Menu

Can someone send me magic weight-loss dust or something?

I have to lose 30 pounds and I don't wanna.

But I turn 40 this year and if I don't do this now I never will. I want to run a 5K this year, before my knees and ankle give out. I want to wear cute clothes. I want to feel good and have energy. I want to do 25 diamond push-ups just to say I did. I want to be able to play tennis with my kiddos without feeling like my chest is going to explode.

I want to be diabetes and heart-disease resistant, too!

I did 20 minutes on the treadmill, stretches and some strength exercises tonight. I took a first step, right?

Right? RIGHT?!?!

Okay, whine over.

I am walking with a friend in 8 minutes. We stopped over the holidays, then there were illnesses, then blizzards, sleet, rain, and hurricane force winds, oh and the day it was -10 with a -20 wind chill last week. So I gained back the 10 lbs I lost and I am MAD. I don't want to walk but I am sick of being overweight too!! UNITE, we can do this!:p

my poor dh lost 5 pounds the past 6 months because we're broke! He can't afford to eat out at work, and at home I can't afford to give him 2-3 chicken thighs every night! Now he gets one serving of meat, tons of veggies and lots of rice or such. Since he's not a starchy guy (and I only make enough just to feed us now) he's losing weight! A LOT of it.

There is a magic weightloss pill and it takes 30-45min to swallow each day it's called exercise. Seriously, I was a lot like you but when I finally said enough is enough I got up every morning at 4A and got my butt out the door and walk, jogged, craweled, for 45min then bumped it up to 1 hour, added weights and lost 30lbs in 4months.

Cut out sweets/sugar! I have lost 17 pounds just by making that change in my diet! If you add in exercise and slowly change your eating habits...like no more fast food...you will see a big change. One more tip, use a salad/lunch plate for your meals so you start cutting down on portion sizes.

Take baby steps!

~Holly

I was 2.2 pounds lighter this morning, so someone must have dropped some dust on me when I wasn't looking! :)

Holly, I'm glad you said that about sugar because it's one of the first things I did. I even found a great coffee (Melitta) that I can drink black. I'm giving up my sweet iced tea (this Southern girl is "sur-ous," people!) today and making green tea with stevia instead.

SparkPeople, exercise, no sugar, more exercise...I think I'll pass on the "broke" diet, Sandra ;) but the small portion part definitely is worth considering!

I've heard that giving yourself a free day each week -- no exercise, no food rules -- is a good idea too. Do any of you do that? I'm thinking if I know I can have some chocolate or chips that day I'll leave them be on the other days.

I have been struggling for ages, now. It used to be, that whenever I hopped on Weight Watchers and stepped up the exercise, I'd lose weight. Easy as that.

Now, even though I monitor calories and in December began exercising again, my weight does not budge.

I was working out 45 min - an hour, 5 or 6 days a week. But recently, my body has seemed to let me know that that's too darn much. I can't keep it up. Instead of being energized, I was getting exhausted.

But, I think I can do 30 minutes a day. Is that "good enough"? Can 30 minutes of low-impact aerobics a day really help me to lose weight?

My doctors don't believe me. They tell me that if I stick to weight watchers, I'll lose weight - so I must be doing it wrong. Ha. Thanks, docs. No, I know the WW program thoroughly and I'm not doing it wrong. And yet ...

I'm not sure a free eating *day* is a good idea...but, one free meal with dessert during week would be better. You could essentially eat all the calories you have eliminated in the one week...on one day if you are not careful. It would be okay to skip a day of exercise, though.

Also, just to be clear...I don't eat ANY sweetener of any kind. I do put raw honey in my home-made bread and muffins...but, I do not consume any type of sweetener other than that. Besides, I control the amount and cut it in half in all the bread items I make.

You are on your way!!!

~Holly

I've heard that giving yourself a free day each week -- no exercise, no food rules -- is a good idea too. Do any of you do that? I'm thinking if I know I can have some chocolate or chips that day I'll leave them be on the other days.

