Menu

Was: Would you take the antibiotic? Now: Favorite movie while on antibiotic? :)

PeterPan

Update: I'm taking the antibiotic. Any suggestions on movies to watch? Apparently I need to rest a while. Bonus if it's on amazon prime or netflix.  :thumbup:

I called the pulmonologist, thinking he would call me in a scrip for prednisone, and he threw in an antibiotic "just to be safe." I've been fighting this flu bug that has been going around for at least 1 1/2 weeks (fatigued, then fully sick). I've taken mucinex and doubled my Arnuity (preventative inhaler) to keep my lungs in check, and I was really patting myself like oo this worked! My numbers were good on my peak flow meter, within 10%. Then yesterday they started going down, and today they've been down, like 20% down even with rescue inhalers and the continued twice a day (double the normal) of Arnuity.

I don't think I have fluid in my ears, but I don't know how to know. I might and might not realize it. I don't have sinus congestion. I have an occasional cough that increases as the mucinex wears off. My mucus with the coughing is small (dime) and faint cream. The thing that concerns me, and the reason I called, is because my lungs were hurting (like you rub your chest cuz they hurt) and the wheezing with the decrease in breath. 

The lungs hurting isn't something I've noticed before. Overall I don't seem even that terribly sick. Well that's not true, I have a low fever (1-2 degrees) and in the last hour had some occasional chills. I'm kind of loopy from all the mucinex and inhalers and I'm forgetting things, dropping things, and really slow. But just to look at me and go oh man she's sick, no. I also have not needed to be in bed with it. I decreased my thyroid supplements trying to let my adrenals put all their energy into this.

So I don't know. The predisone is an hour in and I'm perking up a little. I had asked why the antibiotic and the nurse said if there's a fever there's probably infection. And there could be in my ears I suppose. (I wouldn't know.) They're not overtly anything to me right now. But my lungs are pretty funky, even though I'm not hocking up anything. And even though I wasn't quite to "hit by a mac truck" this morning, I'm actually going downhill over the course of the day.

Is it just so early in it I don't realize how right the doc is? Can the weird lung stuff be infection without hocking up green? I don't want to take an antibiotic if I don't NEED it, but I do need to get well. Any advice? Btdt?

Adding, for those who don't know, it's a pulmonologist because I have mild, intermittent asthma that is normally well-controlled. I was just on antibiotics before Thanksgiving for the same gig (bug went into lungs, boom, green mucus and mac truck), so I've been fighting like crazy not to have that happen again. I really thought I was going to come to the other side, sigh.

Edited by PeterPan

Yes,  This sounds typical of pneumonia.

For real? I thought I needed to be hocking up green. I mean, not to be gross, just saying. Sigh. And I tried so hard. I took mucinex twice a day, even though it makes me loopy. I used so much Arnuity and albuterol I could have been a balloon.

Just doesn't encourage me I can stop it and do better next time. I mean, I didn't have tons of mucus. It just tightened up ANYWAY.

I might take it if you don't have a particular reason to avoid.  

I wouldn't tend to assume though that fever and chills means a bacterial infection - I always get that with things like flu or colds.

You wouldn't look at me now and say I have the flu or a cold though. It's just my lungs hurt and my breathing is down 20%. Means I'm red in the face and loopy, dropping things, not feeling right. Not quite walking sideways, but not my usually pizzazzy self. 

I think maybe the doctor saw where this was going and caught it right as it was changing. I just hate it. I hear these stories about people becoming allergic to antibiotics and I was trying to be careful.

I'm actually feeling kind of tired now, which is weird. Start the prednisone, get warm and tired? Whatever. Good excuse to rest. Normally I stand on my feet all day keeping up with ds. I know, whine whine, but it's not very conducive to resting. And if I don't do it, then there's no body working with him and his autism kicks in and he's hard to bring back. Whine whine. But tomorrow we'll outsource. We'll keep our appt and then send him to his awesome aunt. 

Any movies? I watched Decoy Bride from the other thread, and it was really dumb. Watched Trolls, and that's actually intelligent in comparison, which means something is really messed up with me when I'm thinking Trolls is good.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Best movies to watch when you're relaxing? Name them and I'll look them up. Bonus if it's on amazon prime or netflix.  :thumbup:

You wouldn't look at me now and say I have the flu or a cold though. It's just my lungs hurt and my breathing is down 20%. Means I'm red in the face and loopy, dropping things, not feeling right. Not quite walking sideways, but not my usually pizzazzy self. 

I think maybe the doctor saw where this was going and caught it right as it was changing. I just hate it. I hear these stories about people becoming allergic to antibiotics and I was trying to be careful.

I'm actually feeling kind of tired now, which is weird. Start the prednisone, get warm and tired? Whatever. Good excuse to rest. Normally I stand on my feet all day keeping up with ds. I know, whine whine, but it's not very conducive to resting. And if I don't do it, then there's no body working with him and his autism kicks in and he's hard to bring back. Whine whine. But tomorrow we'll outsource. We'll keep our appt and then send him to his awesome aunt. 

Any movies? I watched Decoy Bride from the other thread, and it was really dumb. Watched Trolls, and that's actually intelligent in comparison, which means something is really messed up with me when I'm thinking Trolls is good.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Best movies to watch when you're relaxing? Name them and I'll look them up. Bonus if it's on amazon prime or netflix.  :thumbup:

Rarely taking antibiotics will not cause most people to become allergic to them.  (I was on 8 different classes of antibiotics for six months straight one year and seven months straight another because of immunodeficiency issues.  I am still not allergic to most of them - except for one.  I was switched to different ones because they stopped working after a time and I was still very sick.) 

