Menu

"Retired" board games that were great!

sheryl

A few months ago I caught the tail end of a news story or such that said this board game is now retired but it was a "top" board game.  I don't remember the source (TV, etc) nor the program.  And, I don't remember the name of the game.  

Do any of you have any recs for "retired" board games that are awesome and fun to play?  I have a few on my list but thought I'd focus on retired ones in case I can find one on Amazon, ebay, etc.

I know there is a board game thread or two but this one is focused on retired board games.  

THANKS!

There's an old card game called Waterworks that's great that we love. You have to connect pipes. It's beyond out of print at this point - I think it was last made in the 80's.

For many, many years I hoarded my copies of Diplomacy and Colonial Diplomacy, but I'm pretty sure it's in print again and has been for a long time. Which reminds me... I should totally get people together and play Diplomacy!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

There's an old card game called Waterworks that's great that we love. You have to connect pipes. It's beyond out of print at this point - I think it was last made in the 80's.

For many, many years I hoarded my copies of Diplomacy and Colonial Diplomacy, but I'm pretty sure it's in print again and has been for a long time. Which reminds me... I should totally get people together and play Diplomacy!

We we still have waterworks. Diplomacy is the best. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Cranium Cariboo, goes for $50-100 on eBay these days.

Wow, I think we have this, hehe. My ds wore the lid every day as a hat for a year or so. :biggrin:

Star Trek Catan isn't that old, but I think it was come and go pretty quickly. I keep meaning to get the Game of Thrones Catan, not because I know anything about GoT but because it will probably do the same thing, poofing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Does this look similar? I wonder if they reprinted it?  https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Moves-Games-1196-Waterworks/dp/B00V82MGZG

• Like 2

Just now, Farrar said:

Yes! I think that's it. That's so funny! It definitely was still out of print a few years ago, but it's not like I've been checking.

People are saying it's not as nice because it doesn't come with the vintage bathtub and that the drawings are computer-rendered (instead of hand-drawn). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

People are saying it's not as nice because it doesn't come with the vintage bathtub and that the drawings are computer-rendered (instead of hand-drawn). 

Yeah, I can see that. There was a tiny metal pipe too. Why change it!? Oh well, the game mechanics themselves are fun. It's worth $10 if you like light strategy card games. Games like this that satisfy some of our desires to have strategy, don't take forever, and aren't too complex, and can travel well, hit a sweet spot for us here because they satisfy multiple people's different gaming desires.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mainer said:

Dang! I saw this at Goodwill yesterday! Going back!

I’d totally go back! If it’s missing the ball pieces you can use bouncy balls and if it’s missing the key you can use a pen cap.

its an awesome game and you can buy themed sets of different cards for it on teachers pay teachers too!

• Like 1

I love Waterworks and Masterpiece, and others that have been mentioned. I always play Bermuda Triangle when I visit my mom.  And Tens. And Made for Trade.  And Destination:Vacation and Travel.  And Merry Motorist Game! My mom made better cards to go with that one.  It’s fun to play A Day with Ziggy.  

My sister is really good at finding old games.  Can’t Stop is one of my favorites from her, and Stop Thief. And because of this thread, I just docvoered there’s a Stop Thief app so I can use my board without having to find a 9-volt battery.  

Master Detective is a family favorite that was just released again.  

• Like 2

Yay!  I'm excited to learn there are so many great board games.  I'm going to take the common ideas from y'all and start there.  Now to find them. I understand some of you have found at Goodwill or such, ebay, etc.  I'll be keeping my eyes open at yard sales, craigslist, ebay, amazon, Nextdoor and any other source. 

• Like 1