Menu

need a dessert suggestion . .

gardenmom5

I invited my sister and brother to dinner on saturday. . .(though I've been asking my self recently why I want to have contact with my brother).

I need a dessert suggestion.  something good, special, etc.   If I was healthier - I'd probably do my chocolate hazelnut christmas tree stump (picture below)   it  is very rich, and will easily serve 20. probably my showiest christmas dessert, but I'm not up to making it.

so, any suggestions?

20141223_164853.jpg

Sopapilla Cheesecake is really easy and versatile. I used to make it for all the parties and potlucks I used to go to. 

I like to put pie filling on top of the cheesecake mixture, then put the top crust on.  
The most popular has been apple pie filling with caramel sauce. Then when it's done cooking, I do a drizzle of caramel sauce on top. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Southern Ivy said:

Sopapilla Cheesecake is really easy and versatile. I used to make it for all the parties and potlucks I used to go to. 

I like to put pie filling on top of the cheesecake mixture, then put the top crust on.  
The most popular has been apple pie filling with caramel sauce. Then when it's done cooking, I do a drizzle of caramel sauce on top. 

thanks for sharing that. The pastry is accidentally vegan & I can use vegan cream cheese .... I think this might be our 'cheesecake like thing' on the 24th. Yay! 

• Like 1

Ice cream pie

you’ll need:

graham cracker crust

vabilla ice cream

hot fudge (or chocolate) and caramel sauce

snickers, crushed pretty small

heavy whipping cream and sugar 

soften ice cream on the counter and mix in chopped up snickers. Drizzle caramel and chocolate sauce on bottom of crust. Spread ice cream on top. Place in freezer for a few hours. Right before serving, take out of freezer and let sit while you whip the cream and sugar. Spread whipped cream over ice cream. Sprinkle more snickers on top and drizzle some more sauce over it. 

It slices better with a knife that has been placed under warm water. All snickers and sauce quantities are eyeballed. 🙂  you could use any candy bar of your choosing but this is what I’ve always used.

Edited by mmasc

1 hour ago, Southern Ivy said:

We love this dessert! It’s also really good with a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of honey. 

• Like 1

Ice cream served in desert dishes with fancy toppings can look special but be low prep. You can either drizzle with store bought chocolate sauce or top with spirit-soaked fruit.  I fancy cookie or sprinkling of nuts or grated chocolate will dress it up.  Homemade whipped cream is an added bonus.

Ok - I thought I'd go ahead and update.   I'm making a white chocolate cake.   I'm not doing the royal icing snowflakes.

I prefer the krogers/fredmeyer white chocolate chips to either ghirardelli or nestle's.  (they use palm kernal oil - no cocoa butter at all.)