Menu

Dog Help Please

Mom0012

My dad recently was given a dog.  This dog is very loving, sweet and smart.  She’s an older dog that was owned by a vet and bred a number of litters.  My Dad loves the dog very much but has not had a pet in many years.  There is one problem he is having with her.  She wants to be petted nonstop all day long and she seems bored.  He is worried about her being bored and it’s driving him a bit crazy to have her constantly trying to gain his attention.

She came from a very busy home with multiple dogs and my Dad lives alone.  He walks her multiple times a day and has visitors that heap attention and praise on her a couple of times a week, but he lives a pretty quiet, sedentary life at this point.  The dog is so attention seeking that if he gets a phone call, he has to stand up or she will try to climb into his lap and the dog is 85 pounds.

The dog can be taught not to pester for petting. I often cook for my Dad when I visit and I just ignore her at that time and she doesn’t try to get my attention at all after about 10 seconds (other than a wistful, sad glance now and then, lol). The problem is that she is so sweet, that it makes you feel guilty to ignore her.  And she seems so bored.  What can we do to curb her boredom so she isn’t so desperate for attention every minute of the day?

2 things

1 - teach her "place" where she lays on her bed or a mat and stays there. Calm body can create a calm mind. Just like meditation for people. The more she paces or whines or paws the more worked up she will get herself. 

2. Lots of chew toys, kong toys stuffed with food, balls made to dispense kibble, etc. Also, will she fetch? The chuck it system is great so your dad wouldn't have to bend over too far to get the ball. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

2 things

1 - teach her "place" where she lays on her bed or a mat and stays there. Calm body can create a calm mind. Just like meditation for people. The more she paces or whines or paws the more worked up she will get herself. 

2. Lots of chew toys, kong toys stuffed with food, balls made to dispense kibble, etc. Also, will she fetch? The chuck it system is great so your dad wouldn't have to bend over too far to get the ball. 

She does have a dog bed in the family room where my dad is most of the time.  Yesterday, I sat there with him talking for a couple of hours and I pet her and talked to her twice for about 15 minutes.  Then, my dad told her to go lay down and she did, but a little while later, she started crying.  He’s had her for a couple of months now and we’re all being really gentle with her because we know this must be a big adjustment for her.

She loves to eat, but does not seem that interested in chew toys.  She has no interest in playing fetch unless you are the one that is going to go and fetch the ball, lol.  We did get her a toy that we could put treats in for her, but she figured out how to get the treats out very quickly.  What are some good toys that would really keep her busy?  I think maybe there must be some good toys that would keep her busy.  

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Since she is used to being with other dogs, she is probably missing that companionship. Does your dad have any friends or neighbors with dogs she could socialize with, or could he take her to a dog park on a daily basis?

I do think she’s missing the company and activity.  I will see if there is a dog park near him.  It could be good for him as well as her.

I'd try a stuffed, frozen Kong. They can be stuffed with all sorts of things, from moistened kibble to canned dog food to a mixture of PB and yogurt, PB and mashed banana, chicken/turkey baby food (w/o onions), etc. Freezing them makes them last longer. There are also various types of food dispensing toys, and it usually takes some experimenting (which can be costly) to find one that is challenging but not too challenging for the dog.

• Like 3

My dogs have all enjoyed Nylabone Flexichews. They come in different sizes and shapes. They're not edible, but they are flavored. For one of my dogs, they would last weeks. For the other, they last months. My dogs knew/know to spit out the little pieces they chewed off, but if your dad's dog is the type to eat anything, he'll want to watch her at first.

Nylabone also makes harder Dura Chews, but I had a dog break a tooth on one, so I steer clear of those now. 

What about one of the newer rawhide alternatives, like SmartBones or DreamBones?

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

We use to freeze soup bones and give them raw to our dog--the kind with marrow in them you can see. I have a client who feeds her dog all his food for the day in kongs and other puzzle toys . It takes him a while to eat and exercises his mind. 

Can you do doggy daycare a couple times a week? 

• Like 1

She sounds lonely. ☹️  Is there any possibility of getting a second dog, since she's used to being part of a pack? Even a small, quiet, mostly-sedentary senior dog may provide the company she's craving without adding much work for your dad.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

I did find a dog park a few minutes from my dad’s house and I sent him the link for it.  I think he will take her there regularly if that goes well because he loves this dog and wants her to be happy.  When I go see him next week, I’ll see if he wants to try the park with me if he hasn’t tried it with her on his own.

I am going to go to the pet store and see if I can find a toy to put some treats into.  I’ll definitely look into the frozen Kong.

