Menu

Hair going gray/white. Need help!

IvyInFlorida

Hi!  I'm 39, with dark-brown, straight hair to mid-back.  It's quite fine and prone to being oily, but there's a lot of it.  I've had an ever-growing white streak since I was about 16, but recently I noticed that all my new baby hairs growing in are stark white.  There's tons of them.  I thought I was just having breakage along my part and hairline, but turns out I get a halo of coarse, wavy, blinding white hairs no matter where I part it. 

Now, I'm cool with the color change, not really anxious to dye it or anything.  But the texture is crazy!  The springy, wiry, wavy whites are very noticeable against the normal smooth dark hair, especially when it's pulled back for working out and martial arts.  Can anyone recommend a product to help?  Anything that will be greasy won't work--my hair is easily weighed down and naturally...well-moisturized, let's say.  🙂

Thank you!!

First I would get your thyroid checked.  Sudden or early onset graying is one sign of hypothyroidism, as is hair loss.  

the wiry part is harder to "fix".  Your texture will change.  I love that my hair has more body. I use some anti-frizz products before I blow-dry my hair, but what really works the best is a straightener.  I'll also use some leave-in argon oil products to help give it back its shine.   You spray it on when your hair is still wet and then brush it through.  Don't use too much or it'll look greasy. 

This is the product I use:

https://www.amazon.com/One-Only-Argan-Spray-Treatment/dp/B005ZXH3OS/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=argan+oil+spray&qid=1558613961&s=gateway&sr=8-4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best non greasy anti-frizz products I've used are Redken's Frizz Dismiss line. Regardless of what shampoo and conditioner I'm using I keep this and this on hand. The first I use on less humid days, the second on more humid days. They don't make my hair greasy or weighed down. But I have thick, dry hair. All I can tell you is that for me those are much less weighty/greasy than other products I've tried. I like Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum but I have to be very, very careful with it or even my dry hair ends up greasy and plastered to my head.

• Thanks 1

In general I've found aloe vera gel (the clear stuff, with just aloe, no added "medicated for sunburn relief" stuff) to work well for preventing flyaways when hair is pulled back.  I appreciate it both because aloe is good for hair and because I don't have to shampoo it out - I can just comb or brush my hair out and let it absorb.  So there's no build-up, no worries about having to clarify occasionally to get it all out.

• Thanks 2

I've found that I need to wash my hair more often.  Using a deep conditioning regime now and again seems to help more than using anti-frizz products as it also seems to get greasy more easily.  In part I've had to change how I think it should look, too, and you might think about a different hairstyle.

I think it's really common at that age, if you've been going white more slowly before, to suddenly get a much faster progression.  

Mousse put in when my hair is still wet is the best thing I've found to tame frizzies. I just use Salon Selectives--$1 at Dollar Tree, smells good, and no animal testing! I brush my hair when it's dry to remove the "crunchiness."

Dying my hair also smoothes the texture considerably. 

When my white hair became more prevalent - it was coarser/more wiry than my brown hair. I didn't want to dye it. I switched to shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley. For 4-6 weeks, it was horrible. My hair felt heavy - like when you don't wash it for a while. I did use a diluted ACV rinse. After that time, my hair - all the various colors - because much softer and slightly more agreeable in doing what I wanted them to do. I still use those shampoo bars (replaced several times of course!) - carrot milk & honey bar - switching off/on with the coconut milk bar. Each bar lasts me about 5-6 months, so they are fairly inexpensive. Most of my front half of my hair is now white, so I do use a Silver/White hair shampoo/conditioner twice a week so it will stay white and not go yellow on me. The back is still brown (so discouraging and such a weird arrangement). 

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/natural-hair/natural-shampoo-bars/

• 2 weeks later...