I can't do this. If I did, I'd eat an entire bag of chips and a whole recipe of cookies. And, then I'd want to do it the next day too.

What has worked for me is putting everything I put into my mouth into sparkpeople. I was amazed at how many calories certain foods had! So, for now, I'm down to exercising 30 - 45 minutes a day and watching what I eat (ie small portions). But, I never limit the amount of veggies I have. I've lost 12 pounds in four weeks, so it's working!! (I have another 25 to go.)

I'll throw some dust your way now!!!

Well, I've lost 21 lbs in the last five weeks and am more than halfway to my goal weight... It took determination, but it wasn't miserable (most of the time, lol)... And I haven't been counting calories.

What I have been doing is following the Eat to Live (Dr. Joel Fuhrman) recommendations. It's not an "eat what you love and still lose weight" diet -- it's a pretty strict vegan diet based on *lots* of veggies (raw and cooked) and fruit, with no sugar (or sweeteners), no oil, no refined flours, and limited grains. But in a certain way, the "rules" make it easy to follow. And since it's simply not *possible* to follow the Eat to Live plan and consume very many calories, it's not necessary to count calories.

My skin looks good, I feel good (despite having some doubts about the diet early on), and I'm not dying to "cheat" all the time. For the most part, after five weeks, I'm pretty content with our new diet plan. (Dh has been doing it with me, which has been a *huge* help -- the kids are still getting dairy, a little meat, and a lot more grains and fat than we get, though they've also been eating more fruits and veggies as well. (We always tried to eat a bunch, but never like we've been eating lately.)

We do have an occasional cheat *meal* (I think three in the last 5 weeks). Not a whole day -- that could easily destroy a week's worth of eating well for me. And because of the changes in our diet, our "cheats" really haven't been so bad in terms of eating. Once it was grilled salmon and asparagus (with a little real butter and olive oil), once it was a turkey sandwich, and once it was a bacon cheeseburger (okay, lol, so that one was bad -- but it was from a place that makes *good*, fresh ones, not "fast food"). The nice thing is when you've only got one "cheat" a week, you're pretty thoughtful about going for the best version of the item you most want -- not like some of the mindless "easy" eating that has gotten me where I am right now.

Oh, and chocolate... Dh and I have been allowing ourselves very small quantities of very strong chocolate when we want it. We started with Lindt 85% cacao, but no we eat the 99% stuff (which I think you can only find at Lindt stores). It does taste a bit like dirt ;) but it also, amazingly, satisfies my chocolate craving. (One of the small squares of the 99% bar is about 20 calories and almost no sugar. It's relatively high in fat, but if that's all I'm eating -- not a whole bar -- it adds an insignificant amount to my diet.)

I feel cuter, more energetic, I'm loving getting dressed in the mornings, in the past week *all* of my friends have noticed and complimented me!... And I feel a lot more like exercising than I did before. So far my exercising has remained somewhat sporadic, but I'm working on that. My favorite is when dh is in town and I can go to my drop-in adult dance studio (where I take ballet or modern or, sometimes, whatever other class is available when dh is home to watch the kids, lol)...

Anyway, when dh and I first read about Eat to Live when a colleague of his blogged about it, we thought it was just way over the top. Once we finally decided to just buckle down and do it, we were pleasantly surprised. And dh doesn't need to lose weight, but we *are* concerned about keeping his heart healthy, and we both have/had grandparents with type 2 diabetes... This isn't just a fad diet -- it's a healthier way of eating that we're hoping to sustain long-term (with occasional "cheats" to allow us to enjoy communal experiences, etc).

Weight Training. I started doing weight training at the YMCA in October and it has helped me to drop 25 lbs and drop 3 pant sizes ( I can actually wear 4 pant sizes down if I want it to be tight). I did diet in the beginning, but then I just started to eat healthy. The key is really to stick with it. I would say 3 x a week and then do some sort of cardio the other days, even if it is just power grocery shopping, running around your neighborhood or speed cleaning.

