Jump to content

Menu

Dance Parents


LizzyBee
 Share

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is there an easier way to find out about auditions for shows?  I just go on the websites for each school or studio, but I was wondering if there was something smarter than this. 

Do your kids do private lessons in addition to normal classes?  What age did you start doing this?  Was there a reason you should start doing it? 

 

Our studio posts auditions on their Facebook and Instagram feeds.  They do welcome outside dancers to audition for Nutcracker roles and competition teams, etc.  But there are hardly any takers on that.  It's kind of frowned upon to audition for something not at your own studio... At least, that's how things are in my neck of the woods.

My kids do private lessons now, but only for their competition pieces.  DD has a private lesson for her solo, and DS has a semi-private with his duet partner.  I see no need for private lessons in technique or instruction unless an instructor recommends it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Is there an easier way to find out about auditions for shows?  I just go on the websites for each school or studio, but I was wondering if there was something smarter than this. 

Do your kids do private lessons in addition to normal classes?  What age did you start doing this?  Was there a reason you should start doing it? 

 

 

This is my first time to post on this thread. My 11 yo dd has danced a bit on and off over the years. She never really found a studio that “fit” and because we live in a more rural area, the only true ballet school (that I would have loved her to dance at!) is just too far away. She tried a different studio this summer that a few friends go to and she fell in love. This studio is not prestigious, but it is more serious about technique than the other studios she has danced at. She is there four days a week and on one of those days she takes a private solo lesson from the studio director. Dd has a lot of passion for dance so they are working with me so that she can hopefully get to where she wants to be (on pointe!). She auditioned and made the company, knowing that she may not perform in things at the same level as all of the other girls. She is even assisting in a ballet/tap 1 class so that she can pick up on technique. 

Sadly, this studio doesn’t do the nutcracker, or anything else that dd could audition for. I think that would be fun if they did though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dd is just a recreational dancer but she loves it and it has many benefits for her. She dances three nights a week for a total of five hours. Her studio also does things like organize trips to Atlanta to see performances and dance in the town Christmas parade.

My dd really does not have a future in ballet. She doesn’t have the physical gifts or the motivation to train hard. She wouldn’t even enjoy a local Nutcracker she would have access to because she doesn’t want to rehearse all weekend. 

But dance is still fun and creative and great exercise for her and builds her confidence. I get a lot of snide comments about my dd being at a recreational studio and that it isn’t “real ballet” and she won’t be able to go pro or make a company. That’s okay! That isn’t our goal. So I just figured I would post in case anyone else had a recreational dancer they could know they weren’t alone. ? I think recreational dance is super fun and cool and a positive activity.

I never had any interest in dance until my dd pulled me into it but I think it is a great activity and love how there are so many different levels and ways to pursue it. 

Congratulations on all the Nutcracker parts! I have several to attend for friends and family and I love watching the kids.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2018 at 6:43 PM, Lady Marmalade said:

Our studio posts auditions on their Facebook and Instagram feeds.  They do welcome outside dancers to audition for Nutcracker roles and competition teams, etc.  But there are hardly any takers on that.  It's kind of frowned upon to audition for something not at your own studio... At least, that's how things are in my neck of the woods.

My kids do private lessons now, but only for their competition pieces.  DD has a private lesson for her solo, and DS has a semi-private with his duet partner.  I see no need for private lessons in technique or instruction unless an instructor recommends it. 

 

Hmmm.   Is that how it is everywhere?  

We were those people last year and this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

 

Hmmm.   Is that how it is everywhere?  

We were those people last year and this year. 

I have no idea, we've only lived and danced here.

Many years ago, the studio we were a part of was the only studio in town putting on a full Nutcracker every year, so they would welcome others to audition, and people did.   Specifically, people from the particular ballet-only school would audition.  They put on a Nutcracker, but it was only every 3 or 4 years or so, and then they would bring in professionals to dance some of the parts.  Then one year the role of Sugar Plum was cast to one of the ballet studio girls.  The weekend of the performance, her ballet director came to her and told her that if she danced the role that weekend for our studio, she was OUT at the ballet school.  One of the teachers ended up filling in for the Sugar Plum that year, and after that the people from the ballet school stopped auditioning. 

Fast forward a few years, and we've had a few people go back and forth between the ballet school and our studio now.  It was slightly frowned upon, but no formal words were exchanged between studios as long as the dancers could manage to arrange their schedules in just such a way as to not miss classes at either one.

But now this year, with our brand new (and much needed, to be honest) formal ballet program, at the bottom of our audition poster it specifically says this:

"Due to the pre-professional academic syllabus of our new ballet program, all dancers that are on our competitive teams will not be permitted to cross train and perform at other studios."

