Menu

James' or James's

James' or James's  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you teach?

• James'
    • James's

James’s. It looks odd, but it is grammatically correct, as in St James’s Park of London. And the more you use it, the less odd it looks! And we do say both ‘s’ sounds in James’s, so it reflects the pronounciation.

I believe the exception is when the final s is not pronounced, so it would be Albert Camus’ writings. Or the writings of Albert Camus to avoid the issue altogether. 

• Like 1

We have a mom and pop grocery store in town called James' Super Saver. They spell it with the apostrophe but without the additional s. It is locally referred to as just James' (/james-is/ as in the possessive pronunciation) It has never struck me as wrong but I've never really put a lot of thought into it either. But as the others have said either is correct as long as you are consistent.

• Like 1

DD has to decide on whether she's going to use the s's or s' for a name in one of her books. We've had these very discussions. She's leaning toward s's even though in her case you don't pronounce both ses. (Example: say a guy's name is Trucks. Trucks's or Trucks') 

• Like 1

According to my Rod and Staff English handbook:

When singular nouns ending with an s or z sound have only one syllable or have the accent on the last syllable, add 's. But if the last syllable is unaccented, add only an apostrophe. This rule prevents awkwardness in pronunciation.

spouse's rights        James's letter
Moses' brother         Lazarus' death
Bernice's room          Lopez' presidency

ABeka's handbook is slightly different:

To form the possessive case of a singular noun, first write the singular spelling of the word. Then add an apostrophe and s ('s.)

woman's shoe; cat's paw; Muir's writings; Hertz's answer; Burns's poems; Richards's novel; Charles's theory.

Exception: The following may be correctly writen by adding the apostrophe only: (1) Ancient proper names ending in -es, (2) the name Jesus; and (3) such expressions as "for conscience' sake:"

Socrates' pupil; Pericles' role; Aristophanes' comedies; Moses' rod; Jesus' birth; for righteousness' sake; for conscience' sake; for goodness' sake.

*I* would write "James's," partly because that's how I actually pronounce it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, underthebridge said:

James’s. It looks odd, but it is grammatically correct, as in St James’s Park of London. 

It is funny that you bring up this particular example because there is a St James's Park of London and a St James' Park in Newcastle (a stadium). So apparently there is a big controversy over which is correct. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/articles/2008/05/30/st_james_apostrophe_feature.shtml 

• Like 1

I definitely learned the second.  My maiden name ended in an s so I know how I was taught.

But I don’t think it is a big deal.  I see the other way frequently, and I know some people do not like how the extra “s” looks.

As far as how the word is pronounced — it depends on who is saying it!  For my maiden name, people say it with or without the extra s.  Some people will emphasize the second syllable without totally adding the possessive s, but they are changing the stress and it’s clear it means possessive.