Michelle

Weight Training. I started doing weight training at the YMCA in October and it has helped me to drop 25 lbs and drop 3 pant sizes ( I can actually wear 4 pant sizes down if I want it to be tight). I did diet in the beginning, but then I just started to eat healthy. The key is really to stick with it. I would say 3 x a week and then do some sort of cardio the other days, even if it is just power grocery shopping, running around your neighborhood or speed cleaning.

Michelle

How much weight training are you doing? I'm doing 3x a week, but just with free weights, and only about 15-20 minutes of it. I can work up to more later, but that's what I can/will do right now.

I lost weight on Nutrisystem last year and have gained it all back. After 6 months and about 20 pounds, I quit (one can only eat that food for so long, lol) and when I went to the doctor for the annual lab works, my cholesterol was over 300. Ouch! Back I went to Atkins, and 2 months later the cholesterol was down to 200 and my good cholesterol was over 70...but I don't lose weight. I'm either dancing (hula) or doing Walk Away the Pounds (the 3mile walk) 5 days a week, and not. losing. a. pound. Grrr.

I have been struggling for ages, now. It used to be, that whenever I hopped on Weight Watchers and stepped up the exercise, I'd lose weight. Easy as that.

Now, even though I monitor calories and in December began exercising again, my weight does not budge.

I was working out 45 min - an hour, 5 or 6 days a week. But recently, my body has seemed to let me know that that's too darn much. I can't keep it up. Instead of being energized, I was getting exhausted.

But, I think I can do 30 minutes a day. Is that "good enough"? Can 30 minutes of low-impact aerobics a day really help me to lose weight?

My doctors don't believe me. They tell me that if I stick to weight watchers, I'll lose weight - so I must be doing it wrong. Ha. Thanks, docs. No, I know the WW program thoroughly and I'm not doing it wrong. And yet ...

"French Women Don't Get Fat." It talkes about a general philosophy of eating. Portion size, preparation, taking the time to enjoy what you eat. One tip on snacking that I use from that book is to have a small bowl of plain yougurt a couple of times during the day. There are also recipes for soups and other healthy things that are satisfying. I don't care for sweets that much but I do love my carbs. That is the area where I need to be more careful. I have also started drinking more water and taking my coffee black.

Well, I've lost 21 lbs in the last five weeks and am more than halfway to my goal weight...

Wow, Abbey, that is a lot of weight gone! I've put the book on hold at the library, along with Dana's "French Women" book. I like what you said about occasional cheats. My DH is heading in the same direction, so that will be very helpful.

The last thing I want to do is become obsessed with any of this, but a certain amount of reprogramming is inevitable. All of this stuff you guys are sharing is very helpful to me.

How did I get to the point where I need to lose 43 pounds? (Yes, 43! Not just the 30 I thought.) I know having babies and getting older, blah blah blah, but I think back to the time when a Cheeseburger Happy Meal was more than I could finish and wonder.

Fortunately, I'm pretty healthy but that can't last forever at the rate I'm going. And once things start falling apart, they're not always that easy to put together again.

The last thing I want to do is become obsessed with any of this, but a certain amount of reprogramming is inevitable. ...

How did I get to the point where I need to lose 43 pounds? (Yes, 43! Not just the 30 I thought.) I know having babies and getting older, blah blah blah, but I think back to the time when a Cheeseburger Happy Meal was more than I could finish and wonder.

Lol... I sure empathize! And yes, the funny thing is, by changing our diet pretty drastically and to a fairly limited (most of the time) diet, I've found I don't have to think about what I'm eating nearly as much as when I'm just trying to cut back and reduce calories / portions, etc. I don't have many choices to make, lol, and when it's just fruits and vegetables, I don't have to worry about portions. The whole diet *sounds* more overwhelming, but in some ways it's much simpler.