I think if I were you, I might quietly ask around.  I know in your case, you are actually just looking for the best fit for your dancers, and no one is ever going to frown on that- especially when you have limited options where you are.  But, we have several families in our area that are "known" for flitting from studio to studio because they think their dancers are the best of the best and when they don't get starring roles or solo parts, they move to another studio to try their luck there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I have no idea, we've only lived and danced here.

Many years ago, the studio we were a part of was the only studio in town putting on a full Nutcracker every year, so they would welcome others to audition, and people did.   Specifically, people from the particular ballet-only school would audition.  They put on a Nutcracker, but it was only every 3 or 4 years or so, and then they would bring in professionals to dance some of the parts.  Then one year the role of Sugar Plum was cast to one of the ballet studio girls.  The weekend of the performance, her ballet director came to her and told her that if she danced the role that weekend for our studio, she was OUT at the ballet school.  One of the teachers ended up filling in for the Sugar Plum that year, and after that the people from the ballet school stopped auditioning. 

Fast forward a few years, and we've had a few people go back and forth between the ballet school and our studio now.  It was slightly frowned upon, but no formal words were exchanged between studios as long as the dancers could manage to arrange their schedules in just such a way as to not miss classes at either one.

But now this year, with our brand new (and much needed, to be honest) formal ballet program, at the bottom of our audition poster it specifically says this:

"Due to the pre-professional academic syllabus of our new ballet program, all dancers that are on our competitive teams will not be permitted to cross train and perform at other studios."

I think if I were you, I might quietly ask around.  I know in your case, you are actually just looking for the best fit for your dancers, and no one is ever going to frown on that- especially when you have limited options where you are.  But, we have several families in our area that are "known" for flitting from studio to studio because they think their dancers are the best of the best and when they don't get starring roles or solo parts, they move to another studio to try their luck there.  

 

Wow.  Yeah I guess I will be asking around.  I know some of the other people have been part of another place while going to this school.  Although I think once you move up high enough that is really hard to do because you are dancing almost everyday.   But yeah it does seem like people are kind of sensitive about flitting around to different schools. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

How is the season going for you? 

How often do your kids get evaluated at their studio or school?   I am feeling like it doesn't happen enough at ours. 

We decided to only do one day at the old school.  The other day just didn't have classes that would be challenging to our kids so it seemed like a waste.  We will probably add another day at the ballet school, and be up to 4.  

Do you feel like politics are a big part of your school and how people are cast in roles?   Just trying to figure out if the feeling I have is a normal thing at most schools. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know the reasoning behind the different ages for pointe, but it definitely varies widely. We were at a studio where they didn't start most girls until age 12 or 13. But other studios seem to have them on at age 9 or so. I'm thinking later is better for most girls... focus on technique and don't ruin their feet until they're mostly done growing. But as I have a boy, I may be missing something. My boy does the pointe classes this year at his new studio. They want him to work on foot articulation. He does them on flat though.

As for evaluations - at our old studio, twice a year. Seems to be the case at the new studio as well.

Everyone got Nutcracker parts now? Ds is the "young man" at the party and an "equestrian" - a part that's not in smaller Nuts, I don't think. He gets to ride an elaborate fake horse in the battle scene. Still waiting to hear how many shows he has to do. (please less than  20, please...)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What age do girls go on pointe at your school?

Demi pointe or pointe? 

What is the reasoning behind different ages? 

My daughter went on pointe (at her old studio) when she was 10. Most of the girls there go up when they are 10, but there are a couple of exceptions that have to wait longer.  No one that I know of goes up earlier.

At her new studio, most go on pointe when they are 10, but some go up at age 9, or in one case, at age 8.  

10 is the earliest that I would consider it for my daughter.  I would have preferred if it was 11 or 12, but I would have had to go against the culture at the studio if I did that.  She would have had to stay behind at a lower level, and it would have crushed her because she was at the top of her level technically as it was.  Knowing my daughter and her personality, she probably would have quit ballet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2018 at 10:18 AM, Farrar said:

At our studio, the boys are with the girls in co-ed classes until the level before pre-pointe. Then they have all male classes until the girls are in intermediate pointe. At that stage, they return to taking some classes with the girls again and learning partnering.

In conversations I've had with people, it sounds like one of the primary reasons for boys to learn pointe is to become dance teachers themselves. It's not done on stage often at all.

Ds9 has just started tap a a dance school  that does mostly ballet and modern.  He is the only boy in the entire school.  He was I think the only boy at another ballet school when he did pre ballet at 4.  Ds11 was the only boy when he did pre ballet.  At least the tap teacher doesn't call them 'girls' and tell them to hold their skirts out.

And there is only one class he can attend though I think their are a couple for Ballet.

Edited by kiwik
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, edelweiss said:

My daughter went on pointe (at her old studio) when she was 10. Most of the girls there go up when they are 10, but there are a couple of exceptions that have to wait longer.  No one that I know of goes up earlier.

At her new studio, most go on pointe when they are 10, but some go up at age 9, or in one case, at age 8.  

