Menu

Thyroid Test Results

melissamomof5

Been on a long journey trying to find a reason to blame for my symptoms. Started years ago with severe hip joint pain. Dr did tests and discovered ANA speckled 1:320. D3 was also very low. I have struggled on/off over the years with iron as well. My dr's fix for this was 5,000 IU d3 a day. I do not currently take any medications, only some supplements.

The past two years fatigue, muscle tension, random joint pains (for example fingers were swollen and stiff and in pain for several months this last summer), fatigue, mental fog, tension headaches/migraines, and have had hives/itchy rash almost every day since October 2017, also gluten intolerant (severe bloating, discomfort, and other things)

My dr re-ran autoimmune tests. ANA still positive. All other tests came back okay. Sent me to an allergist for skin scratch test because of hives. Only positive was an allergy to trees. Allergist ran tests as well to rule out other things.

TPO was <10 reference range of <40

T3 Reverse 13.5 reference range of 9-27
Thyroglobulin Ab <1 reference range of <9
T4 Free .9 reference range of .6-1.3
Thyroglobulin Antibody <1 reference range <4
T3 Free 3.97 reference range 2.5-3.9

I don't have another appt scheduled to discuss with dr. The message said they were all within normal range. What do you think? Can I cross this one off the list of possible culprits? :)
Edited by melissamomof5

I'm sure no expert, but I'd think a positive ANA combined with your symptoms warrants a referral to a rheumatologist for more testing and evaluation. As far as I know a positive speckled ANA could indicate lupus, Sjogren's, RA or several other AI illnesses that have symptoms similar to what you describe. I'd ask for a referral. Even if your insurance doesn't require a referral many rheumatologists do require one before they'll schedule an appointment.

• Like 1

I'd listen to Pawz4me, I know she has experience with the ANA test and RA.

You do not have the anti-bodies for auto-immune thyroid disease. You might be having some thyroid conversion issues w/ your high T3 and your T4 a bit under mid-range but that is not what I'd be chasing right now with the positive ANA test, I'd look after that angle first and foremost.

eta: With the thyroid as it is personally I'd just keep an eye on it, tweaking dosages to get levels just perfect is hard and can take a very long time to get right. If your levels are close to optimal not on any medication and you do not have the thyroid antibodies it is not something I'd stress about. Now, if once you get the ANA results it might be something to look into more if your still not feeling the best.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, melissamomof5 said:

Been on a long journey trying to find a reason to blame for my symptoms. Started years ago with severe hip joint pain. Dr did tests and discovered ANA speckled 1:320. D3 was also very low. I have struggled on/off over the years with iron as well. My dr's fix for this was 5,000 IU d3 a day. I do not currently take any medications, only some supplements.

The past two years fatigue, muscle tension, random joint pains (for example fingers were swollen and stiff and in pain for several months this last summer), fatigue, mental fog, tension headaches/migraines, and have had hives/itchy rash almost every day since October 2017, also gluten intolerant (severe bloating, discomfort, and other things)

My dr re-ran autoimmune tests. ANA still positive. All other tests came back okay. Sent me to an allergist for skin scratch test because of hives. Only positive was an allergy to trees. Allergist ran tests as well to rule out other things.

T3 Reverse 13.5 reference range of 9-27
T4 Free .9 reference range of .6-1.3
T3 Free 3.97 reference range 2.5-3.9

I don't have another appt scheduled to discuss with dr. The message said they were all within normal range. What do you think? Can I cross this one off the list of possible culprits? 🙂

Your FT4 is low. Your FT3 fine, but your Reverse T3 indicates hypothyroid. And your symptoms scream hypothyroid. Given the fact that you have antibodies, that would indicate Hashimoto's, and autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid.

If you do FB, check out the Hashimoto's 411 group.

