Menu

new cell phone reqs

EmilyGF

Time has come to replace my Samsung Galaxy S5. I'd like a new phone that won't be obsolete immediately (!), that doesn't break the bank, and that has a reasonable camera. Mainly I used my phone for taking pictures and for tracking what I eat, but the apps open so slowly now that the moment is gone before I can even get the camera started.

Do you have a phone you love?

Emily

• Like 2

My Galaxy S5 is in a similar state. Why do they get so slow? I have almost no Apps on this thing. I mostly browse the Internet (mostly here) and use Overdrive. I'll listen in!

Dh suggested I try to trade it in, but it's so old, it isn't even on the list anymore. ..

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

My Galaxy S5 is in a similar state. Why do they get so slow? I have almost no Apps on this thing. I mostly browse the Internet (mostly here) and use Overdrive. I'll listen in!

Dh suggested I try to trade it in, but it's so old, it isn't even on the list anymore. ..

Maybe I should try wiping the phone and reformatting the drive, but it is SO bad. I used it with WW to lose weight, but I don't track anymore because the app takes minutes to open. I timed it to see if I was exaggerating... I wasn't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Maybe I should try wiping the phone and reformatting the drive, but it is SO bad. I used it with WW to lose weight, but I don't track anymore because the app takes minutes to open. I timed it to see if I was exaggerating... I wasn't.

Yeah, dh suggested the wiping too. I just bought a fitbit,  and that's part of what's making me think I should just get a new phone. I haven't set it up yet cause I'm thinking the app will be a dog on this phone... yes, this occurred to me after I ordered my new toy... 😒 

• Like 1

The Moto G series has consistently been rated the best lower-end phone for the last few years. DS has a Moto G5 Plus that he loves — he's even refused to let his dad replace it with a new iPhone. The 2019 model is the G7, which is $300 and has gotten great reviews. There are two slightly cheaper versions, the G7 Power ($250) and the G7 Play ($200), but they only have a single camera, a lower-quality screen, and less storage. 

• Like 4

If the Camera is THE priority, this probably will not work for the OP, but "bang for the buck" this is the phone I suggested that my DD buy, when the Moto G4 she will take with her to the USA next month dies. The Battery in this phone has 5000 mAh capacity.  In an emergency, that very large battery capacity could be a lifesaver.  The last time I looked on the MotorolaUSA web site (motorola.com) it was $229 USD, but when I clicked it was $20 USD higher before I posted this.  Possibly discount codes are available? Here's the link about the Moto G7 Power:  https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-power-gen-7#buy

Regarding slowness.  That could have to do with a lack of RAM (Memory).  That could also have to do, with some models (Apple?) where as I recall they intentionally slowed down the performance as the batteries were getting weaker?

Going back to RAM (Memory) and the speed of applications loading or the lack of speed. I don't know if this applies to all current Motorola Moto phones, but it applies to my very low-end model (with a 4000 mAh battery capacity) and I think to the Moto G4 my DD has and quite possibly to other Moto phones in our house.

When you install a microSD card in them, there are two (2) ways it can be configured.   One way is to configure it so the MicroSD can be removed from the phone and put into another device and the contents can be read or copied in the other device.

The other way, which I did with my phone when I got it at the end of September, is to have the MicroSD card Encrypted so it only works in  that particular phone. It serves as an extension of the RAM (Memory).  So, you end up with a big pool of RAM (Memory) although if it is running off of the MicroSD card, it will be slower.

I have 54 (?) Apps installed on my phone, many of them factory installed on my Unbranded and Unlocked phone, but many that I have installed. The only one of those Apps that seems always slow to Launch is the Speedtest App so I suspect that may be do to that particular App not being fast to Launch?

Since getting this phone, I've never seen a Low Memory warning or the phone crashing because of lack of RAM.

Motorola Moto phones apparently have a very "clean" version of the Android OS (Operating System). Many manufacturers make a lot of changes to Android and add a lot of their pet Apps on their phones. 

