Menu

DS is disappointed with his SAT score ...

... but I'm not. It's a good score! Improved 50 points from his PSAT and in the 93rd percentile and in the upper range of average for the accepted students at the university he'd most like to attend! And I told him all that. But he's disappointed because he felt like he had done better on the actual test in comparison with some of the practice tests he'd taken. And his score on the essay was only so so and he felt like he'd nailed it. It kills me that he's so disappointed in himself when he should be celebrating that he did well ... ugh 😞

Any wisdom to share to help me help him?

3 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I thought about asking him if he wanted to take it again, but I don't want him to think that *I* think he needs to take it again.

I’ll be nonchalant and wait to see how he feels tomorrow (or a few days after). My older kid thought he could have done better on his first attempt in 6th grade but didn’t care to take it again. My younger kid also took in 6th grade and asked to take it again a month after so I paid for him to retake. 

My kids don’t “celebrate” when they do well and I felt like a weird parent because I would be going for a treat (“special” food) if I did well.

• Like 1

93rd percentile is good! 

My son did take it again and he jumped up 3 percent points.    I think he was a bit ambivalant about retaking it, but he had about the same score the last 2 times he took it and he did improve this time.  He had taken physics this year and I think it helped brush up his algebra skills a bit.

I tell my kids they are not their test scores.  If they don't get in to the school they want they can always transfer in.  There is just too much pressure and value based on this kind of thing.  One of my kids friends did not score well on these type of test for some reason, but he is crazy smart.  And, it is ok to be disappointed for a few days too, before moving on and being happy with the score.

My dd did out of the park on the english section, but she is just avg at math and that showed in her test scores.  She is now in college and has taken her last math class ever.  She is happy!  

• Like 2

My kids know that I fundamentally detest all standardized testing and pretty much think the results are bogus bc they skew toward validating certain types of skills (fast reading/fast processing skills) and don't assess others (higher level critical thinking skills/analysis/complex problem solving).  

FWIW, you can share with your ds that his score is above some of my kids who have gone on to be honors college students.  Standardized tests only test what standardized tests test.  They aren't a gauge of anything else.  Score ranges predict college readiness and that is about all they are worth.  Most definitely NOT for defining future success or abilities.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mbelle said:

93rd percentile is good! 

My son did take it again and he jumped up 3 percent points.    I think he was a bit ambivalant about retaking it, but he had about the same score the last 2 times he took it and he did improve this time.  He had taken physics this year and I think it helped brush up his algebra skills a bit.

I tell my kids they are not their test scores.  If they don't get in to the school they want they can always transfer in.  There is just too much pressure and value based on this kind of thing.  One of my kids friends did not score well on these type of test for some reason, but he is crazy smart.  And, it is ok to be disappointed for a few days too, before moving on and being happy with the score. 

Good point! Hopefully he gets some perspective within a few days.

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Standardized tests only test what standardized tests test.  They aren't a gauge of anything else.  Score ranges predict college readiness and that is about all they are worth.  Most definitely NOT for defining future success or abilities.

I've told him this, and I think he knows/believes it's true. Hopefully he'll recognize this in just a few days and not be so perfectionistic.

When my ds expressed disapointment that his scores weren't "as good" as his best friend's, I did discuss how they would allow him to reach his college goals.  I reminded him of the scholarship that bf wanted and that that was why he put a lot of time into prepping.  I told ds that he could do that if he wanted, but he didn't need to.  He chose not to.

• Like 2

My new 9th grader is mildly happy and mildly disappointed.  He missed CTY SET last june by one question -5 Math =690. This time. -4=730.  Verbal is the troubling side. All 8 college board practice tests, he got -6, or -7,  but on the exam ,-12=660. Oh well. He has a few more years to.pick up the 60 to 70 points needed for 40 percentile of target schools. But, I think we will either stop  taking June SAT test. or switch to ACT. 

41 minutes ago, freesia said:

I did discuss how they would allow him to reach his college goals.

This is the most important part and the only reason to take the test in the first place! His score puts him at the top of the range of average admitted students at Purdue and that's what we were shooting for.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

This is the most important part and the only reason to take the test in the first place! His score puts him at the top of the range of average admitted students at Purdue and that's what we were shooting for.

I'm trying to make sure I understand your wording - do you mean he is in the middle 50% of scores, but toward the top of that range? If so, then yes, that is a very good score. I'm guessing most of his angst is from feeling like he nailed it and then seeing a lower-than-expected score. If he had felt like he struggled on the test, the same score would seem amazing, lol. 

Now, having said that, I wouldn't discourage him from taking it again if there are specific ways/areas he could improve. I wouldn't bring it up anytime soon, but soon enough to have the conversation in a timely manner on whether he is fine with his current score and chances, or if he feels like it would be worth the time prepping to try again. I'm not biased in favor of taking it again - both my kids were one and done - but twice is certainly reasonable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I'm trying to make sure I understand your wording - do you mean he is in the middle 50% of scores, but toward the top of that range?

Google says the average SAT score of an admitted student at Purdue is 520-630 for Reading and 550-690 for Math and he is close to the higher end of both of those scores.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

. I'm guessing most of his angst is from feeling like he nailed it and then seeing a lower-than-expected score. If he had felt like he struggled on the test, the same score would seem amazing, lol. 

Yes, I think this is exactly it!

7 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Hopefully he'll recognize this in just a few days and not be so perfectionistic.

7 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

He did compare scores with his friend (which I wish he wouldn't have done but whatever) and they got the same exact score, so I think that's helping him be more cheerful about it.

My perfectionistic DS14 got better with age. He wasn’t looking at just the score, he also looked at the percentile on his score report. DS14 wasn’t sad but he wasn’t happy either, he is just not expressive. DS14’s issue was that as a homeschooler he wasn’t sure where he placed hence his focus on percentiles rather than scores.

DS13 can dance a jig regardless of what he score 😄 his June chemistry subject test score was in the 80th percentile and his AP exams results were out two days ago.

• Like 1

I feel like the scores seem pretty reflective of  the kids' intelligence in general.  And then studying can bring that up quite a bit, especially with the new re-designed SAT.  Pretty much what I expected is the outcome of my kids, my nieces and nephews and all their friends who chose to share.

Since in certain score brackets, a small improvement makes a big difference for college admissions, it is definitely worth studying and taking again.  My daughter will be in the automatic 15,000.00 scholarship category if she only brings hers up 10 points.  So you better bet she will be studying all next year little by little.

Now, with your son being somewhere in the 1300's, (definitely a great score) some targeted practice might actually bring it up significantly enough that it would be worth the time and effort.  Since it's only the "upper range of average" for the university he would be likely to attend, I would encourage him to study and try again.  

I think you're overly worried about his feelings.  Unless he has a real issue with self esteem or depression or anxiety, most kids would definitely feel ok with you suggesting and even requiring him making an effort of 3-4 months of targeted practice and then trying again.  You DO have to practice five times a week and make it could, but the new khan system makes it pretty easy. 🙂 ....college entrances are so difficult that it's worth a little effort.  Of course, I talked to my kids a lot about how it doesn't measure so many things that are more important in life such as creativity, Big Picture thinking, Growth Mindset, perseverance and so much more...and that it's only one piece of the puzzle.  But my suggestion to them was, "Studying is free.  Why not bother to do it for 15 minutes per day?"   I am pushing my dd to study more than my son because she has a weaker transcript.  

BUT I also agree that you should let it lie for at least a few days, maybe even a week before discussing it.  

• Like 3