Menu

Cleaning With Steam

Spy Car

With Xmas coming I will share my favorite new toy of 2019: The Dupay Neat.

61FAxaSdb7L._SY355_.jpg

Some months back, threads about the Bissell Steam Mops were all the rage. Just at that moment, Mrs Spy Car came home one evening saying she'd been at a friend's house and that she wanted a Bissell Steam Mop for us. I was game, but the "over-thinker" that I am, I started looking around at the options.

Long story short, we ended up with this baby instead. Great on floors, but also very useful for all sorts of other jobs. Bathrooms, grout, toilets, sinks, auto rims, grates, all sorts of items. 

Really like it. About $140 on sale.

It has a real steam tank. Not quite a professional steamer, but pretty darn good. "Prosumer." Far more steam power than a Bissell (which most people love).

I really like this unit. It has inspired some lust for models at 10x the price, I must admit. But the Neat is very cool!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Wow, that is a high endorsement indeed. 

Yep. The Neat is quite a tool. Especially at the price point.

I will admit the awesomeness of this unit does inspire lust for even more powerful models (at nearly 10x the price).

With very heavy jobs where maximum pressure is vital, one can need blast and then "rest" while the unit rebuilds pressure (Green light = Max, Amber = Sub-Max).

Most jobs (floors, etc) don't require maximum pressure.

I still marvel that I have so much "power."

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pen said:

With a long extension cord could I steam a clump of poison oak to death?

I bet you could. I've been using a flamethrower (Harbor Freight weed-burner) fed by a barbecue propane tank to fry crabgrass.

But maybe I'll try steam? Hmm.

Burning poison oak might put irritants into the air, right? I dunno.

Bill

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I bet you could. I've been using a flamethrower (Harbor Freight weed-burner) fed by a barbecue propane tank to fry crabgrass.

But maybe I'll try steam? Hmm.

Burning poison oak might put irritants into the air, right? I dunno.

Bill

If you try it on a weed could you report on the experiment, please!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

With Xmas coming I will share my favorite new toy of 2019: The Dupay Neat.

61FAxaSdb7L._SY355_.jpg

Some months back, threads about the Bissell Steam Mops were all the rage. Just at that moment, Mrs Spy Car came home one evening saying she'd been at a friend's house and that she wanted a Bissell Steam Mop for us. I was game, but the "over-thinker" that I am, I started looking around at the options.

Long story short, we ended up with this baby instead. Great on floors, but also very useful for all sorts of other jobs. Bathrooms, grout, toilets, sinks, auto rims, grates, all sorts of items. 

Really like it. About $140 on sale.

It has a real steam tank. Not quite a professional steamer, but pretty darn good. "Prosumer." Far more steam power than a Bissell (which most people love).

I really like this unit. It has inspired some lust for models at 10x the price, I must admit. But the Neat is very cool!

Bill

Can you tell me why you chose this over other portable dream cleaners?

I've been looking how something that would be easy to clean walls with. Lots of grubby fingers at my house.

43 minutes ago, maize said:

Can you tell me why you chose this over other portable dream cleaners?

I've been looking how something that would be easy to clean walls with. Lots of grubby fingers at my house.

I was torn between this one and several made my McCullogh (including the more expensive McCulloch MC1385 Deluxe) which are "muy macho" compared to the "cute" Neat.

But:

A) The Dupray seemed better rated. And more power (IMS).

B) I was trying to appease my wife who originally wanted a steam mop, and "cute" was a plus.

C) I spoke with customer service for both. McCullogh? Terrible. Dupray? The Rep. blabbed with me for almost an hour, gave me all sorts of tips and provided a very realistic description of the machine and its functionality.

Zero regrets.

I have done all the walls. Easy as cake. The "floor" attachment will take special pads, but for walls (etc) you can also use any sort of rag instead. I use cotton shop rags. Wall cleaning is one of the easiest jobs with a Neat. Superb at this task.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

If this can make my floor grout even sort of white it will be an improvement! I don't think I'd be able to pay 10x it for the honor of cleaning grout. I don't love my grout that much. 

And now I know I'm getting dh a Harbor Freight flame thrower for Xmas too, so thanks for that additional suggestion! 

Grout is the toughest job. We had some stains in our main shower than had me very unhappy. I'd failed with chemicals and brushes. I was strongly inclined to re-grouting. The Neat has been a boon. I will not claim that one only needs to sweep over the grout in one pass. No. It is still work. But work that yields results.

