Menu

loose, cool, SPF shirt?

ktgrok

I'm doing a ton of lawn/yard work, and I know I need to cover up more. Currently I live in a tank top and shorts. What I want is a loose fit (maybe mens?) short or long sleeves shirt I can throw over my tank top when I'm out in the sun, probably leave it open like a cardigan. I have sensory issues, so tight fitting is NOT an option. I hate sleeves in general, hence the tank tops, but in the winter I can tolerate loose stuff (tend to wear my husband's sweatshirts/hoodies because they are looser). 

Any suggestions?

I have Columbia and LL Bean. The LL Bean fit me better but I do NOT like the fabric. It's almost canvas like--stiff and crinkly. The Columbia is light, breezy and soft. But I had to size way up to get a loose fit. Like I normally wear a small and thought a medium would be loose enough, but had to go all the way to a large.

Sun Precautions is spendy but SPF is in the fabric not chemical additives so they retain sun protection indefinitely. Some of their “big shirts” tunic shirts etc. are loose and flowy.  Probably most comfortable.  Though some others have more mesh venting. (I don’t like their t-shirt type ones though) 

I also have a Columbia , an off brand from Amazon and pull over Knit t-shirt types from Tesla brand — all less expensive, but all hotter.  (Though I do like the short sleeve Tesla UPF t-shirts) The Columbia is about twice as thick as the SunPrecautions and the off brand one thicker and hotter yet. 

I had a melanoma last millennium so have been exploring SPF /UPF clothes for years . 

I have a SPF shirt from Columbia - light-weight breezy material that feels nice but does have a tendency to fall prey to static cling. I buy a size bigger so it will be loose fitting. Last time I looked Zappos had some on clearance - not much off - but a little bit. 

46 minutes ago, Pen said:

I also have a Columbia , an off brand from Amazon and pull over Knit t-shirt types from Tesla brand — all less expensive, but all hotter.  (Though I do like the short sleeve Tesla UPF t-shirts) The Columbia is about twice as thick as the SunPrecautions and the off brand one thicker and hotter yet. 

Your Columbia must be a different style than the one I have, because I really don't think the one I have could possibly be any thinner.

53 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Your Columbia must be a different style than the one I have, because I really don't think the one I have could possibly be any thinner.

Possibly. But Did you see my “I take it back” post above?  I realized I had confused which shirt was my Columbia one.  My Columbia is still probably somewhat warmer than my coolest SP, but likely due to fewer vents, more pockets (doubling the material in those areas)...   and maybe because it is more of a tight fit

• Like 1

Update  - the Columbia Bahama Short Sleeved shirt came, and I really like it so far! I got a large, and it is loose enough to not annoy me  when worn open over a tank top. Could even button it and be moderately not annoyed, lol. Between that and my big brimmed hat I will be much better off!

• Like 1