And yes, all this time I'd been fibbing to myself about how much food I was really eating (and how bad some of it was for me -- 'cause I could always say it's "better than the average American diet", etc) and how much I had really gained. Sigh. Ten more lbs and I'll be about where I was when I got pregnant with ds and where I was after I'd gained my "freshman fifteen" -- another ten after that, and I'll be where I was when I got pregnant with dd...

isn't that way of eating pretty heavy on beans? I think I've looked at it before, and thought it would be wonderful ... but I cannot eat beans. Or nuts. I can manage soy.

How can you handle soy but not beans? I don't mean I'm arguing with you, lol, and I know it sounds like that -- I just thought that was unusual. Isn't soy usually (with peanuts, garbanzos and English peas) one of the most allergenic legumes? (Again, I'm not saying I disbelieve you that this is the case for you!) We don't have nuts in the house, though we do eat some seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flax), because of ds' allergies to treenuts and peanuts. But yes, Eat to Live does require legumes every day (soy is obviously one possibility, but I would be hesitant if it meant I had to eat soy more than once or twice a week). So yeah, if you can't eat any legumes besides soy, you probably wouldn't be able to follow it exactly. If you can have lentils or *some* legumes, it might be workable. I haven't found being nut-free to be a problem.

How can you handle soy but not beans? I don't mean I'm arguing with you, lol, and I know it sounds like that -- I just thought that was unusual. Isn't soy usually (with peanuts, garbanzos and English peas) one of the most allergenic legumes? (Again, I'm not saying I disbelieve you that this is the case for you!) We don't have nuts in the house, though we do eat some seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flax), because of ds' allergies to treenuts and peanuts. But yes, Eat to Live does require legumes every day (soy is obviously one possibility, but I would be hesitant if it meant I had to eat soy more than once or twice a week). So yeah, if you can't eat any legumes besides soy, you probably wouldn't be able to follow it exactly. If you can have lentils or *some* legumes, it might be workable. I haven't found being nut-free to be a problem.

In the same way that you can be allergic to one nut, but not to another. Very often you are allergic/intolerant to an entire family, but not always. So far, all legumes bother me except soy, peanuts, green beans, and possibly English peas and garbanzos - still testing those. So even though those are generally the most allergenic, I *can* eat them - while I'm highly allergic to tree nuts, and intolerant of lentils, black beans, pinto beans etc.

But yeah, since I am intolerant of the others, I dislike eating soy/peanuts/etc. every day.

But that's where you get most of your protein from, right? Legumes?

But that's where you get most of your protein from, right? Legumes?

Yes, pretty much -- so I really don't think it would work for you as written. And Fuhrman doesn't do a good job in the book of addressing food allergies to whole classes (or nearly whole classes) of foods he thinks we should be eating daily. I haven't read is book on children (Disease-proof Your Child), but there's no way ds could follow the adult version of EtL and consume enough calories or fat for a growing child. I get the feeling nuts are a big part of the kids' plan, and obviously those are off limits here. (A few years ago, he couldn't have any legumes either, and then he *really* couldn't have done EtL -- I'm so grateful he seems to have outgrown the legume allergies!)

It's so hard with allergies. I really do empathize. I don't know if you would get anything out of reading the book or not. The emphasis on fruits and veggies is always good, but I don't see how you could get enough protein without nuts *or* legumes. (Even if you could eat certain ones a couple of times a week...)

It's interesting how everyone is so different in how they react to food. I was a vegetarian for over eight years, and it was with that diet that I was my heaviest. I was even a vegan for about six months but that was more than my husband could stomach. He, of course, was thin to start with and stayed thin while we were veggies.

During my first pregnancy, I craved meat badly and I gave in after all that time. I have never looked back, and it was not until both my daughter's were dx with Celiac that I really started loosing major amounts of weight. I did drop a good bit after eating meat again but that was due to a major increase in exercise (something I feel all people need no matter their diet).

But after our house went GF, no wheat, barley, rye, or anything that had ingredients made with gluten, did the weight really come off. For the most part I no longer eat grains except for brown rice, teff, quinoa, and a little corn. Even though I did not have to give up gluten, it was just easier for us to do so, at least in the home. But WOW, I never realized how badly my body digested carbs from grains and some beans.