There is a wand attachment that has brushes for this job. Actually best to use little pressure and to stay in one place (letting the steam do the work). If grout is basically clean it goes very fast. It there is a bad stain, it is a process. I've hit stains with steam and peroxide and with steam and bleach/soft scrub.

It is with the grout that visions of a professional steamer have danced in my head.

The Harbor Fright Flamethrower is worth its weight in gold. Pure entertainment! Try that baby at night. OMG!

I use the flamethrower to char sous vide cooked steaks and fish. 

The Neat, Smart Oven, sous vide, and a flamethrower are life essentials. LOL.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Could I use this on laminate flooring?   How heavy is it?  I’ve been looking for a steam mop so your thread is timely.    When you say you steam the walls— what does that mean?   Painted walls?  Does it matter whether it’s flat paint or satin?  Do you wipe it down afterward?  Sorry for so many questions! 

I hear they are great on laminate. We have hardwood, but that use is common from what I understand. Also good for freshening up rugs.

I use the triangular attachments on bed/mattresses. I read somewhere that steamers like this are being used to kill bedbugs, which--knock wood--we've never had. Does make the beds feel nice and fresh.

Another chore that was a nightmare for me, is that the floor moldings I had put in are pretty, but they tend to trap dirt where they meet the wall. A PITA to clean out with other means. But with the wand I can do a sweep and wipe and they are all clean. Happiness making!

Bill

ETA: The unit is pretty small. Not heavy. There are hidden casters/roller underneath so it rolls very easily. I sometimes hold the Neat by the provided handle (that pulls up from the base). Not heavy for me, but I'm a big strong dude. Mostly the unit can stay on the floor.

The cord can be wrapped around a thing on the bottom and thereby hidden away. I tend to be lazy about that. The one negative (that id going to change from what I'm told) is the main hose is fixed (non-removable) which isn't totally ideal for storage and it can not be replaced. 

Edited by Spy Car

I was just looking for one and found a $33 on Amazon, but I’m thinking if I want to clean grout, space between molding, and the inside frame of windows, I need a more expensive one, perhaps? 
So is it the high heat of the steam that removes dirt? If I used it on a mattress, wouldn’t the bed be too wet to sleep on that night?

2 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I was just looking for one and found a $33 on Amazon, but I’m thinking if I want to clean grout, space between molding, and the inside frame of windows, I need a more expensive one, perhaps? 
So is it the high heat of the steam that removes dirt? If I used it on a mattress, wouldn’t the bed be too wet to sleep on that night?

My understanding is the $33 ones are really weak. I've not used one. They did catch my attention. But I passed.

The steam really doesn't leave things "wet." It is pretty "dry" as steam goes. The very first pull of the trigger with the Neat is the wettest, so if I have something that I do not want to get "wet," I will shoot the first couple of seconds to the side or into a towel until I get dry steam. Also, for beds I use a cover on the triangular steamer attachment. It does make beds seem fresher. 

Bill

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spy Car said:

My understanding is the $33 ones are really weak. I've not used one. They did catch my attention. But I passed.

The steam really doesn't leave things "wet." It is pretty "dry" as steam goes. The very first pull of the trigger with the Neat is the wettest, so if I have something that I do not want to get "wet," I will shoot the first couple of seconds to the side or into a towel until I get dry steam. Also, for beds I use a cover on the triangular steamer attachment. It does make beds seem fresher. 

Bill

Good thing I didn't order the cheap one! Thanks for sharing your research with us.

9 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Good thing I didn't order the cheap one! Thanks for sharing your research with us.

I could be wrong about those cheap ones, but they were dinged.

The thing about the Neats is that they--like commercial steamers--have a tank, a steam chamber, which I think has a technical name that I'm blanking on (a "boiler"?)--that builds up steam pressure. The Bissells just have a heating element on the end that makes water vapor, but no "boilers." Not the same. It's not pressurized steam.

The Neat is an entry level model of "real deal" steamers. Grout work is the one job where I think a very expensive professional model would be better. For all other jobs this one is about perfect.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

23 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Well I get my Amazon points in a few days and I'm ordering it! Hopefully I have time to use it before everyone comes to Thanksgiving. They'll all think I got a new floor with the white grout making a comeback. Or hell, even grey-ish grout. 😂

You are getting a Neat? Far out!

