Menu

Have you ever changed airline tickets?

mommyoffive

You can do it with most airlines. There will likely be a substantial fee -- usually the difference in price of ticket, plus a change fee (around $100 or so, maybe more, depends on airline, and type of ticket initially purchased).

Sometimes it's as costly as just flat cancelling the existing ticket (no refund/credit) and rebuying a new ticket, depending on the type of ticket you originally purchased. So many have different restrictions based on the price/level you originally paid. 

• Like 1

I have.  I have called and talked on the phone.  It is different every time.  But I have never been on hold very long, and the people on the phone have been friendly and helpful.  They seem like they will change it if they can, and then the fee is whatever.  

I called for my parents when they had a health emergency, and the airline changed their ticket for no fee.  They had to stay at their destination and fly home later.  

• Like 1

there's usually a fee.   1dd switched a ticket at the last minute.  we were all supposed to be on the same flight, so we met the VERY grateful young woman who got her seat. (flight was full.)

I actually succeeded in changing my mom's ticket to my niece (going to a family reunion), something generally never allowed - but that required letters from her doctor stating she was incapable of flying and several phone calls with the airline - but otherwise they were very understanding.  (my mother's health was such she never flew again).  I think I just had to pay the normal change fee.

• Like 1

Yes, and there's generally a fee -- seems like I paid $150 per ticket for it last time I did it (a few years ago).  But, it depends on so many things:  the airlines, what type seat you bought originally, your reasons for changing it, and the agent with whom you speak.  

• Like 1

All of the above.  Usually, if traveling with DH on business, I purchase the one-step-above-bargain-basement ticket so that I can change tickets for a fee.  (his schedule frequently changes) For example, I pay a little less than a hundred more for the 'privilege' of changing if needed (for yet another fee).  Read your ticket email carefully, it may say their policy.

Calling, though, is the way to go, no matter what your ticket says.  When I went to NYC with DS in May, an opportunity sprung up for him to go early and participate in a program with his Alma Mater.  When I called the airline, the gentleman asked why we were requesting a change, then informed me that he would change the ticket for free...despite the fact that we had paid for the no-change bargain seat that time!  So, call.  Even if your ticket isn't changeable, it never hurts to ask.

• Like 4

Mostly generalities follow: This will vary, greatly, depending upon the airline, the route, and specifically, the rules for the particular tariff the ticket fare basis uses, That will have the rules and the detailed information regarding changes and cancellations. So, briefly, on an airline such as Delta or United, the charge will probably be inversely proportional to the fare. The lower the fare, the higher the penalty and fee.  On other airlines, SPIRIT is the one that I am familiar with, they have, I believe, one rule that covers all routes. At least that would I believe be true for domestic flights within the USA. Easier to understand.  

OP get the exact Fare Basis (a combination of letters and numbers that is not the short "PNR" number, which is the Passenger Name Record in the Reservations Computer system and that's how they locate you if you call them on the phone or Chat with them). Then, on the web site of the airline involved, Google for that Fare Basis. If you can do that, you will get more accurate information than you can get on the phone, which may be inconsistent.

Call the airline and ask. Alaska will let you make one change to a ticket unless it is a Saver Fare (or whatever the name of thier lowest fare ticket is). But, I have called with specific issues and they changed it for free anyways. LOL  One change was a complete name change on a ticket for DD.  Her TSA Precheck is under her maiden name, but her  husband booked her ticket under her married name (which is a completely different first, middle, and last name). They let me change her ticket to match her TSA Precheck.  I really like Alaska for lots of reasons, and this was one!