Menu

Non Academic Skills to Learn

I'm trying to put together a list of non-academic general life skills it's good to learn before leaving home.

Things like...

• How to do your own laundry
  • How to iron a shirt/pants
  • Various other chores (dishes, sweeping, mopping, cleaning a toilet, etc.)
  • How to cook simple meals
  • How to write a check and balance a checkbook
  • How to do simple car maintenance (like checking oil)
  • How to change a lightbulb

So, you don't have to complete my list (there's more on it in my head anyways), but I'd love suggestions of more things to add to this.  

• Like 1

So I don’t have most of those skills myself ? but my goals are: basic cleaning (sweep/mop/wipe/change sheets), learning 5 recipes, and navigating trains/subways/being lost. I’m pleased to say the later seems to have been accomplished by necessity this summer. 

• Like 1

I would add basic budgeting, an understanding of compound interest, some teaching about credit cards (including what to do about card fraud) to your financial skills/knowledge list. 

How to run and lawnmower and a weed eater. 

Simple hand sewing like replacing a button or repairing a torn hem. 

• Like 2

How to plan and host a gathering, including inviting people.

How to track birthdays, anniversaries, etc. And recognize them appropriately, sending cards or gifts.

How to sustain a friendship.

How to manage time to balance errands, housework, schooling, etc.

How to assess and work on a holistic balance of care for body, mind, emotions and soul.

How to assess and maintain boundaries with other people.

How to spot red flags in toxic people and what to do about them, and how to end a friendship, if needed.

How to healthily and constructively resolve conflict.

Clear communication skills, including speaking a prepared piece and speaking extemporaneously. Also understanding of the contributions of body language, facial expression and tone to communication. Also managing communication in relationships, and how not to be passive aggressive...

How to critically assess an information source, how to spot sponsored content online and what that means.

How to write a resume and apply for a job, including that "job hunting" does not mean submitting one application at one company and waiting to hear back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Memorize social security number - and know that it doesn't have to be given most places that request it (doctors, for example)

How to make polite phone calls - including to businesses  

How to make a bank/credit union deposit and withdrawal, both in person and via ATM

How to set up direct deposit of paychecks to bank/credit union accounts

How to fill a gas tank and pay both at the pump and inside

How to check oil and add window washer fluid in the car

How to change a tire and/or know which road service provider to call for help

• Like 2

How to unclog a toilet. I had a horrifying toilet overflow situation the first year I lived alone (a friend had come over to visit and attempted to flush a plastic tampon applicator down the toilet). I try never to think of it, but I am glad I knew how to turn off the toilet water and how to unclog it. ?

• Like 3

--How to do your taxes. So many people I know have their parents do this and it blows my mind. Like, 25 year olds! It is not hard unless you have a business with physical assets or are making crazy interest.

--How to troubleshoot a computer. Like, how electronics work on a very basic level, power versus memory, input vs output, keyboard  vs screen.

--How to get a job or at least try. Resume, follow up, interview, thank you notes, and so on.

--how to use social services and the medical system. 

How to shut off the main water valve and main electric outlet to the house in an emergency.  

How to read a map.  

How to paint a room properly.  

Basic gardening.

How to clean out the dryer lint duct from dryer to outside of house.

How to change out water lines to the washer.

How to replace faucets, sinks, garbage disposals, lighting fixtures, appliances, and toilet bulb kits.  

'How to make an apple pie and see the world (j/k), hehe!! 

• Like 1