Menu

Son took an honors course that was above his head

OK, please bear with me as this is a long story but I am hoping someone out there has had a similar experience. This past school year, my 9th grader took a physics class at our co-op. Why physics in 9th grade? Well, for many reasons but the main one was that it was supposed to be conceptual physics. This class was advertised as a dual class  for both conceptual AND honors being taught at the same time. We have another teacher at the co-op who does this quite successfully so I thought it would be ok. Well, as you have probably guessed from my title, it ended up being only an honors course. The honors kids needed to have a basic understanding of trigonometry. My son isn't super strong in math so he was in Algebra I at the same time. So obviously, he did not have a basic understanding of trigonometry. Against my better judgment, he stayed in the class. Kudos to him, he pushed through, worked hard and made a B as his final grade. It was difficult but he did it. So here comes my question. 

I'm writing up his course descriptions for the year so I am not panicking his senior year trying to write up 4 years worth of school. Do I say something in the course description that this was way above his skill level yet he persevered? I think it will look odd that he took Algebra I and Honors Physics the same year so I wonder if I need to add an explanation. He made an A in Algebra I so at least his math and science grades for 9th grade are balanced. Am I over thinking this (as usual?)

• Like 1

I would think you could give him a B in Honors Physics or just an A in Physics if you honestly feel that reflects his work and the level of the course. 

I do not, however, think that the course description is the place to highlight something personal like how hard he worked. I would think that the course description accurately describes the course and the editorial comments would be in the counselor’s letter. 

Just my .02

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I do not, however, think that the course description is the place to highlight something personal like how hard he worked. I would think that the course description accurately describes the course and the editorial comments would be in the counselor’s letter. 

I agree with this.

5 hours ago, moonflower said:

You're overthinking it; he made a B in honors physics in 9th grade, kudos to him!  In my public high school, honors jr/sr level classes were given a full pt of weight, so an A in Alg 1 and a B in Sr Honors Physics would have had the same GPA.

This.

Katilac:

Two suggestions —

First, I concur both with those who recommend you allow the B in Honors Physics, and with teachermom2834, who wrote that the course description is probably not the place "to highlight something personal like how hard he worked" — I think she's right about that.

Second, you can turn your son's experience with this course to good use when you draft your Counselor Letter on the Common App. — In this document, remember, you convey your student’s qualifications for college; you give a comprehensive account of how he performed in various subjects and, equally important, his characteristics as a student:

• his strengths—work ethic, performance level, etc.;
  • his weaknesses—and here, your ability to write about your son with insight and evenhandedness will lend credibility to all your documentation.

You can acknowledge his lack of preparedness for this course, but the fact that he persevered with it will make a useful illustration of his mettle as a student.

Hope that helps, Katilac.

—Roy Speed

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone! I mentioned to my husband that I'd posted on the board about this and he just sighed and shook his head, "Overthinking again?" he said. Well, yeah, that's what I do best it seems. I was just so worried it would look odd with the honors physics taken at the same time as Algebra I but I guess it is fine. Since he is my oldest he is therefore the guinea pig for our homeschool His younger brother will hopefully have a much calmer mother for homeschooling high school, ha. This freshman year was exhausting, hoping I calm down a bit for sophomore year. He's a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, moonflower said:

You're overthinking it; he made a B in honors physics in 9th grade, kudos to him!  In my public high school, honors jr/sr level classes were given a full pt of weight, so an A in Alg 1 and a B in Sr Honors Physics would have had the same GPA.

I agree with this!

19 hours ago, ShepCarlin said:

Since he is my oldest he is therefore the guinea pig for our homeschool His younger brother will hopefully have a much calmer mother for homeschooling high school, ha. This freshman year was exhausting, hoping I calm down a bit for sophomore year. 

Sooooooo been there, done that.  

On 6/23/2019 at 10:26 AM, royspeed said:

Second, you can turn your son's experience with this course to good use when you draft your Counselor Letter on the Common App. — In this document, remember, you convey your student’s qualifications for college; you give a comprehensive account of how he performed in various subjects and, equally important, his characteristics as a student:

• his strengths—work ethic, performance level, etc.;
  • his weaknesses—and here, your ability to write about your son with insight and evenhandedness will lend credibility to all your documentation.

I love this.  I would only add your student can also use this experience in his own essay or supplemental question.  Whatever makes the most sense, and without being redundant.  

• Like 1