Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW29: Ode to Hope

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week twenty-nine in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews. 

Sunrise%2Bdawn.jpg

Ode to Hope

by

Pablo Neruda

Oceanic dawn
at the center
of my life,
waves like grapes,
the sky's solitude,
you fill me
and flood
the complete sea,
the undiminished sky,
tempo
and space,
sea foam's white
battalions,
the orange earth,
the sun's
fiery waist
in agony,
so many
gifts and talents,
birds soaring into their dreams,
and the sea, the sea,
suspended
aroma,
chorus of rich, resonant salt,
and meanwhile,
we men,
touch the water,
struggling,
and hoping,
we touch the sea,
hoping.

And the waves tell the firm coast:
'Everything will be fulfilled.'

Hey, lots of imagery about nature, which is actually a 52 books bingo category.   Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.   😘

What are you reading?

Link to week 28

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 9

Sigh! I finished my marathon read of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and Legacy series.   The legacy spin off continues the story in between the main series so glad I finally read all of in chronological order.   I'm in lurve with all the characters and looking forward to the next two books which are coming out: Blood Truth: Black Dagger Legacy in August and Winter Finds You (brotherhood) in November.   Think I need to read a nonfiction book next to reset my brain.  

• Like 8

Last night I finished Nora Roberts' newest book which I enjoyed (even if I did figure out the villain well before the end).

Under Currents: A Novel by Nora Roberts

"For both Zane and Darby, their small town roots hold a terrible secret. Now, decades later, they've come together to build a new life. But will the past set them free or pull them under?

Zane Bigelow grew up in a beautiful, perfectly kept house in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains. Strangers and even Zane’s own aunt across the lake see his parents as a successful surgeon and his stylish wife, making appearances at their children’s ballet recitals and baseball games. Only Zane and his sister know the truth, until one brutal night finally reveals cracks in the facade, and Zane escapes for college without a thought of looking back...

Years later, Zane returns to his hometown determined to reconnect with the place and people that mean so much to him, despite the painful memories. As he resumes life in the colorful town, he meets a gifted landscape artist named Darby, who is on the run from ghosts of her own.

Together they will have to teach each other what it means to face the past, and stand up for the ones they love. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Some bookish posts ~

Powell's Midyear Roundup: The Best Books of 2019 So Far

https://www.powells.com/post/lists/powells-midyear-roundup-the-best-books-of-2019-so-far

5 Sweltering Southern Gothic Horror Novels for the Heat of Summer

https://www.tor.com/2019/07/08/5-sweltering-southern-gothic-horror-novels-for-the-heat-of-summer/

Tor.com Reviewers’ Choice: The Best Books of 2019—So Far

https://www.tor.com/2019/07/09/tor-com-reviewers-choice-the-best-books-of-2019-so-far/

17 Factual and Fictional Stories About Space Exploration

https://www.tor.com/2019/07/11/17-factual-and-fictional-stories-about-space-exploration/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I read Life in the Sloth Lane: Slow Down and Smell the Hibiscus - 5 Stars - This is such a delightful coffee-table type book and would make a lovely gift. It’s filled with adorable sloth pictures and uplifting quotes throughout. Here's my Good Reads review with a few sample pages included. 

The Great Santini - 4 Stars - I’d never paid any attention to Pat Conroy until a few years ago when I read one of my favorite books of all time “Gone with the Wind”. Conroy wrote the beautiful introduction to that book. My rule with classics, not that I read them as often as I probably should, is to read the introduction after completing the book. Once I finished “Gone with the Wind” and then read Conroy’s introduction, I knew that this would be an author that I would like. In that introduction, he describes his mother reading him “Gone with the Wind” from a very early age. I believe that he was five years or old so, something like that. His mother, a true Southerner, sounded so much, like the mother in “The Great Santini”. This is one of my favorite excerpts from “The Great Santini”, a letter from the mother to her son, Ben, on his birthday:

“’My dear son, my dear Ben, my dear friend who becomes a man today, I want to tell you something’” the letter began. ‘You are my eldest child, the child I have known the longest, the child I have held the longest. I wanted to write you a letter about being a man and what it means to be a man in the fullest sense. I wanted to tell you that gentleness is the quality I have admired the most in men, but then I remembered how gentle you were. So I decided to write something else. I want you to always follow your noblest instincts. I want you to be a force for right and good. I want you to always defend the weak as I have taught you to do. I want you to always be brave and know that whatever you do or wherever you go, you walk with my blessings and my love. Keep your faith in God, your humility, and your sense of humor. Decide what you want from life then let nothing deter you from getting it. I have had many regrets in my life and many sadnesses but I will never regret the night you were born. I thought I knew about love and the boundaries of love until I raised you these past eighteen years. I knew nothing about love. That has been your gift to me. Happy Birthday. Mama.’”