• Like 3

The doggie day care was something I was wondering about, too, but I think I’ll see what comes of the dog park and maybe putting her food/treats in puzzle toys first.  She needs more to do, I think, and that might help.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom0012 said:

I did find a dog park a few minutes from my dad’s house and I sent him the link for it.  I think he will take her there regularly if that goes well because he loves this dog and wants her to be happy.  When I go see him next week, I’ll see if he wants to try the park with me if he hasn’t tried it with her on his own.

I am going to go to the pet store and see if I can find a toy to put some treats into.  I’ll definitely look into the frozen Kong.

It may give your dad a good way to make friends and socialize as well. I HIGHLY advise going on a weekday morning, around 9am when most people are at work. That's when dog parks are calmer, and tend to have the same people day in and day out. The after work crowd tends to be rowdier, full of dogs that have been cooped up in a kennel for 8 hours and are full of beans. I see way more dog fights in the evening hours. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

It may give your dad a good way to make friends and socialize as well. I HIGHLY advise going on a weekday morning, around 9am when most people are at work. That's when dog parks are calmer, and tend to have the same people day in and day out. The after work crowd tends to be rowdier, full of dogs that have been cooped up in a kennel for 8 hours and are full of beans. I see way more dog fights in the evening hours. 

Great advice on the timing. Thanks.

In addition to good ideas above, I’d suggest setting up a spot where your dad can sit in chair comfortably for phone calls, with the dog on a dog bed next to him where he can pet her head and neck area without her being on his lap...   or if it’s okay for her to be on a couch, to teach her to lie down beside him, in a comfortable way for both.    Same for watching movies, reading, etc where it would be good to be able to pet her comfortably for both.  

Teaching her something could also help reduce boredom...  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Pen said:

In addition to good ideas above, I’d suggest setting up a spot where your dad can sit in chair comfortably for phone calls, with the dog on a dog bed next to him where he can pet her head and neck area without her being on his lap...   or if it’s okay for her to be on a couch, to teach her to lie down beside him, in a comfortable way for both.    Same for watching movies, reading, etc where it would be good to be able to pet her comfortably for both.  

Teaching her something could also help reduce boredom...  

He sits on one end of the couch and he was going to let her sit next to him, but every time he tried, she climbed into his lap.  This is something I’m sure she could be trained to do, though.  He’d just have to work with her.  Another good idea to suggest to him.

1 hour ago, Mom0012 said:

He sits on one end of the couch and he was going to let her sit next to him, but every time he tried, she climbed into his lap.  This is something I’m sure she could be trained to do, though.  He’d just have to work with her.  Another good idea to suggest to him.

Teaching her to lie next to, not on top of , should be quite doable.  Possibly he could use a few sessions with a trainer to show him how to work with her.  Also asking former owners what commands she already knows could help—and what her words and signals are.  I think itbunlikely she has none.  It is even possible that he’s accidentally signaling her to try to climb onto him.  

• Like 1

The trainer is a good idea as well as talking to the previous owner some more about her prior routine and training.  I’ll probably have to just give him one idea at a time., but I will keep on working on this.  I think he wants her to sit next to him on the couch, so this shouldn’t be too hard.

• Like 1

She’s lovely!  

Seeing the picture I had another thought:  though furry, dogs often like something fuzzy type soft under them (cozy feeling, not nubbly )   A soft fuzzy blanket or flannel sheet that’s okay for her to use might be put on the leather (?) couch under where her body is supposed to go.  That also might help as an indication to her of what is wanted, and then maybe just her head would be acceptable on (or at least touching) your Dad’s thigh.  

Our dog also sometimes likes to lie on laps not only to get close, but also because he’s cold, so if cold is at all an issue, a cozy blanket going on top of her too might help.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

The trainer is a good idea as well as talking to the previous owner some more about her prior routine and training.  I’ll probably have to just give him one idea at a time., but I will keep on working on this.  I think he wants her to sit next to him on the couch, so this shouldn’t be too hard.

Sometimes also dogs learn unusual command, especially if they have had a child in family.  

Ours has some offbeat child taught behaviors, (including being told to get on Mom’s lap), as well as some non English commands.   (For example, “ platz “ for lying down, “ Dogname, hier “ for come...) 

I also learned that dog had some word confusion as for example “up” was being used differently by different people and even in different situations, often patting someplace high that dog was supposed to get on top of, but also  including that “up” might mean let’s get “up” to go do something, but to dog that direction wasn’t up and dog was responding trying to go up higher from ground, hence trying to get on human who was trying to stand.   Figuring this out was useful.

with another dog I’d had who was already 6 years or so when I got her, a professional trainer was able to help figure out that regardless of my words she was responding to hand movements, and  in a different way than I was used to—particularly that my “stay” signal was apparently her “come” signal.  She actually knew a lot of commands it turned out, once her language started to be figured out.   

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2