (don't recall the specific brand she rec'd), and I've done some reading on it.   

Yeah, David Sinclair is one of the dudes researching it. I don’t want to shell out the really big bucks for the stuff that’s closer to what he uses but this is supposed to be a good precursor. We just started taking it so I’ll be curious what it does.

The NAD ivs are $1,000 but are supposed to be outstanding. I’ve seriously considered them for my hubs because of his migraines. Trying to get rid of them completely. He’s improving though so, yay!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I told them no polish, and they were fine with that.  didn't charge any less.

Oh snort, I don't want to pay the same amount if they're not doing the work, lol.

13 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

interesting.  I know circulation has been part of it for dh - as it is just one foot, the one a miniscule piece of bone was broken when he was hit by a car.

Ouch!

11 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I got my first real pedicure in my fifties. I wouldn’t spend the time or money getting them regularly unless I were either diabetic or flush with cash. But an occasional one is really nice for a good start to foot maintenance, kwim? Like a jump start. 

I have decided to use a pedicure as an incentive for some goal reaching this year, one which involves a lot of time on my feet. That still keeps it in the “treat” category.

Last time I was at the nail salon I noticed a couple of older ladies came in for just a polish change. I can imagine treating myself when I reach that stage. 

If you do go, be sure to choose a salon that uses fresh disposable liners for each client’s foot bath, and fresh tools that are wrapped so you know they’ve been cleaned. 

Yup, my mother does it because it's hard to see/reach her toes. Here you can get just the polish touched up for like $30.

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

that's a brand name of nicotinamide ribose.  I've had that rec'd by dudelings ND (don't recall the specific brand she rec'd), and I've done some reading on it.   

eta: I went and looked it up.  she rec'd  NiaCell by Thorne.  (jarrow is also a dependable brand)

I already take niacin, so I'm thinking it could be too much of a good thing. Nuts, it could be my daily niacin is why my cracks are doing better, hmm.

12 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

eta: I went and looked it up.  she rec'd  NiaCell by Thorne.  (jarrow is also a dependable brand)

Thanks! I like Thorne products. Gonna check them out.

11 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I would think you’d have more luck with D (healing properties), quality EFAs (ex fish oil), and coconut oil (reported to be a natural antibacterial).

Yup, I already have my D up at the top of the normal range per labs and take flax oil daily and eat wild low mercury fish. 

8 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

It’s not bad. But if one lives in a climate where even “dress shoes” means a pair of sandals, I guess there’s more awareness of how feet look?

Yeah, I'm pretty naturalistic at this stage of my life, but it did not escape my attention that basically every woman on the cruise had painted, groomed toenails. There are times/locations when one makes more effort, lol.

8 minutes ago, seekinghim45 said:

Well, I don't wear sandals because of my toenails...  But I hide my hands to.  Just facts of life that I am too old to change.

Again, that's you, your choice, your self-awareness about why you're doing what you're doing. It's highly unlikely you CAN'T change. I took my MIL to a professional bra fitting in her mid-70s and she bought BRIGHT RED lingerie! LOL That was right after her (conservative) dh died and a year before she passed. Anybody can change at any time. They just have to know they WANT to, and the way we do that is with our interoception or self-awareness.

And again, I'm not saying anyone HAS to do something. Just if you don't know if you want to or not or can't imagine how that would feel or can't sort out your feelings on it, that's really different. I didn't realize I had any issues with this till someone challenged me. I used to go into stores, look at things on tv, look at people in certain types of clothes, and go HOW DO THEY KNOW??? Now I get it.

Edited by PeterPan

15 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Just a little warning in case anyone goes out to Youtube looking for Dr Dray. I knows she gives good advice. She's a dermatologist and does not promote weird things. But I can't stand to watch her because I think she looks anorexic. Apparently I'm not the only one because I was curious once and googled her and apparently many people agree with me. I find it disturbing to watch her because she is so thin and you see the very prominent bones in her shoulders and arms. 

