Menu

Dance Parents

LizzyBee

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is she going to the 5 week NYC intensive?   Are you going to accompany her there for the summer?   How did she like SAB last year?   Did she do the full 5 weeks in NYC last year too? 

Yes, like last year, she will attend the 5-week SI while staying in the dorm in Lincoln Center. She absolutely loved her experience last year. She’s a strong extrovert who really bonded with her 6 suite mates and took full advantage of every excursion and outing they offered. One of her friends was a NYC local and by the end of the summer my DD was very comfortable traveling all over Manhattan via subway. She grew so much both personally and technically/artistically. It was a transformative summer for her in many ways. The supervision was excellent and they (and, thus, I) knew where she was every single minute. 

I have heard some horror stories about kids experimenting and getting into trouble while at residence programs (more applicable to year-round students, I think), but you just need to know thy child; some kids will find trouble wherever they look, but my DD is just not one of those kids. She’s unusually mature, goal-driven, and very secure in her values. I have no such concerns about her. Now, one of my other kids— I would never send her off to NYC as a 13-year old (or 14 or 15...). 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2018 at 10:50 AM, edelweiss said:

How good an intensive is can be somewhat subjective. What is good for one person, might not be good for another.  And what might be a good intensive for someone one year, might not be good for them another year at a different point in their training. You honestly need to assess each intensive each year to see if it is what you "need" that year.

That being said, there is definitely a hierarchy of intensives as far as prestige goes.  The top tier includes all of the "three-letter programs" like ABT (American Ballet Theatre), PNB (Pacific Northwest Ballet), SAB (School of American Ballet), and SFB (San Francisco Ballet).  Other top programs include Miami City Ballet, Houston Ballet, Boston Ballet, and Chautauqua Institute.  There are also top International programs such as Paris Opera Ballet, Royal Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, and Royal Winnipeg Ballet.

These are all fabulous programs, but sometimes smaller less "prestigious" programs can be a better fit.  The main thing is that the program is addressing whatever the dancer needs to work on at that time and that she is getting enough attention and corrections.  There are definitely some smaller, less known, hidden gems out there. And one well-known program with very solid training doesn't even require auditions at all.

My daughter has gone to 4 different intensives at this point. She went to two different programs her first two summers. Then her third summer she did two programs, neither which were the same as the first two summers. Her fourth summer she went to one of the same programs that she did her third summer. This summer she will be attending that same intensive (for the third year) as well as adding a completely new one. So, after this summer, she will have attended 5 different intensives.

As far as what is "done", that varies as well.  Some people love an intensive so much that they keep returning to the same one each year.  Others go to a different intensive every year.  There really is no wrong answer.  If an intensive is helping a dancer grow and improve every year and it is one that she enjoys, there is no reason not to continue going there.  However, if someone wants to sample different intensives and styles, that is okay too.  

No, you don't need to stick with Balanchine style intensives.  There are some people who believe that it is best to stick with the same style of ballet when a child is young, so it doesn't confuse them, but then it is great to expose them to other styles as they get older, so that they can get more well-rounded.  Others think it is fine for them to take other styles when they are young.  Your daughter's teachers might have an opinion about that.  My daughter has taken intensives in ABT-style, Balanchine, and hybrid styles.  This summer she will be studying at one Balanchine intensive and one Vaganova. Vaganova is what she studies at her home studio.

To learn more about specific intensives, you might want to check out a board called Ballet Talk for Dancers.  It has a ton of information, but it can be a bit overwhelming.  I should also warn you that they are super super strict over there.  They do not allow any comparison between programs at all. The moderators seem to be omnipresent and are quick to reprimand people for discussing things in the "wrong" way.  Just a warning! Still, you can learn a lot by reading over there.

Fire away with any other questions you may have!

Which one is this?  I thought it was RWB, but just wanted to check. 

I reached out to Washington Ballet and they never responded.  Boo.    It has been over a week.  Honestly that turns me off of that program.  I have contacted a lot of other big places ABT, SAB, Ballet Chicago,The Rock, and on and on.  I have heard back so fast.   Miami City Ballet did that too and I just gave up. 

A few yays, the school we are in I just heard that day for the performance is a different day, so maybe it will work out.  They are in another one that usually conflicts with it.  Hopefully they get to do it!  I got odd moved in one show to a different group so she wouldn't have to mix 6 weeks of ballet at school.  It is younger, but oh well.  It isn't as important as the Ballet School.  

Odd started on pointe this week.  

One of my middle dd started pre-pointe this week. 

OH and because I am so done with winter, I wish I would have known about the Ballet Hawaii SI.  That would have been dreamy. 

Edited by mommyoffive

I am not terribly familiar with RWB's program at all, so I hate to lead you in the wrong direction, but, in general,  I would tend to avoid anything that says "recreational" since it seems like your children are advancing beyond that category.  It sounds like your home program would be a better fit than a program designated as "recreational."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edelweiss said:

I am not terribly familiar with RWB's program at all, so I hate to lead you in the wrong direction, but, in general,  I would tend to avoid anything that says "recreational" since it seems like your children are advancing beyond that category.  It sounds like your home program would be a better fit than a program designated as "recreational."

Bummer.  I have talked to my kids about this program for awhile, ds has wanted to do it since last year.  I didn't notice it said recreational until yesterday.  I just found out our school is only doing 3 weeks this summer.  I am going to have to find something else. 

How much class time do you think girls just getting on pointe should get a week?   Our school changed it last year and I just wanted to check and see what you all thought? 

Ugh.  Our home school is also changing the summer intensives.  It used to be geared towards older students, with a youngest age of 12.  Than last year it was youngest age of 10, but still geared towards older students.   This year it is going to only be for ages 9-14.  They want older students to leave for summer.    Now it is fine for my ages of kids, but I just worry it is going to be challenging for my older 2.   I just found this out after I decided that is what we were going to do was to stay home and use one of the 4 schools around us for SIs.  

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

How much class time do you think girls just getting on pointe should get a week?   Our school changed it last year and I just wanted to check and see what you all thought? 

Ugh.  Our home school is also changing the summer intensives.  It used to be geared towards older students, with a youngest age of 12.  Than last year it was youngest age of 10, but still geared towards older students.   This year it is going to only be for ages 9-14.  They want older students to leave for summer.    Now it is fine for my ages of kids, but I just worry it is going to be challenging for my older 2.   I just found this out after I decided that is what we were going to do was to stay home and use one of the 4 schools around us for SIs.  

I would say that girls starting pointe should ideally have a minimum of three 1.5 hour technique classes per week in addition to a beginning pointe class once a week. When mine was 11 and newish to pointe she took four tech classes per week and had pointe twice a week after tech class for an hour.

