Menu

If I get rid of Spectrum cable tv, what are my options?

1GirlTwinBoys

We have fios?fiber? just plain internet and for TV we just watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu for TV/Movies. We watch it through the XBox and sometimes we rent movies on it. We also have a chromecast so we can cast from our computers and phones for things on YouTube or wherever online. 

We haven’t had cable in over a decade and haven’t run out of things to watch. 

We just have an antenna ($40 at Radio Shack) for broadcast channels. Good enough. We are not much on screens. We watch dvds and occasionally stream something (sports) to our not-smart tv with an hdmi cable. We could stream through our Wii, I think, but Dh hasn't bothered to figure it out and do it. 

We pay about $50 a month for pretty fast internet.

Edited by ScoutTN

6 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, your options depend on your area...

We have internet only thru Spectrum for $45.  We have a Roku box.  Through that, we stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Sling.  We actually almost never watch videos on Prime, we just have it for the shipping.  We pay $25 for sling, $8 for Hulu, and $11 for Netflix.  But, there's a bunch of other stuff that can be streamed through the Roku for free.  Like PBS kids.  This weekend, DH and I watched both Ghostbusters movies for free on the Roku channel.   Also, we have an antenna to get regular broadcast channels.

For football.....we are out of the viewing area for our preferred team..........................so we bootleg it when it's not on regular broadcast.  

We're similar but without Sling and with two services that stream British shows. We have a Roku and stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime (which we have for the shipping but we find a lot to watch), AcornTV, and Britbox. We're not sports fans so we didn't have to worry about finding a way to stream games. I looked at Sling but there's nothing there we feel like we just have to have. 

We have Spectrum for internet only. 

We also have a digital antenna and get a whole bunch of local channels. How many channels you get and how well your reception is will depend on where you live. We're at least 40 miles away from most of the "local"  broadcast stations yet we get great reception with our antenna.

It so depends on what your viewing habits are, etc....

I currently have Cable TV, but am looking at dropping it.  I looked at Playstation VUE, Sling, Directv on demand, and YouTube TV.  Youtube is the only one that allows more than 2 viewers to use it at a time.  So, if we go that route, we will be looking at Youtube TV.  This would even allow my college boys to use their own "channel" at college if they wish to.  It allows for 6 devices to view at a time/have their own "channel."

But we may also just go to over the air antenna with our Tivo box (for pausing and recording, it doesn't help with getting more channels), and Netflix.  

I plan to work on this over Thanksgiving break, get my husband to re-hook up the rooftop antenna, get my cable equipment returned, etc.....we have to do something, our bill keeps getting higher and higher.  It is $185 right now and started at around $110, which was far more manageable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DawnM said:

It so depends on what your viewing habits are, etc....

I currently have Cable TV, but am looking at dropping it.  I looked at Playstation VUE, Sling, Directv on demand, and YouTube TV.  Youtube is the only one that allows more than 2 viewers to use it at a time.  So, if we go that route, we will be looking at Youtube TV.  This would even allow my college boys to use their own "channel" at college if they wish to.  It allows for 6 devices to view at a time/have their own "channel."

But we may also just go to over the air antenna with our Tivo box (for pausing and recording, it doesn't help with getting more channels), and Netflix.  

I plan to work on this over Thanksgiving break, get my husband to re-hook up the rooftop antenna, get my cable equipment returned, etc.....we have to do something, our bill keeps getting higher and higher.  It is $185 right now and started at around $110, which was far more manageable.

The bolded and sports coverage are why DH decided to go with YouTubeTV. DS19 has an off campus apartment at his university that includes cable TV, but he prefers to use YouTubeTV. I have no idea why, but . . . whatever, it works out fine.