I know you will dig it.

Bill (who's having a 70's moment)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Well I get my Amazon points in a few days and I'm ordering it! Hopefully I have time to use it before everyone comes to Thanksgiving. They'll all think I got a new floor with the white grout making a comeback. Or hell, even grey-ish grout. 😂

What are these ‘Amazon points’ you’re talking about???

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Toilets??  How does it clean toilets??  I'm off to research!

Also, on wood floors, that makes me nervous.  We just had our wood floors sanded and resealed with oil based sealer.   It doesnt' warp the wood?

Totally cleans toilets. I'm blasting the toilets all the time. Under the rims, all over. They still need a quick wipe with cloth, but total game changer. They feel both clean and disinfected. And generally I don't use any chemicals. Good for me, as I'm pretty chemically sensitive.

As to hardwood floors, as long as the floors are sealed, no problem. You use pads that go on the floor cleaning tool. Fantastic on hardwood. Gentle and effective.

In the past I raved about a floor product called Quick Shine (or something like that) that is really great for making hardwood floors sparkle. But the only issue is that the floors need to be really clean first. Hard with a vac and a wet mop. Easy with a Neat. Does not not warp the wood.

Makes cleaning hardwood floors really easy. That was the prime purpose of getting this thing. 5 stars for this task. Could not be happier.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I have a Chase Amazon Prime Visa card, so for everything we buy on Amazon, it's 5% back toward Amazon "points" and then I think it's 1% back on all other purchases..... (Not the same as the Amazon Rewards card so if you look into it, know there is a difference..) Every time your billing cycle closes, you get your points on your account and can use them for Amazon purchases (or apply to your balance if you chose), so to me they are like free money, LOL. Dh heartily disagrees there's anything free about it,  but that's the way I look at it. 😉

I was just asking dh last weekend about finding something to help me scrub the grout at Home Depot, so Bill had an extremely timely post. My arthritis is too bad to do the old school Cinderella hands and knees scrubbing, but that's what it takes honestly, as the Bissel doesn't touch grout at all. I have three big dogs, a bunch of kids and an often muddy pasture, and a house full of light tile with formerly white grout, so the grout has seen better days! 

You are going to be so happy. As I said, grout is the hardest (or rather, slowest) job. But patience is best. You just hold the wand. I bet perfect for arthritis as you don't really need to scrub much. And you can use different lengths of the tube to make it short, medium, or long--so less bending for old knees.

Grout only gets 3.5 stars because it is slow, but game changing vs brushes and chemicals. So much better. 

Part of the gag with grout is you want full power steam (or close). The light goes Green when you have full power. After a few minutes of uninterrupted use power you will lose "full power" and the light will go Amber. Amber is fine for most jobs, floors, etc. But grout cleaning is best with full power. So I would clean. Then have a short rest. Rinse and repeat. With full power you have almost commercial level steam. The really expensive ones deliver more continuous full power.

At the price, a really good compromise IMO.

Bill

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.amazon.com/Dupray-Cleaner-Multipurpose-Steamer-Floors/dp/B07C44DM6D/

There is a photo of toilet seat cleaning in the product description. I am tempted to buy and put my teens on area cleaning duty.

I just watched the linked video. Pretty good quick overview of how these work. Accurate, except the grout cleaning--which I think they staged a little. These are good, but not THAT good. Also the grease in the oven. Overly optimistic. Still, I got our Breville that was looking a little grungy due to constant use looking good with a careful steam blasting.

Kinda fun to use too. Toilets are not the same awful chore with the Neat.

Bill

Very interesting. I'm all about cleaning hacks. I recently purchased an Oreck Orbiter used off FB marketplace. That thing is worth every penny I spent if for no other reason than it made my cast iron tubs look LIKE NEW. If you have one, you know what I'm talking about. They have that non slip surface on the bottom that turns dark gray no matter how regularly you clean. Our house was built in '94, so years worth of discoloration. I sprinkled Comet on the tub floor and poured a little water on top. Hoisted the Orbiter in there and in a matter of minutes, it was white again. 

I also have the lovely '90s white tile in all my baths. with the wide grout lines. What sicko ever thought this was a good idea? The orbiter got them cleaner than I have ever seen them, but not perfectly ultra white. So now I'm intrigued. I wonder if this steam cleaner would help. 

• Like 1

So last night I had a bit of a kitchen disaster.