10 is the earliest that I would consider it for my daughter.  I would have preferred if it was 11 or 12, but I would have had to go against the culture at the studio if I did that.  She would have had to stay behind at a lower level, and it would have crushed her because she was at the top of her level technically as it was.  Knowing my daughter and her personality, she probably would have quit ballet.

 

Do you think there are any health issues going on pointe so early?  

The one school we are at now, girls usually are 13 to 14 when they go on.  The school we went to over summer started girls on Demi pointe usually at 9 or so.  Although they said my 7 year old if her feet were ready might be able to at 8. 

I have to check the other school and see what they do. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our oldest started pointe at 11. I think this studio likes girls to start at 10, but we came late to the party (studio). ?

The artistic director bases it more on foot and ankle strength as well as maturity. The girls are not allowed to take their shoes home (except to sew ribbons) until they demonstrate responsibility and they can be trusted not to mess around with them at home. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/20/2018 at 12:16 PM, Farrar said:

I don't know the reasoning behind the different ages for pointe, but it definitely varies widely. We were at a studio where they didn't start most girls until age 12 or 13. But other studios seem to have them on at age 9 or so. I'm thinking later is better for most girls... focus on technique and don't ruin their feet until they're mostly done growing. But as I have a boy, I may be missing something. My boy does the pointe classes this year at his new studio. They want him to work on foot articulation. He does them on flat though.

As for evaluations - at our old studio, twice a year. Seems to be the case at the new studio as well.

Everyone got Nutcracker parts now? Ds is the "young man" at the party and an "equestrian" - a part that's not in smaller Nuts, I don't think. He gets to ride an elaborate fake horse in the battle scene. Still waiting to hear how many shows he has to do. (please less than  20, please...)

 

Wow sounds like a cool show and really fun part. They don't have that in our show.  

We got their parts a long time ago.  We have a weekend off from practice so that is nice.  Not as exciting as last year. 

Are there any good online workouts for kids?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Are there other good classes for dancers to take?  My kids are all into ballet, they do tap once a week.  One is able to take a modern class.  

Do you think acting/singing classes would be good too?  Help them learn more about acting in character?  The current school has no character classes that I see offered other places. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2018 at 9:07 AM, mommyoffive said:

 

Do you think there are any health issues going on pointe so early?  

The one school we are at now, girls usually are 13 to 14 when they go on.  The school we went to over summer started girls on Demi pointe usually at 9 or so.  Although they said my 7 year old if her feet were ready might be able to at 8. 

I have to check the other school and see what they do. 

Our school has every girl do an X-ray before going on pointe to check the closure rate of the growth plates. If they are partially to 80% fused they are good to go on pointe. My daughter is almost 13 and is not on pointe yet even though she is very strong and has been dancing for years - but her bone growth is delayed and she has little to no growth plate fusion yet. 

The owner of the school was put on pointe at age nine and attributes her deformed feet and stunted growth to being put on too early. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Our school has every girl do an X-ray before going on pointe to check the closure rate of the growth plates. If they are partially to 80% fused they are good to go on pointe. My daughter is almost 13 and is not on pointe yet even though she is very strong and has been dancing for years - but her bone growth is delayed and she has little to no growth plate fusion yet. 

The owner of the school was put on pointe at age nine and attributes her deformed feet and stunted growth to being put on too early. 

This sounds like our studio, complete with studio owner who believes that going on pointe too young did damage to her feet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Are there other good classes for dancers to take?  My kids are all into ballet, they do tap once a week.  One is able to take a modern class.  

Do you think acting/singing classes would be good too?  Help them learn more about acting in character?  The current school has no character classes that I see offered other places. 

 

Acting/singing certainly couldn't hurt!  Some extra classes that our teachers are always encouraging kids to take (but that our studio doesn't offer specifically) are pilates, yoga, gymnastics and ballroom dancing.   I've thought really hard about taking DD to an aerial yoga/silks class, but timing and extra $$ hasn't worked out.  She'd really love to take some ballroom lessons, but her brother refuses to partner her and we're not comfortable with her dancing with the older, more mature men that attend the ballroom classes in our area.  That's high on her hopes for her college classes.  ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Are there other good classes for dancers to take?  My kids are all into ballet, they do tap once a week.  One is able to take a modern class.  

Do you think acting/singing classes would be good too?  Help them learn more about acting in character?  The current school has no character classes that I see offered other places. 

Some kids are just into performing and would love that. But others aren't. It certainly won't hurt.

In terms of body... my understanding is that cross training is better. So doing something like swimming, for example, could be beneficial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What pointe shoes are favorites here and why?

Dd12 has really liked her Bloch European Balance much better than the Heritage. Her feet are quite wide, and she has a disappearing heel. The EB seem to help there, but she also has super high arches and I want to make sure she’s supported there, too. 

I was hoping her current ones would last through Nutcracker, but no such luck. ?