Pat Conroy has a way with storytelling, and this was a powerful read. This book is based on his own life growing up in a military family, with an abusive father. Although there were many painful and difficult scenes, the story dragged a bit in some parts. It was an amazing book, but I didn’t love it as much as others that I have read by him.

A quote that liked:

“Because I saw myself as pretty, I became pretty. If you think you are ugly, you will be ugly, mark my words. I even think depression is caused by thinking about things that depress you. I feel that if you think positively, things will turn out for the better. It’s also a matter of good taste to talk about only happy things.”

“Have you taught me to have good taste, Mama? Is that another trick of the trade I haven’t learned?” Mary Anne said.

“Good taste is not something you can be taught. It’s not something you obtain in a store or go to college to learn. You either have it or you don’t. It is passed down from generation to generation in a straight line, but not everybody in a family gets it. It’s like high cheekbones. Your father will never have good taste and I will never be without it. You could drain every drop of blood from my body and what was left would include my innate good taste.”

Here's my Good Reads review with photos

9780761193227.jpg     9780937036006.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 7

The best way to describe my reading for the past week is that I have been working rather diligently to read several urban fantasy’s that all came off of hold’s rather unexpectedly about 3 weeks ago.........fortunately the majority of them can be used to spell Rabbi David Small.  I am getting close.😉

One of my most anticipated books so far this year was Storm of Locustshttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37920490-storm-of-locusts?ac=1&from_search=true as I really loved the first book in this new Urban Fantasy series.  The second left me disappointed,  I found a bit of a slog and ended up giving it three stars.  The first book struck me as fresh and rather creative this one not so much.

Magic Shifts https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333171-magic-shifts is the eighth book in Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels series which I have been meandering through for about 3 years.  I just realized these books need to be read much more closely together to have them be page turners.  This one was great because I fell into their world quickly because I read number 7 last month.  You guessed it,  I will try and read the next one soon.

Arm of the Sphinx https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959733-arm-of-the-sphinx and Patricia Brigg’s Burn Bright on audio were my other books for the week.  Both were good but not great.

I am currently relaxing with The UnHoneymooners https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42201431-the-unhoneymooners?ac=1&from_search=true which Kareni has already read.  Best described as fun modern romance with adult situations.  Because the couple in this book go on their sibling’s non returnable all expenses paid honeymoon in the modern world I keep wondering if it could seriously happen in today’s world.  They bought new airline tickets........but I have spent significant time thinking if this switch could actually work.....😂

I am listening to  Diana Valere’s Mad for Mod cozieshttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34503995-the-decorator-who-knew-too-much for a V in the spelling challenge.  If you are a fan of Doris Day and retro these books are potentially fun.  I enjoy them but haven’t listened much the last couple of days as I slipped and landed hard.  A certain part of my body much prefers reclining when I can.  Not injured but bruised.....it I lay down and listen I sleep.

Planning to start The Rabbi who Slept Late https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39349875-friday-the-rabbi-slept-late later tonight. Looking forward to it.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 9

I know a couple of you have already read the recent Anthony Horowitz mystery, The Sentence is Murder. I both liked it and disliked it. I liked the mystery, liked several of the characters (the poet was a delightfully unlikable character!) But I found Anthony Horowitz's character (he wrote himself in as a Watson to the detective) to be unnecessarily and annoyingly stupid, far more clueless than a successful mystery author should be. 

I'm finally joining the bandwagon and have started on the Expanse series with the first one,  Leviathan Wakes. It certainly draws you right in, doesn't it?! I'm listening to it and can tell it will be the perfect book for long drives. I have not watched the tv adaptation, but will wait to do so til after getting a few of the books read. 

• Like 7

@Robin M  hope laying down the tracks for the album went well!

@mumto2 May listening to Rabbi Smalls "Friday" keep you entertained while your body heals (ouch indeed, @Kareni)     

To books....

