Menu

Do you think this is a great idea or a horrible idea? Drug tests for teens

Ginevra

Do you/would you routinely drug test your children?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Drug testing?

• Not routinely with unsuspicious kids
    • Yes routinely, suspicious or not
    • I would do it once or twice if suspect
    • I would never do it under any circumstance
    • Other

On 9/18/2018 at 7:07 PM, Pen said:

Yes.  

drugs are a common problem for the teen ages— So normalization of checking to see if there is a problem allowing more proactive dealing with it if there is.  I would not like it to be mandatory, but easy to have happen and not considered a big deal which would lead to dc feeling mistrusted any more than dental check should make a teen feel the adult is accusing them of oral care wrongdoing. 

DD’s pediatrician does drug testing routinely starting at about age 11. It’s required for sports physicals for school teams for middle and high school, and that way she can sign off on that form if needed. It doesn’t seem to bother DD-it was just one more thing that “oh, ypu’re X age, so we start doing Y”.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dmmetler said:

DD’s pediatrician does drug testing routinely starting at about age 11. It’s required for sports physicals for school teams for middle and high school, and that way she can sign off on that form if needed. It doesn’t seem to bother DD-it was just one more thing that “oh, ypu’re X age, so we start doing Y”.

It does not seem to be required where we are so far as I know. But I guess some places it is. 9 to 11 seems like an age that starts to get targeted by dealers in some places (could even be younger I guess.)

• Like 1

I suspect requiring it on the physical form lets the school check the box for “we test athletes for drugs” and pushes the expense off to parents/insurance companies. And since the screens are listed on the bloodwork profile (along with checking blood sugar, iron, etc), even if kids cheat on the urine, it seems more likely drug use will be detected. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

If a teen developed an unhealthy drug habit they would start giving signs. A teen is going to be an adult in a few years. I see no reason to police them and break their trust like that if there were no suspicions. Micromanaging is not going to help them become independent.  I think being open and honest and keeping the lines of communication open and judgement free and modeling is a better way to encourage them not to use substances irresponsibly. 

Edited by MistyMountain

• 2 weeks later...

One of the parents of another kid on the archery team that middle daughter and her now husband were on decided to take her son in for a blood test when he came home drunk and claimed he was just sick.  She's a nurse, so she knew it was an obviously lie, but I assume the reason for the test was to put an end to any arguing on his part.  He was about 16 then.  No, it didn't ruin their relationship or his future.  He's 23, engaged to another med student, and in medical school now studying to become a neurologist.  It seems to be the level of accountability he needed at the right time to set him straight.

I wouldn't even consider it with a kid who showed no signs of drug use.  I would if my kid's behavior indicated drug use was a reasonable possibility.  You cannot effectively deal with things that go unidentified. And yes, I would have a plan in place to get professional help if it came back positive

• 11 months later...
On 9/18/2018 at 8:07 PM, Pen said:

Yes.  

drugs are a common problem for the teen ages— So normalization of checking to see if there is a problem allowing more proactive dealing with it if there is.  I would not like it to be mandatory, but easy to have happen and not considered a big deal which would lead to dc feeling mistrusted any more than dental check should make a teen feel the adult is accusing them of oral care wrongdoing. 

So regular checks by doctors, not by moms.  Makes sense in a way.  My kids are extra careful with braces and brushing because their orthodontist is going to check and get on their case. If I see regular speed traps, it makes me more aware of my own speed. So regular checks could be enough to make some kids rethink trying it.  Or give them a valid excuse to their peers to say oh I can’t try that, my doc tests for that. 

Sounds like a sure fire way to kill a budding teen parent relationship that is evolving to a young adult parent relationship.  I don't doubt there might be circumstances this may be a good idea.  But routinely for kids that have shown no trust issues?  Completely bizarre. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sahrenity12 said:

I find this ridiculous.  It's policing behavior.  It violates trust.   This is not what a loving relationship should look like.  But drugs is a real problem. It's not a joke especially for teens. They can't control themselves and predict consequency of drug,alchogol usage. If you see any signals you should act as fast as possible. My friends son had problems with drugs, now he is on rehab ---- link deleted ----- I hope you and your families and friends won't face problems with drugs, it's really scarry. 

ZOOMBIE spam.  reported.

Edited by gardenmom5