We’ll more than likely end up with another pair of EB, which is fine, but it’s nice to hear from others. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, snickerplum said:

What pointe shoes are favorites here and why?

Dd12 has really liked her Bloch European Balance much better than the Heritage. Her feet are quite wide, and she has a disappearing heel. The EB seem to help there, but she also has super high arches and I want to make sure she’s supported there, too. 

I was hoping her current ones would last through Nutcracker, but no such luck. ?

We’ll more than likely end up with another pair of EB, which is fine, but it’s nice to hear from others. 

 

My daughter wears Freeds.  They make her feet look so good, but they are a pain to order.  No stores have her particular size and style in stock, so we have to special order them directly from Freed in London. We order 10-15 pair at a time. They take 2-3 months to make, so we always have to keep up with how many pairs she has left, so that we can place our next order in time. A pair of pointe shoes lasts her 2-4 weeks, but she uses several pairs at a time and rotates them, so that they have the opportunity to completely dry out between wearings.  She also uses a lot of jet glue to make them last as long as possible!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

My daughter wears Freeds.  They make her feet look so good, but they are a pain to order.  No stores have her particular size and style in stock, so we have to special order them directly from Freed in London. We order 10-15 pair at a time. They take 2-3 months to make, so we always have to keep up with how many pairs she has left, so that we can place our next order in time. A pair of pointe shoes lasts her 2-4 weeks, but she uses several pairs at a time and rotates them, so that they have the opportunity to completely dry out between wearings.  She also uses a lot of jet glue to make them last as long as possible!

 

 

Holy Smokes!!  I think I am going to die when my 4 girls are on pointe. 

Those are the some brand dd had this summer for her demi pointe at the place she was taking lessons.  At her current school she is not dancing on pointe or demi so no pointe shoes right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is the year going?  Odd has test this week to see if she is ready to go on pointe, next year I think?  

I don't think she will be ready.  She has only done pre-pointe this year and over the summer.  I think it will be another year.   I guess she will be late to going up.  Hopefully she can still advance to where she wants to go, since we get started to a good place late. 

 

Fun question how old are the Claras and Nutcrackers at your show this year? 

Our school tends to go young for Claras.  2 years ago one of the Claras was 13.  Last year they were 11 and 12.  This year they are 10 and 11.  

Nutcracker last year was ds and he was 9 this year it is a professional adult (which every other year it is too). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How is the year going?  Odd has test this week to see if she is ready to go on pointe, next year I think?  

I don't think she will be ready.  She has only done pre-pointe this year and over the summer.  I think it will be another year.   I guess she will be late to going up.  Hopefully she can still advance to where she wants to go, since we get started to a good place late. 

 

Fun question how old are the Claras and Nutcrackers at your show this year? 

Our school tends to go young for Claras.  2 years ago one of the Claras was 13.  Last year they were 11 and 12.  This year they are 10 and 11.  

Nutcracker last year was ds and he was 9 this year it is a professional adult (which every other year it is too). 

I wouldn't worry about it if your DD can't go up on pointe yet.  My daughter started pointe at age 10, but I don't know that she is better because of it.  I have seen girls start pointe late and catch right up to the girls who have been on pointe for a couple of years.  I don't think that starting at age 10 hurt my daughter in any way, but I don't think it was necessary either.  I think that she could have waited and been right where she is now.

My daughter was Clara when she was 12.  The typical age at the studio is 12-14.  Several years ago they were 10-11, but they changed the choreography to make it more challenging, so they upped the age range.

The Nutcracker in this show is a professional adult.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

I wouldn't worry about it if your DD can't go up on pointe yet.  My daughter started pointe at age 10, but I don't know that she is better because of it.  I have seen girls start pointe late and catch right up to the girls who have been on pointe for a couple of years.  I don't think that starting at age 10 hurt my daughter in any way, but I don't think it was necessary either.  I think that she could have waited and been right where she is now.

My daughter was Clara when she was 12.  The typical age at the studio is 12-14.  Several years ago they were 10-11, but they changed the choreography to make it more challenging, so they upped the age range.

The Nutcracker in this show is a professional adult.

 

 

How do they do the casting for Clara at your studio?  Our school they cast 2.  

I only worry for her because I don't know that she will have time to go through the levels at her ballet school.  She is in level 3 and there are 2 levels in 3.  Then there are levels 4, 5 and trainee.  I don't know if she will have enough time to go through the levels if she doesn't make it this year.  She is 12 and half years old.  I think the trainees are all high school students. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

 

How do they do the casting for Clara at your studio?  Our school they cast 2.  

I only worry for her because I don't know that she will have time to go through the levels at her ballet school.  She is in level 3 and there are 2 levels in 3.  Then there are levels 4, 5 and trainee.  I don't know if she will have enough time to go through the levels if she doesn't make it this year.  She is 12 and half years old.  I think the trainees are all high school students. 

