Menu

Electric Kettles?

Okra

We've had a few and it was not always price that made the difference. Currently we have VAVA:

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-VAVA-Stainless-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B07C3T57S2/ref=asc_df_B07C3T57S2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241950057305&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15900332197058172417&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032621&hvtargid=pla-523060504483&psc=1

It has held up for 2 years now. We hardly use it in the summer but use it every day from fall to spring. I'd stay away from the ones with plastic housing.

Do you need a basic one or one with temperature settings?

I have a basic one by Braun that is still working after 13 years and I have a Breville kettle that has five temperature settings.  My kids like the temperature settings kettle for making their tea but I kept the basic working kettle as a spare. 

This one is my dream tea maker. I love that I could set up the night before and have perfect tea ready when I got up.  Completely automatic and fool proof. It is also great for entertaining.  When I worked at a tea shop, we used to demo this when we were doing tastings.  But, this is the one I have.  I like the preset temperatures because I like different kinds of teas that need different brewing temperatures (don't you dare put boiling water on my fine oolongs and greens, and if you put that on my matcha, I'd have to smack ya.)  It gets used multiple times a day at our house.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have an audible signal that the water is done. I wish it would give a gentle beep or something to indicate that it has come up to temperature.  Cuz, I get distracted and forget that I put the kettle on.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have an audible signal that the water is done. I wish it would give a gentle beep or something to indicate that it has come up to temperature.  Cuz, I get distracted and forget that I put the kettle on.

Our Breville Temp Select (https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BKE720BSS-Select-Electric-Kettle/dp/B0117NT3ME) loves to beep 🙂 which is useful for my kids. 

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s much difference to be honest.  I have had both ends of the spectrum.  The cheap one did have a shorter lifespan but so did one of our more expensive ones.  I prefer stainless because I don’t like boiling water in plastic but I guess that’s a matter of opinion.

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

This one is my dream tea maker. I love that I could set up the night before and have perfect tea ready when I got up.  Completely automatic and fool proof. It is also great for entertaining.  When I worked at a tea shop, we used to demo this when we were doing tastings.  But, this is the one I have.  I like the preset temperatures because I like different kinds of teas that need different brewing temperatures (don't you dare put boiling water on my fine oolongs and greens, and if you put that on my matcha, I'd have to smack ya.)  It gets used multiple times a day at our house.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have an audible signal that the water is done. I wish it would give a gentle beep or something to indicate that it has come up to temperature.  Cuz, I get distracted and forget that I put the kettle on.

We have the Breville tea maker - it is awesome! Someone on the board recommended it last year. We've used it all day, every day for the past year. Love it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

If you enjoy different kinds of tea, it may be nice to have temp settings as Earl Grey and Black tea is supposed to be brewed hotter than herbal teas.

Actually herbals should be done at boiling.  Black teas (Early Grey is a black tea with bergamot) are usually steeped with boiling water (but I prefer 195  degrees for less bitterness.).  But oolongs, green and white teas need lower temperatures.