Menu

s/o: grocery bags and marketing

I assume the reason the stores are willing to sell the bags for .99 is that the price is supplemented by the advertising. You can certainly purchase plain ones, but they will likely be more expensive.

This one, for example -- http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bagsâ„¢-earthtoteâ„¢-reusable-shopping-p-10.html -- is a little larger than the ones I've bought for .99 at my local grocery store. It looks really nice, and it's $5 (on sale).

I love my reusable bags. I got some at Wal-Mart and I got some at Kennies (a grocery store around here--don't think they're nationwide.) The Kennie's ones are better because they retain a shape. The Wal-Mart ones flop over. But it's not a big deal.

Mostly I love that they don't make that annoying crinkly sound, and the handles don't dig into my hands when I'm carrying a heavy bag. And they fit a lot more stuff in them that the plastic ones. I can easily put 2 gallons of milk in one bag.

But I still get plastic bags every now and then to use as trash bags for the little trash cans around the house.

I would like to get some canvas grocery bags. All the stores have them now for 99 cents. But I would like plain ones and the store bags all have their logos on them. Has anyone seen plain ones?

TIA!

I've been considering the same thing. I found some nice bags (without logos) online, but they are definitely more expensive. 'Course, I'm being picky. I want the bags that have handles *and* the little loop thingy so that they can hang open on the store's bagging rack. I also want them to have the hard bottom panel thing that flips down to make the bottom of the bag more solid and square, and I also want to have no advertising on the bag (that's a pet peeve of mine!)

I'm considering some bags I found at Amazon. They are about twice the price of the cheaper bags I've seen sold by stores, but they have all of the features I'm looking for. There is a logo, but it's tiny.

http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Grocery-Tote-Lavander-Pack/dp/B0019CTFOA/ref=pd_bxgy_misc_text_b

I assume the reason the stores are willing to sell the bags for .99 is that the price is supplemented by the advertising. You can certainly purchase plain ones, but they will likely be more expensive.

This one, for example -- http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bagsâ„¢-earthtoteâ„¢-reusable-shopping-p-10.html -- is a little larger than the ones I've bought for .99 at my local grocery store. It looks really nice, and it's $5 (on sale).

I have the bags linked in the above post. They are so much nicer than the ones the stores are selling for .99

I've had mine for 6 years now and you would never know they are that old. They look brand new and they stand up on their own without the little things the .99 ones use to hook it to the plastic bag rack to get them to stay up and open while packing. They are also made of much thicker material and the handles are much more substantial than the .99 ones. I know they are much more expensive but I have 10 of them and they are sturdy enough to hold everything when I go shopping for our family of 5.

We've used them for everything from normal daily shopping (at all stores not just groceries) as well as to hold things while we're on vacation or when we go to the beach etc.

HTH

I just use a collection of canvas bags I have accumulated over the years.. One I got for free from a Body Shop purchase, one is an LLBean-style tote, I have one from my local library, etc etc.

If you're looking for plain, I know some craft stores like Michael's have plain canvas totes that are inexpensive (and you can decorate yourself if you want) but I'm not sure the sizes they have available.

Good luck :)

I'm considering some bags I found at Amazon. They are about twice the price of the cheaper bags I've seen sold by stores, but they have all of the features I'm looking for. There is a logo, but it's tiny.

http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Grocery-Tote-Lavander-Pack/dp/B0019CTFOA/ref=pd_bxgy_misc_text_b

Oh, colors, how pretty! I don't think my guys would do lavendar, but I'm liking these bags.

I also bought a few big tote like purses from Goodwill. I even bought a beach bag tote to use. I will throw those in the car when I am just out shopping, not for groceries. I use those as bags when i don't want to drag around my Wal-mart totes.

Thanks, Julie! I like those. The colors leave a bit to be desired. I am LOL imagining my dh using lavender bags!

Oh, colors, how pretty! I don't think my guys would do lavendar, but I'm liking these bags.

I also bought a few big tote like purses from Goodwill. I even bought a beach bag tote to use. I will throw those in the car when I am just out shopping, not for groceries. I use those as bags when i don't want to drag around my Wal-mart totes.

The ones on amazon come in black, orange and olive green in addition to the lavendar.....much more "manly" colors.

Of course, my DD - who hunts - would prefer the "camo" bags!:lol:

The ones on amazon come in black, orange and olive green in addition to the lavendar.....much more "manly" colors.

Of course, my DD - who hunts - would prefer the "camo" bags!:lol:

Camo bags, how fun. Then the guys could do all their hunting at the grocery store. "Look mom, I bagged a gallon of ice cream." :lol::lol: