Menu

Okay ladies what is your best heartburn relief advice

lynn

I had heartburn with the last child. Drinking water resulted in heartburn. Everything resulted in heartburn. Doctor recommended Tums - no help. I'd have her ask her doctor.

I did get relief after baby was born. Probably not the answer you were looking for though. 

She could try one of those incline pillows to prop her up during sleep or sleep in a recliner if she has one.  I am sure she is already avoiding caffeine, spicy foods, fried or fatty foods, chocolate, tomatoes and other heartburn instigators?

They make a new tums called chewy delights which is double the strength of the ultra tums and works really fast.  It says on my package that pregnant women can have up to 4 a day.  Some people get relief from chewing gum or a glass of milk.  Milk actually makes mine worse though.

Definitely small meals and not lying down right after eating.  Don't drink too much after the last meal either.  If none of that helps she may need medication but I don't know what she has tried that is safe for pregnancy.  

How long has it been going on, and is anything providing any relief?  If it is relentless and nothing is helping, and she can describe it is stabbing, burning, upper right quadrant pain (possibly even pain in the right shoulder), she needs to be seen at L&D and evaluated for HELLP Syndrome.  It is a variant that falls under the preeclampsia umbrella and requires delivery soon. They would need to check her liver enzymes and platelets. Blood pressure does not need to be high for it to be HELLP.

Now, hopefully it’s just nasty heartburn. Btdt in late pregnancy a couple of times. Small meals, avoiding acidic things like spaghetti sauce, maybe eating yogurt — those were helpful to me. But I wanted to make sure she knows about HELLP. 

• Like 1

cut out butter, sugar, spicy food.

then - 1/2 tsp baking soda in warm water.

if it's a meal that just won't digest - water with lots of lemon juice - no sugar.   (I know it sounds counter intuitive, but for that kind of indigestion,, it's helped me.)

Papaya enzymes, Tums, and unsweetened almond milk (organic tasted the best) helped me. Avoid spicy foods, ice cream, tomato-based dishes, etc. Don't lie down right after eating. I've had it pretty badly with all six of mine, but my last pregnancy wasn't as brutal as the others. I drank a lot of almond milk this past time, especially before going to bed and it really seemed to help.