Menu

Veronica Mars - I'm sad. (spoilers)

Noreen Claire

I rewatched the original series, the movie, and reread the two Veronica novels before I started the new season yesterday. Just finished the last episode.

The ending. Ugh. I'm so sad. 😭😭😭 Damnit, why did they have to do that? Gah!

*sigh* 😞

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

Just now, Noreen Claire said:

Without spoiling anything, I will say that I'm annoyed that they kept the old office, which they had moved from in the novels. Are the books not cannon? Or, was it just too small a thing to care about?

I think the books are sort of a separate entity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh and I just started watching the first season.  So far we really like it, but it sounds like the ending may ruin everything?  I hate it when that happens. 

It doesn't ruin *everything*, and I'm sure he did it to move her character in some other direction he's thinking about for the future, but it was damn painful.

• Like 2

******SPOILER AHEAD****** Scroll down at your own risk

I never liked Logan and never liked the two of them together, so I was sad for Veronica but not overall sad at the loss of that character.

I read that they want the show to become more of a detective type show. They needed to get the last of the 90210 soap opera-ness out of the picture. Logan and Veronica getting together was supposed to be an ending, a resolution. If the show continues they couldn't have the resolution in the middle. One article said you can't have a detective with a boyfriend or girlfriend issue. As someone who watches A LOT of detective shows, I know that's not true at all. 

Oh, here. It was Rob Thomas, the show's creator. Again, I disagree. A lot of successful detective (either private or police) have a significant other in the story line. The first  article also talks about crowdfunding in general and what it could mean for the future of tv shows. If you contribute do you have a right to expect the story to go your way? Personally I think no but fan input is already making a difference in shows that aren't crowdfunded, as seen in Stranger Things. Korean dramas do this all the time. Are U.S. shows going in that direction? Is streaming part of the reason or does it not matter? The second and third articles are interviews with Thomas.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/23/744126181/the-crowd-fundeth-and-the-crowd-taketh-away-the-veronica-mars-problem

https://www.tvguide.com/news/veronica-mars-logan-echolls-dead/

https://hollywoodlife.com/2019/07/22/veronica-mars-finale-logan-death-explained-season-5-interview/

He continued: “If we tried to keep sort of the high school soap opera, which was half the show when we began, I don’t think the show will have legs. I don’t know that we’ll get to keep doing them because it starts to become nostalgic and that’s not what we wanted. I mean, it’s sort of what I wanted in the movie, but it’s not what I want to do if we’re going forward with more mini-series of Veronica Mars. We think it needs to be a straight detective show and there just aren’t many noir detective shows where the detective has a boyfriend or a girlfriend. I felt like we needed to have Veronica almost on her own moving forward.

I'm not at all in the demoraphic for the original show but I enjoyed it anyway.  I enjoyed the movie, and this new reboot. I'm sure I'll watch if it gets a season 5. I think I just enjoy Kristin Bell so much I'll watch just about anything she's in. No, I don't think she's an amazing actress but she has a wonderful screen presence that she's enjoyable to watch in almost any role. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Without spoiling anything, I will say that I'm annoyed that they kept the old office, which they had moved from in the novels. Are the books not cannon? Or, was it just too small a thing to care about?

3 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I think the books are sort of a separate entity.

I read somewhere that they are “90% cannon.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I never liked Logan and never liked the two of them together, so I was sad for Veronica but not overall sad at the loss of that character.

I've adored Logan since his mother died. He was the only one with the wit and sarcasm to match Veronica's.

Duncan was... spoiled and childish. Piz was nice, but too plain. Leo is *yummy*, but too easy. Logan was perfect for Veronica, IMO. At least the didn't have her break his heart. Again.

• Like 2

I was totally upset about it. It seemed like a deliberate move to say, "You like Veronica Mars? Well, now we're starting  over." 

I don't buy the excuse about a noir detective not having a significant other either. Logan's secret missions and disappearing for months at a time seemed like the perfect way for V and L to stay together, but not necessarily have to always have Logan  involved, so Veronica could be the solo noir detective most of the time.

I wonder if the actor who plays Logan didn't want to do it anymore and this was his out, a la Harrison Ford in the Star Wars franchise.

• Like 3

I was shocked, but I found it fitting.  I didn’t particularly like her thriving on romantic turmoil, and it definitely didn’t match his transition to stability.  Veronica Mars on maternity leave? Was never gonna happen.  But having them split up again would have been ridiculous. Problem solved.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Chelli said:

I wonder if the actor who plays Logan didn't want to do it anymore and this was his out, a la Harrison Ford in the Star Wars franchise.

I saw a video clip of him apologizing to fans, saying that he was as upset as everyone else but he understood the need for Logan to go. 

I thought he had the best character development and story arc of anyone on the show. Was definitely a contrast to Veronica, who hasn't seemed to grow/mature much at all. And I like her!

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

Just now, Noreen Claire said:

I saw a video clip of him apologizing fans, saying that he was as upset as everyone else but he understood the need for Logan to go. 

I thought he had the best character development and story arc of anyone on the show. Was definitely a contrast to Veronica, who hasn't seemed to grow/mature much at all. And I like her!

I agree. Out of any character on the show, he was by far the most interesting because of his character development and how he pushed Veronica out of her comfort zone. I feel like the series will fall flat or just become another detective procedural without another character coming on the scene and taking that role in the show. 

• Like 1