Menu

Can I “borrow” your kids? -5th grade, ish?

Dmmetler

I am doing a class on differentiated instruction in math to keep my PS license active, and I need a group of kids to write lesson plans/goals for. My lesson is on fractions (Common Core 5.NF.3-fractions as division problems and using division to solve word problems with fractional answers).  I want a real range of what would be technically considered 5th grade, as far as skills. I’m supposed to come up with activities for three levels of students, and while I can go by the textbook idea of what high, medium, and low looks like, I’d rather target to actual kids. 

I’m more than willing to share anything I create as far as activities, etc, if anyone wants them. 

• Like 1

I've got a spot-on-normal-in-math fifth grader. She has amazing EF skills but shuts down completely when frustrated. 

I had her tested twice this past year because my older kids are advanced in math and I thought she was behind, but both testers said she was exactly at the expected level for her age.

My rising 5th grader recoiled in horror when I asked if she would voluntarily participate in something extra related to math. 🤣 

My rising 2nd grader is in BA 5A, but I'm not sure if age is important for what you need. If you can use her, she'll be happy to participate.

My ds, rising 5th, is now mainstreamed for his IEP but has goals for math, reading, writing. He will require assistance to understand the language of the math word problems. Division will be formative for him because he's still learning his multiplication. He will probably understand it conceptually if you use manipulatives and put it into real life scenarios. 

He would probably be one of the lower/lowest kids in your class for that lesson. I don't know whether they'd leave him in and have that instruction plus the pullouts, like they say they would do for reading (using both types of instruction to get the time higher) or whether he'd receive all his math out of the classroom.

Edited by PeterPan

Thank you! They won’t actually have to do anything, unless you want to use the materials at home-I will put them up on a google drive link. 

What I would need (via PM) is a name you want your child called (can be a nickname or something completely made up, just a consistent identifier), anything you can share about how they learn math (as many of you already have), do they work well alone or in a group, do they respond well to online programs, and any specific concerns. 

I really want to include the full range, including subject accelerated, older below grade level, great at the subject but needs a completely different presentation due to special needs, etc. I’m using some of my math club kids, too. 

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

My ds, rising 5th, is now mainstreamed for his IEP but has goals for math, reading, writing. He will require assistance to understand the language of the math word problems. Division will be formative for him because he's still learning his multiplication. He will probably understand it conceptually if you use manipulatives and put it into real life scenarios. 

He would probably be one of the lower/lowest kids in your class for that lesson. I don't know whether they'd leave him in and have that instruction plus the pullouts, like they say they would do for reading (using both types of instruction to get the time higher) or whether he'd receive all his math out of the classroom.

My experience is that unless the student is full time special Ed or close to it, the pullout happens when it happens, and there is a good chance that the teacher would still have to have something for him to do during class time,  because his actual math instruction happens during half of PE and part of Science on Monday and Wedsnesdat, and part of lunch and reading on Thursday....