Menu

Need ideas for munchies/food for fall open house

Ottakee

Saturday we are having an open house type thing at our new house.  Very low key 4-7pm, invite friends to see our new house and meet some neighbors.  I am expecting 20-30 people....but could be more or less.  It is a come and go thing, not a stay the entire time type party.

It will be mid to upper 40s outside and likely rain.  

I am looking for super simple, inexpensive, can be prepared ahead, hands off during the party type foods.

I was thinking chips and cheese dip, Chez mix, warm apple cider, pop, and ??????   I had thought of chili and might do that but the neighbor across the road is hosting a similar thing tomorrow (neither knew of the others until invites went out).

I know it is over dinner but invitation mentioned munchies so no expectation of a meal.

Congrats on your new house! 

I think people will be hungry at that hour as well. Frozen meatballs in a crockpot are easy and pretty cheap, homemade popcorn is filling, a tortellini salad goes a long way. 

Bread goes a long way to filling people up cheaply. You could do pizza bread, cheesy bread. 

I've done a big jelly roll type pan of nachos before, cutting the cooked taco meat with beans and covering with cheese. But these do need heated at the time and don't hold up as well as crockpot type foods. You can do the taco meat ahead though. 

Other soups could work too- white chicken chili? 

Edited by Toocrazy!!
Clarification
  • Like 1

I've done pepperoni bread (easiest way - get the tub pizza crust flatten it out, cheese, pepperoni, whatever else, jelly roll it, brush egg, bake, slice to serve, serve with pizza sauce)

Mexican rollups (lots of recipe variations - these freeze well if you haven't sliced them.

Maybe a long sliced sub sandwich? 

A variety of dips (warm), chips, crackers? 

26 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I've done pepperoni bread (easiest way - get the tub pizza crust flatten it out, cheese, pepperoni, whatever else, jelly roll it, brush egg, bake, slice to serve, serve with pizza sauce)

I do this with sausage and everyone loves it.  I use a tube of French Bread dough, one pound of cooked sausage crumbles, and one bag of shredded mozzarella.  

I always like to munch on pickles and carrots, and they're both cheap and easy. 

What does your neighbor having an event have to do with serving chili or not? Are you just thinking it might be too much food? I would do the chili because it's easy to make a lot and leftovers can go right in the freezer. 

Hot cocoa in the crock pot. 

16 minutes ago, katilac said:

I always like to munch on pickles and carrots, and they're both cheap and easy. 

What does your neighbor having an event have to do with serving chili or not? Are you just thinking it might be too much food? I would do the chili because it's easy to make a lot and leftovers can go right in the freezer. 

Hot cocoa in the crock pot. 

Just that quite a few of the people will overlap between the 2 get together ?

Bacon wrapped smokies:

1 pkg of little smokies sausages

1/2 pkg of bacon

cinnamon sugar

Cut the bacon in half

Wrap 1/2 piece of bacon around the sausage and secure with toothpick

sprinkle with cinnamon sugar

bake in oven 350 for about 25 min. (I think that's what I do - the actual recipe has less cooking time, but I like the bacon crisper)

Serve warm or room temperature

I line a cookie sheet with foil and put racks on it, then put the sausages on the racks to bake - it makes for more even cooking and easy cleanup

• Like 1