Menu

Belated birthday parties - Question :-)

mlktwins

My boys turned 13 in June and 13 is kind of a milestone year :-).  They do not have a kid party every year and it has been a few years since they've had one.  They usually do something fun with a friend or two (movie, bowling, etc) each year and get a nice dinner with family (they are the only kids on both sides of the family) and a few gifts.  This year we were planning to do a party.  I was hoping for a nice, air-conditioned escape room type thing (middle of summer), but they REALLY, REALLY want to do paint ball.  We have a great place for that about 20 minutes away.  The problem at the time was it was VERY hot (105 degree heat index hot) and they really should wear long shirts and pants, gloves, and a helmet to play.  They also do summer swim (that wouldn't have been a problem though) and they did All Star baseball for the first time and the tournament fell on their b-day weekend.  I promised them and they agreed to delay the party until it was a little cooler.  I was thinking the end of this month or early October).

My question is do you think it's weird to do this 3 months later?  Would you be ok with getting an invitation for your kid to come to a belated b-day party -- LOL?  Now I feel kind of funny doing it so late.  I know, 3rd world problems :-).  They have a dozen or so friends through sports and a couple of closer friends that they would want to invite.  The other thing that was a BIG factor this summer was their friendship with their best friend ended (because my friendship with his mom imploded - long story) and he was on swim team.  We would felt funny inviting other friends and not inviting him and that wasn't going to happen.  I wasn't asking and she wouldn't have let him come.  It was a pretty rough summer on all 3 of us because of that situation and a tough lesson for all of us.

Anyway, now that you've heard my tale of woe, I would appreciate your thoughts :-).     

Edited by mlktwins
corrected a detail :-)

no.  go for it.  my sil has a pool, and mostly summer babies.  they would have pool parties every year..   and her december baby - wanted to do pool parties every year too . . so, they did her birthdays in june.

my other sil would do her dd's bd in the summer too (or maybe it was valentine's), since they shared a bd along with paternal grandpa.

• Like 1