I left a beautiful stainless steeled lined French copper saucepan (Bourgeat) that's among my most treasured items on the stove for few hours on low with something inside that cooked down in to a hard black seemly impenetrable mess. Hard and nasty.

I got "the look" from my wife. I hate that.

I tried a quick scrub last night and realized this was a disaster.

I figured it might take hours of scrubbing. It was bad, Really bad.

Then I thought of my Neat.

In a few minutes about 90% was gone. After another few minutes the rest yielded.

The inside sparkles and looks like new.

Yippee!

Bill

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

So last night I had a bit of a kitchen disaster.

I left a beautiful stainless steeled lined French copper saucepan (Bourgeat) that's among my most treasured items on the stove for few hours on low with something inside that cooked down in to a hard black seemly impenetrable mess. Hard and nasty.

I got "the look" from my wife. I hate that.

I tried a quick scrub last night and realized this was a disaster.

I figured it might take hours of scrubbing. It was bad, Really bad.

Then I thought of my Neat.

In a few minutes about 90% was gone. After another few minutes the rest yielded.

The inside sparkles and looks like new.

Yippee!

Bill

Well I think you've more than paid for your Neat! I have a Ladybug steamer, and while I definitely love it, it's really heavy! I try to use all the water in the tank before I move it to another level of the house just to get rid of some weight, lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugarfoot said:

Well I think you've more than paid for your Neat! I have a Ladybug steamer, and while I definitely love it, it's really heavy! I try to use all the water in the tank before I move it to another level of the house just to get rid of some weight, lol. 

It exhausts me just to think how much scrubbing that job would have taken. It was a horrible mess.

Bill

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maize said:

I didn't wait, I don't want a clean house AFTER the holidays.

Ours arrived this afternoon and so far has done a nice job with the kitchen, dining room, and living room floors.

I hope you love it!

Please share what you think. For me, this little baby is a game changer when it comes to cleaning efficiently.

Bill

ETA: Try a cotton rag on the triangle head and do the walls. It is remarkable how much fresher rooms seem after a quick steam, and it is very easy. Beds too.

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

Has anyone tried it on countertop stains?  I have marble bathroom countertop that I didn't know I was supposed to seal until after I spilled an oily beauty product on it. 😞  I'd love know it will get that out so I can seal it properly.

Oh and I discovered my new quartz countertop does not resist rust.  I laid a old drill bit on the counter in a wet spot while I was doing a home improvement project.  30 mins later I now have a new rust stain.  Grrrr..  not happy.   I've looked at some youtube videos that recommend soaking it in acetone for 24hrs... it would be nice if it was something faster and a less harsh.

Edited by PrincessMommy

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I hope you love it!

Please share what you think. For me, this little baby is a game changer when it comes to cleaning efficiently.

Bill

ETA: Try a cotton rag on the triangle head and do the walls. It is remarkable how much fresher rooms seem after a quick steam, and it is very easy. Beds too.

My son is cleaning the outside of the fridge with it right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Has anyone tried it on countertop stains?  I have marble bathroom countertop that I didn't know I was supposed to seal until after I spilled an oily beauty product on it. 😞  I'd love know it will get that out so I can seal it properly.

Oh and I discovered my new quartz countertop does not resist rust.  I laid a old drill bit on the counter in a wet spot while I was doing a home improvement project.  30 mins later I now have a new rust stain.  Grrrr..  not happy.   I've looked at some youtube videos that recommend soaking it in acetone for 24hrs... it would be nice if it was something faster and a less harsh.

Gosh. I don't know. But I bet a Neat steamer and Dawn would be a very powerful de-greaser. I use it to clean our marble bathroom counter.

Bill

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maize said:

I didn't wait, I don't want a clean house AFTER the holidays.

Ours arrived this afternoon and so far has done a nice job with the kitchen, dining room, and living room floors.

$10 savings is not worth the wait. What I really want is to have it clean the tub without effort on my part such usually involves Mr. Magic and lots of elbow grease.

Just now, crazyforlatin said:

$10 savings is not worth the wait. What I really want is to have it clean the tub without effort on my part such usually involves Mr. Magic and lots of elbow grease.

I could be wrong, so don't hate me, but $10 off is the best deal I've seen. I got a coupon by "dumb luck" as it showed up just when I was going to pull the trigger.

At $149 this feel like great values. Worth every penny in my estimation.

