Menu

Pedicures

DawnM

I was hesitant to go to those nail places.  I always worried about infections, bacteria, etc.....but my friend talked me into it.  That was about 3 years ago.  I have probably gone 3 or 4 times since then.

And I firmly believe that is how I ended up with these stupid warts on the bottom of my feet!  I was perfectly fine before I started going to get Pedicures.  

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!  I hate them!

You may have a point. I never had anything wrong with my toenails or the skin on my feet until I started getting pedicures when a friend suggested it. Now I need to see a dermatologist (which I am procrastinating about) because my nails and skin are all jeffed up. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DawnM said:

And I firmly believe that is how I ended up with these stupid warts on the bottom of my feet!  I was perfectly fine before I started going to get Pedicures.  

Are you sure they are warts?  

I thought I had gotten a plantar wart on my foot.   My primary care doctor even used liquid nitrogen on it.  But I ended up going to a podiatrist who told me it was a seed corn.  

Do you want to read something really gross?  I saw this story recently about a woman who started losing her toenails after a FISH pedicure!   I've never been to a nail salon for anything, and I know I would feel too squeamish and too guilty to have fish chewing on my feet!  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-lost-her-toenails-after-fish-pedicure-doctor-says/ 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Are you sure they are warts?  

I thought I had gotten a plantar's wart on my foot.   My primary care doctor even used liquid nitrogen on it.  But I ended up going to a podiatrist who told me it was a seed corn.  

Do you want to read something really gross?  I saw this story recently about a woman who started losing her toenails after a FISH pedicure!   I've never been to a nail salon for anything, and I know I would feel too squeamish and too guilty to have fish chewing on my feet!  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-lost-her-toenails-after-fish-pedicure-doctor-says/ 

I saw that fish pedicure story, too — YUCK!!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Wow.  I’ve had probably fifty pedicures in the last two years and never had a single issue.

Ditto. I go faithfully every 2-4 weeks (have since I was a teenager), and I've never had an issue.

• Like 2

Dd is convinced it was the pedicure that left her with plantar's wart on her foot, too. That dang thing cost us HUNDREDS of dollars  to remove because we chose the slow method instead of the cut-it-out way. She was unable to run or do much walking all last summer because of it! She won't go back now. Can't say I blame her. 

• Sad 1

I am convinced my kid picked up warts on his feet from a Burger King indoor playland when he was little. They resolved after about two years

Re nail salons--hygiene is number one, and there are a lot of places where the salon can fail. For the past three years, I've had my nails done every two weeks and get regular pedicures. I've never had an issue, but I know my person is obsessive about cleanliness. I didn't know that though when I began seeing her.

My friend has a disgusting story about her mall manicure--they cut her cuticle slightly, she began bleeding, and they put the tool right back into the drawer. She's never gone back, and she's a little gunshy about going anywhere now.

I used to go monthly....and then slacked.  Now, I go to a place near my Mom's house.   They use plastic liners in the foot baths, which are thrown away after each client.  They also use disposable tools or autoclaved tools.  (Most are disposable.)   It makes me feel better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, umsami said:

I used to go monthly....and then slacked.  Now, I go to a place near my Mom's house.   They use plastic liners in the foot baths, which are thrown away after each client.  They also use disposable tools or autoclaved tools.  (Most are disposable.)   It makes me feel better.

Yes, so does this place!

I thought they all did.  

• Like 1

About 15 years ago (can't believe that it's been that long!), I got a horrible plantar wart from a pedicure several years ago. It was so deeply embedded that I had to have surgery and spent a month on bed rest. I refused to go again for a long time.

A few years ago, I started having regular pedicures once again. I go to a place that I trust and that's clean, as far as I can tell. I also make a point of being the first customer for the morning. Not sure if that helps or not, but hopefully, things have been sterilized overnight. Hopefully!

I once read that one should bring Clorox wipes or something like that and insist that the therapist wipe everything down first. But that's not the type of person that I am. I'm shy about insisting on things. They play the worst, absolute worst music there and I'm too nice to even complain about that. I need to learn to be more assertive.