Menu

Need a new book series for 2nd grade DD

Spryte

DD is in 2nd grade.  She needs a new book series, and I’m hitting a wall on what to try next.

This school year she decided to read all the Magic Treehouse books, all the Merlin Mission books, and the Fact Checkers, too. She did it.  She’s even read the most recent releases in both series, and the first book of the new “Super Editions.”

She’s reading Roald Dahl at the moment, but would prefer a series.

The MTH series was probably slightly below her reading level, but she enjoyed the characters, and especially the later books and the Super Edition book.

She loved Zoey and Sassafras - but flies through those in an evening.  

Any ideas?

Race the Wild -- only 4 books so far, but similar to the MTH Fact Checkers

Mystery series
- Cam Jensen
- Jigsaw Jones
- A to Z Mysteries
- Calendar Mysteries
- Boxcar Children
- Roman mysteries

Fantastical series
- Catwings
- Baby Mouse
- Princess in Black
- Dragon Slayers' Academy
- Secrets of Droon
- Rainbow Magic fairy series
- Borrowers
- Land of Stories
- Wings of Fire

Animals
- Puppy Place
- Pony Pals
- Saddle Club

Historical
- American Girls (the short stories, full-length, or mysteries titles)
- Little House chapter books, or Little House: The ____ Years (about Laura Ingalls Wilder's daughter or ancestors)
- I Survived _____

Realistic Misadventures
- Ivy and Bean
- Stink
- Big Nate
- books by Beverly Cleary (all set in the same world) -- Ramona, Beezus, Henry Huggins
- The Moffats

Tall Tales
- Wayside School
- Story Treehouse

Nonfiction
- Magic School Bus chapter books
- Who Was ______ biography series

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

At that age, my daughter loved Violet Mackerel by Anna Branford (had to order the last two books from ebay in Australia since only the first six were published in the USA) and Cobble Street Cousins by Cynthia Ryland.

My 2nd grade DD recently got into the My America books. She also flew through Magic Treehouse books and has gotten into historical fiction after reading the American Girls books (originals as well as the mystery books).

The My America books are like the Dear America books but written for slightly younger kids (I think it is targeted 3-5). I loved the Dear America books myself as a kid, but some of the content is just a little too mature for my DD, but when we discovered the My America books she took to them immediately. Mary Pope Osborne actually writes some of them too, which can be a good transition for historical fiction, MTH lovers.

Well if you asked my dd, she'd say Calvin & Hobbes and another other of the old comic series (Peanuts, Beetle Bailey, Family Circus, etc.) you can find, so there you go. :biggrin:

Has she read the American Girl doll books? I hate 'em, but they're adequate. About that same level would be the Littles. Has she read any COFAs? They're the awesomest and there are over 200, which will keep her busy a while, lol. If you get the older, oop ones they have timelines, etc. in the back, which my dd enjoyed.

DD is 3rd grade.  But, we just discovered the Train Your Dragon series.  
We'd started it as an audiobook because David Tennant is the narrator.  David Tennant was my first Doctor Who and therefore has a special place in my heart.  But the books are an early elementary reading level.  

• Like 1