If you want to stick with Samsung, dh has a J7 and likes it. The camera is not amazing but takes nice pictures. My cousin had one and called it a "Junk 7" but dh hasn't had any issues with his. It's affordable at just over $200. There are a few things it can't handle (we haven't been able to use it to cast to tv) but for the most part it sounds like it will fit your requirements.

Ds and I each have the Galaxy S10 and we love it, but it isn't cheap. We have AT&T Next so we pay a reasonable monthly payment for it. If you're wanting to buy a phone outright, the J7 is a good choice.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if I did reset the phone to Factory Defaults - 

- Would it run faster again?

- Would my app data (and I only have like 5 apps) still be there when I re-installed them?  I'm guessing yes, since that would be the same as if I installed them on a new phone, no?

On the camera: 

My dd18 spent $$$ on a new S10, and my heavens, that camera is amazing.  I have camera envy, but I'm not spending that much!  

• Like 1

If you do a Factory Reset it might possibly run faster.

If you do a Factory Reset it will  wipe out everything you have installed and any Data you have on the phone and all of your settings. That should restore it to the way it was when it left the factory.

Before you do a Factory Reset, Backup anything you need to a MicroSD card.

Remove the SIM card and the MicroSD card before doing a Factory Reset.

7 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I think I'm leaning to a Moto G-something. I don't need to go dirt cheap, and that's the line of phones my hubby has. The reviews liking it make it look good! 

All of the phones in our house are Motorola Moto phones. Some of them are "G" models.  My DD will take her G4 when she goes to university in the USA next month. I believe it will work on 3 of the 4G LTE Bands used by AT&T or T-Mobile there. I suggested to her that after it dies that she buy a Motorola Moto G7 Power.

One could do far worse, than to purchase a Motorola Moto G.  I like the G7 Power, because of the combination of the enormous battery capacity and technology that does not place an enormous load on the battery. I think I linked to the Motorola.com page for that model upthread.

Motorola phones have a reputation for being "a lot of bang for the buck". They also have a reputation for having a version of the Android OS that is close to "stock" Android. Easy to navigate. They connect well to the towers.  About 5 years ago, I asked our neighbor (an Electronic Engineer who has worked for a Cell Phone Network for about 25 years) which phones connect best to their towers. He told me Motorola or Samsung.  He told me usually he buys Motorola phones but occasionally he will buy a Samsung.  The last phone I knew he  bought (about 2 years ago?) was a Motorola Moto phone.

Physical size of phones: For a woman, a large phone like a Moto G with a big display isn't an issue, because women carry Purses. The Moto G4 my DD has has a 5.5" Display. It is huge compared to my Moto phone with a 5" display.  The newer G7 models have larger (6.2" ?) Displays.   I carry my phone in a pocket in my pants and one of the huge models wouldn't fit into my Jeans...

I have a Moto g7 that I really like that I bought after a Samsung 7.

I'd give it a solid B+.

My only cons:
+ Can't buy a great case for it. I don't mind spending 70$ on a super strong case, but you can only get cheap cases. I'm concerned if I drop it (or rather, when) it won't be as protected as my usual OtterBox, but we'll see. I bought the strongest case I could on Amazon and a good screen protector so it should be good.
+No wifi calling/texts without using an app like Hangouts. It's only annoying overseas when I can't get texts, but otherwise I don't care.
+No NFC so no Google Pay. Again, I only use it overseas but it's annoying not to have it (it was always my back up in case my wallet was stolen). 

Otherwise I like it and it is basically exactly like my old Samsung 7 (with expandable memory, etc). For $240 it is well worth the trade offs for me. If you want great battery life, check out the 7 plus. I don't know the trade offs but it does have a mega battery. 

That's really weird @FriedClams I literally activated two G7 Powers yesterday (thank you Prime Day) and got them both otterbox defenders on Amazon. They did only have black. Have you tried direct from Otter? They have a lot on the website that isnt always available in the stores. 

