Menu

Looking for vacation destination

Frances

My husband and I are planning to take a trip for our 30th anniversary. We’ve never really been to the south central or southeast part of the US, so are considering those areas as possibilities. We’ve lived in the northeast, Midwest, and now PNW, and have really enjoyed trips to San Diego, and Vancouver and Victoria, BC (separate trips) and Europe.

We like a mix of cultural and outdoor stuff and always eat local or ethnic inexpensive food (so not interested in fine dining; also breweries, wineries, distilleries, etc are of no interest). We prefer a very walkable area, but will be renting a car at the airport, so we can get to different further out places. We usually choose VRBOs or B&Bs over hotels, and I am not interested in a beach location unless there is lots of other stuff to do (as in San Diego, which we loved). Although not a necessity, we really enjoy doing city bike tours when we travel. We will be going in late September or October and do not want to go anywhere where it would warmer than the mid 70s. We would prefer either staying in one large city for the entire trip and possibly taking some day trips or staying in a large city for most of the trip and a smaller town or another city for a few nights. Our trip will be up to ten days in length. 

I’d love to hear your suggestions!

Would Albuquerque NM be too warm then?  It has a lot to offer.  Old town is really neat.  The Tent Rocks was the best hiking I have ever done.  Lots of ethnic small eateries, esp for Mexican food.

OK, I just found this on the weather.  It looks like you would be safe there in later October.

There is also a neat, cheaper, train from Albuquerque to Santa Fe that you could take for a day trip and not have to drive.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Asheville is fairly interesting but 10 days would be way too much for me. (My son lives there.) 

Do you have any suggestions for other cities/areas to combine with Asheville? I’m assuming two full days will be travel days from the west coast, and we might go for as few as six days total, but more likely eight. Ten is the maximum.

11 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Not where you’re looking, but that is the absolute best time to visit San Francisco.  The summer fog clears and usually it hasn’t started to rain yet, plus the summer crowds are gone.

We’ve been there several times because our only family here on the west coast is there. And I agree, September there is great.

A few days in Asheville, a few days in the Smokies, and then a few days in Nashville would probably be a really awesome trip. Asheville enjoying the views and Biltmore, then either Bryson City or Gatlinburg, depending on which sort of Great Smokies experience you want (Bryson has the excursion train and is close to pure wilderness while Gatlinburg is built up and touristy but is closer to Cade's Cove and some of the other "big" Smokies things to see), then a few days in Nashville listening to music and eating food. Asheville to the Smokies is a couple of hours. Asheville to Nashville is about 4 hours. So not close, but definitely driveable without feeling like  you were just in the car.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

I'd suggest Charleston too.

If you want to also check out Savannah, you can take Amtrak to Savannah for a few days.  It's a a short, nice trip and very easy to do.  

But Charleston would be ideal for the longer stay.  (Savannah is better for a shorter stay.)

• Like 1

You mentioned Europe. I say that if you can afford it,. go! 

You mentioned staying in either a large city and taking day trips OR a smaller town/city and another city for a few nights. The climate in these places should be perfect in September. We usually go in May and the weather is fabulous. 

* Nice, France and Provence combine perfectly. We spent three or four nights in Nice and then took the train to Avignon. We spent a few nights in Saint-Remy. Provence is heaven on earth. Seriously. We were there in 2017 and barely a day goes by that I don't dream of that place.

* Same goes for Italy. You could base in Florence and then head off to the countryside in Tuscany. We did that last year. 5 nights in Florence and 3 nights in Montepulciano. Another case of heaven on earth. 

OR 

You could do Rome and then head to Orvieto by train. Right outside Orvieto is this amazing place - Civita. 

* We've also loved Amsterdam and there are lovely places to go from there for a day trip. 

* Granada, Spain and Ronda are both lovely as well. We were there in May. 

The first picture is in Civita, Italy - just outside Orvieto and near Rome. The second picture is Ronda, Spain. 

