Menu

My dog LIKES something!!!!!!!

ktgrok

So I know that sounds dumb, but my hound mix has never really LIKED anything, other than me and poop. He doesn't like balls, squeaky toys, treats, playing tug, anything that you would typically do WITH a dog. He likes to smell thing, but does not like Tracking (we tried). Didn't care for barn hunt...he found the rat but reluctantly, and only out of pity for us humans who kept asking him to look for it. Someone once asked me what does he like, what motivates him, and all I could come up with was rolling in poop, peeing on things, and playing with other dogs (which he loves). 

Well, today I stood in the rain for almost an hour so he could attempt lure coursing. And it was worth EVERY second - he LOVED it! I have NEVER EVER EVER seen this dog get worked up about anything, I've always said he has almost zero drive, but today he was waiting in line and on total alert watching that lure!!! It was crazy. And then when it was his turn he went so fast he tumbled head over tail in the wet grass, poor thing. But he recovered and slowed down and had a blast! After his turn the man that makes/sells the equipment came into the course to ask me how old he was, and talk to me about keeping him in the sport, safety issues, etc and then said, "don't run him more than 2 minutes at a time because he has so much drive". I'm not going to lie, I literally started crying because he said my dog had high drive....I know that sounds  silly but I LOVE seeing dogs do what they are best at, what they love - and have struggled for two years trying to find that thing for this dog. And today we did! 

I get such a rush watching dogs in "drive"...that look of intensity that you see in a pointer pointing in a field, or an agility dog running the course full tilt, or what not. And I hate to admit it, but it has bugged me to not have that with this dog. A lot. To see him today, so driven, so focused, so intense, and then released to run....it was amazing. Even if he did fall down 🙂

I'm looking for events for us to go to so he can do this again, and DH has said we can buy the home version if we can figure out how to make it work in our back yard 🙂

This video is short, and is from AFTER he tumbled over himself, and had slowed down -. Also, the grass was wet, so that slowed him as well, and you see him slip in this clip even with slowing down.  But he's so cute chasing it and looks so happy!

Edited to add better video: 
Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

He really does look happy. He is in the moment and truly loving every second of it. I'm so glad you stuck it out in the rain to give this gift to him. 🙌

Thank you! I put the longer video in the original post - but it doesn't show his epic fall either, lol. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Ahhh, he caught! WTG! You have to get him one for the backyard. Shoot, you'd never have to walk him again. I bet he slept good after that.

He was so tired when we got home that instead of getting up on the couch to sleep he slept on the floor in front of it. Then after a nap he got up on the couch 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Aww! This is the same behavior in car-chasing dogs. Good to know there is a healthy and safe outlet for this drive!

Yes! Or cat chasers, lol! 

He hasn't shown a ton of prey drive anywhere else, but maybe training overrode it before it could take hold? He will run out and chase the squirrels out of the yard briefly, but isn't obsessed with them like a lot of dogs. He ignores them on walks and at the park and such. And he's fine with cats, including ones we see on walks. It's really weird - this is literally the ONLY time I've seen him like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

How cool! Does the lure run on a string? If so, how do the dogs keep from tripping/catching on it?

It does, and honestly, I'm not sure, lol! This is the company - https://www.swiftpaws.com

I would order the home version they are coming out with in a heartbeat if I had the space to set up a big enough course for my dog. As it is I think it would too small an area and he'd hurt himself - he's a very leggy dog. Only 67 pounds but all legs - we joke that his spots are because he is part giraffe.