I got G7 Powers for my kids. If I was looking for camera I would have gone with the regular G7 but the boys need battery life more. 

I'd also look into the Pixel. 

I have a Note 8, Dh is running an iPhone XS... 

40 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

That's really weird @FriedClams I literally activated two G7 Powers yesterday (thank you Prime Day) and got them both otterbox defenders on Amazon. They did only have black. Have you tried direct from Otter? They have a lot on the website that isnt always available in the stores. 

I got G7 Powers for my kids. If I was looking for camera I would have gone with the regular G7 but the boys need battery life more. 

I'd also look into the Pixel. 

I have a Note 8, Dh is running an iPhone XS... 

I think I must be search deficient! LOL 

I looked for Moto g7 otterbox and nothing but knock off cases.  There's an LG g7 ThinQ otterbox, but I think that's for a different phone.  Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks a million!!

4 hours ago, FriedClams said:

I have a Moto g7 that I really like that I bought after a Samsung 7.

I'd give it a solid B+.

My only cons:
+ Can't buy a great case for it. I don't mind spending 70$ on a super strong case, but you can only get cheap cases. I'm concerned if I drop it (or rather, when) it won't be as protected as my usual OtterBox, but we'll see. I bought the strongest case I could on Amazon and a good screen protector so it should be good.
+No wifi calling/texts without using an app like Hangouts. It's only annoying overseas when I can't get texts, but otherwise I don't care.
+No NFC so no Google Pay. Again, I only use it overseas but it's annoying not to have it (it was always my back up in case my wallet was stolen). 

Wait, what does this mean?  Dd has a Moto and is currently living in Germany, and she uses wifi calling/texts with WhatsApp, Skype and Facebook with no problem...  How would one get calls/texts overseas with Wifi without using an app? (or paying for an international plan, but that would be for regular calls/SMS texts, not Wifi)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Wait, what does this mean?  Dd has a Moto and is currently living in Germany, and she uses wifi calling/texts with WhatsApp, Skype and Facebook with no problem...  How would one get calls/texts overseas with Wifi without using an app? (or paying for an international plan, but that would be for regular calls/SMS texts, not Wifi)

Here in South America, we use  WhatsApp extensively, as do most people in the world, with the exception of the people in the USA.. WhatsApp is an App, and the response you quoted mentioned she couldn't do that without using an App.  I ran into the idea of WiFi Calling recently, when I was researching carriers for my DD to use when she goes to the USA next month.  This seems to be dependent upon the combination of the Carrier and also to require a phone that's designed for that.  I forget what the supposed advantage to WiFi calling is.  There are plenty of providers in the USA, MVNOs and the big 4, who would be happy to have their customers connecting over WiFi and not using 4G LTE Data.  To me, the "advantage" to that  might come if/when the connection with the cell phone tower is marginal, but one is in a location with very solid WiFi, such as we have in our house.  There are many plans in the USA where the customer is required to use WiFi for phone calls, if it is available. They only connect to the network they run on, if there's no WiFi available.  I do not have a good grasp on this concept at the moment and our phones don't have that and it isn't a priority for the service my DD will have (ability to have a "Hot Spot", calling Internationally from the USA for Free, etc.) which are much more important than WiFi calling.  It's something new and possibly something to investigate.

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

Here in South America, we use  WhatsApp extensively, as do most people in the world, with the exception of the people in the USA.. WhatsApp is an App, and the response you quoted mentioned she couldn't do that without using an App.  I ran into the idea of WiFi Calling recently, when I was researching carriers for my DD to use when she goes to the USA next month.  This seems to be dependent upon the combination of the Carrier and also to require a phone that's designed for that.  I forget what the supposed advantage to WiFi calling is.  There are plenty of providers in the USA, MVNOs and the big 4, who would be happy to have their customers connecting over WiFi and not using 4G LTE Data.  To me, the "advantage" to that  might come if/when the connection with the cell phone tower is marginal, but one is in a location with very solid WiFi, such as we have in our house.  There are many plans in the USA where the customer is required to use WiFi for phone calls, if it is available. They only connect to the network they run on, if there's no WiFi available.  I do not have a good grasp on this concept at the moment and our phones don't have that and it isn't a priority for the service my DD will have (ability to have a "Hot Spot", calling Internationally from the USA for Free, etc.) which are much more important than WiFi calling.  It's something new and possibly something to investigate.