We still eat a ton of veggies, some fruits, limited beans & legumes, nuts, fish, and the meats we eat are lean or in small amounts like lamb, pork, chicken, buffalo. But I feel so much better w/o all that bread. I do miss it though.

For me, the magic "weight loss dust" was a supplement called 5-htp. With 5-thp, I lost 25 lbs last year (from April to November). It made me feel full sooner, so I ate less. Over time, I chose healthier and healthier options (fewer carbs, more fruits & veggies), so I lost weight and got healthier.

I was amazed that my mental focus on food (e.g.: "what will I make for dinner?" -- which began at lunch) was so clearly a *chemical* imbalance. Once my serotonin level was increased by the 5-htp, my constant focus on eating disappeared. So, I didn't crave carbs/bread/pasta, wasn't immediately hungry after meals, and was satisfied by one square of chocolate, not a whole bar. My whole attitude about eating changed, making it easy to lose weight. This was a very freeing thing for me!

If you'd like to know more, email me and I'll send you the information.

HIH,

Lisa

Jenny in ATL,

I've been a vegetarian -- even a vegan -- in the past and been heavier too. The difference now is exactly what you point out -- I'm eating very little grain, and when I do it's mostly gluten-free grains (brown rice, quinoa, a little corn, etc). I *do* still occasionally eat wheat or sprouted grains, but those are rare for me and not in large quantities.

I do think that has been a major component of my weight-loss this time -- and lack of loss previously. I could be a vegan and still eat huge quantities of grain products -- in fact my diet was largely grain-based. At this point, it's almost entirely vegetable / fruit based with a lot of legumes. And for me, that seems to be working.

Guest Sarahuk

I would really recommend this book written by Sue Prosser.I have been on a diet for 30 years and during that time I've gained over 3 stone.I'm hoping this can get me off the Diet/Binge cycle.She has a website you can check out too called Fit For Life Forever.

Best Wishes

Sarah

I was on Weight Watchers (on my own, no meetings) for a few years, and lost 106 pounds. I have maintained (gained up to 10 pounds, then lost it again) for a little over three years now. I had been very over-weight for almost my entire life. I decided when I was over 50 that I would lose my weight, but knew from my history that I generally do pretty well for a month or two, and then burn out. Once I'd "go off my diet," I was once again convinced that I couldn't do this dieting thing then I'd forget the whole thing. So, when I decided to lose my weight this time, I decided to give myself off one day a week. I would not watch what I ate on my day off, and if I was hungry for something that I wasn't able to eat while dieting, then I'd eat it. I know this was a mind game I was playing, but it really worked because it kept me from burning out, and if I got really hungry for something, I'd just tell myself that I could have it on Sunday if I still wanted it. Many of those Sundays I wouldn't eat anything that wasn't allowed on my diet. But if I did, there was no guilt, because I was free on that day. Believe me, if you really stick to your diet all week, you will not want to undo all your work by eating all day long. But if you are craving something not normally allowed, you can eat it and not feel guilty, and therefore you will get right back with the program the next day. Now that I've lost all my weight, I pretty much stick to the program M-F, and take weekends off. I'm not nearly as strict as I was when I was dieting, but I find that this works for me.:o

Abbey, would you mind posting what you had for lunch today, or another typical meal? Thanks!

Yesterday's lunch was a bag of frozen organic broccoli florets and five or six crimini mushrooms. I dumped the bag out in a large, shallow dish and quartered the mushrooms and tossed them on top. Roasted at 400 degrees till the broccoli was just starting to get roasted, toasted brown on some of the edges and ate with a wee bit of salt. (I can't eat the way the diet recommends *and* totally forego salt, which is what he suggests.)

Today I had broccoli slaw (shredded broccoli stalks with shredded carrot -- if I have red cabbage, I'll add that too) tossed with some sesame seeds, a few drops of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and a little low cal sesame ginger dressing. I also had brussel sprouts (trimmed, halved, blanched, then roasted at 400 along with a thinly sliced leek).

