Menu

Packing for seven months in Europe

Ginevra

Help me out, friends. You were so much help when I was visiting dd in France. She is heading back for seven months to teach. But how to pack? 

Dd will be in northern France through the winter and suggestions are welcome. She isn’t sure about coats and shoes in particular. She has a long, wool coat, which is great for warmth and professionalism, but that takes up a lot of space. She will probably bring her parka because it’s the most versatile and she wants to be able to be in the outdoor setting. 

Other clothing and shoes suggestions welcome!!

Your dd is probably teaching through the same program that my dd taught through, which I believe is the only program the Ministry of Education there uses. My dd brought one of those down jackets that packs down small.  She had a wool sweater that she could wear under it on cold days while waiting for the bus or train.  Those down jackets that pack small come in a size that covers the hips, which was particularly nice.  A hat and mittens and scarf came in handy from time to time.

• Like 2

My dd's currently in Germany for 6 months.  She packed just regular stuff.  She did not pack a winter coat; her parka from last year was on its last legs, so she'd either have to buy on here or there; they have lovely clothes there, so she'll buy one there when it gets cold (and likely wear it on the plane on the way back).  She brought just one (large) checked suitcase; she is planning that she will have to check a second bag coming back.

Styles are also a bit different.  For one thing, especially in France I'd think, people tend to be a bit dressier than here. It would likely behoove her not to overpack, see what people are wearing, and plan on buying some things she likes there.  When I lived in Europe, I enjoyed not sticking out as an obvious American... :wink:  

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 9

56 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

When is she leaving?  Could she just wear the coat on board?  

What kind of luggage is she bringing?  

Honestly I wouldn't bring a lot.  She can shop and while she is there for things that she needs.   I assume that she is going to be able to do laundry once a week.  

She lives mid-September. She would rather not have to pack a coat, but a coat warm enough for winter there is going to be awfully hot for September here. 

I’m not completely sure what luggage she will use; there are several different pieces she could use, but she will need for it to be manageable alone when she arrives and when she leaves. So, I guess, not too much stuff and not such big/heavy/a multitude of luggage that she will be in bad shape to get to her domicile. 

I would take very little. French have fewer clothes than Americans. No one will find it odd if she wears the same things time and again. She can change them up with accessories. She can carry her coat onto the plane. So I would recommend a bare minimum capsule wardrobe - maybe a pantsuit that can be worn as separates, a mini skirt that can be worn with the jacket, a cashmere turtleneck that can be worn with the pants, etc.  A LBD that can be dressed up or down. For shoes I would take something like a pair of Docs (low) boots or Chelsea boots - also can be dressed up or down. A pair of sneakers.  She can buy things when she is there, and for not too much if she shops at second-hand shops, where one can often find chic discards from previous seasons. And there's always Zara, H&M, and Monop' (ok, that last in a real pinch 😉) for inexpensive fashion. 

ETA  I wouldn't take more than a carry-on or a small suitcase at the most. But I find it liberating to have few wardrobe choices and I hate checking bags. Even for several month long trips.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

My dd's currently in Germany for 6 months.  She packed just regular stuff.  She did not pack a winter coat; her parka from last year was on its last legs, so she'd either have to buy on here or there; they have lovely clothes there, so she'll buy one there when it gets cold (and likely wear it on the plane on the way back).  She brought just one (large) checked suitcase; she is planning that she will have to check a second bag coming back.

Styles are also a bit different.  For one thing, especially in France I'd think, people tend to be a bit dressier than here. It would likely behoove her not to overpack, see what people are wearing, and plan on buying some things she likes there.  When I lived in Europe, I enjoyed not sticking out as an obvious American... :wink:  

Definitely true. And, since she is teaching, she needs to look professional. But some of those clothes are possibly not just what she will wear when she’s not teaching. 

When she was there before, she bought a warm, flannel-lined denim jacket at a thrift store because she was freezing. 🙂 She did like that because it’s a souvenir as well as a need! She also bought a beautiful thick scarf for both warmth and style. 

Remember she can essentially carry her coat on to the plane either over her arm or wear it for a few minutes so it doesn’t have to be packed.  I normally pack in groups of three for each category......so three trousers etc.  that allows you to be wearing one pair, to have a dirty/unwashed pair, and a pair washed and drying.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of scarves, tights, and ankle boots that have a thicker sole that can work for work or casual. Pick a color scheme like black or grey with white. Everything goes together. Sweaters for layering. It's not Paris so she doesn't have to be too dressy. Young people shop at Pull & Bear or H&M. 

• Like 3

Yes! The winter drying time for clothing really affected my wardrobe—especially as our apartment complex turned off the heat at midnight. You had to wash early so that you could utilize the heater otherwise things like denim took two days to dry.

I would have her save and purchase a pair of wool tights there. The quality here is poor. It’s an investment, but totally lovely when the wind is blowing and you are waiting on a bus or train.

• Like 1

When Dd was abroad she took one suitcase and came home w two. It was part of her experience to buy some clothes there- she still wears some now, five years later.  And she really just didn’t know what she’d really need there. (This was Japan so totally different culture than France, though)

Are you planning to go over during her stay? If so maybe you could bring some things to swap out for stuff she’s tired of wearing. 

Are you vacillating between being excited for her and not wanting to let her go??? 

See if your daughter can find out about laundry facilities.  Dryers were cost prohibitive to use in NZ (where my daughter did a semester abroad) and are rare in South Korea where my daughter is currently working.  My daughter has a new found attachment to clothes made with modal which dry soft rather than stiff when not using a dryer.

You might also consider some long underwear for your daughter.  I'd suggest silk which is very lightweight.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1