You might be able to improve your symptoms by diet and supplements; the FB group has great info on diets that are best for autoimmune diseases, but don't overlook the possibility of medication, preferably a natural desiccated thyroid such as NatureThroid or Armour. And I suspect you're going to have to find a new doctor, since your current one has not yet figured out that you're hypo. 😞

19 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Your FT4 is low. Your FT3 fine, but your Reverse T3 indicates hypothyroid. And your symptoms scream hypothyroid. Given the fact that you have antibodies, that would indicate Hashimoto's, and autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid.

If you do FB, check out the Hashimoto's 411 group.

You might be able to improve your symptoms by diet and supplements; the FB group has great info on diets that are best for autoimmune diseases, but don't overlook the possibility of medication, preferably a natural desiccated thyroid such as NatureThroid or Armour. And I suspect you're going to have to find a new doctor, since your current one has not yet figured out that you're hypo. 😞

Where do you see she has thyroid antibodies??? RT3 is ideal 12 and under she is barely above that and her T4 is nearly mid-range. I'd keep an eye on it but I'd not go sky is falling mode with those numbers.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

There is a huge overlap in symptoms among many AI illnesses. Yes, most of the ones you describe (and more) are what I experienced before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. But I also experienced many of the same symptoms in the months before I was diagnosed with RA. I wasted several months in getting my RA diagnosed because I tried to blame my symptoms on my thyroid. I SO wanted it to be just needing a medication adjustment! And Sjogren's, lupus and other AI disease symptoms overlap with those of RA (and hypothyroidism). Of all your results the ANA is to me by far the most concerning. The thyroid panel doesn't concern me at all, and I doubt very seriously you'd be able to find anyone other than a total quack who would medicate you based on those results.

ETA: If you are diagnosed with something--whether it be lupus/Sjogren's/RA or hypothyroidism--you'll want to keep check on the other issue. Polyautoimmunity (having more than one AI disease) is quite common. The typical scenario is being diagnosed with one and then a few years later developing another. It's nothing to really worry about, but just to be aware of.

Edited by Pawz4me

31 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

here's a chart to give you an idea of how they fit into OPTIMAL range.  "normal" ranges include people who are hypo, thereby skewing the numbers. . . . let that sink in.

https://hypothyroidmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Dr.-Borenstein-optimal-TSH-Free-T4-Free-T3.jpg

According to this chart, my T3 (2.0) tested in November is low, but TSH (1.24 in August) is optimal. 

My free T4 doesn't match the chart, but here were the results (in November):

Free T4 Index
Name    Date    Value    Units    Range    Source
Free Thyroxine Index       1.60        1.6 - 4.7    

T3 Uptake                        29.00    %    22 - 37   

T4, Serum                         5.40    ug/dL    4.5 - 11.1

Does anyone know what this means?  My GP says it's all normal but I have gained a lot of weight in a short period of time and have also developed heart palpitations.

Also, I take biotin and didn't realize it could affect lab results.  

13 hours ago, melissamomof5 said:

fatigue, muscle tension, random joint pains (for example fingers were swollen and stiff and in pain for several months this last summer), fatigue, mental fog, tension headaches/migraines, and have had hives/itchy rash almost every day

Although there's some overlap (fatigue, brain fog, muscle pain), the degree and broader range of what you're describing goes beyond thyroid. I don't know ANA testing, but it sure sounds like that's the direction you need to be looking. I think too lupus can kind of cycle and be worse at times, better at times. The finger thing is so classic for that and not explained by the thyroid. And what was your TSH? Surely they ran it along with the other labs? And did they rerun your D? Are you taking it along with K2 to make sure it absorbs?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

According to this chart, my T3 (2.0) tested in November is low, but TSH (1.24 in August) is optimal. 

My free T4 doesn't match the chart, but here were the results (in November):

Free T4 Index
Name    Date    Value    Units    Range    Source
Free Thyroxine Index       1.60        1.6 - 4.7    

T3 Uptake                        29.00    %    22 - 37   

T4, Serum                         5.40    ug/dL    4.5 - 11.1

Does anyone know what this means?  My GP says it's all normal but I have gained a lot of weight in a short period of time and have also developed heart palpitations.