Completed:  

• Luck and Judgement: DC Smith Bk 3 ~ Peter Grainger, narrated by Gildart Jackson (4)   Mature content.  This Police Procedural  surrounds members of a “Married Singles, Swap-sey Club”,  what a perfect setting to generate a murder.  As intended, Grainger ensures the reader, me, feels sorry for the young wife and child.  I liked Serena in later books so it was good to hear about her back story here.
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax, Bk2 ~ Dorothy Gilman, narrated by Babara Rosenblat  (repeat listen)  (4)  I enjoyed my relisten through this audiobook.  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2890273286    
  • I snuck Alliance: A Linesman Bk2 ~ S. K. Dunstall, narrated by Brian Hutchison   (4-) in as a "busy hands" listen .  (Any excuse would have done, I wanted to listen to some more about Linesman)   The story as a whole was good, just not quite as good overall as the first book, Linesman.  I’ve downloaded book three to listen to, next month  … after I’ve completed some other books. (So glad @Kareni recommended this series.)

Current read/listen:    I started relistening to The Unknown Ajax ~ Georgette Heyer for a Heyer book group challenge.  Hoping to finish The Problem of Pain ~ C.S.Lewis this week, some of which has made for challenging read.  I have a few titles still on sip read and am sipping away at those.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tuesdayschild said:

Alliance: A Linesman Bk2 ~ S. K. Dunstall, narrated by Brian Hutchison   (4-) ... The story as a whole was good, just not quite as good overall as the first book, Linesman.  I’ve downloaded book three to listen to, next month  … 

I'm glad you enjoyed book two, tuesdayschild, and hope you'll enjoy the third book in due time. Linesman is probably my favorite book of the series, but I like them all. 

Regards,

Karen

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I know a couple of you have already read the recent Anthony Horowitz mystery, The Sentence is Murder. I both liked it and disliked it. I liked the mystery, liked several of the characters (the poet was a delightfully unlikable character!) But I found Anthony Horowitz's character (he wrote himself in as a Watson to the detective) to be unnecessarily and annoyingly stupid, far more clueless than a successful mystery author should be. 

I'm finally joining the bandwagon and have started on the Expanse series with the first one,  Leviathan Wakes. It certainly draws you right in, doesn't it?! I'm listening to it and can tell it will be the perfect book for long drives. I have not watched the tv adaptation, but will wait to do so til after getting a few of the books read. 

I agree with you regarding Horowitz characterizing him self as far more stupid than anyone that successful should be.  I actually found him irritating while reading the first part of both books.  Somehow he makes me like him in the end.......maybe that explains his success.  I have been listening to these books which I also think makes a difference.

I am so glad you like Leviathan Wakes.  😉 I listened to most of the series too!  I have one more in the series to read before I allow myself to watch the show.  I actually downloaded the first season unto my iPad when I had access and am looking forward to it when Tiamat’s Wrath is completed!  My library recently bought more Overdrive copies and my wait is now 3 weeks....I was months away.

• Like 6

I finished Our Man in havana this week. It was good but I prefer The Quiet American (one of my all time favorites) and End of the Affair. Need some easy, pretty, British audio for the day camp shuffle, a la Brideshead Revisitied...couldn’t find any so I’m listening to this volume of poetry The Seven Ages of Man that’s really well done.

Started big little lies but I think i far prefer the TV show 😬

Started Persian Letters and a craft book called Story Genius. S-l-o-w-l-y reading “Paris, a biography” book in preparation for move there. We are finally upon the pre-Revolution. I keep stopping and googling things and yelling “DH, did you know...” he didn’t, he didn’t care. I’m going to be freaking insufferable walking around Paris this fall. 

Oh I can’t believe I forgot: I finished Lie with Me, which is classified as gay romance, which, whatever, it is, but mostly a prettily written, simple and short love story. A bit of 80s nostalgia which, the fact that it was translated from the French by Molly Ringwald makes it even better. I thought she did a good job, some of the frenchness comes through. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, madteaparty said:

S-l-o-w-l-y reading “Paris, a biography” book in preparation for move there...

This sounds exciting. Will you be moving to France for a certain length of time or indefinitely?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Hi everyone! 