Dinner last night was 1C brown rice pasta (any whole grain pasta would be fine), with tomato sauce (low fat and low sugar) with tons of crimini and shiitake mushrooms. Also spinach sautéed with Italian seasonings and garlic, then stirred in with tofu (sort of like the spinach-and-ricotta layer in some lasagnas), and artichoke hearts with a little lemon juice.

Tonight will be lentil soup (with lots of veggies) and salad.

Breakfast is often just fresh fruit (often a *lot* of fresh fruit), or a smoothie made with just frozen fruit (no juice or dairy, etc -- I'll add water if necessary) and maybe some flaxseed meal. Today I put 1/3C "rough cut" oats in a bowl, about a cup of mixed frozen berries and cherries, and a 1/2C boiling water (and the teeniest pinch of cinnamon and salt) and let it steep for a while while I was running around doing other things. By the time I came back to it, the berries were melted and the oats softened (but not really cooked or hot). It sounds strange, but I think it's yummy. I'll also sometimes eat cooked veggie leftovers if I have them and they sound good to me. Trader Joe's also has some really heavy-on-the-bran-and-not-much-else muffins that I buy on occasion.

Mostly lots of salad, lots of veggies, bean soups and vegetarian chili and Indian vegetarian curries and things like that...

Toscano Reno is the author. Basically it's just healthy eating - lots of veggies, fruit, lean protein, whole grains, no sugar/white flour, etc. BUT, you eat 6x/day. This has made the world of difference for me. I can go for long stretches w/o eating, but then when I realize I'm hungry, I go for the chocolate chip cookies, muffins, whatever. By keeping fueled through the day on good stuff, I don't get hungry. She also advocates taking a mini-cooler with you when you are out and about so you don't have to buy food while you're out. She was a 40 year-old mom who was substantially overweight. After her divorce, she just said "I'm done with being fat." Now, at 48, she's a swimsuit model-really! She says that 80% of it is nutrition, 10% is exercise, and 10% is DNA. She has a workout book too that I really like. It's really strength training, but she tells you to do cardio several times a week. I like it b/c she's a woman and she talks about strength training from a woman's perspective. So, here's what I'm doing:

3x/week - strength training ~ 45 mins.

3x/week - running ~ 2-3 miles (I hope to be up to 3-4 again soon)

Eating 6x/day. Here's what today looked like:

Breakfast - protein smoothie (following strength training)

Snack - cottage cheese with grapes and almonds

Lunch - salad with salmon (from last night), lettuce, asparagus, almonds

and balsamic vinaigrette

Snack - deviled eggs with hummus instead of the yolk/mayo/mustard combo - really yummy!

Dinner - Minestrone Soup with a slice of my homemade ww bread

Oh, lots of water and no artificial sweetners.

I don't have a scale, so I'm just going by my clothes. I don't have a ton of weight to lose, but some. I feel fantastic; my skin looks good, and I know that I'm eating good food instead of fake low-fat stuff or Atkins. I lost weight on Atkins several years ago, but after awhile all that meat/cheese/etc. kind of grossed me out.

The other thing I like about this is that I'm not fixing separate meals for the kids. This is really important to me. She also has a cookbook that I really like and I've found the recipes to be good.

I have a friend who's been on this for several months and she looks amazing and feels even better.

My goal is NOT to be a swimsuit model, but to feel good, to feel like I can play with my kids at the pool and on the beach instead of hiding in a chair, and to be comfortable in my body for myself and with my husband.

For me, it also has to do with not making food an idol - either thinking about it, running to it for comfort, seeing food as stress relief, etc. This is much more a "way of life" than a diet.

There have been a couple of times when I've forgotten to eat and felt the temptation rising in me to just get a spoonful of peanut butter sprinkled with chocolate chips - really! But I've been able to resist and eat something that I know is really fueling my body rather than satisfying a craving.

Anyway, let me know if you want more information about this!

:) Cindy