Also, I take biotin and didn't realize it could affect lab results.  

the tsh is high.  while the charts have <1.5 as the MAX, if your numbers are truly optimal, it's probably going to be <1. 

t3 uptake, and t4 serum, - means your dr ran blood levels, NOT *free*.   I fired a dr who consistently refused to run the tests (FREE t3 & t4) I asked for.  she eventually acquiesced - but lied to me.  she didn't run the tests I asked for, she ran totals/serum - then claimed my insurance company wouldn't pay for the ones I wanted.  (wouldn't that have been my problem?  the next dr I went to ran them three times that year.  insurance paid each time.)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

while I recommend listening to those who think you should be checked for RA - I would also check the hashimoto's antibody test.  they are both autoimmune diseases (as is lupus) so having symptoms of both is possible, and that is a different treatment because  you have to focus on the autoimmune system itself.

For reference, I am 39 😉

My Dr recently check some other things.

Rheumatoid factor was negative

Dna antibody double strand DSDNA (for lupus) 159 reference range <=200

ENA sjogren b antibody was 4 reference <20

ENA RNP Antibody was 3 reference <20

ANTI JO1 was 2 reference <20

Anti scleroderma 5 reference <20

ENA sjogren A antibody 13 reference <20

Smith antibody 4 reference <20

As far as blood counts are concerned...Platelet 216 reference 140-450 and WBC 4.6 reference 4.0-10.0 (I have lots more CBC results)

I also have crazy bad cholesterol. Genetic factors. MT

Cholesterol 247

HDL 33

Triglycerides <139

LDL 186

Coronary Heart Disease 7.5 reference <4.4

Alipoprotein A 158 reference 0-30

Haven't had D, iron, or anything else tested in a while. I do take 4,000 IU D3 with K a day. Last time she checked my ferritin was almost 3 years ago, it was 8 with a reference of 11-307. Iron was 61 reference 50-170. D was 39 reference 30-100. At that time TSH was 1.29 reference .34-5.60. FT4 was .8 reference .6-1.3. B12 was 458 reference 180-914.

I did see a rheumatologist the first time I had positive ANA. They ran tests and determined I didn't need any further care at that time. Did say if I ever needed to come back, just to call and he'd see me within 2 weeks.

I do like my Dr, but sometimes she is a bit strange. She didn't prescribe me anything for the cholesterol. I don't want to take anything, hut I also don't want to have something happen I can prevent. My grandpa did have multiple heart attacks and stroke. Both parents have high cholesterol. No autoimmune diseases that we know of though.

So hard to tell when I just need to suck it up and do what I can do or when to seek further help. I know so much can be improved by water, dietary changes, and exercise. Why is it so hard to start with the basics at home! :)

Edited by melissamomof5

7 hours ago, soror said:

Where do you see she has thyroid antibodies??? RT3 is ideal 12 and under she is barely above that and her T4 is nearly mid-range. I'd keep an eye on it but I'd not go sky is falling mode with those numbers.

I didn't say anything about "thyroid antibodies." She said her ANA was positive.

Stop the Thyroid Madness says it's problematic when RT3 moves above 11. Hers is 13.5.

She's symptomatic. It's possible that her thyroid function is fine, but that she does have some autoimmune thing going on, in which case diet, such as the Autoimmune Protocol, might really help.

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

Given the fact that you have antibodies, that would indicate Hashimoto's, and autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid.

17 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I didn't say anything about "thyroid antibodies." She said her ANA was positive.

Stop the Thyroid Madness says it's problematic when RT3 moves above 11. Hers is 13.5.

She's symptomatic. It's possible that her thyroid function is fine, but that she does have some autoimmune thing going on, in which case diet, such as the Autoimmune Protocol, might really help.

You said she had antibodies indicating Hashimoto's.

• Like 1