His Favorite Wife: Escape from Polygamy by Susan Ray Schmidt

Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer

Cult Insanity: A Memoir of Polygamy, Prophets, and Blood Atonement by Irene Spencer

As you can see, I have been on a bit of a kick lately. The first one is the most interesting, the second is fun to compare to the first because these women were married to the same man, and the third I wouldn't recommend as I think it would only be interesting to someone who lived through the happenings in that story. 

I've also been pretty busy packing my house up to move into a larger home with several of my adult daughters. Trying to save a little money each month and my girls are fun to be around, too! 

• Like 7

On 7/15/2019 at 4:32 AM, madteaparty said:

Started Persian Letters and a craft book called Story Genius. S-l-o-w-l-y reading “Paris, a biography” book in preparation for move there. We are finally upon the pre-Revolution. I keep stopping and googling things and yelling “DH, did you know...” he didn’t, he didn’t care. I’m going to be freaking insufferable walking around Paris this fall. 

23 hours ago, Kareni said:

This sounds exciting. Will you be moving to France for a certain length of time or indefinitely?

Regards,

Kareni

Ooooh yes, please tell us all about it! I read The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough several years ago and loved it. It was a fabulous read!

4 hours ago, Pen said:

I’m reading about teaching teens to drive...

Oh, I feel for you, Pen. I've had to teach five of my teens to drive (the other five went to driving school which was pricey but worth every penny!) and I can't commiserate enough! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

I've also been pretty busy packing my house up to move into a larger home with several of my adult daughters. Trying to save a little money each month and my girls are fun to be around, too! 

Sounds like fun after you finish the move at least.  I know I enjoy having my kids around still.   I will admit to hating moving and promised myself never again..........pretty confident it’s in my future.  😉. I hope all goes smoothly and you love your new home.

I finished Friday the Rabbi Slept Late and totally loved this month’s detective.  This book was one of those mysteries that just comfortably rolls along.  Personally I would class it as a cozy and am wondering if @aggieamy has tried these.  There are definitely more of these books in my future.

I have started listening to audiobooks again and have to admit to being relieved to be able to sit without too much discomfort again.  I haven’t finished any but checked a couple more out in my enthusiasm 😂 so have a couple new ideas for @Liz CA...........The Miss Julia series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77520.Miss_Julia_Speaks_Her_Mind.  I linked book one and think it’s probably foundational to really appreciate the relationship between the main characters.  I have no idea about the narrator as my library just bought the audio version............I also discovered that the third book in the Nils Shapiro series was out.  The first book in the series whttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31702740-gone-to-dustwas one of my best books of the year a couple of years ago because I found the murder evidence to be very clever.  I listened to about half of The Shallows yesterday and am enjoying it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I finished my marathon of Georgette Heyer's murder mysteries.  All 12 of them!  I started at the end of April and had a few other books interspersed, but mostly I chugged along with Heyer.  The last one I just read wasn't actually a mystery but more of a study in the psychology of a dysfunctional family.  A lot of people don't like it because it is so different but I actually found it really good!  I blogged about it.  https://strewing.blogspot.com/2019/07/penhallow-book-29.html

I read the first book in the Little Britches series, Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody a few weeks ago.  My dh read it to the kids a long time ago.  I had heard about it forever in homeschooling circles but never read it myself.  Well, I loved it and now I plan to read that whole series.  So I am now about 1/4 of the way through the second book, Man of the Family.

I'm also trying to read all of Anthony Trollope's Chronicles of Barcetshire novels this year.  Next up is The Small House at Allington.  The thing is I listened to it on audio not that long ago and it is such a poignant story.  I get a lump in my throat just thinking about how sad it was.  So I might skip it and read the next one, whatever it is!  Can't recall right now.

For non - fiction I am stalled halfway through Resisting Throwaway by a professor of Ethics at Fordham.  I do plan to finish it!  Just as soon as I get through my insatiable novel reading mood.  I am at the beck and call of my moods.  Sometimes only novels will do, sometimes only non-fiction and sometimes I need a nice mix.  

• Like 9

Oh, I feel for you, Pen. I've had to teach five of my teens to drive (the other five went to driving school which was pricey but worth every penny!) and I can't commiserate enough! 

I signed him up for Driver Training asap—as in even as we were leaving DMV with LP in hand !  

In fact, I actually was on my smartphone registering him for professional driver training while still in DMV after passing test and while waiting for him to get picture.   