Bill

• Like 1

One tip for Neat buyers, the way these fill up it is very easy to "overfill" slightly, and the extra water gets trapped on top in the recessed funnel-like area.

Instead of trying to tip this extra water out, which would be cumbersome, just pull the trigger on the hose and it will cause the extra water to be sucked in.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the hose, doesn’t water drops stay in it after you’re finished? Wouldn’t this lead to mold or something? I really need a new steam mop and like the looks of this one! But I’m just curious about this hose since I’ve never had a mop with one. 

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

By itself I'd give the Neat about 3.5 stars (with a brush being 0-1 stars) for removing soap scum off tubs. The steam helps a lot, but not "miraculous."

However, combined with this cleaner (Weiman Bath Tub Cleaner) you get 5 Star cleaning. Super easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Bath-Tub-Cleaner-Fiberglass/dp/B0015T0NUW

Bill

ETA: Our tub is enameled cast iron, not fiberglass. Not tried on a fiberglass tub.

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Regarding the hose, doesn’t water drops stay in it after you’re finished? Wouldn’t this lead to mold or something? I really need a new steam mop and like the looks of this one! But I’m just curious about this hose since I’ve never had a mop with one. 

Not aware of it being an issue. The mold spores would need to survive steam heat. Perhaps if you stored it way for a long time?

I think they are working on a Neat II with a detachable hose. No idea when that will be released.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I could be wrong, so don't hate me, but $10 off is the best deal I've seen. I got a coupon by "dumb luck" as it showed up just when I was going to pull the trigger.

At $149 this feel like great values. Worth every penny in my estimation.

Bill

Camelcamelcamel only shows it dropping below the current price once in the past. I checked before I bought.

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I hope you love it!

Bill

Do you have any great tips for attaching a cotton rag?

31 minutes ago, maize said:

Do you have any great tips for attaching a cotton rag?

The floor attachment has clips built in, so that's easy.

For the triangle attachment, I fold a rag then secure it with a heavy rubber-band (that I leave on the attachment until it breaks and needs replacing).

ETA: I secure the rubber-band around the stem of the handle.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, maize said:

Camelcamelcamel only shows it dropping below the current price once in the past. I checked before I bought.

I think I accidentally got it that miracle day. I've never seen it on sale (or--more precisely--with a coupon) since.

Dumb luck.

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I hope you love it!

Bill

I have hard water that builds up scales quickly. I have ruined so many instant hot water heaters that I am hesitant to consider an appliance that heats up and stores hot water. Do they recommend water from a water softener?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I have hard water that builds up scales quickly. I have ruined so many instant hot water heaters that I am hesitant to consider an appliance that heats up and stores hot water. Do they recommend water from a water softener?

What I think it is suggested to use a vinegar and water solution to blow out any scale by steaming it out. Will need to check directions on ratios, etc.

Their customer service is outstanding--as in human beings who know what they are taking about answer the phones and are there to help.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spy Car said:

What I think it is suggested to use a vinegar and water solution to blow out any scale by steaming it out. Will need to check directions on ratios, etc.

Their customer service is outstanding--as in human beings who know what they are taking about answer the phones and are there to help.

Bill

My now retired pediatrician told me years ago to run a  solution of vinegar and water on my hot mist humidifiers (outside of course).  He told me he learned this from working with the first cases of Legionnaires disease that struck in the 70s.  It works wonderfully on my humidifiers and I bet it would work well with the Neat. 

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, mathnerd said:

You could use distilled water; I used our hard water yesterday because I didn't have distilled water on hand but I plan to use distilled regularly (I have a countertop distiller, I just hadn't run it yesterday).

It does come with instructions for cleaning any deposits with vinegar.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

@Spy Car- you apparently caused a sensation. I went to order the Neat today and it's unavailable on Amazon! Looks like no clean floor grout for Thanksgiving after all. 😟

I'm very sorry to hear it. Maybe there will be a Neat II (with a detachable hose) for Christmas?

Then you can one-up me (again). 

Bill

So this is an odd question. How exactly does the steam clean? I have textured walls that have spots from the dogs' ball bouncing off it. Steaming the walls only loosens the dirt (?), so I would still need to wipe them down? And same with upholstery? When I used the Bissell, there was a compartment to collect the dirty water. It doesn't look like this steamer has one, so would I need to have a cloth to quickly wipe off the walls?