Her appearance doesn’t bother me in the least. Her dermatology advice is sound. That’s why I watch her. If she does in fact have anorexia, then I feel sad that she has to deal with that problem, but it wouldn’t  affect her skin advice. I don’t watch the videos where she’s talking about her diet bc I’m not vegan, but I like the skincare stuff. 

15 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

I’m about to go for a walk but wanted to throw out another idea to consider: how about letting little fish eat the dead skin off your feet? 😱LOL Anyone willing to admit they’ve done this? 

12 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

For Pete’s sake, a gal's gotta draw the line somewhere!

But seriously, when I took my young kids swimming on the calm sound beach shallows, little nibblers were common. 

LOL I don't know, I mean compared to risking breakouts from hidden petroleum and chemicals in these lotions, fish don't seem so bad. LOL Someone was telling me about it and said the person trying to do it squirmed a lot. So maybe it's weird, not fun? And where we live is so mundane, surely not? But you never know, lol. I mean we have a thriving aquaculture industry. It really should be the next big thing. Organic foot services. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

As an aside, can anyone tell me how to make the link just one word? Like when I write ‘kerasal’ it would be blue so you can click on it, instead of the huge link posted below like in my post? TIA!

Use your mouse to highlight the word you wish to use. While it is highlighted, click the "link" button above the text box (looks like two links of chain). A pop-up window should appear. Copy your link into the URL box. Click "insert into post."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

That's actually the reason I started pumicing regularly, because I was getting concerned. I was having deep cracks that would bleed and hurt, and I didn't want to risk anything with going to the gym, showering and using the steam room there, etc. At this stage I'm more on the pro-active side. But this natural place, just for a pedicure, was $65 with tip and tax. I actually think it would be neat to have them do my nails, just to see how tidy they could make them. I always trim my own, but they really made my toes look tidier than I ever have. 

I want to see if they'll do the service without paint, lol. Or maybe like paint my toes before the cruise but only tidy and not paint my hands. I don't know, would they look good for two weeks with paint? I'm gonna snorkel, do water slides, and generally be wild, lol. (As wild as a non-drinking woman gets, lol.)

They should be able to trim, file, and buff for you. You can be nice and neat and shiny without polish. Wouldn't that be a gentlemen's manicure or something like that?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, seekinghim45 said:

Sort of a spin-off I guess, but I'm in my fifties and have never had a pedicure.  My feet are rough...but I don't care I guess.  Is there a good reason to spend money or time on this?  Don't do manicures either, but I pick my nails horribly.  

I have had neither a pedicure or manicure-also in my fifties. I have heard of people our age getting them though.

• Like 1

I wanted to second that the Kerasol is a great product. After I've had a pedicure, I use the Kerasol and put on white cotton sox at night or just around the house. The tube isn't big, but you don't need much if you start to using it after a pedicure. I usually find $1.00 coupons in the newspaper every few months. 

I also have size 10 feet and I can't stand tight socks. I had surgery on both feet, and If I wear socks that are too tight, I can feel where the surgery was done. I splurged and bought a 3-pack of the socks below. I love them and use them just at night or around the house after a shower when I've applied the Kerasol. They are not tight on my size 10 feet, and they usually last more than a year for me. 

https://www.amazon.com/No-Nonsense-Womens-Cotton-3-Pack/dp/B0037LJ0R8/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3M09LHWA438QW&dchild=1&keywords=womens+white+cotton+socks+large+size&qid=1577933329&sprefix=large+women's+white+cotton+%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-9

I have paid extra when getting a pedicure for the "callus removal" treatment. It really does the job and it usually an extra $5 in my area. Totally worth it for me.

• Thanks 1

You can, but I'm not sure you want to.  If you get baby smooth feet it hurts to use them, especially barefoot.  But I can tell you how to do it, easily, cheaply and at home.