But in our area they now

require teens to have 15 hours behind the wheel practice logged before first session with professional instructor. 

they are requiring 15 hours practice behind the wheel time logged Before the first session with professional instructor! 

PS I have a thread about teaching teen to drive on learning challenges area if anyone has good ideas

Edited by Pen
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

On 7/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

Initially, a few months. But not sure if I will be able to come back, I’m not making promises 😉 

@Mothersweets, thanks so much for that book recommendation. I had been reading (in: Paris Stories, an anthology) some of Abigail Adam’s letters from her time there and they’re such a fun read, especially her gossip of Benjamin Franklin’s flirtations.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 8

On 7/17/2019 at 8:57 AM, Pen said:

they are requiring 15 hours practice behind the wheel time logged Before the first session with professional instructor! 

Wow!   That becomes a nail biting 15 hours for (some of) the parents/guardians .....

On 7/17/2019 at 4:20 AM, Mothersweets said:

I'm in awe!  Trying to teach 1 child has been a challenge - it's me, not the child; though he's not really interested in learning either, similar DC to mumto2's - the driving school is an anxiety saver, for me!

Wishing you the very best as you pack to move in with your Dds 🙏❤️

23 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Initially, a few months. But not sure if I will be able to come back, I’m not making promises 😉 

I hope you're able to photo share - no pressure to though - while you're there.  (I'm flat out enjoying the pictures Negin & mumto2 share.)

@Faithr  Well done on the Heyer reading run! (Off to check your post after this 😉 )  Even though I didn't like any of the characters, I still enjoyed Penhallow as a one off read too.

• Like 5

@Matryoshka posted an update on her 10x10 challenge, here is my progress at the moment - I keep shuffling titles between categories so that they are in no more than two:

1. Scotland (8 of 10 books)
  2. New Zealand/Australia (country or Authors) (9 of 10)
  3. Christian Fiction (7 of 10)
  4. Chunkster (5) Books with minimum of 500pgs
  5. Classics (8 of 10)
  6. Non-fiction (9 of 10) + Christian N/F (6 of 10)  (15 of 20 total)
  7. WWII (8 of 10)
  8. Israel  (4 of 5)
  9. Rinse n Repeat (14 of 20)
  10. New-to-Me Fiction Authors (15 of 20)

I would have completed Scotland this month, but decided I wanted to listen to Linesman bk 2  and A Shameful Murder: Reverend Mother Bk1 ~ Cora Harrison instead.   The later is an historical mystery set in 1920’s amidst Ireland’s civil war, which is not something I know much about so I’m appreciating the story formatted history lesson.  It took me a while to get used to Rosalyn Landor’s faux Irish accent and I think the book will remain as an average 3 stars read, unless something unexpected happens to Harrison's writing style 🙂 .      (For those that like to know extra content before they start reading - none of the following is graphic or salacious, it's just there in the story: married men as predators of teen girls,  a discussion of pregnant teens committing suicide, one pregnant teen is full of hatred for the baby she is carrying and then adopts out.  The Reverend Mother muses to herself about poverty stricken children, from starving families, being used in prostitution.)

Sounds good, @madteaparty  Keep us posted if you do decide to do that.

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Wow!   That becomes a nail biting 15 hours for (some of) the parents/guardians .....

But probably lots less stressful for the professional driving instructor !   And easier on their vehicles. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My book group reads primarily literary fiction; however, occasionally we read genre fiction or non-fiction. Tonight we meet to discuss a work of historical non-fiction.

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard

I found this a fascinating read about a person of whom I had known little.  It was an easy read (the pages kept turning), but also quite gory. I recommend it. Anyone else here read it?

"James Abram Garfield was one of the most extraordinary men ever elected president. Born into abject poverty, he rose to become a wunderkind scholar, a Civil War hero, a renowned congressman, and a reluctant presidential candidate who took on the nation's corrupt political establishment. But four months after Garfield's inauguration in 1881, he was shot in the back by a deranged office-seeker named Charles Guiteau. Garfield survived the attack, but become the object of bitter, behind-the-scenes struggles for power—over his administration, over the nation's future, and, hauntingly, over his medical care. Meticulously researched, epic in scope, and pulsating with an intimate human focus and high-velocity narrative drive, The Destiny of the Republic brings alive a forgotten chapter of U.S. history."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Last night's book group meeting for Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard was quite enjoyable. All eight of us attended, everyone liked the book, and we had a lively discussion.