10.jpeg

10b.jpg

Edited by Negin
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Frances said:

Do you have any suggestions for other cities/areas to combine with Asheville? I’m assuming two full days will be travel days from the west coast, and we might go for as few as six days total, but more likely eight. Ten is the maximum.

Are you driving from the West Coast of the U S?😲 Because it takes at least more than a day to get to NC from PNW...

Edited by Chris in VA

6 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Are you driving from the West Coast of the U S?😲 Because it takes at least more than a day to get to NC from PNW...

Definitely not driving. Just one day each way with driving to airport, flying, getting rental car, etc. We never take early morning flights because we don’t want to start out the trip sleep deprived.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Negin said:

You mentioned staying in either a large city and taking day trips OR a smaller town/city and another city for a few nights. The climate in these places should be perfect in September. We usually go in May and the weather is fabulous. 

* Nice, France and Provence combine perfectly. We spent three or four nights in Nice and then took the train to Avignon. We spent a few nights in Saint-Remy. Provence is heaven on earth. Seriously. We were there in 2017 and barely a day goes by that I don't dream of that place.

* Same goes for Italy. You could base in Florence and then head off to the countryside in Tuscany. We did that last year. 5 nights in Florence and 3 nights in Montepulciano. Another case of heaven on earth. 

OR 

You could do Rome and then head to Orvieto by train. Right outside Orvieto is this amazing place - Civita. 

* We've also loved Amsterdam and there are lovely places to go from there for a day trip. 

The first picture is in Civita, Italy - just outside Orvieto and near Rome. The second picture is Ronda, Spain. 

10.jpeg

10b.jpg

Beautiful pictures! While we could afford it, we were there for three weeks in September a few years ago, and for the cost, flight time from the west coast, jet lag, etc., I wouldn’t want to do less than two weeks in Europe. Also, while I find planning trips in the US and Canada generally fun, planning for further jaunts is more stressful for me, and our fall has already been unexpectedly stressful. And as we really haven’t experienced the southeast or south central part of the US at all, unless DC counts, we’d really like to get there at some point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Have you considered overseas? I can show you around Jerusalem.  I tried to catch up with EmilyGF when she was here but couldn't manage it. I'm in a much better headspace now. 

Not for this trip for reasons posted above, but thanks so much for your generous offer!

19 hours ago, Negin said:

OR 

10.jpeg

10b.jpg

Can you get to Orvieto.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Oh Negin, we were in Spain/Ronda in June and in Italy/Orvieto a few years ago.  Such amazing areas!  

Oh my goodness! We were in Spain in May and Italy last year. Both are beautiful. Have you planned any future trips? We seem to have similar taste!

11 hours ago, Frances said:

Beautiful pictures! While we could afford it, we were there for three weeks in September a few years ago, and for the cost, flight time from the west coast, jet lag, etc., I wouldn’t want to do less than two weeks in Europe. Also, while I find planning trips in the US and Canada generally fun, planning for further jaunts is more stressful for me, and our fall has already been unexpectedly stressful. And as we really haven’t experienced the southeast or south central part of the US at all, unless DC counts, we’d really like to get there at some point.

Frances. I understand. It is too much for a 10-day trip. I wouldn't be up for it either. I hope that your stress eases up soon. 

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you get to Orvieto.

I think that Orvieto would be too far for this trip. Not suitable for 10 days when your starting point is in the U.S. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Negin said:

Oh my goodness! We were in Spain in May and Italy last year. Both are beautiful. Have you planned any future trips? We seem to have similar taste!

Frances. I understand. It is too much for a 10-day trip. I wouldn't be up for it either. I hope that your stress eases up soon. 

I think that Orvieto would be too far for this trip. Not suitable for 10 days when your starting point is in the U.S. 

I don't know what I was typing last night.  I meant to ask can you get to Rome to Orvieto by train?    This was for me not the OP.

• Like 1