57 minutes ago, lovelearnandlive said:

I would say that girls starting pointe should ideally have a minimum of three 1.5 hour technique classes per week in addition to a beginning pointe class once a week. When mine was 11 and newish to pointe she took four tech classes per week and had pointe twice a week after tech class for an hour.

Sorry, I meant just pointe.  The girls who are just going up only have it once a week and it is only 30 mins.  Just checking if that is an ok amount.   They are supposed to go to 4 tech classes a week at 1.5 hours each.  My dd goes to 2 extra tech classes so 6, 1.5 hours tech classes. 

22 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Sorry, I meant just pointe.  The girls who are just going up only have it once a week and it is only 30 mins.  Just checking if that is an ok amount.   They are supposed to go to 4 tech classes a week at 1.5 hours each.  My dd goes to 2 extra tech classes so 6, 1.5 hours tech classes. 

Ah, gotcha. That’s a good schedule! I’d say that if she’s just starting out, once a week is pretty typical, but by summer and for next fall she will want to do more than that. What does the pointe schedule for the next level look like at your studio?

2 minutes ago, lovelearnandlive said:

Ah, gotcha. That’s a good schedule! I’d say that if she’s just starting out, once a week is pretty typical, but by summer and for next fall she will want to do more than that. What does the pointe schedule for the next level look like at your studio?

I will have to go and ask.  I think she might be at this level a year or so.  Normally this level for a year or year and half.   I think the next level they have their pointe shoes on for part of every class.  But I am not sure what part that is.  

Good to hear that you think it is enough.  They changed it this year.  The girls last year were getting a lot more pointe.  But maybe it isn't anything to be worried about. 

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I will have to go and ask.  I think she might be at this level a year or so.  Normally this level for a year or year and half.   I think the next level they have their pointe shoes on for part of every class.  But I am not sure what part that is.  

Good to hear that you think it is enough.  They changed it this year.  The girls last year were getting a lot more pointe.  But maybe it isn't anything to be worried about. 

I bet during summer she will get more pointe. If her schedule has her going back to one pointe class a week in the fall, you might want to check with her instructor and see what they suggest, depending on the progress she has made by then. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 11:12 AM, edelweiss said:

Sorry! Things have been crazy here! 

Ok, these are my thoughts/opinions about the programs you mentioned. A couple I have first-hand impressions of, but not all of them.  So, take my comments with a grain of salt. 😉

ABT-- solid training with their own curriculum; very popular so audition classes tend to be very big (the last time DD auditioned for ABT, there were 92 people in her audition class); ABT has multiple locations, so they are able to accommodate more students; there is a hierarchy of the sites, so students are placed according to their levels which means that you might not get your first choice geography-wise (you are able to rank your choices for location, but if you put New York as your first choice, for instance, they might assign you to Tampa if they don't think you would fit well in NYC; since you have multiple children dancing, this could mean that your children are assigned to different sites); my daughter attended ABT in the young dancer program, so I am only familiar with that site; she was accepted to the 5 week NYC intensive a couple of years ago, but chose a different intensive; I have heard that ABT NYC, in particular, tends to concentrate on their favorites (the ones that attend on scholarship) and some people feel that they are ignored if they aren't a "chosen one"-- I do not have experience to confirm or deny this; if your child is accepted to either the NYC site or the California one, they get invites to attend special workshops during the year

SAB-- my daughter has never auditioned there because she has had numerous friends who went to SAB and did not enjoy it-- one friend didn't like it when she went, but got pressured by a teacher and her mom to attend for a second summer and she ultimately ended up quitting ballet after returning from the second summer; she was an amazing dancer, but the pressure at SAB is intense, even at the young ages because they start asking dancers to stay for the year-round program really young and for many it feels like a rejection when they aren't asked; dancers are constantly being evaluated there and SAB has a very particular set of criteria (and body types) that they are looking for; I've seen several young girls that are really affected by that level of intense scrutiny (of course it depends on the kid too!); another complaint is that SAB only offers a couple of classes a day and many people think that there is too much downtime compared to other intensives; SAB only accepts 8-10% of the people it auditions in a given year; on the pro side-- great dorms and you are housed right above the classrooms, so it is super-convenient and it is NYC!

Miami City-- very Balanchine school; my daughter hasn't gone there but thought it was the hardest audition she has ever had; it is in Miami, so it is really hot in the summer--UGH!; the dorms are pretty far from the school, so there is a long bus ride to and fro every day; my daughter has a friend that went and didn't love it but she was in a higher level and I think the pressure and competitiveness was pretty high which probably isn't an issue in the lower levels; don't know the exact acceptance rate but it is on the low side

The Rock-- I have heard that the year-round program is really good (and I have seen some amazing dancers from the Rock at YAGP!), but that the summer intensive isn't impressive at all; they do take most everyone that auditions and unless this has changed over the past year or so, they give acceptances and assign levels right at the audition, so there is no wait for results; not as important and it might have changed in the past two years because I haven't kept up with the Rock since I crossed it off the list, but I have heard that the bus ride to the studio is about 45 minutes each way and the bus isn't always air-conditioned-- ugh!

CPYB-- very solid training; very inclusive since there is no audition-- they take everyone and then level appropriately once you get there; very much a "ballet boot camp"-- the focus is completely on ballet; two ballet technique classes a day, plus most levels are offered a third technique class that is optional, but highly recommended; jazz and hip hop classes are available at an extra cost; CPYB also offers something called the "August Course" which is a 1 or 2 week ballet bootcamp (my daughter has attended this) but there is no housing for the August course; Carlisle is a small town and the commute from the dorms at Dickinson College to the studio is walkable

Joffrey Chicago-- I don't know much about this intensive except that it is the "real" Joffrey; I know of someone who went to the Young Dancer program a few years ago and wasn't happy with it, but I don't know anyone who has gone to the regular program

Don't know much about RWB or Ballet Chicago-- sorry!

I hope this helps! Please know that these are just my impressions.  Others might feel differently. 😉

Is the August course a full day program?  Or is it only half days?  It says 2 classes so I would think that is only 3 hours a day

Tell me what you guys think of this.   There is a studio that is a contemporary program.  They teach ballet too, but in their description they are describing themselves as a contemporary studio.   They have a summer intensive program that sounds good.  But it is only 1.5 hour of ballet, and 30 mins pointe.  The rest of the day is contemporary, improvisation, and choreography.  First thoughts? 

I told my kids about it and they don't want to try it.  They haven't ever taken modern so to spend most of the day doing that isn't something they are wanting to do. 

Edited by mommyoffive

I haven't homeschooled in several years, but I still think of the WTM boards when I need information. I logged in today to ask for travel tips for Vancouver, and I remembered this thread. It was great to read up on what your dancers are doing. The last time I posted, my dd had made prelim champ was doing well at that level. She needed two firsts to move up to open champ. She placed first in Atlanta in November - competition is pretty stiff at that feis, so it was a sweet win. She got another win last weekend at the Raleigh feis, so she's an open champ. She went to Oireachtas (Regionals) in December, her first Major comp since her surgery. She recalled (top 50% recalls and dance a third dance) and she placed 44th out of 95 in her age group.

She's an assistant teacher at the studio now and loves it. The little girls are so cute and really look up to her. It seems like just "the other day" when she was one of the younger kids and hoped she'd someday dance as well as the teenagers... and now she one of the "big kids." Her dance teacher is hoping she'll stay here for college and keep dancing. That's a possibility, but it depends on what she decides for her major. She's still tossed up between a couple of choices.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It has been awhile.  What is going on with all our dancers? 

Spring recitals, ballets, competitions? 

Did everyone decide where they are going for summer? 

My 3 older kids just did a one day show this weekend that they have been working on since January.  It was really good.  Odd was really happy in this production.  She got the fancy costume, makeup and lots of dancing.   I am glad she got to do this one. 

My older 2 did one audition.  We were going to do another one, but the weather was nuts.  Anyway they did Ballet Chicago and they both got in, DS with a scholarship.  I am trying to figure out if they are going to do it or not.  We had figured that we were going to stay home and go to a few of the intensives around home.  Then we thought we might go away to a 2 week one.  Either RWB or IBstage in Barcelona.   So this week we are trying to figure out what is going on.   I would stay with them in Chicago and that is just a long time.  It is a 5 week intensive and then a 2 week rep.  Plus there is a 1 week boot camp to get ready for it all.  Honestly I am really surprised they got in.  

The class was taught by their AD Daniel Duell and both kids really really liked him.  He was really hands and got to know everyone's name at the audition.   It was a great audition to experience. 

We have 2 more shows in the next few months.  I kind of wish that they would have done the one in April.  It gives you so much to look forward to. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Timely bump.  🙂

My DD had her college audition a few weeks ago and was accepted into the dance program.  It was the only college she wanted to even look at, so I'm thrilled it all worked out.  They are selective in their dance students, so I was just a tiny bit nervous about something going wrong with the audition.  Still waiting to hear if she earned any scholarship money from the dance department.  Her end goal is to be able to teach dance- ideally at the studio we are with now. 

Competition season is also underway.  We had our first one two weeks ago and it went extremely well for our first.  This is going to be one of those years- I was moved to tears waaaay too many times.  Ugh.  DD's dancing a lyrical solo to the song, The Last Goodbye from The Hobbit movies- sung by Billy Boyd.  So sweet, so perfect, and it's going to make me sob everytime I see it. 

DS had a very unique opportunity this last little while.  One of the boys on our company team broke his foot, so was suddenly out for the first competition.  Our studio production number is to HS Musical and they decided to pull DS in to replace this other boy who was playing one of the leads.  DS learned his choreo (which was a TON) in just two days and pulled it off perfectly.  I was SO proud of him,  and received so many compliments from other parents.  I'm just a tiny bit sad for him that he put all that work into it and for our next competition he'll be back in his group dance and not the lead.  But it will be great to have the other boy back for sure.  

• Like 1

Wow Lady Marmalde, that is a lot good things.

Congrats to your DD about getting into college!!!  That is awesome that she got into the dance program. 

Aww.  I get like that too watching my kids.  What a special experience that you get to have watching her. 

That is amazing that your son filled in for that part with just 2 days.  Nuts.  Kudos to him for doing a great job. 

• 2 months later...

Just had to do a mom brag. Ds advanced his level. He's now at the top of their regular levels (they have a level they just added for students not aiming for pro companies and a training program that goes with the professional company). I'm sorry, I just... a year ago his previous studio teachers were snubbing him and saying he'd never advance, never learn, wasn't teachable, and had no place in ballet. He leaves in two weeks for PBT summer intensive and he's so excited. Well, he would be if he didn't have a bunch of schoolwork to finish first. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone give me some advice.  Ds10 does tap and ballet.  He started tap last September and Ballet in Feb.  He loves them both BUT.  His teacher split with her d studio over Christmas and set up on her own.  We stuck with her as ds10 really doesn't cope with change.  Term one (Feb to Easter) went well but since the beginning of term 2 they have been rehearsing for a show that is not until December.  I get it is her first show and she wants it to go well but what ds10 wants/needs from dance is structure and gradual improvement.  The constant changes are stressing him and it is annoying me he only has about 10 minutes syllabus work each lesson. I am wishing we had only stuck with her for tap as changing now would be really hard on him but so will staying.  Is it normal to use most of the lesson for 3/4 of the year to work on a show?  Or are there places that do technique classes then if you are in a show do that outside class times?  Just not sure what is normal/reasonable.

1 hour ago, kiwik said:

Could someone give me some advice.  Ds10 does tap and ballet.  He started tap last September and Ballet in Feb.  He loves them both BUT.  His teacher split with her d studio over Christmas and set up on her own.  We stuck with her as ds10 really doesn't cope with change.  Term one (Feb to Easter) went well but since the beginning of term 2 they have been rehearsing for a show that is not until December.  I get it is her first show and she wants it to go well but what ds10 wants/needs from dance is structure and gradual improvement.  The constant changes are stressing him and it is annoying me he only has about 10 minutes syllabus work each lesson. I am wishing we had only stuck with her for tap as changing now would be really hard on him but so will staying.  Is it normal to use most of the lesson for 3/4 of the year to work on a show?  Or are there places that do technique classes then if you are in a show do that outside class times?  Just not sure what is normal/reasonable.

Our studio prioritizes technique over rehearsal -- so they either add extra rehearsals two months before the show, or they wait until the last month usually before practicing during class.  We never get the info for the December show until late September.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 8:30 PM, Farrar said:

Just had to do a mom brag. Ds advanced his level. He's now at the top of their regular levels (they have a level they just added for students not aiming for pro companies and a training program that goes with the professional company). I'm sorry, I just... a year ago his previous studio teachers were snubbing him and saying he'd never advance, never learn, wasn't teachable, and had no place in ballet. He leaves in two weeks for PBT summer intensive and he's so excited. Well, he would be if he didn't have a bunch of schoolwork to finish first. 

How did I miss this?   Congrats to him.   You have to be so proud.  It just makes you sure that changing schools was the best thing for him.  So glad you did it.  How old is he again?  Is next step trainee? 

How is the intensive going?   Does he like it?   Is he looking to find a place to study during the year or is he coming back home? 

My older 2 kids moved up a level.  I am proud of my son since he moved up a level in Feb.  

4 hours ago, kiwik said:

Our experience

The rec studio we belong to sounds a bit like this.   Over summer they take just general classes, no show.  So working on Technique

Their year starts in Oct.  They do a small show at nursing homes that they perform the same dances every year.  So it is just teaching the new kids to that class the dance and going over things.  Those shows are in Early Dec.  I would say the classes at that time are about 30 mins tech and 15 mins on the dance. 

Then they do a big show at the end of May.   It is all classes and they perform 3 (usually disney) shows.   Classes start again in January and from then on it is almost all working on the dance.  Some classes do a bit of tech, but most are just spending the whole time learning and practicing the dance. 

This studio teaches everything -ballet, tap, jazz...

The ballet school we belong to does not work on shows during class.  All rehearsals are outside of class times.  They do the Nutcracker in Dec, but rehearsals for that won't start until the end of Sep or Oct.  And those are outside of class times.  Same with spring shows and workshops. 

My take on it is that when you are only working on tech for 10 mins or for half of the year, there isn't much learning going on.  We have been doing the rec thing for 10 years and they haven't learned much there at all.  When they changed to the ballet school their skills just took off.   I think it would have taken 10 years to learn what they have in 1.5.   I think too that they get bored just working on a dance forever and not much skill time.    To me those kind of studios are just a waste of our time since they are not getting much out of it.   There is only one reason we are still part of it.   If you want your son to gain a lot of skills you should switch to a school that spends a lot of time on tech.

5 hours ago, kiwik said:

I our experience is the same as SanDiegoMom's - technique over rehearsal. When there's a show, there are extra times to rehearse for the show. If the show is part of the class experience as is the case occasionally, then the time is still split in class and they don't work on it for more than a couple of months typically. Also, age 10 is youngish. All the serious studios we've been at haven't had 10 yos performing more than 1x per year unless it was a sort of bonus opportunity, such as being in the Nutcracker.

Now, if the focus is competition dancing, then I know that's a different ballgame.

I don't know what you should necessarily do... But December is still a long way a way.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

How did I miss this?   Congrats to him.   You have to be so proud.  It just makes you sure that changing schools was the best thing for him.  So glad you did it.  How old is he again?  Is next step trainee? 

How is the intensive going?   Does he like it?   Is he looking to find a place to study during the year or is he coming back home? 

My older 2 kids moved up a level.  I am proud of my son since he moved up a level in Feb.  

Thanks. He's loving Pittsburgh. They seem like a good atmosphere. He seems really happy. The campus of the little college where they stay is gorgeous. I'd never been to Pittsburgh and he and I had a really good time hanging out there for the weekend.

He's definitely coming back to Washington Ballet next year. He was promoted to the level before the pro training stuff and he's only 14 (though 15 soon... eek) and his ultimate hope is to get into the PTP program there (the pre-trainee professional thing... I think different companies have different names for these programs). He'd love to get in next year... I'm thinking he has another year at the level he'll be in next year before it's even a possibility. And he'd definitely be open to going away, but I told him not before his senior year. I honestly still don't know if it'll all be in the cards or not - but he certainly hopes so. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

I our experience is the same as SanDiegoMom's - technique over rehearsal. When there's a show, there are extra times to rehearse for the show. If the show is part of the class experience as is the case occasionally, then the time is still split in class and they don't work on it for more than a couple of months typically. Also, age 10 is youngish. All the serious studios we've been at haven't had 10 yos performing more than 1x per year unless it was a sort of bonus opportunity, such as being in the Nutcracker.

Now, if the focus is competition dancing, then I know that's a different ballgame.

I don't know what you should necessarily do... But December is still a long way a way.

Just to add, that I know nothing about competition dancing.   Neither place we have danced at have that. 

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

Thanks. He's loving Pittsburgh. They seem like a good atmosphere. He seems really happy. The campus of the little college where they stay is gorgeous. I'd never been to Pittsburgh and he and I had a really good time hanging out there for the weekend.

He's definitely coming back to Washington Ballet next year. He was promoted to the level before the pro training stuff and he's only 14 (though 15 soon... eek) and his ultimate hope is to get into the PTP program there (the pre-trainee professional thing... I think different companies have different names for these programs). He'd love to get in next year... I'm thinking he has another year at the level he'll be in next year before it's even a possibility. And he'd definitely be open to going away, but I told him not before his senior year. I honestly still don't know if it'll all be in the cards or not - but he certainly hopes so. 

Yay, I am glad that he is liking his intensive.  He made a good choice.   I am just so happy for him and all that he is achieving this year and the doors that are opening.  Amazing.     I will have to keep in mind that it has a good summer program. 

I will have to open my mind to them going away in high school.  This world isn't anything that I knew of so, this is a learning experience. 

My 2 older kids stayed home this year.  They both got into the 2 places they auditioned for.  DS got scholarships to both places (25% and 50%) , so hopefully that will happen again for him.  They are doing 4 weeks at home.  3 weeks at their home studio and 1 week at another studio taught by their ballet director.  They are also doing drop in classes that have been helping them a ton because the class sizes are crazy small.   It would have been easier for me to have them go away this year though.  Their school is a 1 hour one way trip for our house, so it has meant long long days for the younger kids.   July is going to be beyond exhausting for me. 

I didn't even think about how fast they would go through things during intensives.  Canvas shoes sure do not last long.   Does everyone wear canvas?   Or do some schools go with leather?  Just bought a lot of new stuff for them today. 

It is amazing to think of how they will change and grow this year.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay, I am glad that he is liking his intensive.  He made a good choice.   I am just so happy for him and all that he is achieving this year and the doors that are opening.  Amazing.     I will have to keep in mind that it has a good summer program. 

I will have to open my mind to them going away in high school.  This world isn't anything that I knew of so, this is a learning experience. 

My 2 older kids stayed home this year.  They both got into the 2 places they auditioned for.  DS got scholarships to both places (25% and 50%) , so hopefully that will happen again for him.  They are doing 4 weeks at home.  3 weeks at their home studio and 1 week at another studio taught by their ballet director.  They are also doing drop in classes that have been helping them a ton because the class sizes are crazy small.   It would have been easier for me to have them go away this year though.  Their school is a 1 hour one way trip for our house, so it has meant long long days for the younger kids.   July is going to be beyond exhausting for me. 

I didn't even think about how fast they would go through things during intensives.  Canvas shoes sure do not last long.   Does everyone wear canvas?   Or do some schools go with leather?  Just bought a lot of new stuff for them today. 

It is amazing to think of how they will change and grow this year.  

We do canvas. His feet are still growing enough that it seems to make sense. Also, for performances, they can dye them. I'm just glad I have a boy because pointe shoes go even faster and are massively more expensive!

Good for you for the driving! I wouldn't have that in me. And I'm sure your ds will get scholarships again. It's nothing like how some people say where boys can walk in anywhere and get a free ride - ahem, tell that to my bank account! But some intensives nearly always offer good scholarships for the boys.

10 minutes ago, Farrar said:

We do canvas. His feet are still growing enough that it seems to make sense. Also, for performances, they can dye them. I'm just glad I have a boy because pointe shoes go even faster and are massively more expensive!

Good for you for the driving! I wouldn't have that in me. And I'm sure your ds will get scholarships again. It's nothing like how some people say where boys can walk in anywhere and get a free ride - ahem, tell that to my bank account! But some intensives nearly always offer good scholarships for the boys.

Yes, pointe shoes make me want to cry.   I have 4 girls that at this moment all love dance.  Oh my goodness.  I think at that pointe I will have to have a little job just to pay for that.  This is the time where I wish I had all boys.  😉 

I never thought that canvas was better for growing feet.  It seemed to be what all the older dancers wear at their school and they said the teachers can see your foot better.  I have no clue.  But leather lasts so much longer. 

Yeah the first week almost killed me.  It is just hard because my younger 3 are 3, 6, and 8.   The 3 year old is such a handful and needs a nap.  But if we are out and about she wont.   These next 3 weeks we are going to the movies at nap time.   Maybe she will sleep there?   If it was just me, it would be different.   But they want to do it so I have to figure out a way to support them.  I don't know who is going to be more tired, me or them.  

At least I will have a month to recoup before the school year starts. 

11 hours ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Our studio prioritizes technique over rehearsal -- so they either add extra rehearsals two months before the show, or they wait until the last month usually before practicing during class.  We never get the info for the December show until late September.  

That is what I would like.  Then he could skip the show if he wasn't ready.  I think all the studios in town do it this way though I don't think it is as extensive or for so long.  I am kind of wishing we had done ballet at the other studio who I think do less in class.  The third option has a senior teacher whose style would not work for ds but unless he did the boys class he probably wouldn't have her.  If he can cope with the rest of the year it will probably do him good.  If he can't though he will become erratic and want to quit.

• 1 month later...

How'd everyone's intensives finish up? Any transitions for the new year?

My dancer is psyched for the new year to start. He LOVED Pittsburgh. But he was also super ready to come home. Five weeks is so long. He was teary to leave but also teary to come home. He refuses to consider not doing Nut. Sigh. I'm like, you won't get a big role. He's too old for the kid roles but not good enough for the bigger teen roles - which almost all go to the girls. And the main parts are company, of course. But he just likes to be there.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 5:16 PM, Farrar said:

How'd everyone's intensives finish up? Any transitions for the new year?

My dancer is psyched for the new year to start. He LOVED Pittsburgh. But he was also super ready to come home. Five weeks is so long. He was teary to leave but also teary to come home. He refuses to consider not doing Nut. Sigh. I'm like, you won't get a big role. He's too old for the kid roles but not good enough for the bigger teen roles - which almost all go to the girls. And the main parts are company, of course. But he just likes to be there.

Yay, I am happy to hear he had a good time at his intensive.  5 Weeks is such a long time and he is young.  I worry about that with my kids if they go away on their own.  They haven't even left us for overnights at this point.  

Our intensives were ok.  The first week one was something we won't do again.  The 3 other weeks were really great.   I could for sure see the positives for staying at your home studio for intensives. 

I am not sure that we are making any changes.  We have looked into 3 other dance schools this year.  Still kind of on the fence of what we are doing.  We are thinking of dropping the rec program that we have done for the last few years.   But is hard to let that go.  It has a good show at the end and the kids take a class with their dh where they do a dance with him.  It is really sweet.   I hate for them to lose that.  But they really don't learn much there at all. 

My 2 older ones were invited into a professional track at their current school.  The regular track is 4 days a week, the pro track is 6.   And with Nutcracker rehearsals sometimes 7.  And we still live an hour away.   They really want to do it, but I don't know that we can hack it for the year.  Plus we would have to give up other things to do that.

How many days a week are your kids dancing?  What are their schedules? 

I think we are the same boat this year for Nutcracker.  They want to do it, but a few of my kids are to old for the kid roles and to young for the really good teen roles.   I am already not looking forward to it. 

Has anyone ever done the Russian Ballet's Nutcracker when they come into town looking for kids?   

• Like 1

Ds is doing 5 days a week, 20ish hours, plus rehearsals for any shows - either the company shows or the student shows. Those are always optional. The company stuff... it's usually not much dancing. I mean, they need the kids for things. Especially Nut, though he also did a small part in The Sleeping Beauty when they did it at the Kennedy Center. But... overall... it's just time. Sigh. But he loves it.

I feel like some of these studios that I hear about having kids who are pretty young dancing every day... I'm definitely not an expert, but it seems like it's just a money maker. Not necessarily what's best for the kid. Especially if it's not a pretty prestigious studio. Like, I have heard of 12 or 13 yo kids being invited to the full time training programs at places like Houston... but when a small time local studio wants a middle schooler dancing nonstop, it feels like it's more likely to kill it than anything.

I'm not familiar with the Russian Ballet. Is that the name of the company? In any case, ds has never super'ed for Nutcracker because he's always wanted to do it at his home studio and then last year, when he had switched to TWSB, they use a bajillion kids in their Nut - more than any other professional company, so that's just a whole other thing. However, he's super'ed for other shows and we know lots of kids who have been supers in various professional Nutcrackers at the Kennedy Center. In general, I highly recommend that serious dancers try being a super with a big company if you're able to. For one thing, it can open doors for SI's and things like that. They do like it on a resume. But more importantly, it's just a fun, intense experience. They usually only do a little actual dancing (though ds did get to be a super for ABT's The Sleeping Beauty for Garland Waltz and that was serious dancing and involved several months of rehearsals and was quite a special experience, but also an unusual one). But even though most roles are just dressing up and looking good on stage with a bit of occasional twirling, you get to be backstage and see what it's really like with a company up close. You get to see how the sausage is made, essentially. And homeschoolers are in a unique position to do these things because they tend to ask kids to be off school for a good chunk.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Ds is doing 5 days a week, 20ish hours, plus rehearsals for any shows - either the company shows or the student shows. Those are always optional. The company stuff... it's usually not much dancing. I mean, they need the kids for things. Especially Nut, though he also did a small part in The Sleeping Beauty when they did it at the Kennedy Center. But... overall... it's just time. Sigh. But he loves it.

I feel like some of these studios that I hear about having kids who are pretty young dancing every day... I'm definitely not an expert, but it seems like it's just a money maker. Not necessarily what's best for the kid. Especially if it's not a pretty prestigious studio. Like, I have heard of 12 or 13 yo kids being invited to the full time training programs at places like Houston... but when a small time local studio wants a middle schooler dancing nonstop, it feels like it's more likely to kill it than anything.

I'm not familiar with the Russian Ballet. Is that the name of the company? In any case, ds has never super'ed for Nutcracker because he's always wanted to do it at his home studio and then last year, when he had switched to TWSB, they use a bajillion kids in their Nut - more than any other professional company, so that's just a whole other thing. However, he's super'ed for other shows and we know lots of kids who have been supers in various professional Nutcrackers at the Kennedy Center. In general, I highly recommend that serious dancers try being a super with a big company if you're able to. For one thing, it can open doors for SI's and things like that. They do like it on a resume. But more importantly, it's just a fun, intense experience. They usually only do a little actual dancing (though ds did get to be a super for ABT's The Sleeping Beauty for Garland Waltz and that was serious dancing and involved several months of rehearsals and was quite a special experience, but also an unusual one). But even though most roles are just dressing up and looking good on stage with a bit of occasional twirling, you get to be backstage and see what it's really like with a company up close. You get to see how the sausage is made, essentially. And homeschoolers are in a unique position to do these things because they tend to ask kids to be off school for a good chunk.

It is the Moscow Ballet. There are not a lot of other chances in our area, that I know of at least. 

This 6 day a week program would only be 14 -15 hours a week.  Not including rehearsals.    I looked at training guide lines and it doesn't seem out of line.   It would be for my 11 and 13 year old.  It is at a ballet school with a company attached.  It is actually cheaper than the other ballet school with a company attached when then are only dancing 7 hours a week. 

47 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It is the Moscow Ballet. There are not a lot of other chances in our area, that I know of at least. 

This 6 day a week program would only be 14 -15 hours a week.  Not including rehearsals.    I looked at training guide lines and it doesn't seem out of line.   It would be for my 11 and 13 year old.  It is at a ballet school with a company attached.  It is actually cheaper than the other ballet school with a company attached when then are only dancing 7 hours a week. 

So, when people say "company" sometimes they mean a real pro company of adults who perform for the community and also travel. And sometimes they mean a "company" group of children and teens who are the "studio company." So I'm not totally sure which you mean here. If it's a proper company, then I'd trust them. It's these smaller studios that I'm dubious on when I hear about how they run.

15 hours isn't crazy. It's all how you lay it out, I guess. Ds is dancing more than that but fewer days. I'd rather have the days off than the time. But that's just a preference.

I'd do the Moscow Ballet opportunity if they can. Ditch your local Nut. Do the pro one if they've never done it. It's not so much about the dance training, but about the experience of being with the company.

17 minutes ago, Farrar said:

So, when people say "company" sometimes they mean a real pro company of adults who perform for the community and also travel. And sometimes they mean a "company" group of children and teens who are the "studio company." So I'm not totally sure which you mean here. If it's a proper company, then I'd trust them. It's these smaller studios that I'm dubious on when I hear about how they run.

15 hours isn't crazy. It's all how you lay it out, I guess. Ds is dancing more than that but fewer days. I'd rather have the days off than the time. But that's just a preference.

I'd do the Moscow Ballet opportunity if they can. Ditch your local Nut. Do the pro one if they've never done it. It's not so much about the dance training, but about the experience of being with the company.

The 2 ballet schools I was talking about have pro company of adults.   The one were the kids have gone for 1.5 years now is with a pro adult company.  

2 other studios that we looked at changing to this year have the company of kids or bit older 19-21.  I feel like if you are at a place that has the kids as the company they get more chances to perform and better roles.  Maybe that is a good thing in their dance training?   Why do you find the studios with kid companies dubious?  

I would rather have it all combined on less days too.   But there isn't that option there.  Taking off days takes off class time. 

This would be their 3rd year of doing Nut with their ballet school with a pro adult company.   I think we will at least go to the Moscow Ballet auditions and see what happens.   They could do both of them. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

The 2 ballet schools I was talking about have pro company of adults.   The one were the kids have gone for 1.5 years now is with a pro adult company.  

2 other studios that we looked at changing to this year have the company of kids or bit older 19-21.  I feel like if you are at a place that has the kids as the company they get more chances to perform and better roles.  Maybe that is a good thing in their dance training?   Why do you find the studios with kid companies dubious?  

I would rather have it all combined on less days too.   But there isn't that option there.  Taking off days takes off class time. 

This would be their 3rd year of doing Nut with their ballet school with a pro adult company.   I think we will at least go to the Moscow Ballet auditions and see what happens.   They could do both of them. 

I think it just depends on the school. Sometimes I hear about young, young kids being in a "company" and it just sounds like they're not getting the training they need. Like a 9 yo is not in a "professional company" no matter what the studio has named the group they're a part of. And if the purpose of the company is to perform often, then sometimes it's a little like the line between competition dance and not - are they getting the technique in. Sometimes they are. Sometimes they're not. You hear stories about dancers who have years of training, are encouraged to go audition for serious places... only to discover they have poor habits and aren't going anywhere. But if you're talking about places with real pro companies, then they're trustworthy. That's always going to be an easy way to distinguish. So is seeing where they send dancers - if they are sending dancers on to companies - not SI's, but real companies - then that's a great sign.

Ds was at a youth ballet. Now he's at a school attached to a company... the student performances and the pro ones are separate. So far, I haven't seen a huge difference. Nut was really the only difference in performance opportunities. But they do student shows, so the student shows give those opportunities. My sil was a dancer and she thought that her training was good because in her program they had a student school where you'd get these big leads and then you'd go do the pro show and be dancer number four standing in a line behind the soloists. They need both experiences. Dancers who were the star at their studio company and then go on to be apprentices or trainees at pro companies are sometimes into a rude surprise when they're one dancer among dozens in the background. But that  doesn't mean that sometimes a youth ballet isn't better. I think it just depends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I think it just depends on the school. Sometimes I hear about young, young kids being in a "company" and it just sounds like they're not getting the training they need. Like a 9 yo is not in a "professional company" no matter what the studio has named the group they're a part of. And if the purpose of the company is to perform often, then sometimes it's a little like the line between competition dance and not - are they getting the technique in. Sometimes they are. Sometimes they're not. You hear stories about dancers who have years of training, are encouraged to go audition for serious places... only to discover they have poor habits and aren't going anywhere. But if you're talking about places with real pro companies, then they're trustworthy. That's always going to be an easy way to distinguish. So is seeing where they send dancers - if they are sending dancers on to companies - not SI's, but real companies - then that's a great sign.

Ds was at a youth ballet. Now he's at a school attached to a company... the student performances and the pro ones are separate. So far, I haven't seen a huge difference. Nut was really the only difference in performance opportunities. But they do student shows, so the student shows give those opportunities. My sil was a dancer and she thought that her training was good because in her program they had a student school where you'd get these big leads and then you'd go do the pro show and be dancer number four standing in a line behind the soloists. They need both experiences. Dancers who were the star at their studio company and then go on to be apprentices or trainees at pro companies are sometimes into a rude surprise when they're one dancer among dozens in the background. But that  doesn't mean that sometimes a youth ballet isn't better. I think it just depends.

Thanks for all the insight.  I am learning a lot today. 

Yes, I have seen some places that have kids that are 8 or so in the company.  But some of the ones I have looked for older kids.   The first 6 months at this school I didn't pay attention to any of the older dancers.   This year I was paying more attention.  Our school is small, especially at the top levels.  A few of the top girls got injured, some just came from the other ballet school for a different experience for a half year, and then one is going to college.  It was a small number to begin with, maybe less than 10.   They were trainees this year.  One is going to be an apprentice with our home school's company this year.   So sort story, I don't know of anyone that has gone to another company.   It is something that I really would like to know to see if we are on the right path. 

That sounds really great that his school has separate student shows.  I love that idea.  The only one that home school does is an end of the year workshop.  But it is just one dance for each level.   I am trying to see if they will do more performances for the students this year.  I hope so.  I think they need more than what they are getting.  We have supplemented by doing shows with other dance studios.   The other school with a pro company usually has 2 student shows and then chance to be in 3 or so company shows. 

I agree, I think that they need both.  

Competition Dance Mom checking in.  🙂

It's very strange to be in the place where I only have one dancer to worry about- and a boy at that.  As I've had to pay things for him already, I look at the totals and my first thought is that I'm being undercharged, and then I check myself- last year it was double because I had TWO kids-each taking six hours per week of ballet.  The lighter strain on the checkbook is amazingly refreshing.  I cannot wait for November when we usually pay the bill for costumes.  With a boy, I expect to have to buy 2-3 pieces at most for his hip hop and production costumes. Last year DD's costumes totaled up to almost $800, not including her solo costume that we built ourselves. 

We just wrapped up what they call Intensive Week.  He just spent about 30 hours this week learning all of his dances for the coming season.  He's pleased with most of them, but especially his hip-hop.  He was bumped up to the top level for hip-hop this year and was thrilled to learn choreo from someone from Millenium.  It's a killer dance and they totally put DS front and center as the star.  I can't wait to see it cleaned up and costumed!

Nutcracker auditions will be in about a month, I think.  The offical dance season starts up the second week in September- we have three weeks off now.  It will be fun to see what parts they cast him in this year- every year they come up with a new pas idea for him.  

DD heads off to college in just ten days.  She has three dance classes/practicums this first semester and is a little bummed that tap is not included as that is what she's hoping to focus on.  There's a studio in MN with the most spectacular tap program- many of the tap dances are a contemporary/tap fusion and simply incredible.  We keep expecting them to appear on World of Dance, they're SO good!  She'd like to go more in-depth with that idea and see if she can put her own spin on tapping while still maintaining the integrity of the style of dance- and also infusing it with a touch of ballroom detail as well.  She's super excited to get her college career underway.  I just hope that she remembers that she is a beginning student all over again and that she should embrace the opportunity.  

• Like 3

Where's she off to college @Lady Marmalade

My dancer loves World of Dance. I'm like, you could do that, the competition... and he won't even let me finish. He's like, I just like to watch it. But some of those kids are amazing. Beyond amazing. My non-dancer said he wanted to try breakdance, but they don't take teens at the two studios here that do breakdance - only kids and adults. Sigh.

5 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Where's she off to college @Lady Marmalade

My dancer loves World of Dance. I'm like, you could do that, the competition... and he won't even let me finish. He's like, I just like to watch it. But some of those kids are amazing. Beyond amazing. My non-dancer said he wanted to try breakdance, but they don't take teens at the two studios here that do breakdance - only kids and adults. Sigh.

She's going to the University of Wisconsin- Stevens Point, which is only an hour away so we'll easily be able to attend her performances. 

We attended the same nationals this year as Expressenz dance studio- who were on WOD last year.  They were the girls studio team who publicized that they all practiced with ankle weights to make their turns flawless.   There was also one of the Miami, FL studios that has sent several dancers to SYTYCD.  It was the best nationals we've ever attended.  So much good dancing!  

What kind of dance place takes both kids and adults but not teens?  That's super strange!  I wonder if you could find a drop-in class on eventbrite or somewhere for him to try some time.  I know one of the dance crews in Milwaukee offers workshops to the public every once in a while and one of our teachers has been taking a group of dancers down to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Marmalade said:

What kind of dance place takes both kids and adults but not teens?  That's super strange!  I wonder if you could find a drop-in class on eventbrite or somewhere for him to try some time.  I know one of the dance crews in Milwaukee offers workshops to the public every once in a while and one of our teachers has been taking a group of dancers down to it. 

This kid doesn't have a particular physical thing and I always have to prod him a bit, so I can now say that a LOT of activities have kid classes and adult classes and no teen classes. Sometimes they'll welcome teens to the adult classes (especially common in martial arts, parkour, etc.) but then if they have no teen community, it can be awkward for a teen boy. The breakdance place in question did take teens, but only teens who started breakdance as younger kids. He said he'd go back and do some parkour with the adult classes, but I'm not holding my breath. I think he'd like to do some more jazz dance, but being an identical twin of a dancer and having so little dance experience yourself means you get very self-conscious.

Congrats to your college student... an hour away is so optimal for a young adult.

Our new season has started off with a bang. Both Dd13 and Ds8 got promoted to a new level. Dd13 has started conservatory, so I’m having to get used to being without her during the days. I appreciated that she confessed to me that she missed me, I didn’t expect that. ❤️ She has so many hours now, she’s tired but loving it. 

Anyone else do conservatory? It’s trial and error over here getting school done efficiently. We’re doing ok, but I’m hoping we’ll find our rhythm soon. 

I’m having a slightly difficult time adjusting to dd9 not dancing this year (her choice). She is a beautiful dancer, but said she just doesn’t enjoy it like she used to. We’ve always told them we won’t force them into activities, so I’m holding to it. But I’ll miss her in Nutcracker this year, plus since ds got moved up they would have been in the same class. They both would have liked that. 

They are building townhomes kind of close to our studio. What a great commute that would be!! I’m trying to ignore what gas is going to cost us this year. 😂 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, snickerplum said:

Our new season has started off with a bang. Both Dd13 and Ds8 got promoted to a new level. Dd13 has started conservatory, so I’m having to get used to being without her during the days. I appreciated that she confessed to me that she missed me, I didn’t expect that. ❤️ She has so many hours now, she’s tired but loving it. 

Anyone else do conservatory? It’s trial and error over here getting school done efficiently. We’re doing ok, but I’m hoping we’ll find our rhythm soon. 

I’m having a slightly difficult time adjusting to dd9 not dancing this year (her choice). She is a beautiful dancer, but said she just doesn’t enjoy it like she used to. We’ve always told them we won’t force them into activities, so I’m holding to it. But I’ll miss her in Nutcracker this year, plus since ds got moved up they would have been in the same class. They both would have liked that. 

They are building townhomes kind of close to our studio. What a great commute that would be!! I’m trying to ignore what gas is going to cost us this year. 😂 

The daytime training program at our studio doesn't have many kids below age 16 or 17, so not an option yet - thank goodness, at least from my perspective. How does she like it? Ds's old studio just started a conservatory program.

But I totally understand about the driving. A few years ago, I thought about moving to be closer to ds's studio. It wouldn't have been just for him - we have friends in the neighborhoods all around there and other ds's theater is also walking distance from that studio. I was dreamily looking at houses like, should we just move... our whole lives are there. We'd be able to vote. And our kids could walk everywhere. Anyway... good thing I didn't since he changed studios!

12 hours ago, snickerplum said:

Congrats to your 2 girls that got moved up.  Do you have 5 dancers? 

I haven't ever heard of a conservatory.  What does that mean?   Just that she is dancing all day during the school year?   Is everyone who does that homeschooled?  How many hours does she dance a week with that? 

Our current school doesn't do that they do have a trainee program, which includes the normal nightly classes and then morning classes 4 days a week.  2 days of 1.5 hours and 2 days of 2 hours and 15 mins.  The people who have done it the last year were either juniors or seniors in high school.  But I think they could be younger if they had advanced in levels earlier. 

One of the smaller studios that we looked at that don't have a pro company, but a company of older kids does have a daytime program for those training during the day.   It starts at 13 years old.

Oh I would be sad too if one of my kiddos stopped dancing.  Maybe she will change her mind.  

Yeah I don't even want to think of our gas costs.  Insane.  We live at least 1 hour each way from the school.  I dream all the time of moving closer, but I am always afraid that they will end up switching, hurt, or stop dancing.   But it would be life changing.  

Edited by mommyoffive

We have 4 kids, two dancing currently. Hopefully number 3 will change her mind and start again. 

Our conservatory kids dance from 1:30-3, take a two hour break (work on school, eat) and then have evening classes. At my daughter’s level she dances 23-26 hours a week. It’s a lot but she loves it and it’s what she wants to do. Our son only dances 6.5 hours a week, so not nearly as much. 

In our school trainees are the little ones, up to around 9 or 10. After that you end up in the pre-pro classes. It’s a serious school, definitely not “just for fun” stuff. We are pretty small school, but the training is great. It’s all ballet except for Monday jazz and certain levels can take a modern class. 

Nutcracker auditions are coming soon. Let the festivities begin. It’s hard to believe it’s here already, but I suppose if Hobby Lobby is ready, we can be, too. 🤣

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snickerplum said:

We have 4 kids, two dancing currently. Hopefully number 3 will change her mind and start again. 

Our conservatory kids dance from 1:30-3, take a two hour break (work on school, eat) and then have evening classes. At my daughter’s level she dances 23-26 hours a week. It’s a lot but she loves it and it’s what she wants to do. Our son only dances 6.5 hours a week, so not nearly as much. 

In our school trainees are the little ones, up to around 9 or 10. After that you end up in the pre-pro classes. It’s a serious school, definitely not “just for fun” stuff. We are pretty small school, but the training is great. It’s all ballet except for Monday jazz and certain levels can take a modern class. 

Nutcracker auditions are coming soon. Let the festivities begin. It’s hard to believe it’s here already, but I suppose if Hobby Lobby is ready, we can be, too. 🤣

So interesting to hear how the other schools do it.  I like how your school does the conservatory.  I am sure they are getting so much with that many hours in.  Neat.   I would hate it if I lived as far away as I do now, but to be able to drop and them off and come back later it would be great.  How old is your son?    Small schools are great, I wish ours would stay small.   

Our school goes from 1 years up to high school

Me and mom, then creative movement, then Pre-ballet

Ballet 1, Ballet 2, Ballet 3, Ballet 4, Ballet 5, Ballet 6 and then Trainee.   After trainee you can audition for Apprentice to the company.  Actually Trainee you have to audition for too.   Then within some of the levels you can pick different tracks to go on.  Recreational (where you don't come in that much and don't dance on pointe)   Regular school track    and then the Plus route which is invitation only and is ramping them up for a professional training.  

• 2 months later...

How's everyone's Nutcracker season going?

Three rolls, four casts, rehearsal on Thanksgiving weekend, something like 20 performances I think? Oy. Nutcracker.

Two of his rolls aren't really dancing - he is a solider on a horse in the battle scene some nights and a giant Jack in the Box on a huge platform on other nights in the battle scene. You can actually see both of those rolls in the promo on Facebook, actually, which is neat.

I'm more excited to see him as the "party prep" - he's like a servant who gets the party ready and does some partnering with the trainee girls.

In non-Nutcracker news, he got to dance the Pas de Trois from Swan Lake in the upper student performance and it was AMAZING.

• Like 1

Wow, 20 shows?   Is that every show the company does?    We don't have any of those rolls in our Nut.  Sounds like some neat parts to play.  I am glad he got more than one.   

We only do 10 shows and because Hamilton is coming to town our dates are really pushed back this year.   All 5 of my kids and dh are in it this year.   My oldest 3 are in everyone and they all have new roles so they are excited. 

Where is everyone auditioning for intensives? 

• 1 month later...

Is everyone in audition season right now?   How is going?    Which places is your kid auditioning for? 

Does everyone have a spring show coming up? 

We are just starting the audition season.   We casting a bigger net than last year to see what happens.  Last year my 2 oldest auditioned for 2 places.   

This year they have already auditioned for Miami and SAB this year.   We would like to do Jilliana, Milwaukee, Nashville, PBT, PNB, Orlando, The Rock, ABT, Colrado, Houston, Joffery, and Next Generation.  The snow and ice have made it challenging to get to auditions already.    We cut some out already because the weather was just to bad to make the trip.  

They are still dancing 6 days a week.   I thank goodness that the year is almost halfway over.  The commute is killing me. 

They do have a spring ballet, not sure if we will do it.  At our school each one is a really big fee to do.   

Edited by mommyoffive

Oldest DD has done 2 auditions so far and we have one more in a few weeks. We’re being choosy. She thought both went well, but the proof is in the acceptance letters, right? 😊 She had fun, however it turns out. 
We don’t have spring shows coming up (we are at a new studio that doesn’t do performances), but she’s getting ready for YAGP (first one). While she’s rehearsing I’m working on her tutu (yikes).  Pray for me. 😂

• Like 3