This is exactly to the issue. With Hangouts (an app, like WhatsApp) I can use wifi and call other Hangouts accounts. I can also pay to call other non-Hangouts numbers. My ONLY incoming calls/texts are from Hangouts. So, my family can reach me using Hangouts, but otherwise I'm in a cone of silence. 

With my old Samsung phone, if I didn't have coverage it would switch to receive and make calls on WiFi. So, anyone could call or text me as long as I had WiFi. I travel a lot internationally, so that was really helpful. Not critical, but nice. My father in law has bad cell coverage at his summer house, so his phone just switches over to WiFi automatically and he never notices. The Moto g7 wouldn't work for him since it won't do that (wifi call without a third party app). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FriedClams said:

This is exactly to the issue. With Hangouts (an app, like WhatsApp) I can use wifi and call other Hangouts accounts. I can also pay to call other non-Hangouts numbers. My ONLY incoming calls/texts are from Hangouts. So, my family can reach me using Hangouts, but otherwise I'm in a cone of silence. 

With my old Samsung phone, if I didn't have coverage it would switch to receive and make calls on WiFi. So, anyone could call or text me as long as I had WiFi. I travel a lot internationally, so that was really helpful. Not critical, but nice. My father in law has bad cell coverage at his summer house, so his phone just switches over to WiFi automatically and he never notices. The Moto g7 wouldn't work for him since it won't do that (wifi call without a third party app). 

Well, I had no idea a Samsung phone could do that (switch to Wifi for calling or SMS text when out of network), and I do have a Samsung phone (maybe it's too old to have that feature??). When I've gone abroad, I've just made sure everyone I needed to contact had WhatsApp or Skype installed...  And I had a backup international plan that would let you do unlimited int'l calling and text for $10 in a 24 hour period (tried not to use it, but cheaper than other options if no Wifi was around and really needed to call/text).  Actually, dd just got a German Sim card and plan, now that she's there 6 months, but for vacations that isn't necessarily needed (though I did do get a UK Sim card once in the UK for just a week there when I needed to make some UK calls).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

Oh, I know all about WiFi calling with an App, it was without an App that made me go *huh?*   I'm thinking my ancient S5 just doesn't have that feature...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Oh, I know all about WiFi calling with an App, it was without an App that made me go *huh?*   I'm thinking my ancient S5 just doesn't have that feature...

I suspect that your S5 and our Moto phones do not have that. My belief is that at this time the cell phones with that capability are few and far between. Probably with time they will become more common.   It also depends on which Carrier someone is with so possibly better to buy a phone from the carrier, as in "the olden days".

1 hour ago, FriedClams said:

Hangouts sounds nice,  because you can pay to call non-Hangouts numbers. I am not sure one can do that with WhatsApp. I don't think so.  I have a Skype account but haven't used it in years. I think you can do that with Skype to call non-Skype numbers.

Oh, if you buy a magicJack, they allow one person to use the magicJack phone number on their cell phone. It is called the magicApp.   With that, if there is WiFi, you can call to any phone numbers in the USA (and I think also to Canada and PR and USVI?)  Excellent quality. The magicJack we bought for DD 4 or 5 months ago on eBay was about $37 (?) including shipping in the USA and includes one year of service.  Phone numbers in the USA would be able to call your magicJack phone number as long as you have WiFi available where you are.

One of my childhood friends had his "landline" phone number at home "ported" to magicJack years ago. He takes it with him when he travels,  domestically or internationally. All it takes is a tiny phone and his magicJack. 

SMS Text messages to/from U.S. numbers (and also Canada?) are  Free with the magicJack