Earlier this week I finished a very different book, The Do-Over by MK Schiller. There were some aspects of a main character that I didn't care for, but overall it was a pleasant read. (Significant adult content)

"Arrogant womanizer, Kyle Manchester hates blind dates but when best friend, Brad calls in a favor, insisting Kyle take out his girlfriend’s sister, Kyle reluctantly agrees. Attorney Lanie Carmichael’s appearance is no surprise. She is dowdy, awkward, and dressed in so many layers she resembles a wedding cake...and not in an edible way. Her brazen attitude though, astonishes him, especially when she explains she has no interest in gorgeous Kyle. Lanie Carmichael is in love with Brad, and wants Kyle’s assistance in winning his best friend’s heart. 

Kyle gradually accepts, justifying that the mystery of Lanie has sparked his natural, thirsty curiosity. As an ambitious journalist, he also can’t resist the Pulitzer worthy scoop she offers him. However, as Lanie sheds more layers, both emotionally and physically, Kyle begins to examine his life choices, and his true feelings for this enigmatic girl. With Kyle’s support, Lanie begins to unravel the secrets of her past, and the deep pain that has quietly defined her life. As they each learn more about themselves and each other, both question how a relationship built on fraudulent lies between two broken people could ever survive. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Hello!  I finally dove into Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore which is quite interesting.  Also reading ebook The Shape of Water which written in present tense and all the characters are really odd.  I want to watch the movie next. 

I never made it over to the music studio as I had the introvert hangover from heck.  Raquel  was live streaming the whole time so got to see everything on Twitch anyway..  She's sponsored by EA sports who is pairing with musicians so they have a video photographer documenting the whole thing as well. John went over several times as he had a hand in helping to set up the studio, so they are interviewing him along with the studio owner.     Meanwhile, James got himself in trouble on twitter and buried himself in a hole of his own making so asked me to help. Spent way too much time on millennial drama.  Personal offenses turned into a demand for a global apology to every one in the entire world.  I'm managed to talk everyone down but he and two twitter friends ended up blocking each other at the end to the drama.  *facepalm*     On the house project front,  it should be done in two weeks.  Yeah! 

Time to get back to work so will catch up with posts later. 

😘

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I dread the necessary task of getting the tires rotated due to the queasy-making smell of tire rubber during the hour long wait. However today's unavoidable errand was made slightly more enjoyable by having a stranger chat with me about the Hornblower book i was reading. I've never met an in-real-life person who has read them and the Sharpe books before. He hadn't read Aubrey/Maturin, but that was ok because my car was finally ready. It was a nice book discussion with no unnecessary divulging of any personal information. 😁

• Like 7

It’s Saturday so I will post some pictures.........this week has been busy so I ended up at Brodsworth Hall (local) looking for an interesting topic for Brit Tripping as I believe I have shared photos from there in the past.  When we walked into the main garden even Dh realized something was missing........when our dc’s were little we went there weekly as they have a playground and some large area to play football etc.  We looked around and finally figured out the Monkey puzzles https://www.edenproject.com/learn/for-everyone/plant-profiles/monkey-puzzlehad been removed. Monkey Puzzle trees are a bit of a statement in our area.  They are both expensive and believed to really show you have a green thumb. 😉. They seem to grow quite slowly as one of my friends bought a tiny one when first married and planted in a deep wheelbarrow so she could easily move it until they purchased their forever home.  The needles on these trees are sharp and quite painful to run into.   

So the Monkey Trees at Brodsworth we’re huge!  Both trees suffered from the drought last year and were looking noticeably brown in spots when the picture with Dd in the pink was taken last summer.  The Monkey Puzzle is the large tree in the background.  I am including one of my favorite pictures from when my kids were little in the same garden....can’t find it so I just took a picture of the one on the mantel.  Surprisingly many somewhat tropical trees thrive in Yorkshire.  If you look at the last two photos they have replanted with palm trees and monkey puzzles.  I may end up wanting to delete some of these so please don’t copy. 

9EEA9A16-8A46-4913-B6A3-BF82F7EFE1B4.jpeg

2C436792-FA97-4EB3-B689-864B040529B5.jpeg

Edited by mumto2
Deleted photos
  • Like 6