You sound like you are asthmatic?  Most likely the prednisone will help you the most.  But there is some evidence that you are at a higher risk of infection if you have asthma.  Your doctor wants to be careful because of that.

I tend to like to binge watch things like Psych or White Collar. 

• Like 1

Hmm.  I usually ike meaty dramas, but not when I'm lightheaded, I get crazy dreams.

What about Grease - it's on Canadian Netflix.

Yeah, I got my first case of pneumonia while watching through The Twighlight Zone, so now I try to stay funny. I got traumatized or superstitious or something, like maybe the scary shows made me sick, lol.  Is the Canadian Grease like the old movie? I'll have to look it up.

Hmmm, I don’t know if it’s on Netflix or prime.... but my favorite movie is “you’ve got mailâ€. It just makes life better!

:grouphug: I hope you’re better soon!

Oh that is a fun one! You're right, watching a string of fun Meg Ryan movies would be PERFECT...

• Like 1

Rarely taking antibiotics will not cause most people to become allergic to them.  (I was on 8 different classes of antibiotics for six months straight one year and seven months straight another because of immunodeficiency issues.  I am still not allergic to most of them - except for one.  I was switched to different ones because they stopped working after a time and I was still very sick.) 

You sound like you are asthmatic?  Most likely the prednisone will help you the most.  But there is some evidence that you are at a higher risk of infection if you have asthma.  Your doctor wants to be careful because of that.

I tend to like to binge watch things like Psych or White Collar. 

Yup, I think I had mild asthma for a long time, skated by, and then it flared up a couple years ago after a really bad case of pneumonia. Since then (1 1/2 years ago? I forget), I've been on antibiotics 3-4 times. The 2nd time the doc referred me to a pulmonologist with some cryptic comment about my ears being too clean, which actually is code for a bum immune system I guess. So now, when I get a bug, when I'm stressed, boom. And I was actually beating this bug and I got really stressed over my ds, ate too much sugar, and lost the war. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing your antibiotics stories, wow. I was afraid a few times and I'd be a goner, with nothing left to take. 

Oh Psych, hahaha. I haven't seen White Collar, so I'll look that up.

Yup, I think I had mild asthma for a long time, skated by, and then it flared up a couple years ago after a really bad case of pneumonia. Since then (1 1/2 years ago? I forget), I've been on antibiotics 3-4 times. The 2nd time the doc referred me to a pulmonologist with some cryptic comment about my ears being too clean, which actually is code for a bum immune system I guess. So now, when I get a bug, when I'm stressed, boom. And I was actually beating this bug and I got really stressed over my ds, ate too much sugar, and lost the war. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing your antibiotics stories, wow. I was afraid a few times and I'd be a goner, with nothing left to take. 

Oh Psych, hahaha. I haven't seen White Collar, so I'll look that up.

I would take a good quality probiotic (I like Ultimate Flora by Renew Life) one hour after taking the antibiotics.  Or Florastor which is actually a beneficial yeast. 

• Like 2

No movie suggestions, but just wanted to say that your symptoms sound exactly like the walking pneumonia I had 3 years ago. Never coughed up anything, but the on and off low fever, fatigue, chills, need to rest--yep! Hope the antibiotics get you feeling better soon. Though for me, while I could see a difference each day, complete healing took a few weeks.

• Like 2

Yeah, I got my first case of pneumonia while watching through The Twighlight Zone, so now I try to stay funny. I got traumatized or superstitious or something, like maybe the scary shows made me sick, lol.  Is the Canadian Grease like the old movie? I'll have to look it up.

Oh that is a fun one! You're right, watching a string of fun Meg Ryan movies would be PERFECT...

Yup ,with Jon and Olivia.

• Like 1

No movie suggestions, but just wanted to say that your symptoms sound exactly like the walking pneumonia I had 3 years ago. Never coughed up anything, but the on and off low fever, fatigue, chills, need to rest--yep! Hope the antibiotics get you feeling better soon. Though for me, while I could see a difference each day, complete healing took a few weeks.

Ok, I've heard that term but I didn't know what it was! I had seen something about mycoplasma. I have no clue. Anyways, yeah, it's pretty funky. And yeah, it was definitely the right call to take the antibiotics. My lungs started feeling better within about 3 hours. It was definitely the right call. My body was declining over the afternoon, so I didn't even realize how precarious I was.

• Like 4

Any Pride and Prejudice adaption. :)

Love 'em!! 

I have Amazon Prime

Endeavour and Lewis are both good, as is Monk.

I added Monk to my watchlist. I don't know why I've never watched it before. I ended up watching some episodes of Psych tonight, so that worked out well. 

• Like 1

Hope you're feeling better soon! Sorry you've had to deal with this twice in the last little while. I can understand why you're reluctant to go on antibiotics again. Are they exactly the same type, or a different version? 

I've been watching Netflix a lot this winter because I've been sick as well. Most recently I've watched Jerry Sienfeld's Comedians in Cars getting Coffee. It's a good laugh.  Black Books and The IT Crowd are great British comedy shows on Netflix (Canada), as well.  I find that I really need some good laughs lately. Being sick is annoying and makes me cranky. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1