Menu

how long does math take your 6th grader?

caedmyn

My oldest is a slow worker, but strong in math.  We set a time of 60 min in 6th grade (she was using AOPS preA) but then changed to a certain amount of problems (which took her longer).  DS is not as strong in math, but still pretty good, and in 6th grade I set a 45 min length of time for because he's a faster worker.  He also used AOPS preA.  They both took 1.5 years to get through PreA.

Well let's see, that depends on:

1) how many glasses of water he needs during math

2) how many trips to the bathroom from aforesaid water

3) how many times he stops a problem to harass a sibling

4) how much time it takes to find the right one, pencil, paper, page number, etc..

5) how many times he stops to ask me a question totally unrelated to his math assignment

Basically anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half.  But seriously I only assign like 30-45 minutes worth of work at that age. The rest is on him lol..

We have used a variety of resources over 6th grade (Math Mammoth, Key to series, and now some Lials)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, CaliforniaDreamin said:

Well let's see, that depends on:

1) how many glasses of water he needs during math

2) how many trips to the bathroom from aforesaid water

3) how many times he stops a problem to harass a sibling

4) how much time it takes to find the right one, pencil, paper, page number, etc..

5) how many times he stops to ask me a question totally unrelated to his math assignment

Basically anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half.  But seriously I only assign like 30-45 minutes worth of work at that age. The rest is on him lol..

We have used a variety of resources over 6th grade (Math Mammoth, Key to series, and now some Lials)

It's like you are describing my daughter.

We set a timer here. She works for an hour unless she's having a "bad math day" and it becomes clear that learning is just not going to occur. Then we just close up shop and work on something else. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often. In 6th, she was doing AoPS Preagebra. As someone else said, it took us about a year and a half. 

• Like 1

45 minutes to an hour at a time.  Like the children of previous posters he is easily distracted.  On days where he seems to have made little effort, I have him work on math again later in the day.  Little effort means more time spent in the bathroom, getting a drink, dropping pencils, commenting on brother's lessons, etc. than applying himself to math.  He is doing AOPS Prealgebra.

14 hours ago, blondeviolin said:

Forty-five minutes for my oldest, but that's because she's SLOW.  (She's actually a slow worker with everything.)  She just finished Saxon 76 last week.  Next fall she will use 87.

Is she able to do the mental math, lesson, lesson practice, and the mixed practice in this amount of time? This sounds fast to me. 

My dd is in 8/7 and we are now splitting the lessons between two days because the lessons were just taking way too long. 

On 4/27/2018 at 6:23 AM, Minerva said:

Is she able to do the mental math, lesson, lesson practice, and the mixed practice in this amount of time? This sounds fast to me. 

My dd is in 8/7 and we are now splitting the lessons between two days because the lessons were just taking way too long. 

No. She does not do the mental math, we do the lesson and lesson practice together. She does half the problems from the mixed practice. 

• Like 1