You need something to soak your feet in.  The easiest/cheapest thing is a plastic boot box. $3.  You also need epsom salts, vinegar, water, and a pumice stone.  Optional is some sort of essential oil to make this concoction smell good.  The stronger you make the mix, the faster it will work.  Soak your feet for 20 minutes twice a day, rub the pumice stone over them every 5 minutes.  When you're done rinse your feet, apply any thick lotion, even vaseline, and socks.

You'll see a huge difference in less than 3 days, and have baby feet in less than 2 weeks.  I regretted it because I was working in nursing at the time and it turned out I needed my callouses.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Math teacher said:

I have had neither a pedicure or manicure-also in my fifties. I have heard of people our age getting them though.

Nope, you cannot. Age 49 is the LIMIT. Cross that line, and you don't get to change your mind or try anything new. :biggrin:

Said no one in their 50s ever... ROFL.

1 hour ago, Sallie Mae said:

I wanted to second that the Kerasol is a great product. After I've had a pedicure, I use the Kerasol and put on white cotton sox at night or just around the house. The tube isn't big, but you don't need much if you start to using it after a pedicure. I usually find $1.00 coupons in the newspaper every few months. 

I also have size 10 feet and I can't stand tight socks. I had surgery on both feet, and If I wear socks that are too tight, I can feel where the surgery was done. I splurged and bought a 3-pack of the socks below. I love them and use them just at night or around the house after a shower when I've applied the Kerasol. They are not tight on my size 10 feet, and they usually last more than a year for me. 

https://www.amazon.com/No-Nonsense-Womens-Cotton-3-Pack/dp/B0037LJ0R8/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3M09LHWA438QW&dchild=1&keywords=womens+white+cotton+socks+large+size&qid=1577933329&sprefix=large+women's+white+cotton+%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-9

I have paid extra when getting a pedicure for the "callus removal" treatment. It really does the job and it usually an extra $5 in my area. Totally worth it for me.

Oh those are perfect, thank you!! I just ordered them. :biggrin:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Katy said:

You can, but I'm not sure you want to.  If you get baby smooth feet it hurts to use them, especially barefoot.  But I can tell you how to do it, easily, cheaply and at home.

You need something to soak your feet in.  The easiest/cheapest thing is a plastic boot box. $3.  You also need epsom salts, vinegar, water, and a pumice stone.  Optional is some sort of essential oil to make this concoction smell good.  The stronger you make the mix, the faster it will work.  Soak your feet for 20 minutes twice a day, rub the pumice stone over them every 5 minutes.  When you're done rinse your feet, apply any thick lotion, even vaseline, and socks.

You'll see a huge difference in less than 3 days, and have baby feet in less than 2 weeks.  I regretted it because I was working in nursing at the time and it turned out I needed my callouses.

Interesting. I probably won't go that far then. 

And dd and I had a chat about it today. She pointed out that my feet run COLD (happy thyroid, snort), so they don't get the moisture and blood flow of sweating. And contrast that with dh, whose feet run nicely warm and who wears warm cozy leather work boots to hold all that in. 

So at least it makes more sense why I'm prone to being craggy. On the plus side, my feet don't SMELL, lol. Literally the only time they've ever smelled was when I had my thyroid up and they started getting warm with exercise. Now I'm off the thyroid meds and cold again. When the stupid labs come back, hopefully I'll be back on them and over this saga. (hypo, hyper, hypo again) Tick tock.

• Like 3

Fwiw, I had to go from being barefoot 80% of the time to wearing shoes any time my feet hit the floor/ground. My feet are somewhat less callused, but they still require maintenance. Calluses come from friction or pressure points, so if you notice an irregular pattern, check your gait. Biomechanics matter, iykwim.

Salicytic acid products really irritate my skin. The apricot scrub uses walnut as the scrubber. Had a nice allergic reaction to that when I didn’t read the label. I can only tolerate pumice stones + lotion/socks at night. I use o’keefe’s healthy feet when things are bad and apricot oil when things just need a bit of moisture. 

• Like 1