Menu

Sofa Pillows, wow

DawnM

I went shopping and thought I would look for some pillows for my new to me sofa.  Wow, I had no idea.  I went to Home Goods and pillows were $40 each. I had wanted to get 4 or 5.  

I then thought I would just get pillow covers and recover some older pillows I have.  They are like $20 each.  I found some online for $20 per two, but I hesitate to order from online because I often find the colors are different than I expected from the pictures.

I know I can make them but I am not sure when I will have time.  The fabric store is 45 min to an hour R/T and I haven't even unpacked my sewing stuff and it is deep in the storage unit still.  And I def. feel that I need to unpack first.

OY!  I guess I thought $15 or so per pillow is what I would be looking at.  

Just a vent.  

Yeah, the pillow game is big!!!  Our couch came with 5 super big pillows stuffed with feathers that leak out of the cover.   I ordered new pillow squares to stuff in them - the biggest I could find - but they weren’t big enough. Then I got so fed up I threw away three of them and went shopping, only to get sticker shock.  We continue to have 2 pillows that leak feathers. 😕 

• Confused 1

Habitat for Humanity ReStores often have pillows.

IIRC, you're in the Triangle area? Just before Furniture Market in High Point you can sometimes find accessories like that marked way down in the showrooms. I purchased a bunch of new throw pillows for $1 apiece a couple of years ago from a friend of mine who manages a showroom.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Yeah, the pillow game is big!!!  Our couch came with 5 super big pillows stuffed with feathers that leak out of the cover.   I ordered new pillow squares to stuff in them - the biggest I could find - but they weren’t big enough. Then I got so fed up I threw away three of them and went shopping, only to get sticker shock.  We continue to have 2 pillows that leak feathers. 😕 

You could make a better pillow cover for them.   Look for some fabric with a super tight weave.  If it were me, I'd use PUL for the bonus water-resistance. 
You could still put the attractive cover over the functional cover. 

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 1

I recently went throw pillow shopping as well. I went to HomeGoods, tjmaxx, Kohl’s, and Ross just searching for pillows! I must be picky bc mostly it wasn’t even price issues, it was either appearance or most often, the ‘feel’. (I don’t like scratchy!). Oddly enough, I found some I like at Walmart and I wasn’t even looking there; I just happened to walk by them!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Navy-Reversible-Plaid-Pillow/464563299?variantFieldId=actual_color

Edited by mmasc
Add link
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Habitat for Humanity ReStores often have pillows.

IIRC, you're in the Triangle area? Just before Furniture Market in High Point you can sometimes find accessories like that marked way down in the showrooms. I purchased a bunch of new throw pillows for $1 apiece a couple of years ago from a friend of mine who manages a showroom.

I am not in the Triangle area. 

I know several resale stores have them, I have been to 5 so far, but I think at this point I have a specific look in mind, so I probably won't keep looking unless I happen to be there for another reason.

13 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I recently went throw pillow shopping as well. I went to HomeGoods, tjmaxx, Kohl’s, and Ross just searching for pillows! I must be picky bc mostly it wasn’t even price issues, it was either appearance or most often, the ‘feel’. (I don’t like scratchy!). Oddly enough, I found some I like at Walmart and I wasn’t even looking there; I just happened to walk by them!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Navy-Reversible-Plaid-Pillow/464563299?variantFieldId=actual_color

I will take a look at Walmart.  

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I am not in the Triangle area. 

I know several resale stores have them, I have been to 5 so far, but I think at this point I have a specific look in mind, so I probably won't keep looking unless I happen to be there for another reason.

My bad. High Point is in the Triad anyway, so I was just thinking driving distance. It may still be near enough to check out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

My bad. High Point is in the Triad anyway, so I was just thinking driving distance. It may still be near enough to check out.

No, it is 2 hours away.  I don't plan to be up there any time soon.  But I will keep it in mind if I am.

8 hours ago, mmasc said:

Thanks for posting that link! I had no idea Walmart had so many fun, reasonably priced pillows and throw pillow covers! I've been wanting to replace or recover our sofa cushions and also had sticker shock, but now I'm inspired!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

How about IKEA? Their linens/pillows are reasonably priced. (There's one in the Concord Mills area.)

Maybe.  It is a good 45 min. without traffic, and as you know, there is often traffic.  I may see if a friend wants to go with me, otherwise, I hate going up there.

5 hours ago, May said:

Costco has sofa pillows. They don’t have many different patterns but who knows, you might find something🌺

Hmm,. didn't think to look there.  I don't care for the online ones but maybe there are others inside the store.