There are two Claras cast each year at my DD's studio as well.

Ah, I see your concern. Every studio has their own structure and it sounds like ours is very different. Ours is set up so that there are separate levels that roughly correspond to the school grade level through 7th grade.  Then the dancers enter the advanced level.  There is Advanced A, B, C, and then trainee. Not everyone even gets to be a trainee.  Many kids do Advanced-A for a year, move to B the next year, and then C the next.  Then they stay in Advanced-C until they graduate.  My daughter skipped Advanced A and B and went right into C her first year.  Then the next year she became a trainee.  So, the path isn't the same for everyone in this studio.  It is hard to compare such different structures.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, edelweiss said:

There are two Claras cast each year at my DD's studio as well.

Ah, I see your concern. Every studio has their own structure and it sounds like ours is very different. Ours is set up so that there are separate levels that roughly correspond to the school grade level through 7th grade.  Then the dancers enter the advanced level.  There is Advanced A, B, C, and then trainee. Not everyone even gets to be a trainee.  Many kids do Advanced-A for a year, move to B the next year, and then C the next.  Then they stay in Advanced-C until they graduate.  My daughter skipped Advanced A and B and went right into C her first year.  Then the next year she became a trainee.  So, the path isn't the same for everyone in this studio.  It is hard to compare such different structures.  

 

I agree, everyone's path can be so different.  Congrats to your dd for moving up those levels.  Is she thinking about becoming a professional? 

I think I need to not worry and just support them and see how they develop.  I just feel awful because she won't have the same time to advance as her younger siblings.  We just started this ballet school last January after being at park and rec programs.   She is working so hard right now and loves it.  She is dancing about 10 hours a week plus she had 7 hours of rehearsals this week.  I  am so proud of her and all the other kids too.  They have found something they really love and working hard in it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Can we talk auditions for summer intensives? 

How many do you audition for? 

The photos do you print those off and bring them to the audition?  Or is it done virtually? 

What are the scholarships like for Summer Intensives?  I have read some people get merit ones, what is the based off of?  Just the audition?  Are they based on Financials at all? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ask your studio for guidance for the auditions. Don't do a ton that you don't have any interest in (this is an argument I'm having with ds. I'm not willing to pay for certain places, so no you cannot do the audition for there).

Each place has guidelines about photos. Most places do want the physical photos. Usually a photo in arabesque. Sometimes another in another position. Sometimes a headshot. Sometimes they did ask for them virtually. At your kids' age, it's okay to just snap the photos yourself. Get in the studio to do it though - you'll need the space and light. Or go outside. And take a bunch and let someone who knows dance (or your kid if she can assess herself) say if she's holding the position well. I seriously couldn't tell the difference between the one where ds was like, omg, so bad, and okay, that's fine.

Scholarships vary - some places have money to give, others rarely give. Yes, based on the audition for most places. Some places have ones based on financials, but I'm less sure about those. Ask your studio. They'll have a sense.

My limited understanding of intensives is that kids don't really need to go away to a big intensive until they're in their teens unless they're super gifted or unless you're somewhere without a decent local studio with a decent summer program. Choosing an intensive (in addition to the practical concerns like money and travel and dates) is about balancing between picking a place where the student will get the best training and a place where the student will get seen and build potential relationships for a future career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Ask your studio for guidance for the auditions. Don't do a ton that you don't have any interest in (this is an argument I'm having with ds. I'm not willing to pay for certain places, so no you cannot do the audition for there).

Each place has guidelines about photos. Most places do want the physical photos. Usually a photo in arabesque. Sometimes another in another position. Sometimes a headshot. Sometimes they did ask for them virtually. At your kids' age, it's okay to just snap the photos yourself. Get in the studio to do it though - you'll need the space and light. Or go outside. And take a bunch and let someone who knows dance (or your kid if she can assess herself) say if she's holding the position well. I seriously couldn't tell the difference between the one where ds was like, omg, so bad, and okay, that's fine.

Scholarships vary - some places have money to give, others rarely give. Yes, based on the audition for most places. Some places have ones based on financials, but I'm less sure about those. Ask your studio. They'll have a sense.

My limited understanding of intensives is that kids don't really need to go away to a big intensive until they're in their teens unless they're super gifted or unless you're somewhere without a decent local studio with a decent summer program. Choosing an intensive (in addition to the practical concerns like money and travel and dates) is about balancing between picking a place where the student will get the best training and a place where the student will get seen and build potential relationships for a future career.

 

Thanks.  We already had the photos taken by a professional.  There was a little guidance on which ones to do.  Mostly the big ones and ones that match the style. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

 

Thanks.  We already had the photos taken by a professional.  There was a little guidance on which ones to do.  Mostly the big ones and ones that match the style. 

I think the thing about some of the big ones is that at some, you're paying for the name and you're not getting good corrections or attention unless you're really the star there. But supposedly some of them are different or better. And some intensives from smaller places are supposed to be really good. Like several people have said to me that Central PA Youth Ballet has a great summer intensive, for example.

Ds has big dreams for this summer. I'm sure he'll get in a lot of places... sigh. Just need to figure out what makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I think the thing about some of the big ones is that at some, you're paying for the name and you're not getting good corrections or attention unless you're really the star there. But supposedly some of them are different or better. And some intensives from smaller places are supposed to be really good. Like several people have said to me that Central PA Youth Ballet has a great summer intensive, for example.

Ds has big dreams for this summer. I'm sure he'll get in a lot of places... sigh. Just need to figure out what makes sense.

 

I have heard the same thing from people on a dance board.  But then at our school they said to go to the top tier ones. 

I heard that too about CPYB.  What are the ages for that program?  I can't find it. 

I have no idea the chances of getting into ones at this point any how.  They are at a real disadvantage.  I was more thinking of going to someones that don't have auditions. 

What is your DS planning?  He hasn't gone away to one yet? 

Edited by mommyoffive
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

 

I have heard the same thing from people on a dance board.  But then at our school they said to go to the top tier ones. 

I heard that too about CPYB. 

I have no idea the chances of getting into ones at this point any how.  They are at a real disadvantage.  I was more thinking of going to someones that don't have auditions. 

What is your DS planning?  He hasn't gone away to one yet? 

There may be some politicking going on there... like, I think schools like to say that they sent students to such and such big summer intensive, whether it's really the best choice for the student.

I have zero clue about chances. Ds is at an advantage as a boy, obviously.

Last year, he auditioned for several for the experience and got into them, but didn't go. He stayed at his old studio, the one that done him wrong. In the end, it's probably what needed to happen as we spent that whole time in PT. This year, he's at a professional company studio instead of a youth ballet studio. He doesn't want to do their intensive and is finally excited to go away. I genuinely don't know the best options, so more experienced moms, feel free to chip in. He's talking about Pittsburgh, Boston, and Joffrey (in Chicago). He wants to do the audition for SAB as well, and I was like, um... I just don't see that happening. I mean, maybe, what the heck do I know. I'm supposed to go chat with one of his teachers or the upper division person or something soonish to get some guidance myself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dd's studio had a boy go to Boston for the year long trainee program - I am pretty sure he was happy with it. Another student went to Atlanta, and I think we've had students go to Pennsylvania as well. And there is the North Carolina School of the Arts- I think they have a summer Intensive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Can we talk auditions for summer intensives? 

How many do you audition for? 

The photos do you print those off and bring them to the audition?  Or is it done virtually? 

What are the scholarships like for Summer Intensives?  I have read some people get merit ones, what is the based off of?  Just the audition?  Are they based on Financials at all? 

I think that the number of intensives to audition for is an independent choice.  My daughter loves auditioning. She almost always has a fun time and just enjoys the process.  That being said, the past couple of years she has gotten into her top choices early, so there was no point to continue auditioning. So, last year she only auditioned for two  I think the most she has auditioned for in one year is 5.  This year she is planning to audition to 5-7 because she wants to check out some different intensives this year, but we'll see.  If she makes a choice early again, there won't be any point to continue auditioning.

One thing that is difficult with auditioning is that you have to coordinate your auditions with when you get your results (which isn't always easy to do).  Some intensives (like ABT) require you to give them an answer in two weeks or so.  If you audition with an intensive like this early, you might have to give them an answer before you have even had a chance to audition with other places.  

Scholarships vary depending on the intensive.  

Most intensives require you to bring pictures with you, but some do request them virtually.

My daughter has only gone to "top-tier" intensives, but we really researched them and didn't choose them only because of the name. CPYB is an excellent school and intensive.  That is always my daughter's "safety."  If she didn't get into anyplace else that she wanted, she would happily go there again.  CPYB has no auditions.  You just sign up and are accepted if there is room.  Once you get there, you are leveled appropriately.

I think that there are also some great hidden gems out there that are great options, but don't have the big "name."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

I think that the number of intensives to audition for is an independent choice.  My daughter loves auditioning. She almost always has a fun time and just enjoys the process.  That being said, the past couple of years she has gotten into her top choices early, so there was no point to continue auditioning. So, last year she only auditioned for two  I think the most she has auditioned for in one year is 5.  This year she is planning to audition to 5-7 because she wants to check out some different intensives this year, but we'll see.  If she makes a choice early again, there won't be any point to continue auditioning.

One thing that is difficult with auditioning is that you have to coordinate your auditions with when you get your results (which isn't always easy to do).  Some intensives (like ABT) require you to give them an answer in two weeks or so.  If you audition with an intensive like this early, you might have to give them an answer before you have even had a chance to audition with other places.  

Scholarships vary depending on the intensive.  

Most intensives require you to bring pictures with you, but some do request them virtually.

My daughter has only gone to "top-tier" intensives, but we really researched them and didn't choose them only because of the name. CPYB is an excellent school and intensive.  That is always my daughter's "safety."  If she didn't get into anyplace else that she wanted, she would happily go there again.  CPYB has no auditions.  You just sign up and are accepted if there is room.  Once you get there, you are leveled appropriately.

I think that there are also some great hidden gems out there that are great options, but don't have the big "name."

 

Oh my gosh.  I didn't know that.  Thanks.  That sounds so confusing.  Ugh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are in the THICK of Nutcracker. I’m so tired already, I can’t imagine the children’s level of exhaustion. 

We have 5 performances and 5 casts. We are a small school, so it’s not like they’re trying to give everyone a chance to perform. Everyone is performing every night, just it could be in different roles. 

Im helping with costumes and it’s crazy! 

Our Claras are both 13 I think and our Nutcracker is 19 I believe. But I think there are 2 Nutcrackers. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, snickerplum said:

We are in the THICK of Nutcracker. I’m so tired already, I can’t imagine the children’s level of exhaustion. 

We have 5 performances and 5 casts. We are a small school, so it’s not like they’re trying to give everyone a chance to perform. Everyone is performing every night, just it could be in different roles. 

Im helping with costumes and it’s crazy! 

Our Claras are both 13 I think and our Nutcracker is 19 I believe. But I think there are 2 Nutcrackers. 

 

 

That is funny to me that you have 5 casts, but everyone is in every show.  That is kind of cool to have different roles each time.  Some other mom told me about a place that did that.  Is it hard for the kids to learn all their roles?   I think it is nice that they all get to try different things. 

We have 10 shows, 2 casts.  Some people are both casts so they do every show.  Some are just in one cast so they only do 5 shows.  They all have the same parts every show. 

Nutcracker hell week this week.  They had rehearsals all day Sat and Sun.  Today is off.  Then tech, spacing, and dress rehearsals Tuesday, Wed, and Thursday.  Show on Friday, Sat, Sunday and then back to classes on Monday.  The rehearsals this week go until 10pm and we are an hour away.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know, the way they do it here is everyone learns every dance and then the cast list is made. I don’t think the girls mind, I believe the hardest part is the anticipation leading up the cast list being posted. Also, if you continually biff your steps after the cast list has been made you can be replaced since there are other girls who know the role. 

Yes, starting last week until the shows in 2 weeks we only have Sundays off. It’s harder on my younger dancers, but my oldest loves it. She would sleep at the studio if I let her. She has two new roles this year and is super excited. It’s the first Nutcracker for my littles. At first I was super excited for all three dancers (I have one who would rather give up dessert than perform) to be in stage at the same time, but it’s so hard to watch because I can’t focus on anyone without ignoring the others. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Oh well, that’s what DVDs are for I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, snickerplum said:

You know, the way they do it here is everyone learns every dance and then the cast list is made. I don’t think the girls mind, I believe the hardest part is the anticipation leading up the cast list being posted. Also, if you continually biff your steps after the cast list has been made you can be replaced since there are other girls who know the role. 

Yes, starting last week until the shows in 2 weeks we only have Sundays off. It’s harder on my younger dancers, but my oldest loves it. She would sleep at the studio if I let her. She has two new roles this year and is super excited. It’s the first Nutcracker for my littles. At first I was super excited for all three dancers (I have one who would rather give up dessert than perform) to be in stage at the same time, but it’s so hard to watch because I can’t focus on anyone without ignoring the others. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Oh well, that’s what DVDs are for I guess. 

 

Wow they learn all the dances?  So neat.  That last part makes sense that they have so many to replace people if needed. 

My kids love it too.  It is a big ordeal for us since we live so far away and I am always asking if they think it is worth it and still want to do it.  The answer is always yes.  Such a neat experience and memory for them and us.  All my 4 older kids are in it with dh.  Next year it will be the youngest too hopefully.  It is in a huge performance area and with a live professional orchestra.  I have to remind myself of this as we are about to go through so much work. 

How old are you littles?  Our AD wanted our youngest in it this year, at the time she was going through a horrible tantrum stage so we opted for no.  Maybe she would have been fine, but who knows.  There is always next year.  It is a hard for the littles.  Being silent backstage, long nights and days.   Have you had a show yet?  That is where it pays off for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our younger two are 8 (son) and 9 (daughter). My 9 yo has taken dance for a few years, but my this is my son’s first year. My 12 year old has been taking ballet since she was 6. 

Our Nutcracker weekend has not started yet, but their fall performances were about a month or so ago, so I think the energy from those is keeping them going. Me, not quite as much. 😆

I’m looking forward to Christmas break for sure this year. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is our first Nut with the professional ballet and it's SO MUCH EASIER than the youth ballet. The rehearsal schedule was worse, but now that it's during the run, it's better. Fewer shows because there are more casts and the call times and release times aren't as bad. Also, because he's doing a non-dancing part that some of the male company members also do, he gets to feel all grown up by getting to sign in with the real professionals (he also has a dancing part in the party scene). Because he's the oldest for the party scene, he several times has gotten to lead the warm ups for the little kids and you should hear how proud he sounds. Ds still has class some days but the group is so much smaller that he's been liking class even more. And the big downtown theater is so much closer than the place in the suburbs where the youth ballet performs.

Now, I may not be feeling this way when he has to perform on Christmas Eve. But still.

I keep telling people that it's possible we're still in the honeymoon phase with the new studio and that a year from now, I may be unhappy with them, but right now, I can't get over how happy he is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Farrar said:

This is our first Nut with the professional ballet and it's SO MUCH EASIER than the youth ballet. The rehearsal schedule was worse, but now that it's during the run, it's better. Fewer shows because there are more casts and the call times and release times aren't as bad. Also, because he's doing a non-dancing part that some of the male company members also do, he gets to feel all grown up by getting to sign in with the real professionals (he also has a dancing part in the party scene). Because he's the oldest for the party scene, he several times has gotten to lead the warm ups for the little kids and you should hear how proud he sounds. Ds still has class some days but the group is so much smaller that he's been liking class even more. And the big downtown theater is so much closer than the place in the suburbs where the youth ballet performs.

Now, I may not be feeling this way when he has to perform on Christmas Eve. But still.

I keep telling people that it's possible we're still in the honeymoon phase with the new studio and that a year from now, I may be unhappy with them, but right now, I can't get over how happy he is.

 

Aww that is just awesome.  Makes you feel so much better.  I always think about switching places and wonder if it is the right move or if my kids will hate it.  How many shows is he in?  

Yeah we have one Christmas eve too.  Luckily it is early so we can still get back and do our normal stuff. 

I found out yesterday that my oldest gets to do warm ups with the pros.  Maybe my second too. So cool.  My kids have only been at this school for less than a year.  Before they were at a rec place.  I remember last year watching the pros warm up and it was like watching people talk in a foreign language.  It was stuff that they had never ever been taught.  I brought out my oldest and had her watch it and was asking if she understood any of it.  She said no.  It was blowing her mind.  Way over her head.  But now she knows how to do that stuff and she understands the terms.  I can't believe how far they all have come in less than a year.  Honestly I that is what I am most excited about is watching her warm up with the pros.  I will only get to see it this week at the rehearsals, but I can't wait. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, snickerplum said:

Our younger two are 8 (son) and 9 (daughter). My 9 yo has taken dance for a few years, but my this is my son’s first year. My 12 year old has been taking ballet since she was 6. 

Our Nutcracker weekend has not started yet, but their fall performances were about a month or so ago, so I think the energy from those is keeping them going. Me, not quite as much. 😆

I’m looking forward to Christmas break for sure this year. 

 

 

You guys has a fall show too?  No wonder you are tired.   Enjoy your break.  I can't wait for it but then the kids drive me nuts at home so it is kind of win/lose. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

 

Aww that is just awesome.  Makes you feel so much better.  I always think about switching places and wonder if it is the right move or if my kids will hate it.  How many shows is he in?  

Yeah we have one Christmas eve too.  Luckily it is early so we can still get back and do our normal stuff. 

I found out yesterday that my oldest gets to do warm ups with the pros.  Maybe my second too. So cool.  My kids have only been at this school for less than a year.  Before they were at a rec place.  I remember last year watching the pros warm up and it was like watching people talk in a foreign language.  It was stuff that they had never ever been taught.  I brought out my oldest and had her watch it and was asking if she understood any of it.  She said no.  It was blowing her mind.  Way over her head.  But now she knows how to do that stuff and she understands the terms.  I can't believe how far they all have come in less than a year.  Honestly I that is what I am most excited about is watching her warm up with the pros.  I will only get to see it this week at the rehearsals, but I can't wait. 

I think 14 shows in all? He's in two of six casts.

I really thought that being at a youth ballet was better - I mean, it was still a pre-pro program, with a "pro" company - the kind that's all teens and not actually professionals. I had in my head that it was better because they weren't training them for a specific body type/look like so many companies have and that they were the real focus instead of being a pool of potential future dancers for the company who would inevitably all be winnowed out. I'd always heard that being at a company school, all the kids were just fighting to get into the junior company one day. And while it's true that now ds's dream is to get into the training program there, so far I'm not finding it to be the case. Like, yeah, he'll never be able to have a big part in their productions because that will always go to the adults. But he gets the benefit of so many more teachers - his main teacher is a company member who he just loves. And they do showcase performances three times a year instead that are focused on the kids - all level 5 and up. So, like I said, it's possibly still the honeymoon, but overall we're finding it to be better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...